PDA

View Full Version : moving jet back

jstwkd
01-06-2002, 10:56 AM
Does anyone have any advice on moving jet back in boat 12jg berk. good/bad??????

HammerDown
01-06-2002, 11:29 AM
I'm in the process of doing that very job to my 21 Daytona...As far as I can tell the results should be all positive! However I'm leaving the last 1-1/2 inches of Hull and Transome in the boat. This should keep that area of the boat nice and strong for all the hammering it gets on my local water ways. There's a long thread on the other site ya might want to check out. Many questions there were answered about this topic. It would save me some typing...and we all know how bad my spelling is!!!
[This message has been edited by HammerDown (edited January 06, 2002).]
[This message has been edited by HammerDown (edited January 06, 2002).]

jstwkd
01-06-2002, 12:31 PM
Dont want to sound stupid but what other site?Is threre a kit for the berk or do i need to purchase another jet.I originaly seen it on the legend web site.

HammerDown
01-06-2002, 03:46 PM
Don't even think about sounding stupid!!! That how we (ALL) learn...ask questions. Try this hope it works!!! http://www.banderlog.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/6.html

greg shoemaker
01-06-2002, 06:08 PM
Why do you want to set your pump back?????Greg

rivercrazy
01-07-2002, 09:51 AM
I've always heard that a set back installation (done correctly) will perform better than a non-set back installation. The reasons are better weight distribution, the addition of a machined ride plate and shoe
Greg is this true?

hottrodder
01-07-2002, 09:58 AM
The set back has nothing to do with a ride plate and or shoe. Non set back installs can still make use of these. As for weight distribution the general rule with jet boats is the further back the better.

jstwkd
01-07-2002, 10:38 AM
I was looking for more room and better performance.Thuoght is would get on plane faster,easier to work on?All I actually care about is getting it to go faster no blower or turbo would like to be around 90 MPH or more.

greg shoemaker
01-09-2002, 06:27 AM
Well if moving the pump back is to generate more room thats a good idea. If moving the pump back is to generate more performance there would be other areas I would look at before I would go to the expense of moving the pump back. Carrera moves the pump back in stock production boats and we learned that they was no significant gain by moving the pump back a few inches. What people don't realize that on an angled transom boat the pump is already pretty far back. Take a flat transom boat and it give's the impression that the pump is way back but but look at the relationship to the back of the intake and the back of the boat. Bottom straightness is going to give you more return than moving the pump back. Droop Snoot , Place diverter, proper intake hardware and ride plate and shoe a lot of times will generate that performance rather than moving the pump back.Don't think I'm against of moving the pump back but think about your options before making this move. R&R pump remove intake repair bottom of boat, reset intake, reinstall pump, reset engine redo interior a lot of work for minimal gain. Greg

jstwkd
01-13-2002, 09:38 AM
Greg Im new to boats how do I tell if I have any of these items. I know I dont have a droop snoot.But not sure about the rest.Sounds like the only reason for moving my jet would be space.Are agressore or legend jets any good.

HammerDown
01-13-2002, 09:46 AM
Oops, I changed my mind!
[This message has been edited by HammerDown (edited January 13, 2002).]

PC Rat
01-13-2002, 03:26 PM
So if I'm looking for more room, say to install a Jet Away, what are the disadvantages of moving the engine forward? My boat is a PlaceCraft that runs in the 90s, shooting for 96mph this summer.

bigbadnicster
01-16-2002, 12:59 AM
MY CHALLENGER HAS THE SAME PUMP AND MY JET IS SET BACK 2 INCHES. MY PARTNER HAS SAME BOAT ONLY STOCK SET UP AND HE LIKE THE WAY MY BOAT RUNS. I HAVE A RIDE PLATE TO WITH A DROOP SNOOP WHICH DID MAKE A BIG DIFFERCE AT THE END OF SUMMER WHEN I PUT IT ON. MY BOAT IS IN THE PROCESS OF FULL STRINGERS AND FIXING THE BUTCHER JOB THE PREVIOUS OWNER DID ON THE REAR TRANSOM. HEY IF YOU GOT THE TIME DO IT EVERYONE I TALK TO THAT HAS DONE THAT HAS BEEN HAPPY