PDA

View Full Version : Did I make the right decision?? [long]

Perfect Mixer
01-14-2005, 08:45 PM
I really want an HTM SR-24, but the wife talked me into an Advantage 28 party cat. Not sure if I made the right decision though. Back in August of last year she gave the green light on a new boat. She told me "just get whatever you want". I've been drooling over the HTM for at least 4 years now. We went to the Long Beach boat show and my decision about deck boat vs sport boat was swayed by talking to the people at Magic. I had no idea about the insurance cost on sports boats (I know, CLUELESS!) and decided to go with a deck boat (give me a break, I'm new here). After spending a couple of hours looking over the offerings at Long Beach I put the order on an Advantage. Well, fast forward to today, I get a call from Dorian at HTM, and he tells me that he's got an insurance co that can insure an SR-24 with a mild 496 HO for less than $2K per year. I've already written the build check ($7900) to advantage, but really want the HTM. Besides, she told me whatever "I" want. I just don't know what to do. The only reason I got the advantage was the insurance cost and my wifeÂ’s push to get a deck boat instead of what I really want. I'm I doing the right thing??? I know that everyone has their favorite, I just like the HTM a lot!

dicudmore
01-14-2005, 08:48 PM
mmm tough call. HTM is a love-it or hate-it thing....
I love the ride of a cat, but I'm thinking of a deck myself now it seems like everytime we go out I'm looking for more space....

HOOTER SLED-
01-14-2005, 08:50 PM
SO get an HTM deckboat knucklehead!!! ;)

Perfect Mixer
01-14-2005, 08:52 PM
SO get an HTM deckboat knucklehead!!! ;)
She didn't like it. The seats in the front where too low.

Kilrtoy
01-14-2005, 08:57 PM
Only you can answer the question, We think the Deck boat is sweet, but that is us, NOT YOU. But as far as the price for that insurance with a MILD 496, YEAH, good luck on that in a 24' boat.
Go to search and punch in cats, insurnace, tunnel boat, you get the picture. Guys are getting canned right and left. alot of company will not insure cats with 500HPin that small of a boat, from what I have read

DEEZ NUTTS
01-14-2005, 08:59 PM
I THINK YOU DID RIGHT 2000$ this year for ins, how much next,i want a 30' cat but 3500$$ a year ,thats alot of fuel/beer good times :D
Hey T & B! Buy the damn cat wuss!

HOOTER SLED-
01-14-2005, 08:59 PM
She didn't like it. The seats in the front where too low.
Didn't she say get whatever you want???? Think about what kind of boating you'll do. Do you enjoy speed? Are you more of a drop anchor in a cove and kick it kinda guy. Don't get so caught up what you like the looks of. Better yet, think about the functionality of the boat you will buy. Is this your first boat?

Perfect Mixer
01-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Didn't she say get whatever you want???? Think about what kind of boating you'll do. Do you enjoy speed? Are you more of a drop anchor in a cove and kick it kinda guy. Don't get so caught up what you like the looks of. Better yet, think about the functionality of the boat you will buy. Is this your first boat?
I've had a few of boats so far, but nothing to this magnitude. I started with a '94 Chris Craft 19' to a 23' Sleek craft jet. Right now, I've got a '21 Mirage jet. I love speed, but the fam would rather sit in a cove a kick it. Going to a cat because of the ride. Wife can't handle the bouncing of a V any more.

Jrocket
01-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Yes you did.

HOOTER SLED-
01-14-2005, 09:12 PM
I've had a few of boats so far, but nothing to this magnitude. I started with a '94 Chris Craft 19' to a 23' Sleek craft jet. Right now, I've got a '21 Mirage jet. I love speed, but the fam would rather sit in a cove a kick it. Going to a cat because of the ride. Wife can't handle the bouncing of a V any more.
You should try to test ride some boats to see what you like too. You've had some small Vees. Buying a cat doesn't necessarily mean you will lose the bounce.

