PDA

View Full Version : El. Fuel pump location?

crf311
01-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Where is the best place to try and mount a el. fuel pump. I'm assuming it is like on a car and one would want and try to get it below the fuel tanks. This will be kind of hard to do. Should I just try to get it as low as possible? Thanks

Ol Yeller
01-15-2005, 08:50 PM
As close to the tank and as low to the tank as possible, pump motor side up.

steelcomp
01-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Something else you might consider. Run your fuel pump off a relay instead of running a wire from the battery, to the dash, and all the way back to the pump. This is why more guys burn up pumps than anything.

CARLSON-JET
01-15-2005, 09:03 PM
how about a bow tank? I was torn when I placed my fuel pump .. back by the bilge where it is even lower then the bottom of the bow tank and somewhat safe back by the bilge. or up under the deck where if there was a problem the fuel would be closer to the passengers? I chose the bilge .. thought it was the least of two evils ..

Fogged Gullwing
01-15-2005, 09:10 PM
The only way to have an electric pump live is to gravity feed it. trying to draw out thru the top of the tank will cause some problems. The fuel itself is what cools the pumps. Steelcomp is right you must run a relay the voltage drop fom the dash to the pump is way too much. I took my tanks out rinsed them with water let them dry for days and had them install a bung at the bottom of the tank.
Hope this helps BK

steelcomp
01-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Wish I could do that. My tanks sit down in the outer sponsons...can't get to the bottom, and there isn't enough room behind the tank...it sits too close to the transom. I think for my new deal, I'm going to weld a bung at the rear, as low in the tank as possible with a 1/2" pick up tube bent to reach the bottom.

crf311
01-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the info. Been out of town for a while.