PDA

View Full Version : 496ho = 550hp

shadow
01-15-2005, 09:35 PM
RAYLAR set up complete.(typo in title 525HP)
496HO @ 525HP.
RAYLAR team Ray & Larry came to Havasu and Aaron being the awesome person that he is let us pretty much take over his shop and worked his ass off on this little project.
Ray and Larry showed us thier way of assembling thier product after all thier research and devlopment they definately have got this figured out.
After a few long days and nights we finally fired the motor last night at about 1:30 am freezing our asses off.Fired right up and purred,sound healthier and rock solid,by far not the same 496HO we started with.
Considering water conditions before with 2 passengers in the boat approx,60gals fuel,and about 500lbs of stereo equipment.
Time to plane 15 seconds,top speed 66.8mph. (spinning a 24 pitch prop)
Today(spinning a 26 prop) after Raylar with all the same wieght now 4 passengers time to plane was CUT MORE THAN 1/2. Now time to plane was
7 seconds.
we ran out of prop before achieving top speed.We were banging the rev limiter @ 75mph. after putting the right prop on I see no reason why it shouldn't hit 80mph.
We are not done testing,just done for today.next time out will most definately bring even better results.
This is an awesome set up and anyone with a 496 that wants to run with a Merc 525 heres the answer.

dicudmore
01-15-2005, 09:37 PM
RAYLAR set up complete.
496HO @ 525HP.
RAYLAR team Ray & Larry came to Havasu and Aaron being the awesome person that he is let us pretty much take over his shop and worked his ass off on this little project.
Ray and Larry showed us thier way of assembling thier product after all thier research and devlopment they definately have got this figured out.
After a few long days and nights we finally fired the motor last night at about 1:30 am freezing our asses off.Fired right up and purred,sound healthier and rock solid,by far not the same 496HO we started with.
Considering water conditions before with 2 passengers in the boat approx,60gals fuel,and about 500lbs of stereo equipment.
Time to plane 15 seconds,top speed 66.8mph. (spinning a 24 pitch prop)
Today(spinning a 26 prop) after Raylar with all the same wieght now 4 passengers time to plane was CUT MORE THAN 1/2. Now time to plane was
7 seconds.
we ran out of prop before achieving top speed.We were banging the rev limiter @ 75mph. after putting the right prop on I see no reason why it shouldn't hit 80mph.
We are not done testing,just done for today.next time out will most definately bring even better results.
This is an awesome set up and anyone with a 496 that wants to run with a Merc 525 heres the answer.
sounds awesome bud :cool:

shadow
01-15-2005, 10:18 PM
:cool: :cool:

shadow
01-15-2005, 10:28 PM
... :2purples:
Aaron throwing some gang signs.
Ray from Raylar.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Man.....That Ultra must be one heavy boat......I would have expected a bit better results.....
What's the kit going to cost ??.....about $7,500.00 installed ???
Not a bad upgrade for a 496......Better bang for-the-buck over the 525 like you said.....That should add 6-8 MPH to the average "V" with an existing 496 MAG HO. Great for people who don't want to mess with a blower.
Mt Whippled 496 MAG HO made about 625 HP at 6 lbs of boost and I went from 61 to 74 MPH.
Any plans to dyno the motor ???? What type of max HP & torque do they expect and at what RPM's ??
Tell Aaron & Robert I said Hi......
Later,
CJG
:cool:

shadow
01-16-2005, 07:23 AM
Man.....That Ultra must be one heavy boat......I would have expected a bit better results.....
What's the kit going to cost ??.....about $7,500.00 installed ???
Not a bad upgrade for a 496......Better bang for-the-buck over the 525 like you said.....That should add 6-8 MPH to the average "V" with an existing 496 MAG HO. Great for people who don't want to mess with a blower.
Mt Whippled 496 MAG HO made about 625 HP at 6 lbs of boost and I went from 61 to 74 MPH.
Any plans to dyno the motor ???? What type of max HP & torque do they expect and at what RPM's ??
Tell Aaron & Robert I said Hi......
Later,
CJG
I don't think the results can get much better than cutting time to plane in 1/2
and easily adding another 10 mph.
by bolting on cylinder heads,intake,and cam., keeping stock reliability.I couldn't be more pleased.The boat feels like a completely different boat now.
The Shadow is a heavy boat,then add 320lbs of batteries plus the stereo equipment,fuel and body weight.
The best part about it is there are no stock 496's that will keep up. :D

Havasu Hangin'
01-16-2005, 07:27 AM
The Shadow is a heavy boat,then add 320lbs of batteries plus the stereo equipment,fuel and body weight.
Did it really take 14 seconds to plane before?
Wow.

Essex29
01-16-2005, 07:30 AM
So with getting over the hump...over 500 hpthat is ...are you going to have to get Hi-performance insurance?

shadow
01-16-2005, 07:31 AM
Wow.
We don't know exactly how accurate that time was cause you gotta remember we went out last week and the wind was howling with white caps and 2ft swells.

Havasu Hangin'
01-16-2005, 07:37 AM
We don't know exactly how accurate that time was cause you gotta remember we went out last week and the wind was howling with white caps and 2ft swells.
Hey...my boat is in that arena, so I have no room to talk.
60 gallons is around 400 lbs...500+ lbs in stereo...a few big guys...it adds up quick. 80MPH with all that weight will be a great accomplishment.

shadow
01-16-2005, 07:43 AM
Hey...my boat is in that arena, so I have no room to talk.
60 gallons is around 400 lbs...500+ lbs in stereo...a few big guys...it adds up quick. 80MPH with all that weight will be a great accomplishment.
I'm completely thrilled.My boat just went from a 70mph boat to a soilid gps 80mph boat.
couldn't spin a 26 prop before and yesterday we were pegged on the rev limiter with it gonna try a 28 and see how that does.

Flashwave
01-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Were is the rev limiter set?

INSman
01-16-2005, 08:06 AM
Shadow
Any pics of the completed re-install ?? I hear from Ray that they have some nice headers to add and also some colored head covers. I am building a new 29' Shockwave and will be adding (2) of the Raylar kits, can't wait !!
I'm completely thrilled.My boat just went from a 70mph boat to a soilid gps 80mph boat.
couldn't spin a 26 prop before and yesterday we were pegged on the rev limiter with it gonna try a 28 and see how that does.

shadow
01-16-2005, 08:08 AM
Were is the rev limiter set?
With Aarons hand held Merc scanner it was at 5150 rpms.
Rpms were bouncing between 5150 & 5170.

framer1
01-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Congralulation, Sounds like a nice setup :coffeycup . Maybe you can give me a ride when I come up again. I'm hoping in Feb. Talk to you later. Bruce

shadow
01-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Congralulation, Sounds like a nice setup :coffeycup . Maybe you can give me a ride when I come up again. I'm hoping in Feb. Talk to you later. Bruce
Thanks.
Yeah you said you were coming out this month.I,mgonna rent out your house if you are not gonna use it. :D
Would love to take you out.we are gonna be on the water whenever we get a chance.

framer1
01-16-2005, 08:59 AM
Thanks.
Yeah you said you were coming out this month.I,mgonna rent out your house if you are not gonna use it. :D
Would love to take you out.we are gonna be on the water whenever we get a chance.
Hell, I may let you rent it out :idea: The weather been to sh!ty to tow the boat out, plus I got pretty far behind at work because of the rain. Still want to take the foremans out next month. Hope I can remember how to get in the house it's been so long :eek:

shadow
01-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Hell, I may let you rent it out :idea: The weather been to sh!ty to tow the boat out, plus I got pretty far behind at work because of the rain. Still want to take the foremans out next month. Hope I can remember how to get in the house it's been so long :eek:
What you think your getting a cut from the rent money? :D
The weather is beautiful today,supposed to be in the 70's all week.
We'll see you guys soon.

phebus
01-16-2005, 09:32 AM
Wow.
I am really impressed with the results, and will be looking at the kit in the future, but if it took 14 seconds to get on plane, a cheap set of trim tabs would have cut that way down also. Doesn't sound right.

shadow
01-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Shadow
Any pics of the completed re-install ?? I hear from Ray that they have some nice headers to add and also some colored head covers. I am building a new 29' Shockwave and will be adding (2) of the Raylar kits, can't wait !!
They've got headers, added hp & $$,all the stuff to dress your engine up.
Heres a couple of pics i took in my garage not the best pics.
Congratulations on your new boat and picking Raylar.You will be having 2 great engine packages the same HP of Merc 525's at a fraction of the cost.
By the way the cylinder heads are 37lbs each.the stock heads are almost
90lbs each.I'd either polish or coat the intake before install next time.this time i will be polishing in the boat. ;)

shadow
01-16-2005, 09:42 AM
I am really impressed with the results, and will be looking at the kit in the future, but if it took 14 seconds to get on plane, a cheap set of trim tabs would have cut that way down also. Doesn't sound right.
Keep in mind the conditions of the water last week.white caps and 20mph winds.thats the only day we could get out before starting on this.
Tabs are not ness at this point for planing purposes.Should be spinning a larger prop probablly a 28 and no plane concerns.

JB in so cal
01-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Any clearance issues w/ the engine cover?

plaster dave
01-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Wow nice shadow congrats.

shadow
01-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Any clearance issues w/ the engine cover?
No clearence isssues at all,just didn't get the hatch back on yet. :)

shadow
01-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Wow nice shadow congrats.
Thanks Dave! We are completely stoked.This is like driving a new boat.

JB in so cal
01-16-2005, 09:59 AM
I am just comcerned in case you were gonna get a new pic in HB; wouldn't want those girls to roll off into the water and get alllllll wet! :devil:

shadow
01-16-2005, 10:02 AM
I am just comcerned in case you were gonna get a new pic in HB; wouldn't want those girls to roll off into the water and get alllllll wet! :devil:
***boat has a magazine? :D

riverliver
01-16-2005, 10:06 AM
well now we won't have to wait for your ass to get on plane any more LOL.