Phat Daddy
01-14-2005, 09:26 PM
I really want an HTM SR-24, but the wife talked me into an Advantage 28 party cat. Not sure if I made the right decision though. Back in August of last year she gave the green light on a new boat. She told me "just get whatever you want". I've been drooling over the HTM for at least 4 years now. We went to the Long Beach boat show and my decision about deck boat vs sport boat was swayed by talking to the people at Magic. I had no idea about the insurance cost on sports boats (I know, CLUELESS!) and decided to go with a deck boat (give me a break, I'm new here). After spending a couple of hours looking over the offerings at Long Beach I put the order on an Advantage. Well, fast forward to today, I get a call from Dorian at HTM, and he tells me that he's got an insurance co that can insure an SR-24 with a mild 496 HO for less than $2K per year. I've already written the build check ($7900) to advantage, but really want the HTM. Besides, she told me whatever "I" want. I just don't know what to do. The only reason I got the advantage was the insurance cost and my wifeÂ’s push to get a deck boat instead of what I really want. I'm I doing the right thing??? I know that everyone has their favorite, I just like the HTM a lot!
Like you said in your opening statement, you got to go with what you want. Your wife gave you the green light. You'll be on the water looking at that HTM saying "man i should of got that boat".

phebus
01-14-2005, 09:29 PM
You wouldn't be happy with the HTM with a 496. Deckboat is the only way to go. Don't look back, you did the right thing.

dicudmore
01-14-2005, 10:43 PM
bounce = too small of a V :cool:

dicudmore
01-14-2005, 10:44 PM
You wouldn't be happy with the HTM with a 496. Deckboat is the only way to go. Don't look back, you did the right thing.
what he said.....
that boat isn't happy without big HP :D

Perfect Mixer
01-14-2005, 10:53 PM
OK, I feel better now. Thanks for the input folks. I know that I'd want more than a 496 HO for the HTM. That just kills the insurance. Well the Advantage should be ready in April. Thanks again.

RiverOtter
01-15-2005, 04:44 AM
Ok, I'll chime in. I think you did the right thing. Here's why... Women (especially wives) never mean "get whatever you want". If you have or are starting a family the deck is a waaaaaay better choice. That 24 HTM would feel like a 18' boat with a couple of kids and your gear on it.

Eliminator 4 Life
01-15-2005, 06:49 AM
No matter what boat you get you will want something bigger in a year :D I have had my boat for a year and I want a 28' daytona now :confused: SO get the Advantage then in a few years get a HTM :idea:

THOR
01-15-2005, 06:50 AM
You cant go wrong with that choice IMO. Enjoy

Mandelon
01-15-2005, 09:56 AM
If you get what YOU want, and wife is not happy. You know what will happen. She'll be a pain whenever you're all on it. The whole family rides on it, so you need to get the craft that will work for all needs.
"Get what you want" is woman code for "I hope he picks the right thing to keep me happy" Sheesh. How long you been married???? :hammer2: :D

THOR
01-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Compromise is the key. The wife wanted to keep the old boat because of the roomyness, but she wasnt the one that had to start fixing $hit when it went wrong. She wanted to go bigger on the new one, but again she isnt the one that had to pour the concrete on the side of the house, build a cover system, etc.
So, we got a boat we boat liked.

mike37
01-15-2005, 01:22 PM
I pay $85 a month insurance for my HTM sr24 496ho
but I want more power so my insurance will go up

Perfect Mixer
01-15-2005, 07:40 PM
"Get what you want" is woman code for "I hope he picks the right thing to keep me happy" Sheesh. How long you been married???? :hammer2: :D
13 years and still learning!
I pay $85 a month insurance for my HTM sr24 496ho
but I want more power so my insurance will go up
Sounds good, but I'd be buggin' for more power too.
So, we got a boat we boat liked.
I right there with you!

Debbolas
01-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Hey T & B! Buy the damn cat wuss!
He has to sell his boat first..............LOL :D

Dribble
01-16-2005, 04:36 PM
If that's your wife in your avatar, you did the right thing.

Excessive Force
01-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Like you said in your opening statement, you got to go with what you want. Your wife gave you the green light. You'll be on the water looking at that HTM saying "man i should of got that boat".
I have to agree, you might regret it later.

Perfect Mixer
01-17-2005, 10:02 PM
If that's your wife in your avatar, you did the right thing.
That's actually a girl friend of ours. My wife's are bigger hence the reason she wants a smoother riding boat.