PDA

View Full Version : follow up

Hallett19
01-14-2002, 12:47 PM
I want to hear about someone who has run their jet out of water for years and years at substantial amounts of time and have not had any probs, if that does not happen I will believe it, but as long as there is water going to the motor and pump, I don't see the prop, I have run my boat for up to an hour with water going to it of course, I have had my boat for 2 years and never a prop with the pump

cyclone
01-14-2002, 01:34 PM
My boat is a 1971 and my parents were the original owners. They ran it out of the water all the time to tune it up. When I took posession of it 7 years ago, I had the motor rebuilt and the mechanic ran it for about 45 min out of the water while he broke in the cam. The Berkely jet is all original, never been rebuilt, and still works. I know nothing about jets so I couldnt tell you if any damage was done. But I know that its still working.

RiverDave2
01-14-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Hallett19:
never a prop with the pump[/B]
Yep... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
RD

Bense468
01-15-2002, 01:02 AM
alright here is my opinion on this. When I am trying to get ready for the river I am usually putting the boat back together and usually don't have time to start pulling drive lines. I have started mine several times out of the water because I am not towing out there without doing that period. Other people will say don't. I never run mine for that long of a time. Don't make it a habit starting it all the time though. It also depends on how tight you are set up. I am set up tight but not extremly tight. The water does balance your impeller though. Just my 2 cents

Flat Screwd
01-15-2002, 09:52 PM
2 things . First is some pumps are built tight the tolorance between the impeller and wear ring is very close almost tuching. And water is required to cool the two surfaces. Second is that some pumps have a bronze bushing that suports the shaft in the bowl that is only lubed during the assembly process. My Dominator is that way. So any prolonged running without the cooling effects of water will lead to premature shaft and bushing wear.