One Particular Harbor
01-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Shadow -
Sounds like a great way to add some umph to the 496HO at a reasonable cost. A couple of follow-on questions if you don't mind:
1. What did you do from a drive perspective? Did you have to upgrade your drive to handle the additional HP? Or, were you already running something like an XR drive? I have heard that 500HP is kind of the magic threshold for the bravo drives. Also, at 80, don't they recommend external steering?
2. Anyone in a position to comment further on the insurance for the added HP?
3. Does Raylar plan to continue to do installs or was this a one-time, proof-of-concept type of thing?
4. Same question as others on the actual HP/Torque improvements (dyno'd)?
5. Lastly, no expert, but if you are going from 66 mph to a projected 80 mph, doesn't this imply more than 100 additional HP over a stock 496HO (14 mph for 100HP is pretty efficient return, isn't it)?
Again, sounds like a fantastic upgrade. Would be very interested in a turn-key 100HP improvement for my 496.
Congratulations!
OPH

Mandelon
01-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Very impressive. Nice to know the HO still has some room for perf enhancements.... I will be keeping an eye on this and you! :wink:
Man--->gotta496HO<-----delon

shadow
01-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Shadow -
Sounds like a great way to add some umph to the 496HO at a reasonable cost. A couple of follow-on questions if you don't mind:
1. What did you do from a drive perspective? Did you have to upgrade your drive to handle the additional HP? Or, were you already running something like an XR drive? I have heard that 500HP is kind of the magic threshold for the bravo drives. Also, at 80, don't they recommend external steering?
3. Does Raylar plan to continue to do installs or was this a one-time, proof-of-concept type of thing?
5. Lastly, no expert, but if you are going from 66 mph to a projected 80 mph, doesn't this imply more than 100 additional HP over a stock 496HO (14 mph for 100HP is pretty efficient return, isn't it)?
Again, sounds like a fantastic upgrade. Would be very interested in a turn-key 100HP improvement for my 496.
Congratulations!
OPH
I can answer a couple of your questions.
As far as my drive,Last season we already had that rebuilt and upgraded with the straight cut XR gears.Hopefully it will continue to hang in there.
I belive Raylar will do some projects but i belive they will be referring interested parties to thier choice of installers & dealers.ABSOLUTE MARINE as one of them.
Hopefully Ray and or Larry will chime in and have the exact HP & torque values as they have a history on the dyno during thier RD.
I will be definately looking into external steering at this point.Just got to save a little more $$.
Hard to belive but yes this is an estimated 100 hp and between the added hp and torque this was a 70mph boat on a good day (never gps @ 70mph Guesstimate)
Yesterday we ran a solid 75 on GPS and were pegged on the rev limiter @5150 with a 26 prop.
Could never spin a 26 before and now will be trying a 28. Tomorrow. :smile:

dicudmore
01-16-2005, 10:41 AM
I WANT A RIDE :D :D :D

shadow
01-16-2005, 10:44 AM
I WANT A RIDE :D :D :D
Anytime Dan.You had a ride before so you will be able to feel the difference of the tourque.Night and day.
Just come on out. :rollside:
Aaron and i will be going out tomorrow and test with a 28.

dicudmore
01-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Anytime Dan.You had a ride before so you will be able to feel the difference of the tourque.Night and day.
Just come on out. :rollside:
Aaron and i will be going out tomorrow and test with a 28.
guys in havasu don't work on mondays??

shadow
01-16-2005, 11:00 AM
guys in havasu don't work on mondays??
Not after repowering thier boat. :D
I will be at work tomorrow and Aaron and i will go out late afternoon.

shadow
01-16-2005, 11:19 AM
well now we won't have to wait for your ass to get on plane any more LOL.
:D No more waiting.
Now if you'd just ever put your boat in the water again.
Sorry we didn't make it by yesterday we were tied up with this little project.
Was planning on getting by.Are you guys still in Parker?would love to see the new place.

dicudmore
01-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Shadow...
just noticed you have a 24 to off over at RRL.
That might work on my little boat.... :wink:

shadow
01-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Shadow...
just noticed you have a 24 to off over at RRL.
That might work on my little boat.... :wink:
If i still have it and when you come out let me know.you are more than welcome to give it a try.It's labbed and would probablly work for you,that was always the best all around prop for me.

Raylar
01-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Larry & I would just like to say thank you to Darrell, his lovely wife, Aaron and his family and "Crew" at Absolute Marine and the Bureau of Land Management for that awesome Lake at Havasu!! We really had a great time visiting and working with the "CREW" on Darrell's gorgeous boat. The hospitality and enthusiasm we were treated to was first class. What a great group of sharp, hard working and considerate people! Larry and I have worked very hard to make sure the Raylar products and kits would be the best! It was very rewarding and fun to see our aspirations for the 496 engine fullfilled. If you could have seen the look on Darrell's face when that big 27 Ultra jumped up on plane in less than 7 seconds, less than half its previous best, you would understand how great it feels to really make it happen! I can answer the question about power by saying that Darrells boat has a honest 525HP+ 496 stock Raylar equipped engine with a lot more torque than a Merc HP525! Enough said , congratulations to Darrell on being a Havasu success story and honoring us with his great boat as a project boat and Kudos to Arron at Absolute Marine for his fantastic shop and "CREW". Absolute Marine is our Havasu dealer and I know any of you who need their services will be thrilled and impressed with their work and and dedication to the performance boating community.
Thank You,
Ray & Larry from Raylar

FRENCHIE
01-16-2005, 03:53 PM
real good info shadow!! this might be something i might consider if not going to upsize to a 29'!!?? sounds like it well worth the $$! im also curious what is does to the life fo the motor??? how many hours you might expect to get now on your motor!!?? :confused: ;)

shadow
01-16-2005, 04:01 PM
real good info shadow!! this might be something i might consider if not going to upsize to a 29'!!?? sounds like it well worth the $$! im also curious what is does to the life fo the motor??? how many hours you might expect to get now on your motor!!?? :confused: ;)
Frenchie this set up is awesome and if I were in the market for a new boat i would buy the stock 496 Use The Raylar components and save a grip of $$ with quality and durability.From what i understand from Ray and Larry someone could expect 1,000 - 1,500 hrs if the engine is maintained and not abused.After seeing all of the work these guys put into this, the research and design and final product.I for no reason doubt the estimated life of this package.

FRENCHIE
01-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Frenchie this set up is awesome and if I were in the market for a new boat i would buy the stock 496 Use The Raylar components and save a grip of $$ with quality and durability.From what i understand from Ray and Larry someone could expect 1,000 - 1,500 hrs if the engine is maintained and not abused.After seeing all of the work these guys put into this, the research and design and final product.I for no reason doubt the estimated life of this package.
cool gonna bump head with them at the boat show in a couple weeks....thanx!!! ;)

SBullet
01-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Shadow,
Sound like great way add some MPH!!! What is the cost for the whole kit installed?

phebus
01-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Shadow, check your email, or PM's
Thanks

Mandelon
01-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Has this been done (run 1000 hours) or merely an estimate?

Toomstone
01-16-2005, 04:17 PM
what did you get in all??...just the kit he was talkin about before???...or more than that?....what price are we looking at installed???
Toomstone :crossx:

shadow
01-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Shadow,
Sound like great way add some MPH!!! What is the cost for the whole kit installed?
Depending on how in depth you want to go Raylar offers awhole line up of products from the crank up.
I would have to refer you to Aaron at Absolute Marine in Havasu
928-855-2252
Or contact Raylar direct. www.raylarengine.com

FRENCHIE
01-16-2005, 04:26 PM
get ready for the skeptics!!!! ;)

SBullet
01-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Shadow,
Thank's for the info!! I will contact Aaron @ Absolute!

Toomstone
01-16-2005, 04:45 PM
did you do one of these specific kits???
http://www.raylarengine.com/kits2.html

shadow
01-16-2005, 04:50 PM
did you do one of these specific kits???
http://www.raylarengine.com/kits2.html
The package in my boat would be the BCK103. :smile:

Toomstone
01-16-2005, 04:56 PM
did you have any changes done to the ecm???

shadow
01-16-2005, 05:04 PM
did you have any changes done to the ecm???
Not nessasary,the cool thing is the ecm is already set up to run within different peramiters it just needs the sensors to feed it information to know where to adjust.The second cool part is you still keep your smart craft gaurdian system in play so you will still have the warning system if any temps,oil pressures,rev limiter, etc you will hear your little buzzer and know,or your engine will go to limp mode.. So you still have the saftey features.People seem to be concerned with the ecm and fuel pressure.fuel pressure can be adjusted without touching the ecm.

BADASS38CHEVY
01-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Darrel,thanks for your time on saturday showing us the place,very nice.it was nice meeting you and your wife teresa.i hope today went good with the boat test,and you were able to get the gps speeds out of your new raylar system.i will see both of you guys in march or april,as some as my lavey is completed.thanks.

shadow
01-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Ted i'll get the info i was telling you about tomorrow and pm it to you.
Nice meeting you as well and would love to see those graphics when the time comes.sounds like it'll be awesome hope all goes well with the whole process.

phebus
01-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Copied this from OSO site. I for one am impressed. Hopefully you don't mind me pimpin' this for you Ray:
Just to put some facts in the stew. We just finished overseeing the installation of one of our BP103 kits on a bone stock 27 Ultra @ Absolute Marine in Lake Havasu, Arizona, Thursday and Friday. Boat was tested Wednesday at 0 t o plane time, 20-40 mph and 40-60 mph acceleration times and top speed mph. Prop was a labbed 24P 4 blade Bravo Conditions 70-75 degrees, very light wind chop and obviously fresh "cold" water. Boat results were taken with Garmin GPS, and stop watch. This boat is a big heavy 27 footer and has two extra monster 8D batteries alongside the engine to help run the 5000 watt sound system!!, 140 gallons of 89 octane fuel two people and about 50 lbs of gear. It's equipped with a Bravo X drive upgrade to Bravo XR specs and runs the stock Mercury exhaust manifolds with a drop elbow and out the transom. The boat before install ran 0 to plane 15 seconds ( not good) and top speed of 66.3 miles per hour honest GPS runs up and down wind average, no water current. Brought the boat to Aaron' s slick shop, they pulled the motor out of the boat ran a compression and leak down test on the motor, 155 to 160 lbs each hole with about 12% average leak downs on a 85 hour motor.
They removed the accessories, engine wiring harness and ECM, pulled the manifold, heads and camshaft and cleaned the surface of the block and checked for any visable piston , cylinder or ring dmage or obvious problems. None found. They degreed in the new cam, installed the new BigPower aluminum heads on our special Cometic head gaskets, installed the stainless roller rockers with our special AFN no adjustment locking nut and valves were set and ready to go. They installed the new Raylar "CoolGap" intake manifold, the stock throttle body, fuel rails, injectors, idle air motor, MAP and other stock sensors.
We then installed our special fuel pressure adjustment bypass hose on the cool fuel system, installed all of the rest of the stock Mercury 496 brackets, accessories, bottles, hoses and what not. We then did our special modification to the stock Mercury exhaust manifolds and risers , filled all the fluids and installed the motor back in the boat.
Hooked up all electrical, fuel and water lines, re-adjusted the fuel pressure setting and turned on the fresh water flush kit. The owner hit the key and she roard to life on the first crank and purred like a kitten! Check everything for leaks or problems, found a few hose clamps to loose, tightned and we were ready for Saturday test. Saturday was an awesome day at Lake Havasu, Arizona, clear light wind 75 degrees and an almost empty
lake! Launched at the State Park ramp two blocks from Aaron's shop and again check for leaks, drips or errors, none found! Darrell fired her up we idled out of the ramp area and made the first 0 to plane test. 7 seconds!! Less than half Wednesdays base test. Tried it three more times same results! Thats with a 26P stock Bravo 4 blade prop. We then ran all of the acceleration tests, same results, less than half the time to same speeds. The "cou de gra" was about 6 peddle to the metal top speed runs with the motor roaring like a Lion for about one full hour. Average new top speed 76.6 miles per hour and we were htting the rev-limiter at 5200 rpms on each run! They will try and run the boat Monday with a labbed 28P Bravo 4 blade. Aaron and I feel 80 mph will be about a given! at 5000rpms and yes we had four people abord for the retest not two. Over 10mph increase on the limiter, acceleration times cut by less than half. I think this will just about say all that needs to be said about the 525Hp Raylar equipped 496 engine running stock exhaust and a totally untouched 496 ECM!! Gentlemen. Its nice what an honest 100+ horsepower and gobs of torque will do for a 496 engine. This may make it hard for some boaters to step up for 20K plus more HP525's in the future. The future of the Raylar 496 is awesome for OSO'ers who have these wonderful motors. Gentlemen, I will take your Qustions! The Bull**** stops, when the Green light drops!
Regards, Ray @ Raylar

FRENCHIE
01-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Great Stuff!!!! ;)

Scream
01-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks for taking the plunge Shadow. There are dozens of us here on ***boat that are interested in a reliable upgrade package for our 496 ho's. The package costs aren't too terrible for the HP gains. This is very exciting stuff indeed.
Scream

LHC30Victory
01-17-2005, 11:06 AM
My question is: does anyone have 15K I can borrow (grant) plus drive upgrade money?????

shadow
01-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Shadow -
Congratulations!
OPH
didn't have the answer yesterday to #4. as for torque.
heres alittle insight
stock @ 2500 rpm =400ftlbs of torque
Raylar @ 2500rpm =520ftlbs of torque
stock @ 3800rpm =490ftlbs of torque
Raylar @ 3800rpm =600ftlbs of torque
Like i said before you can feel the tourque NIGHT & DAY difference from stock.

INSman
01-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Can't wait to do this with twins !!!! :cool:
didn't have the answer yesterday to #4. as for torque.
heres alittle insight
stock @ 2500 rpm =400ftlbs of torque
Raylar @ 2500rpm =520ftlbs of torque
stock @ 3800rpm =490ftlbs of torque
Raylar @ 3800rpm =600ftlbs of torque
Like i said before you can feel the tourque NIGHT & DAY difference from stock.

shadow
01-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Final results.
Just got back from testing again this time with a 28 prop.
with the 26 the boat was pegged at the rev limiter @ 75mph with 4 good size passengers and about 500lbs of stereo equip and batteries.
today with a blue 28 test prop 3 passengers and same load we got up to
79.4mph on GPS.I see no problem hitting 80mph once we dial in a prop.
Not bad we are pleased with the Raylar upgrades to say the least.
Time to plane cut in 1/2 and gained 13mph-14mph. :)

plaster dave
01-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Final results.
with the 26 the boat was pegged at the rev limiter @ 75mph with 4 good size passengers and about 500lbs of stereo equip and batteries.
79.4mph.I see no problem hitting 80mph once we dial in a prop.
Congats Shadow those are some good numbers.

dicudmore
01-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Final results.
AWESOME!!!

shadow
01-17-2005, 07:40 PM
AWESOME!!!
Thanks Dan i couldn't more happy with the results.You can bet we will be out all weekend. :rollside:

dicudmore
01-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Thanks Dan i couldn't more happy with the results.You can bet we will be out all weekend. :rollside:
as it should be :D
I've got a party in LV sat night, might have to drop by the 'zoo on the way for a little demo-ride :D

shadow
01-17-2005, 08:00 PM
as it should be :D
I've got a party in LV sat night, might have to drop by the 'zoo on the way for a little demo-ride :D
Come on by Dan,Are you headed out fri or sat?We will be going out sat and probablly sun.you can come out fri night or meet us sat am and go boating then head to your gig in LV.

dicudmore
01-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Come on by Dan,Are you headed out fri or sat?We will be going out sat and probablly sun.you can come out fri night or meet us sat am and go boating then head to your gig in LV.
that sounds REALLY good....I'll try and make it happen :wink:

phebus
01-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Final results.
That's a better testimonial then George foreman with his grills!! :D

TrojanDan
01-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Darrel,
Congrats on your numbers today and nice meeting you this weekend. Made me kind of envious seeing your boat's "new" engine. Good luck running her!
-Dan :cool:

shadow
01-18-2005, 05:30 AM
Darrel,
Congrats on your numbers today and nice meeting you this weekend. Made me kind of envious seeing your boat's "new" engine. Good luck running her!
-Dan :cool:
Thanks Dan, nice meeting you as well.Your boat is in good hands with Aaron and Robert.I'll see you on the water if not before.

FRENCHIE
01-20-2005, 11:53 AM
that sounds REALLY good....I'll try and make it happen :wink:
here we 'FLAKE' again!!!! :hammerhea :hammerhea :wink: :p

Essex502
01-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Anybody care to guess what the installation cost would be to install the BCK103 kit on a 496HO? Turnkey?

BoatFloating
01-20-2005, 01:07 PM
CJG
When all said and done I would imagine Shadow will see 80 mph in the winter and 75+ during summer with 550HP. Your 74 mph at 625HP?????

FRENCHIE
01-20-2005, 04:43 PM
When all said and done I would imagine Shadow will see 80 mph in the winter and 75+ during summer with 550HP. Your 74 mph at 625HP?????
what do you know!!!?? :confused: :rolleyes: :hammerhea :p :p

BoatFloating
01-20-2005, 05:50 PM
what do you know!!!?? :confused: :rolleyes: :hammerhea :p :p
Oh I've been around the block once or twice. When I added a Procharger to my last boat 496HO it went to 550HP and that's what I saw out of it....
:rollside:

phebus
01-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Oh I've been around the block once or twice. When I added a Procharger to my last boat 496HO it went to 550HP and that's what I saw out of it....
:rollside:
Rocky, what did your old boat do before and after the procharger install?

BoatFloating
01-20-2005, 06:02 PM
Rocky, what did your old boat do before and after the procharger install?
63-65 During the summer and then after Procharger it did 82 during winter install and testing. Then during the summer it runs 75 mph with all the junk and load. I hit 79 towards end of summer and low fuel and I ate a salad that day.... :notam:

phebus
01-20-2005, 06:07 PM
And it brought you from 425 HP to 550 HP? What was the cost comparison between the Raylar kit and the Procharger if you know?

BoatFloating
01-20-2005, 06:09 PM
And it brought you from 425 HP to 550 HP? What was the cost comparison between the Raylar kit and the Procharger if you know?
The Procharger was $2800 dealer and install was easy done by me. The Raylar not sure what the cost of that thing was. The Raylar seems to be a good system. What exactly comes with the kit????

Kilrtoy
01-20-2005, 06:11 PM
The Raylar seems to be a good system. What exactly comes with the kit????
That is a hell of a qoute Ricky,

phebus
01-20-2005, 06:15 PM
The Procharger was $2800 dealer and install was easy done by me. The Raylar not sure what the cost of that thing was. The Raylar seems to be a good system. What exactly comes with the kit????
And you were running 5lbs of boost right? I am thinking of upgrading, and I'm looking at the whole deal. Price, longevity, results, etc.

phebus
01-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Rocky, also, you were running the Bravo XZ drive weren't you? Any problems, and what pitch prop did you end up with?

BoatFloating
01-20-2005, 06:19 PM
And you were running 5lbs of boost right? I am thinking of upgrading, and I'm looking at the whole deal. Price, longevity, results, etc.
I was only running 3lbs strictly for that word longevity. . I wouldn't do a 5lb kit without upgrading the Pistons. I think the 5lb is putting out 600HP+??? The 3lb is 550HP. ;)

BoatFloating
01-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Rocky, also, you were running the Bravo XZ drive weren't you? Any problems, and what pitch prop did you end up with?
Yes the XZ drive and no problems with the drive at all. That's what's nie about the Procharger the boost and torque hit at the midrange instead of out of the hole.....

BoatFloating
01-20-2005, 06:22 PM
That is a hell of a qoute Ricky,
How about this one
Bite Me Outboard Boy.... ;)

phebus
01-20-2005, 06:23 PM
With the Procharger, is changing pulley's the way to change your boost pressure just like a Whipple, or is there another way to change boost? 3lbs. of boost doesn't sound like it would be too hard on the engine.

phebus
01-20-2005, 06:26 PM
One more thing Rocky, you know the issue of engine hatch clearance, did you have to modify anything to do the install?

BoatFloating
01-20-2005, 06:26 PM
With the Procharger, is changing pulley's the way to change your boost pressure just like a Whipple, or is there another way to change boost? 3lbs. of boost doesn't sound like it would be too hard on the engine.
No that's why I did it not to much stress. So far 3 full summers with it on. To go the 5lb it's a pully change and upgrade fuel pump and I think injectors. I was happy with the 3lbs in a open boat like that deck boat. It feels like you going a lot faster.
:messedup:

BoatFloating
01-20-2005, 06:29 PM
One more thing Rocky, you know the issue of engine hatch clearance, did you have to modify anything to do the install? No issues there but there is a few things that need to be done in the compartment. Depend where the Dana Hinges are mounted and innercooler front clearence... All easy stuff though. It's a fun off season project....

Kilrtoy
01-20-2005, 07:03 PM
How about this one
;)
You better look again, That is a FUEL INJECTED THRU HULL CHEBY MOTOR :D

Essex502
01-21-2005, 08:56 AM
So nobody wants to guess at the install labor cost for the Raylar kit?

INSman
01-21-2005, 09:00 AM
I am guesstimating that my twins install is going to run me about $3k. (1) kit would certainly be cheaper, by how much I don't know.

shadow
01-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Install isnot that difficult.you can do it youreslf if you wanted to but if you want to pay someone i'd guess theye'd charge 15 -20 hrs labor. only a guess.
If you wantto know forsure give Aaron a call at Absolute he is now the Raylar dealer for Havasu area.There are a few tricks to get the most out of this package showed to us by Ray & Larry from Ralar.Aaron knows all about the install of this kit.928-855-2252

THOR
01-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Install isnot that difficult.you can do it youreslf if you wanted to but if you want to pay someone i'd guess theye'd charge 15 -20 hrs labor. only a guess.
If you wantto know forsure give Aaron a call at Absolute he is now the Raylar dealer for Havasu area.There are a few tricks to get the most out of this package showed to us by Ray & Larry from Ralar.Aaron knows all about the install of this kit.928-855-2252
Dude, do you check your pms?

shadow
01-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Dude, do you check your pms?
All the time.If you've sent me any pms i've never gotten one from you. :confused:

THOR
01-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Shadow,
check now, I just sent it again.

vodkarocks
01-21-2005, 11:36 AM
I just got off the phone with Aaron at Absolute. The cost of the kit that Shadow got installed is $5800 from Raylar. The cost installed will be right at $8100.
Aaron also said that he thinks the Raylar kit will actually extend the life of the motors.

JB in so cal
01-21-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm just waiting for the first insurance-related issue; I know it's still basically a 496, but 425hp is a far piece from 550hp. I just don't see how they would let it slide.
On the other hand, if the insurance company were to not know and something happened... :jawdrop:

Essex502
01-21-2005, 11:46 AM
And the 550 HP is with the stock exhaust? No header upgrade? What would the XR upgrade run from a Bravo 1 (since Bravo 1 is rated only at 400HP and the 1X is rated at 450 HP according to Merc.)?
Hmmm..trying to decide which way to go...

shadow
01-21-2005, 11:54 AM
And the 550 HP is with the stock exhaust? No header upgrade? What would the XR upgrade run from a Bravo 1 (since Bravo 1 is rated only at 400HP and the 1X is rated at 450 HP according to Merc.)?
Hmmm..trying to decide which way to go...
It's between 525-550,yes with stock modified exhaust,Ported and restrictors removed.If you were to see the stock manifold off the engine its a bottle neck.As far as drive,either upgrade gears to Xr or run with it,Don't hammer it out of the hole. If the drive is your concern,any engine upgrade worth doing you'd have to upgrade the drive.I see guys running xr drives with overated HP all the time.Depends on your driving habits to a point.

Essex502
01-21-2005, 12:48 PM
It's between 525-550,yes with stock modified exhaust,Ported and restrictors removed.If you were to see the stock manifold off the engine its a bottle neck.As far as drive,either upgrade gears to Xr or run with it,Don't hammer it out of the hole. If the drive is your concern,any engine upgrade worth doing you'd have to upgrade the drive.I see guys running xr drives with overated HP all the time.Depends on your driving habits to a point.
So what is the cost (approx.) of the drive upgrade to an XR?

OutCole'd
01-21-2005, 01:34 PM
So what is the cost (approx.) of the drive upgrade to an XR?
Mike, I think it is something like 3k bump to a 496HO / b1 to a 496HO / XR.

Essex502
01-24-2005, 07:17 AM
Mike, I think it is something like 3k bump to a 496HO / b1 to a 496HO / XR.
Thanks Bill. I think I'll stay with the plan of a HP525 in the new boat. Doesn't seem to add up to much savings to go with the 496HO and upgrade.

TCHB
01-24-2005, 07:40 AM
I towed a guy in last year that with a high horse power engine and a stock bravo drive. He said he hammered it out of the hole and someting broke inside. It sounds like good advice to be easy out of the hole.

WHIPPED502
01-24-2005, 09:20 AM
I have a 28' cat. I am running 700 to 750 HP with an XR. I have 2 seasons on it without any problems. Knock on wood. When I take off I put the tabs down and use just enough throttle to get on plane. Even when I am up on plane I always accelerate smoothly. It seems even people with IMCO's,Teauge drives,etc. break them. I feel it is the way they are driven that breaks them. If you want to play you have to pay and get a #6 drive. I can't afford to play in that leauge.
It seems like the upgrade for the 496 is a good deal if it holds up. Those blue engines are pricey but they are very reliable and you can get them seviced anywhere. It's nice to have some choice's

shadow
02-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Another beatiful day on the lake today,I'm still as happy with the Raylar setup as i was on day one.So far turn key and running great.Everytime i drive the boat now i am amazed it's the same 496HO as before.

INSman
02-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Another beatiful day on the lake today,I'm still as happy with the Raylar setup as i was on day one.So far turn key and running great.Everytime i drive the boat now i am amazed it's the same 496HO as before.
Shadow
My boat is going in the mold tomorrow morning for graphics/gel and then the standard lamination schedule, Hopefully in about 12 weeks, we will have a stock (Merc 496 Mags) testing day, then pull the boat off the water, run over to Aaron for install, and drop it back in the water the next afternoon for the Raylar testing. I can't wait as I know this thing is going to scream with the twins and I will probably add the headers if Ray can get me a deal, so not only does it look nice but hopefully we are running in excess of 530 HP each
Blane

shadow
02-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Shadow
My boat is going in the mold tomorrow morning for graphics/gel and then the standard lamination schedule, Hopefully in about 12 weeks, we will have a stock (Merc 496 Mags) testing day, then pull the boat off the water, run over to Aaron for install, and drop it back in the water the next afternoon for the Raylar testing. I can't wait as I know this thing is going to scream with the twins and I will probably add the headers if Ray can get me a deal, so not only does it look nice but hopefully we are running in excess of 530 HP each
Blane
Right on, i'm sure you will be pleased with the Raylar packages.Night & Day difference from stock.Will be interesting to see the difference from before and after with twins.Be sure to keep us all posted.

Thunder 1
02-05-2005, 06:37 PM
I have had a special oppournity to see first hand the Raylar kit being installed on Darrel's boat. Along with being able to pick Ray's brain apart about anything and everything that could cause trouble. I have been around boats all my life and have raced both H2O and asphalt, so I think I know alittle about motors. Lord knows I know how to scatter them! When I sold boats for Magic the 496's were attractive because of the price but the down fall was the lack of Horse Power, so you bit the bullet and brought a HP 500 or settled for a less than performance boat. That was until now. I would advise anyone in the market for a new boat to order a 496 mag/ 375hp with a XR drive and put a Raylar kit on it. You will be about 8 to 10 grand ahead of the game and your wife will be alot happier. The Raylar kit is well engineered and thought out, not to mention attractive if you polish the intake. The install is not to difficult if you are mechcanicly handy, but I think I would have Arron at Absolute Speed do it, they are tops when it comes to adding H.P. and treating your boat with TLC. Plus they have done some already with no troubles. The boating industry is alot betters with the addition of the Raylar Kit, hands down. You cannot go wrong with these guys or with Absolute. Just my two cents. Ed Arnold

INSman
02-05-2005, 06:44 PM
In actuality, te 496 MAG is not available with the XR, but somehow my boat MFG. pulled it off for me x 2. I hooked up with Ray a few times at the L.A. Show, and my boat might likely be the first one written up in one of the larger publications, with the publication being a part of the testing process. When all is said and done, not only will Raylar get some much deserved press, but so will Aaron along with my builder.
It will be great to be crackin' one of these mags open to read the article and about the project, knowing that it is MY boat !! :)
More to come and stay posted !! :cool:

shadow
02-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Welcome Thunder 1,
You are coorect Aaron is the bomb! I would recomend him hands down over anyone.
INSman,can't wait to see your boat done and running.Absolute and Raylar are definately deserving and over due for publicity.

mike37
02-05-2005, 08:32 PM
stock modified ???exhaust,Ported and restrictors removed
is this somthing that can be dun to my exhaust to help out or is the mod part of the kit

dbddbd
02-05-2005, 08:36 PM
tuning your ports with a new mod will be just what the doctor ordered :)

BADASS38CHEVY
02-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Thanks Bill. I think I'll stay with the plan of a HP525 in the new boat. Doesn't seem to add up to much savings to go with the 496HO and upgrade.you can still order the 500efi and it comes with xr drive for 6500.00 cheaper.to add 60 hp later is alot cheaper than 6500.00.

BADASS38CHEVY
02-05-2005, 11:10 PM
I have had a special oppournity to see first hand the Raylar kit being installed on Darrel's boat. Along with being able to pick Ray's brain apart about anything and everything that could cause trouble. I have been around boats all my life and have raced both H2O and asphalt, so I think I know alittle about motors. Lord knows I know how to scatter them! When I sold boats for Magic the 496's were attractive because of the price but the down fall was the lack of Horse Power, so you bit the bullet and brought a HP 500 or settled for a less than performance boat. That was until now. I would advise anyone in the market for a new boat to order a 496 mag/ 375hp with a XR drive and put a Raylar kit on it. You will be about 8 to 10 grand ahead of the game and your wife will be alot happier. The Raylar kit is well engineered and thought out, not to mention attractive if you polish the intake. The install is not to difficult if you are mechcanicly handy, but I think I would have Arron at Absolute Speed do it, they are tops when it comes to adding H.P. and treating your boat with TLC. Plus they have done some already with no troubles. The boating industry is alot betters with the addition of the Raylar Kit, hands down. You cannot go wrong with these guys or with Absolute. Just my two cents. Ed Arnold
That 8 to 10 gs is that with installation?

INSman
02-06-2005, 07:13 AM
That 8 to 10 gs is that with installation?
Yes, that is with installation and $10k would be on the very high side. The problem with the 500's are NO closed loop cooling.

shadow
02-06-2005, 07:51 AM
Yes, that is with installation and $10k would be on the very high side. The problem with the 500's are NO closed loop cooling.
No closed cooling system,also all the smartcraft gaurdiand system is still in complete operation,still has warning for low oil press,overheat,drive temp,over rev,etc,That saftey feature makes it almost idiot proof for engine damage for someone who doesnt watch their gauges.In my opinion i don't think it would cost anywhere near 10 grand to have these engine upgrades performed.I would recomend calling Aaron @ Absolute and see what he says for anyone that is interested.If you know how to put together an engine you could also buy the parts from Absolute and install them yourself for under 6 grand.

Kachina26
02-06-2005, 08:17 AM
So, what's the chances of experiancing this power first hand next Saturday?

shadow
02-06-2005, 08:31 AM
So, what's the chances of experiancing this power first hand next Saturday?
Chances are slim for Sat,I work one Sat a month and next Sat is my Sat to work.But Sunday i'd be happy to take you out are you going to be here all weekend?

Kachina26
02-06-2005, 08:35 AM
I gotta be back in H town on Sunday :( . I'll be in town for the fireworks though.

shadow
02-06-2005, 08:55 AM
I gotta be back in H town on Sunday :( . I'll be in town for the fireworks though.
That weekend may work.That sat i'm lifting my excursion but that sun we can go out. We are going to head out in an hr or so, too bad you are not living out here yet.

Kachina26
02-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Soon, soon. :cool:

BADASS38CHEVY
02-06-2005, 05:20 PM
No closed cooling system,also all the smartcraft gaurdiand system is still in complete operation,still has warning for low oil press,overheat,drive temp,over rev,etc,That saftey feature makes it almost idiot proof for engine damage for someone who doesnt watch their gauges.In my opinion i don't think it would cost anywhere near 10 grand to have these engine upgrades performed.I would recomend calling Aaron @ Absolute and see what he says for anyone that is interested.If you know how to put together an engine you could also buy the parts from Absolute and install them yourself for under 6 grand.
Hey Darrel,do they make a 500efi upgrade ?

shadow
02-06-2005, 06:16 PM
No upgrades for the 500 at this time.I think the coolest thing about this whole deal is that there is so many 496's already out there.Sure there are alot of options when making a new purchase there are countless optoins of power to put in your new boat.But on the other hand all these people that already have the 496's and want more power are limited as to which way to go.I was at the point to either buy a new boat with different power,yank my engine out and build something else and toss the 496.And for reliability purposes with the 496 a Whipple or pro Charger wasn't an option.Super charging a 496 without upgradeing the lower end of the 496 is just a time bomb,not a matter of "if" you gernade your engine it's "When".AZ Speed and Marine offers a intake but What good is that if the engine can't breathe?
Thats the awesome thing about this set up.The intake is designed to work with the cam rockers and heads.Not to mention the heads are 37lbs compared to about 90lbs.The stock intake is so restricked and intake air is directed right into the center of the engine vallley the "heat" of the engine then is directed throught those fancy runners that you see on the stock intake.This engine was designed for a truck and emissions not designed for a boat.I know there is alot of doubters cause alot of people hear rumors about the 496 roatating assembly,but for those who know the basics of how an engine works will understand that with more efficient cooler intake "unrestricked" air into lighter aluminum "cooler" better flowing "breathing"cylinder heads you will gain HP and have better reliability
due to the heat factor alone.Reliability is the least of my concerns.I'm confident this will be more reliable than the truck engine i started with.
Like i said before,this may not be for everyone but those with a 496 and wanting mor HP and limited to either complete repower,new boat,or supercharging,Hands down this is the ideal setup.for 6 grand worth of parts and if mechaniclly inclined can be done in your garage.But if someone was not totally comfortable to do thier own install i would highly recomend Aaron @ Absolute for the install.He has the experience with Raylar product and totally Qualified for any type of boat repair.

Faster Daddy
02-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Innovation Marine does a "525" upgrade for the 500. This is a race proven upgrade used for several years. Some of these motors have actually dynoed out at 570 HP!
I'll be very interested to see how the Raylar kit stands up, 496Ho is my current motor package and I would love to power up!

KACHINA KEN
02-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Brett at Kachina said the Bravo 1 X is rated at 700 HP. Anyone know different?

BADASS38CHEVY
02-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Innovation Marine does a "525" upgrade for the 500. This is a race proven upgrade used for several years. Some of these motors have actually dynoed out at 570 HP!
I'll be very interested to see how the Raylar kit stands up, 496Ho is my current motor package and I would love to power up!
Do you know what the cost and does it included installation ? and what does the upgrade consist of ?

shadow
02-15-2005, 05:46 AM
Brett at Kachina said the Bravo 1 X is rated at 700 HP. Anyone know different?
Maybe at idle only.Maybe someone else can confirm this but if i'm not mistaken a Bravo1X is rated @ 500-550 max HP,and thats pushing it.I saw on another thread you just ordered a new 34' Kachina.Congrats on your new boat.IMHO with a boat that size and weight i would atleast upgrade your drives now to XR if you are planning to ever upgrade engine power,It's cheaper now than it will be later.

dicudmore
02-15-2005, 07:42 AM
Maybe at idle only.Maybe someone else can confirm this but if i'm not mistaken a Bravo1X is rated @ 500-550 max HP,and thats pushing it.I saw on another thread you just ordered a new 34' Kachina.Congrats on your new boat.IMHO with a boat that size and weight i would atleast upgrade your drives now to XR if you are planning to ever upgrade engine power,It's cheaper now than it will be later.
I think he's about right.... 500ish. I think it would live with some babying and some HP :wink:

INSman
02-15-2005, 07:56 AM
Pay the $$ now and get the XR by saving yourslf some troubles and $$$ later
The new 2005 XR is even better than the 2004, supposed to shift like silk due to a new cone clutch and some other goodies. In reality, I don't think the XR is even rated for 700 HP, that is why Mercs new motor is only 600 HP, when we all know that motor with more boost could hit 700+ easy.

Essex502
02-15-2005, 09:54 AM
From Mercury Marine's website:
Bravo 1 rated up to 400 HP
Bravo 1X up to 450 HP
Bravo XR up to 575 HP

shadow
02-15-2005, 12:38 PM
From Mercury Marine's website:
Bravo 1 rated up to 400 HP
Bravo 1X up to 450 HP
Bravo XR up to 575 HP
There ya have straight from Merc.I know if i had to do it over again i wouldn't go with less than an XR with stock power.Bravo1X was a costly repair to upgrade to XR for me and it was in the middle of summer last season and i only had 2 choices either shell out the money and fix it or be done boating for the rest of the season.So in reality there was only 1 option to fix it and upgrade gears at that point.

mike37
02-15-2005, 12:43 PM
There ya have straight from Merc.I know if i had to do it over again i wouldn't go with less than an XR with stock power.Bravo1X was a costly repair to upgrade to XR for me and it was in the middle of summer last season and i only had 2 choices either shell out the money and fix it or be done boating for the rest of the season.So in reality there was only 1 option to fix it and upgrade gears at that point.
what was broke on your drive
merc replaced my drive had broken gears

boatnam2
02-15-2005, 12:55 PM
shadow did you ever try the 28P prop?i have a 27 labbed 4 blade i dont think im going to use if the 28 is to much.

shadow
02-15-2005, 01:17 PM
what was broke on your drive
merc replaced my drive had broken gears
Way out of warranty.

shadow
02-15-2005, 01:20 PM
shadow did you ever try the 28P prop?i have a 27 labbed 4 blade i dont think im going to use if the 28 is to much.
The 28 works great now but i expect that may change as the weather changes to triple digits and the humidity kicks in.
how much are you looking to get for it?or what size prop are you looking for?
maybe we can work something out.give me a call 928-486-7399
Darrell

shadow
02-16-2005, 05:41 AM
The 28 works great now but i expect that may change as the weather changes to triple digits and the humidity kicks in.
how much are you looking to get for it?or what size prop are you looking for?
maybe we can work something out.give me a call 928-486-7399
Darrell
:rollside: :rollside:

Dave C
02-16-2005, 09:06 AM
79.4 mph! thats good stuff! Nice upgrade.
thanks for the update!!!
DaveC<--- gotta 496HO too.
Final results.

shadow
02-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Aaron has got a couple more Raylars to install within the next few weeks or so.
Should have some more results in the near future.No doubt there will be a few more happy 496 owners.I'm curious to see the results on different boats.
Chris Winn should be in the process or soon to be.so we willsee the results on a 29'magic soon.

INSman
02-16-2005, 09:25 AM
I was in your town this past weekend and got a chance to pop by Aaron's shop on Sunday morning. Great guy and I can't wait to get my twins project to him. My 29' Shockwave is in lay-up now and might be done in the next 8 weeks or so.
Didn't know you lived there Darrell, maybe we can hook-up when I come back out the last weekend of the month.
Blane

boatnam2
02-16-2005, 10:28 AM
im not sure how much for it,i got a new boat and it came with a 26p.i took my old motor out of my old boat and had it put in my new boat,so i sold the old boat with a new 496 and he didnt need a 27.i may be able to spin it but havent got to try it yet,plus i like the way the boat gets up with the 26.

Ivan Dan
02-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Aaron has got a couple more Raylars to install within the next few weeks or so.
Should have some more results in the near future.No doubt there will be a few more happy 496 owners.I'm curious to see the results on different boats.
Chris Winn should be in the process or soon to be.so we willsee the results on a 29'magic soon.
Any Magic deckboats in the works you know of? There are a bunch of us deckboat guys out here that are really curious.

shadow
02-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Any Magic deckboats in the works you know of? There are a bunch of us deckboat guys out here that are really curious.
No Magics that i know of but i'd say you should probablly expect the same results as i had.If not the same maybe a mph or so either way.

Chris Winn
02-16-2005, 11:43 AM
i have one that is going on my Magic Wizard right now, it is being done at Extreme custom marine in Santa Ana
i figure that i shoudl be a solid 75 mph at least

shadow
02-16-2005, 11:46 AM
i have one that is going on my Magic Wizard right now, it is being done at Extreme custom marine in Santa Ana
I was thinking deck when i said no Magics.But knew you were either getting ready or in progress now.Hows it going and when do you expect it to be done and water tested?

Ivan Dan
02-16-2005, 11:49 AM
What kind of speeds do you see right now? Like loaded down in the summer time?

Chris Winn
02-16-2005, 11:53 AM
in the summer i can run about 65 GPS, i have seen about 67-68 in the winter.
so i would love to see at least 10mph, but the mid range cruise speed should be much higher.

JB in so cal
02-16-2005, 11:58 AM
You go first :idea:

Chris Winn
02-16-2005, 01:10 PM
if you are in S.Cal give the guys at Extreme marine a call
they are really cool people, my boat is going to have before and after dyno runs performed in order to determine the power gained.
i will be posting pics and the results when they are done

Slider
02-16-2005, 01:57 PM
What is the final cost of the package?

Chris Winn
02-16-2005, 02:17 PM
What is the final cost of the package?
i still don't know te final cost, but probably around 7500-8000

Ivan Dan
02-16-2005, 03:57 PM
You go first :idea:
Ha Ha Ha.... :boxingguy no you go......flip a coin? :D

rvrhlic
02-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Ha Ha Ha.... :boxingguy no you go......flip a coin? :D
Okay - I will be your guinea pig. I think I will be ordering mine this week to have Aaron put on. The only thing I don't like it that it doesn't "look cool" when installed. Hopefully I can get it installed in the next few weeks.

LHC30Victory
02-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Get the intake polished and powder coated. Bet that will up the Bling factor!
By the way, I'm still looking for donations for both of mine :D

JB in so cal
02-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Okay - I will be your guinea pig. I think I will be ordering mine this week to have Aaron put on. The only thing I don't like it that it doesn't "look cool" when installed. Hopefully I can get it installed in the next few weeks.
You go, brotha! Are they doing the entire install? How long will they have your boat?

shadow
02-16-2005, 04:18 PM
You can always order one of those bling covers from rolin20.Yes they will fit
just have to tac a few threaded bungs on the intake.for that matter you can use your stock 496 engine cover.Or send out the intake for polish or coat.

SHOTKALLIN
02-16-2005, 06:08 PM
With the Raylar kit does the 496 and the 496HO achieve the same HP or does the HO achieve more HP than the plain 496? Does it make sense to buy the HO in a new boat over the 496 if you are gonna Raylar it?

shadow
02-16-2005, 08:11 PM
With the Raylar kit does the 496 and the 496HO achieve the same HP or does the HO achieve more HP than the plain 496? Does it make sense to buy the HO in a new boat over the 496 if you are gonna Raylar it?
Not sure about that you'd have to give Ray a call and double check.I would think that you'd get the same results due to the fact that the bore and stroke are the same in both motors.With the Raylar setup you would be changing the cam and heads so with the same bore and stroke new cam and heads with the intake i'd say the end result would be the same.Don't quote me on this though.

INSman
02-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Not sure about that you'd have to give Ray a call and double check.I would think that you'd get the same results due to the fact that the bore and stroke are the same in both motors.With the Raylar setup you would be changing the cam and heads so with the same bore and stroke new cam and heads with the intake i'd say the end result would be the same.Don't quote me on this though.
Here is the trick, but confirm with Ray at Raylar. I went with the 496 MAGS, which is only different from the HO by way of a cam and different program in the ECM. The Raylar kit includes a new cam, so if you can get your hands on a 496HO ECM, you are half way in business. The other half is the drive. If ordering new, almost impossible to get a 496 MAG with XR, but 496HO comes packaged with an XR as an option from Merc. I lucked out on both ends as Ray had a few 496HO ECM laying around that he bought and my boat builder was somehow able to get me the 496 MAGS with XR's.

Ivan Dan
02-16-2005, 10:30 PM
NICE!!!! I can't wait to see how it works out for ya. Talk to Roln20's and get one of his engine covers to bling it up. Besides how often do you have your engine hatch open??
I would love to see the results after you get it installed. Let me know once you get it installed and maybe we could meet up for a ride if you don't mind....I'll buy the beers.

Ivan Dan
02-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Did you get an installed price yet? Do you have the XR drive and external steering already?

Procraftkev
02-17-2005, 05:08 AM
[QUOTE=Ivan Dan]NICE!!!! I can't wait to see how it works out for ya. Talk to Roln20's and get one of his engine covers to bling it up. Besides how often do you have your engine hatch open??
The more bling bling you got on your motor, The more you open that engine cover! :cool:

INSman
02-17-2005, 07:03 AM
I don't think you can put one of those nice engine covers over the Raylar package, but check to make sure before ordering.

rvrhlic
02-17-2005, 10:58 AM
I have a installed price which is what everyone was saying, around 8100. I am going to be dropping the check off the Aaron a Absolute Marine this weekend. HE said he will order the kit and once he gets it is will be about 2-2.5 days to complete.
I did get the XR drive because I knew I was going to do something to the engine just wasn't sure what. I was seriously considering going with a Whipple but there is some many different opinions good/bad/etc. I want something truly turn key so this seems like a good option.
Ivan, certainly we can hookup and go for a cruise especially if you are buying.
rvr

shadow
02-17-2005, 11:19 AM
I don't think you can put one of those nice engine covers over the Raylar package, but check to make sure before ordering.
Sure you can.Alls you have to do is tac 3 threaded bungs on the top of the intake and screw the covers on same as you would with the stock cover.
The intake height is almost the same as stock. :smile:

shadow
02-17-2005, 11:27 AM
I have a installed price which is what everyone was saying, around 8100. I am going to be dropping the check off the Aaron a Absolute Marine this weekend. HE said he will order the kit and once he gets it is will be about 2-2.5 days to complete.
I did get the XR drive because I knew I was going to do something to the engine just wasn't sure what. I was seriously considering going with a Whipple but there is some many different opinions good/bad/etc. I want something truly turn key so this seems like a good option.
rvr
congrats on your Raylar choice.You will be very pleased,garaunteed!
Chosing Aaron for the install is a good move.Great guy to work with and knowledgeable with the Raylar package.Ray & Larry spent 3 days with Aaron
Long days and few nights Going through this complete package all the ins and outs and every little trick there is to know.I am confident you will be happy with Absolute Marines Knowledge,care with your boat and customer satisfaction.You will walk away feeling like you got what you paid for and not felling like you just got boned as many other stories we've heard here.

shadow
02-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Is Absolute Marine a good place to have my preseason service done?
John,trust me here you won't find better service!But you better call and make an appointment.They are right down the street from my dealership,if you are bringing your car to me Mon it might be a good time to drop off your boat at the same time.Get em both done same time.Aaron # 928-855-2252

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Is Absolute Marine a good place to have my preseason service done?
Yep!!!!
:wink:

OutCole'd
02-17-2005, 12:45 PM
rvr
Looking forward to hearing the results. Seems like there are a lot of people waiting to see how this works. I hope Raylar has a good inventory. They are going to be selling a lot of these kits.

INSman
02-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Sure you can.Alls you have to do is tac 3 threaded bungs on the top of the intake and screw the covers on same as you would with the stock cover.
The intake height is almost the same as stock. :smile:
I am going polished, with probably the headers and some chromed pulleys and such, so I think I will forego the cover. I never liked "bungs" anyway :jawdrop:

Ivan Dan
02-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Looking forward to hearing the results. Seems like there are a lot of people waiting to see how this works. I hope Raylar has a good inventory. They are going to be selling a lot of these kits.
If the results end up as good on our Magic DB's as it did on Shadow's Ultra 27' cat I think there will be A LOT of people doing it. I agree....if this kit ends up being as good as it sounds Raylar better have a ton of them made because they are gonna get really busy really fast.

rvrhlic
02-17-2005, 02:04 PM
okay - now the hard part, i currently have state farm and they will drop me if the boat goes abover 70. Seesm like it will. Can anybody recommend a good insurance company. I want to get an idea of rates before I committ.

Ivan Dan
02-17-2005, 02:08 PM
okay - now the hard part, i currently have state farm and they will drop me if the boat goes abover 70. Seesm like it will. Can anybody recommend a good insurance company. I want to get an idea of rates before I committ.
I have State Farm now and they have never asked me how fast it goes. They only asked me how much horsepower it came with the very first time I signed up with them. If I were to do this kit would I need to notify them? Or just take the chances?

OutCole'd
02-17-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm also with State Farm. They never asked me about speed at all, just HP.

26Daytona
02-17-2005, 02:36 PM
I've been working with Raylar for several months now on a project engine. These guys know thier business !
What we were going to do was a 10 over 496 with a steel crank, rods ect...
There has been a delay in the cranks and some personal issues have come up and I have decided to go with a different setup.
What is going in my boat is a 10 over 496 with the Raylar forged pistons and a stock crank. I'm using a Titan Big Dipper Oil Pump with a 14 quart Dooley oil pan and ARP bolts throughout the engine. If all goes well I will also be adding a ProCharger. The goal for me is 750-800 HP. The engine will be done by mid April.
As far as install prices go, I have been quoted 24 hours of labor with a flat $1000.00 charge for the removal and reinstall of the engine.
My boat runs 78.8 on GPS with a 28 Bravo Prop. When we get the engine done I will be doing full tests without the procharger and with it.

rvrhlic
02-17-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm also with State Farm. They never asked me about speed at all, just HP.
I called today just to check to see how much it would go up and they told me they don't care about HP just speed. Quote: "If it is over 70 they will drop you".
Looking around for other quotes now. I would habe to guess that you would be right around 75 OutCole'd have you had any problems?

OutCole'd
02-17-2005, 03:10 PM
I called today just to check to see how much it would go up and they told me they don't care about HP just speed. Quote: "If it is over 70 they will drop you".
Looking around for other quotes now. I would habe to guess that you would be right around 75 OutCole'd have you had any problems?
I have had no problems. Where is your agent? I would call the State Farm office in Havasu. He has done a few Magics there in Havasu and I have not heard that they are asking speed from anyone.

rvrhlic
02-17-2005, 03:18 PM
I have had no problems. Where is your agent? I would call the State Farm office in Havasu. He has done a few Magics there in Havasu and I have not heard that they are asking speed from anyone.
My agent is in Havasu, Jean Works, and that is what her office said, who is your agent I will contact them.

Ivan Dan
02-17-2005, 03:25 PM
My agent is in Havasu, Jean Works, and that is what her office said, who is your agent I will contact them.
I use Jean also....and they have never asked about speeds at all.

Not So Fast
02-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Thats funny you guys because when I got my Magic last year, we shopped at least 3 companies for insurance and was told 470hp (funny, thats what an HP 500 has right) was the limit or at least where the premiums jump big time. We shopped the big companies only and I was very surprised at the savings with Progressive over the others, substancial to say the least so if you have not shopped maybe you should get a quote from them, also have our cars with them and the premium actually just went down (gasp). Not pushing them but money saved is more for my boat!!! NSF :2purples: :2purples:

OutCole'd
02-17-2005, 03:42 PM
My agent is here in Vegas and can only write policy's to Nevada residents. I have tried to steer people his way in the past.
By the way, pretty smart to check this out first.
I would call back & tell them that's BS. Ivan Dan's boat goes over 70.... :D :D

Ivan Dan
02-17-2005, 03:47 PM
My agent is here in Vegas and can only write policy's to Nevada residents. I have tried to steer people his way in the past.
By the way, pretty smart to check this out first.
I would call back & tell them that's BS. Ivan Dan's boat goes over 70.... :D :D
:yuk: :boxingguy I WISH it did....lol 70 was the best I ever saw and that was with nothing in it....literally nothing besides my bro and I and fuel. I'm curious to see what rvrhlic comes up with on this.
Shadow....did you report these changes to your insurance company? What was the difference in premiums?

phebus
02-17-2005, 06:24 PM
i still don't know te final cost, but probably around 7500-8000
I am considering going with the package, but that is just the start of your cost.
You had better figure on a new prop, possibly external steering, possible drive upgrades, and possible insurance increases.
Better look at the big picture before jumping in. I plan on doing it, but I'm saving a lot more then the above quoted price before I make the move.

INSman
02-17-2005, 06:49 PM
I have State Farm now and they have never asked me how fast it goes. They only asked me how much horsepower it came with the very first time I signed up with them. If I were to do this kit would I need to notify them? Or just take the chances?
I am in the insurance business and have been for 18 years. Most of the larger standard companies will just shoot out an automated renewal every year after you initially go through underwriting, and there typically are no renewal questionnaires and no policy exclusions regarding modifications to the boat or engine after the policy is bound. I of course would read my own policy 3 times over to ensure my suspicions, but I would be suprised to find out otherwise. Some other not-so-mainstream companies may have less favorable policy terms and renewals may noy be automatically computer generated every year.

shadow
02-17-2005, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=rvrhlic]I called today just to check to see how much it would go up and they told me they don't care about HP just speed. Quote: "If it is over 70 they will drop you".
Don't go over 70mph. :D Or don't let your agent drive your boat. :D
and you should be just fine.

rvrhlic
02-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Okay - i am doing it. There are some added costs of course but when i bought my boat i went with the XR drive because I knew i was going to do something. The prop is an added expence but I think a bravo 1 is 450 from Teague so you can find it somehwere else for less than that.
You don't really "need" external steering until after 80. I will not be running the thing at 80, it will be cruising (hopefully) at 55-60.
There are expenses but there are always stuff with a boat. I just think it will give me the extra umph I am looking for.
I will be going by Absolute this weekend to give him a check for the kit and then settle when it is done. Hope to be on the water 2nd weekend in March with the new kit running.
I will report to all you guys with the deckboat after I get it done and let you know how it works out.
I will know for sure when it will be done, the boat has to go to car toyz to get the new sub in too next week so.... yeah.... there are always more expenses!!
rvr

Ivan Dan
02-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Okay - i am doing it. There are some added costs of course but when i bought my boat i went with the XR drive because I knew i was going to do something. The prop is an added expence but I think a bravo 1 is 450 from Teague so you can find it somehwere else for less than that.
You don't really "need" external steering until after 80. I will not be running the thing at 80, it will be cruising (hopefully) at 55-60.
There are expenses but there are always stuff with a boat. I just think it will give me the extra umph I am looking for.
I will be going by Absolute this weekend to give him a check for the kit and then settle when it is done. Hope to be on the water 2nd weekend in March with the new kit running.
I will report to all you guys with the deckboat after I get it done and let you know how it works out.
I will know for sure when it will be done, the boat has to go to car toyz to get the new sub in too next week so.... yeah.... there are always more expenses!!
rvr
COOL!!! I was serious about going for a ride once you get it done. Let me know when you are planning to do the maiden voyage and maybe we can arrange to meet up then.
Where you putting a sub? What size? What other stereo set up do you have so far?

TPI
02-18-2005, 06:23 AM
Remember,
Everything will be fine, unless there is a fatality accident. If you have a lot to lose, I would make sure your insurance company knows exactly what you have. It's a big crapshoot to do anything else. A guy could lose everything fast in that scenario, it happens.....................
In my research for insurance, I found out that "most" large companies do not cover boats that go over 50 mph? It's a lot of money for performance insurance, but I dont see any better way to "cover" your performance boat, and your family/friends.

TPI
02-18-2005, 06:26 AM
Okay - i am doing it.
rvr
Pay the money and put the steering on it. It will be too sloppy and its not a safe practice.

phebus
02-18-2005, 06:53 AM
Pay the money and put the steering on it. It will be too sloppy and its not a safe practice.
Also, I don't know if it is the actual speed increase that would require it, but rather the added increase in torque that you are adding that would be the main effect on steering.

TPI
02-18-2005, 07:05 AM
At "freeway" speeds in a boat, there is a lot of "side to side" slop on the drive with conventional cable steering. Its not safe. The drive will move around in different water conditions. We all want a safe boating season. If our performance boats are set up safe/reliable to begin with, than a big part of the safe boating problem is already resolved.

DM25CITATION
02-18-2005, 01:52 PM
I Have A 496 Mag On A 25 Citation. I Just Ordered The Raylar Kit. Us Guys With The 496 Mag, Ray Said The Only Thing We Need Is The Ecm From A Ho And He Has A Few Ecm Left.
I Cant Wait For It To Be Installed. My Motor Is Already Stripped Down And Ready For The Install.
Does Anyone Know When The Next Kits Are Going To Be Ready For Deliverly.
THE Only Weak Part I Have Is The Bravo One Drive. I Have Heard If U Dont Full Thottle Off The Start, U Should Be Ok.

rvrhlic
02-18-2005, 02:12 PM
I am putting the sub under the engine hatch. There is really not alot of room for it. I currently have JL 6x9's, 2 JL 10's and 1 JL 12 w6v2 I am adding another 12w6v2. I havw JL 300/1, 500/1 and 300/4 to power them. Then of course the Sony head unit so you can have the wired remote. And a disk changer.
Where you putting a sub? What size? What other stereo set up do you have so far?
I guess i will look into external steering but that may have to wait a little with all the other stuff the "has to" be done.
rvr

Indiansprings
02-24-2005, 12:05 PM
If your insurance wants to know how fast. Tell them... Just be sure your trimmed all the way down and keep it there. You can then say "It will only do about 50MPH" You wont be lieing either. :wink:

CornWater
02-24-2005, 12:17 PM
The law requiring the first letter of every word to be capitalized was recently repealed. :wink:
LMAO.. That had to be a mofo to type.. :rollside:

Havasu_Dreamin
02-24-2005, 12:28 PM
I would hate to be in a situation where I had to file a claim against my insurance company and they denied me because I was not truthful when securing the policy.

phebus
02-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Insurance even though expensive, gives me a certain peace of mind. If I thought I wasn't truly protected by some false information I provided, that peace of mind wouldn't be there, and the uneasy feeling would bother me. I hate having to look back over your shoulder.

Indiansprings
02-24-2005, 12:33 PM
You are still telling the truth with your drive down all the way.

shadow
02-24-2005, 12:59 PM
If your insurance wants to know how fast. Tell them... Just be sure your trimmed all the way down and keep it there. You can then say "It will only do about 50MPH" You wont be lieing either. :wink:
Not! Still way over 50mph with trim all the way down.
But let me ask this.Would you call your insurance company if putting a set of aftermarket headers?Some claim 40 hp increase. :confused:
would you call if you put a K&n air filter on?they claim a couple of hp or some performance increase. :confused:
How about a labbed prop? that will get you a few mph.
How about boats that are borderline to fast and installing a shitty set of mufflers now it loses rpms and speed.Then should it be ok?
At what point do you call and report your modifacations or upgrades?
Not directed at you Indiansprings just a question in general. :rollside:

Havasu_Dreamin
02-24-2005, 01:03 PM
Personally, I would call if I added anything that added significant performance over the stock version. In this example, going from 425 HP to 550 with this kit, to me that would be a significant increase.

INSman
02-24-2005, 01:05 PM
Not! Still way over 50mph with trim all the way down.
But let me ask this.Would you call your insurance company if putting a set of aftermarket headers?Some claim 40 hp increase. :confused:
would you call if you put a K&n air filter on?they claim a couple of hp or some performance increase. :confused:
How about a labbed prop? that will get you a few mph.
How about boats that are borderline to fast and installing a shitty set of mufflers now it loses rpms and speed.Then should it be ok?
Not directed at you Indiansprings just a question in general. :rollside:
Geat observations Darrell..
I will again reiterate that for the most part (not having the opportunity to read everyone's own policy) there has been nothing that I have seen that states that you must report ANY changes or performance upgrades to the boat. If however, in the process of applying for the coverage/policy you were untruthful or misleading on what was specifically asked by the agent or what was written in the application, then you are "screwed' for sure. This comment relates to what I would call the "Standard" insurance carriers like Farmers, State Farm, Allstate, Progressive and such. What ACE, Markel or any of the "High Performance" insurance carriers are doing, is anyones guess.

shadow
02-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Geat observations Darrell..
I will again reiterate that for the most part (not having the opportunity to read everyone's own policy) there has been nothing that I have seen that states that you must report ANY changes or performance upgrades to the boat. If however, in the process of applying for the coverage/policy you were untruthful or misleading on what was specifically asked by the agent or what was written in the application, then you are "screwed' for sure. This comment relates to what I would call the "Standard" insurance carriers like Farmers, State Farm, Allstate, Progressive and such. What ACE, Markel or any of the "High Performance" insurance carriers are doing, is anyones guess.
Besides all those aluminum parts are for decoration,just like a boat bling engine cover.
You can never belive all those aftermarket performance claims.Individual results may vary. :wink:

Chris Winn
02-24-2005, 02:33 PM
I am considering going with the package, but that is just the start of your cost.
You had better figure on a new prop, possibly external steering, possible drive upgrades, and possible insurance increases.
Better look at the big picture before jumping in. I plan on doing it, but I'm saving a lot more then the above quoted price before I make the move.
i have figured on most of those items Phebus (by the way, how have you been)
1) i have a labbed 24p prop for sale, that should cover the cost of my new prop
2)i had the boat built with an XR drive and full hydrolic (from the helm) dual ram Imco steering.
3) i don't think the insurance will go up too much, mabye $100 per year.

phebus
02-24-2005, 02:58 PM
Chris, I'm doing better, and recovering well from the surgery.
I'm excited for you doing the Raylar upgrade to your boat.
Please PM me with what you are selling the 24P prop for.
Thanks,
Rick

rvrhlic
02-24-2005, 03:25 PM
I will have a stock 24 pitch bravo 1 for sales real soon if anyone if interested. It is in perfect condition.

DM25CITATION
03-02-2005, 10:32 AM
i ordered my raylar kit on 02/02/2005. has anyone got their kit yet?????
iam still waiting for mind. just wondering if anyone got theirs.

dr. margarita
03-02-2005, 07:57 PM
like a boat bling engine cover.
It's catching!!!!!

Raylar
03-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Just to let everyone know before the rumors start flying around to quick. We have been shipping the Raylar kits as fast as we can finsh all the parts correctly and complete. We have completely sold out of our first 25 kits and we have guaranteed those to everyone who has placed their orders before today encluding a couple of guys responding to this post. Between WED and Friday of this week we will be shipping the last of those kits. We have 50 more kits in production now and we are sceheduled to have those ready for shipping around the 22nd. of March. We have in production a minimum of 50 kits per month beyond that and we will increase production every chance we get. Please realize though we will not make short cuts on quality or the completeness of our products and we think 50 a month should satisfy the entire industry for a while, after that will just have to see if more production is needed. Our kits are now spread around the globe to Germany and Italy and the USA is pretty well represented. I would like to thank those ***boaters who took a chance with us and I am now sure they all have smiles on their faces. We really feel fortunate that we have answered the need for parts for the 496 marine engine and wait till you see some of the new goodies we're working on. We are not done yet, the 496 has only begun to roar! We will also try to keep the monster on a diet when it comes to costs, unlike that big blue motor monster.
Thanks for you Ear
Ray @ Raylar

Essex502
03-03-2005, 07:14 AM
Just to let everyone know before the rumors start flying around to quick. We have been shipping the Raylar kits as fast as we can finsh all the parts correctly and complete. We have completely sold out of our first 25 kits and we have guaranteed those to everyone who has placed their orders before today encluding a couple of guys responding to this post. Between WED and Friday of this week we will be shipping the last of those kits. We have 50 more kits in production now and we are sceheduled to have those ready for shipping around the 22nd. of March. We have in production a minimum of 50 kits per month beyond that and we will increase production every chance we get. Please realize though we will not make short cuts on quality or the completeness of our products and we think 50 a month should satisfy the entire industry for a while, after that will just have to see if more production is needed. Our kits are now spread around the globe to Germany and Italy and the USA is pretty well represented. I would like to thank those ***boaters who took a chance with us and I am now sure they all have smiles on their faces. We really feel fortunate that we have answered the need for parts for the 496 marine engine and wait till you see some of the new goodies we're working on. We are not done yet, the 496 has only begun to roar! We will also try to keep the monster on a diet when it comes to costs, unlike that big blue motor monster.
Thanks for you Ear
Ray @ Raylar
Though I'm not in the market for one of your kits at the present time, I is nice to see the manufacturer come on to these boards and answer a concern directly and not through some intermediary. Refreshing and appreciated.

INSman
03-03-2005, 07:38 AM
Ray is a 1st class guy, all the way.. :cool:

Chris Winn
03-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Ray is a 1st class guy, all the way.. :cool:
wait until you work with him, it only gets better!
thanks ray- both you and Larry are 1st class guys, and you know how to take care of your customers.

Raylar
03-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks Guys:
It really is nice the compliments we are getting from you ***boaters :smile: , both Larry and I are trying very hard to make our customer smile a lot. But it would not be fair to take all of the credit, our dealers like Absolute, Extreme and others need to get a great deal of the credit for doing such great installs. I think this will be a very fun 496 year!
Ray @ Raylar :boxed:

Nordicflame
03-04-2005, 10:12 AM
The base numbers sound very encouraging for this kit and I have two stock HOs in our Flame that would love to have another 100hp.
So far the test have been in cats. These cats didn't have enough power with the stock 496HO to start lifting (entrapping air) and the Raylar kit has enabled them to overcome this dilemma resulting in the stellar gains.
100 hp should net you a 6-8 mph gain on a V.
Still a far cry from the $$$ they want for a 525EFI ;)

phebus
03-04-2005, 11:13 AM
The base numbers sound very encouraging for this kit and I have two stock HOs in our Flame that would love to have another 100hp.
So far the test have been in cats. These cats didn't have enough power with the stock 496HO to start lifting (entrapping air) and the Raylar kit has enabled them to overcome this dilemma resulting in the stellar gains.
100 hp should net you a 6-8 mph gain on a V.
Still a far cry from the $$$ they want for a 525EFI ;)
Wait till you see the gains Chris Winn gets with the Raylar kit he is installing. He is installing his in a 29' Magic Wizard which is a Vee. He is just about to water test, so results should be forthcoming. I now have seen Shadow's install, and he has posted his results (in a cat), and have seen the install in Chris Winn's boat, and it sure is a nice looking kit.

Ivan Dan
03-04-2005, 11:24 AM
<-----can't wait until Rvrhlic gets his done so us Magic DB guys can have first hand results. Almost done???? :D

Nordicflame
03-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Does Chris have baseline data i.e. Temps, conditions, load, etc?
It would be a great test if so.

rvrhlic
03-04-2005, 11:51 AM
<-----can't wait until Rvrhlic gets his done so us Magic DB guys can have first hand results. Almost done???? :D
I can't wait either. Aaron is waiting for the parts for Raylar and then he is getting started. I am hoping (not likely) that he gets the kits today or Monday and can have me running by next weekend. Otherwise, I will have to wait until the 26th to see the results.
DAMN..... I can't wait!

INSman
03-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Fellow ***boaters will also soon be able to see results from a "Twin" Raylar install on a 29' "V". My boat should be done in about another 4 weeks max, and we are immediately doing the Raylar upgrade to my stock twin 496 MAGS. So I will be seeing the difference of 375HP (496MAG) up to what will probably end up to about 545HP or so per motor with the headers. All together, I should add 340HP and be running almost 1,100HP total.
Can't wait !!! :D :D :D

DM25CITATION
03-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Hey Guys,
I Just Got My Raylar Kit Today. I Have A 25citation That Is Vee Bottom . My 496 Mag Is Stripped And Ready For The Kit. The Boat Should Be Back Together By Next Weekend. I Will Be Posting The Results As Soon As I Can.

INSman
03-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Hey Guys,
I Just Got My Raylar Kit Today. I Have A 25citation That Is Vee Bottom . My 496 Mag Is Stripped And Ready For The Kit. The Boat Should Be Back Together By Next Weekend. I Will Be Posting The Results As Soon As I Can.
Who is doing your install ???

DM25CITATION
03-04-2005, 05:34 PM
My Father In Law And I (his A Mechanic). He Makes It Look Easy To Take The Engine Apart. I Would Never Do It On My Own.

INSman
03-04-2005, 05:37 PM
There are a few "tricks" that you might want to ask Ray about at Raylar that will either make the install easier or will produce better results. Just not sure what they are or how easy they are to do.

DM25CITATION
03-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Ray Is Awsome, The Kit Comes With A Manuel That Tells U Everything, From Intsall To Tricks With The Stock Manifolds.

INSman
03-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Ray Is Awsome, The Kit Comes With A Manuel That Tells U Everything, From Intsall To Tricks With The Stock Manifolds.
Perfect, you are in like flynn then !! Congrats and hope to hee you at the Zoo !!!

moneypit
03-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Earlier in this thread I read that the motor was pulled to intall the Raylar upgrade. Does the motor have to be pulled or can it be done with the motor in place..
has anyone put this in a large V bottom?

shadow
03-08-2005, 06:08 AM
Earlier in this thread I read that the motor was pulled to intall the Raylar upgrade. Does the motor have to be pulled or can it be done with the motor in place..
has anyone put this in a large V bottom?
That all depends,if your back seat is molded in the boat or can be removed,the other thing is you will need access to pull the crank pulley and harmonic balancer then timing cover and camshaft.Basiclly you have to strip the engine to a short block and then reassemble.I'd say as easy as it is to pull a boat engine it's easier to yank it out and do the work on a engine stand.Results just keep getting better,i was out this past weekend and trying a labbed 26 prop, I was peggged on the rev limiter @ 78mph with 3/4 throttle.
I am going to have to run a 28 prop Just to get full throttle and stay off the rev limiter.Thats a huge increase from the 24 i was running.With a labbed 28 i will guess i will gain about 15-16 mph over stock.

moneypit
03-08-2005, 11:54 AM
That is huge. What places are working with Raylar in the Los Angeles area?

DM25CITATION
03-08-2005, 12:27 PM
hey shadow,
have u had any problems yet? still a turn key motor and relieble? im almost done with my install on my 25 citation vee bottom. i cant wait until i hit havasu at the end of the month. maybe we can meet that weekend. i have a 24 pitch prop now. u have been testing all different props. Is there a place in havasu that i can rent props to test? i just dont want to buy one and not be happy with it. whats your rev limiter at ?

INSman
03-08-2005, 01:50 PM
MP
You want to call either Kirk or Paul at Extreme Custom Marine, in maybe Santa Ana I believe. (714) 546-2206. They are the local SoCal dealer/installer for Raylar.

moneypit
03-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks. I will do that.
MP
You want to call either Kirk or Paul at Extreme Custom Marine, in maybe Santa Ana I believe. (714) 546-2206. They are the local SoCal dealer/installer for Raylar.

Chris Winn
03-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Thanks. I will do that.
call kirk or Paul, they did my kit and i will recomend them to anyone, they are very good.
i will post more results on this soon, this is all i can give for now.
call them and they can really help you.

shadow
03-08-2005, 04:38 PM
hey shadow,
have u had any problems yet? still a turn key motor and relieble? im almost done with my install on my 25 citation vee bottom. i cant wait until i hit havasu at the end of the month. maybe we can meet that weekend. i have a 24 pitch prop now. u have been testing all different props. Is there a place in havasu that i can rent props to test? i just dont want to buy one and not be happy with it. whats your rev limiter at ?
Have you had any problems yet?No and don't expect any This is a well put together package,better than stock for reliability.You have less heat,cleaner burning combustion chambers,engine is able to breath now,& lighter.Results have only been getting better each time i go out.Feels like a completely different boat.Theres a few prop shops to try around town to borrow props from,I've got a 26 you can try but you will also probablly need to try a 28,
I was using a labbed 26 this past weekend and i'm running out of prop.I'm now looking for a labbed 28.I should be around the end of the month give me a call.

shadow
03-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Not sure about LA area but sounds like Chris Winn is happy with his installer.
My personal choice would be Aaron @ Absolute speed & Marine in Havasu.
Aaron has first hand install experience with Ray and Larry of Raylar and has proven results after install with my boat.Aaron has built a great reputation as many on these boards have vouched for.Alls you'd have to do is make arrangements for him to have the parts in then drop off your boat for a few days then drive down to the launch with or without Aaron for your testing.Any concerns he's right there 2 min from the launch and you don't need to drag your boat back and fourth "if" there was a bug to be worked out.

DM25CITATION
03-08-2005, 05:47 PM
shadow,
i havent had any problem with the install. just little parts missing, but all u have to do is call ray @raylar and they will ship it out over night. they are great. the kit goes together pretty easy. i should be done by wednesday night. if u dont mine, i will take u up for borrowing that 26 prop to test. whats your number so i can call u at the end of the month and maybe we ca also throw some beers down to on the lake too . can i have those names of the shop around havasu too?

shadow
03-08-2005, 06:40 PM
shadow,
i havent had any problem with the install. just little parts missing, but all u have to do is call ray @raylar and they will ship it out over night. they are great. the kit goes together pretty easy. i should be done by wednesday night. if u dont mine, i will take u up for borrowing that 26 prop to test. whats your number so i can call u at the end of the month and maybe we ca also throw some beers down to on the lake too . can i have those names of the shop around havasu too?
Heres my #928-486-7399
Here's a couple of prop shops in town,i don't know exactly how they work it but i,m sure you just give them a deposit.
Gibbs propeller 928-453-8000
Propeller company 928-505-7707
skips prop shop 928-855-0887 and you may also want to try Doug at Alco
928-855-2370
Talk to you soon & good luck with your install,can't wait to see a few more results on different syles of boat.
Darrell

rvrhlic
03-08-2005, 07:14 PM
I am stoked, just got a call from Aaron, he will have my Raylar kit for me on Friday. The only thing that sucks is I cannot make it up there until the 25th so I have to wait until then to try it out.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
03-08-2005, 08:22 PM
shadow,
I also have a labbed 26P in Havasu if you need one......
I ran it on my 27' when I had the Whippled 496.....
I may be interested in selling it.....
Later,
CJG
:smile:

DM25CITATION
03-09-2005, 10:10 AM
thanks, shaken
how much do u want for that prop.
thanks shadow too
we should have a gathering at the end of the month some where on the lake, us guys who install the raylar kit.

moneypit
03-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Just talked to ALexi at Boostpower. They install the raylar kit. He said that they would install new pistons and some other internals along with the kit. He also said that the engine would need to be re-balanced. They also run a propshaft dyno. He seemed to beleive that this was the safest technique with and 496HO improvements.
So I didnt get a number for a basic rayar install. He says that he would charge $12000 for a bullet proof motor with all the things I talked about.
He really didnt recommend the procharger or whipple for the same reasons I have read in these forums.
Im still skeptical about just slapping on parts to this motor... Might work, might not. He says that the technology will continue to change which will make improving the 496 alot easier.
They are woirking on a program where you can trade in your 496 for an already juiced up 496.

INSman
03-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Just talked to ALexi at Boostpower. They install the raylar kit. He said that they would install new pistons and some other internals along with the kit. He also said that the engine would need to be re-balanced. They also run a propshaft dyno. He seemed to beleive that this was the safest technique with and 496HO improvements.
So I didnt get a number for a basic rayar install. He says that he would charge $12000 for a bullet proof motor with all the things I talked about.
He really didnt recommend the procharger or whipple for the same reasons I have read in these forums.
Im still skeptical about just slapping on parts to this motor... Might work, might not. He says that the technology will continue to change which will make improving the 496 alot easier.
They are woirking on a program where you can trade in your 496 for an already juiced up 496.
I would run these discussions by Ray at Raylar. Not saying that there could not be some benefit from doing what was suggested, but I don't think it is anywhere close to necessity.. Just my .02c

Chris Winn
03-09-2005, 04:15 PM
just wait, you will all see very soon how this kit works ;)

moneypit
03-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Thats the problem with improving horsepower and performance over the years... from the racetrack to the water. someone gets to be the guiney pig. I cant wait to hear how everyone does with putting hours on their boat...

phebus
03-09-2005, 04:23 PM
just wait, you will all see very soon how this kit works ;)
Now that's what I'm talking about!! The talk is over, and the proof is in the pudding.
We've seen the gains Darrel got with his Ultra Cat, and now we are about to see the gains Chris gets with his big Vee (I know the dyno results).
I have talked with Aaron at Absolute, as well as the guys at ECM that are doing Chris's install, and they have good things to say about the kit, and don't doubt it's reliability.
I guess we will have to see in the long run how the kit holds up, but since you aren't raising boost or temps, they say the stock 496 pistons shouldn't be a problem.
If I only had money.......

DM25CITATION
03-09-2005, 04:24 PM
hey chris
hows yout kit going??? my should be done tonight, but i wouldnt have results until the end of the month.

Chris Winn
03-09-2005, 04:31 PM
mine has been done for about 2 weeks, we are going to do some testing 1st for overall mph gain. i have been asked not to say too much so i can't at this point.
but in reagrds to the reliability, the engine runs as conservative a merc builds them (you will soon see why) and is more efficient overall so the engine thoeretically will lst a bit longer, plus it lost about 100lbs (more room for beer)
i have no issues with how it will run, Raylar has done their homework on thsi kit. find me this spring or summer and i will take you for a ride, i get my 1st one on Friday!

DM25CITATION
03-09-2005, 04:31 PM
phepus,
thats what interest free credit cards are for. your borrowing free moneyand paying later. thats what iam doing to get my kit.

Chris Winn
03-09-2005, 04:33 PM
If I only had money.......[/QUOTE]
thats why i am doing the kit before the baby is born, cuz i know that i won't have it once the kid is here.
i only hope the wife doesn't find out what i spent on the kit :hammer2:

DM25CITATION
03-09-2005, 04:38 PM
your serect is safe with us, chris winn

shadow
03-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Thats the problem with improving horsepower and performance over the years... from the racetrack to the water. someone gets to be the guiney pig. I cant wait to hear how everyone does with putting hours on their boat...
NO DOUBT,More efficient,lighter,cooler,Than the cast iron heat retaining,choked up truck engine that the 496 started as.
Chris i've heard the dyno #'s.congradulations.Pm me with the water test results.Thanks.
Darrell