PDA

View Full Version : OCT 2003 Hot Boat 700hp motor

wet77
01-16-2005, 10:09 AM
I have been looking through the old issues of HB for ideas on my motor and came across the Low Maintenance Powerhouse article in 2003 oct HB. Page122
Does anyone know who's motor this is or if he is on this forum?
This type of setup would be just what I am looking for (low maintenance)
Was wondering though about the hydraulic roller cam and if its still holding up good for him?
I was told not to run one but only a solid roller in a jet.
Any info would be great :wink:

MikeF
01-16-2005, 10:40 AM
That is HBjets bullet! I believe he is pretty happy with it! :D :cool:

bp
01-16-2005, 11:10 AM
lvjetboy might have an opinion on hydraulic roller motors?

wet77
01-16-2005, 12:14 PM
lvjetboy might have an opinion on hydraulic roller motors?
What might that be? :confused:

bp
01-16-2005, 03:48 PM
well, i think he's been running a hydraulic roller motor for about 3 years on the lakes? so, perhaps he might have some thoughts about them? don't know what they are, haven't asked him..

bp
01-16-2005, 03:50 PM
just to clarify, i run a solid roller motor. not exceptionally radical, check lash routinely, but no problems. mostly track, some lake running, but not a lot. motor has been together for 3 years, this will be the 4th. no problems.

bakerjet
01-16-2005, 04:38 PM
i'm running mercruiser's 454 magnum with hyd. roller, :) no problems

HBjet
01-16-2005, 04:47 PM
WET, I just replied to your email...
That is my motor and its a runner. Ask anyone who goes to the river with me, I pretty much run the hell out of it and its holding up just perfectly. I have to credit my builder for building such a runner though. I have ran 2 different 19' California Performance Gullwings with the same motor (496, tunnel ram) and both of them had mech. roller and running on AV gas or better. Both of them claimed to be 750hp motors and both of them got a nice (close) view of my transom. So go figure!
HBjet

bp
01-16-2005, 07:49 PM
difference between your hull and 19s would be like flippin coins, especially with what you've had done to yours, and who knows what they've had done to theirs. a stock 19 compared to what you've had done to yours? hah.
just like everything else, there are 19s, and then there are 19s. i don't think you'd have much hope against brett for example... :D. but then, that's not really equal, is it?

Fogged Gullwing
01-16-2005, 08:19 PM
I think you were reading about that DNE pump gas motor 750 hp. Dave bulids a killer motor and from what I know they are fully dependable. If you call info for DNE Motorsports in costa mesa ca. you should be able to get the number. He's located right next door to MPD so it could be a two for one stop.
BK

flat broke
01-16-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm running another DNE 498 ci variant. Pump gas (91 octane) compatible, relatively low maintenence (just run the valve lash), and turn key as the day is long. I've only had mine in the boat for a couple of outings, but I'm nothing but pleased with the end result. One of the really nice things about Dave is that he has a large jet boat clientel and knows where the power needs to be made. You won't see any 7k rpm peak HP numbers coming out on mills that he and the owner built for the purpose of using in your standard lake/river racer jetboat. I'd say that if you're looking to have a professional engine builder in CA do your jet boat motor, DNE should definitely be on your short list of places to check out.
Chris

HBjet
01-16-2005, 11:30 PM
difference between your hull and 19s would be like flippin coins, especially with what you've had done to yours, and who knows what they've had done to theirs. a stock 19 compared to what you've had done to yours? hah.
just like everything else, there are 19s, and then there are 19s. i don't think you'd have much hope against brett for example... :D. but then, that's not really equal, is it?
I was stating the example of my hull with the gullwings because a stock gullwing should out perform my hull if the bottom was stock. Since it isn't, and both gullwings claimed to be making 750hp with similar motor setups as mine. I think its a close enough comparison.. maybe not? Oh, I forgot to mention... I have a bow light and neither of them did :) As for running Brett.. I would for fun, but I'm certain the out come wouldn't be in my favor!
HBjet

TRG
01-17-2005, 07:24 AM
i need to install one of those bow lights on my rig!
its good for some ass whoopin right?
lol

bp
01-17-2005, 08:55 AM
I was stating the example of my hull with the gullwings because a stock gullwing should out perform my hull if the bottom was stock. Since it isn't, and both gullwings claimed to be making 750hp with similar motor setups as mine. I think its a close enough comparison.. maybe not? Oh, I forgot to mention... I have a bow light and neither of them did :) As for running Brett.. I would for fun, but I'm certain the out come wouldn't be in my favor!
HBjet
oyeah, the bowlight factor, forgot about that one, mybad... :cry:
i betcha got some special formula clear speedcoat on it though. :idea:

djdtpr
01-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Ive been at the river with HB and he definatly runs that thing ALOT.I also have ridden in that boat and it really runs hard and for a long time.I think for a river runner its the best bang for the buck.

wet77
01-17-2005, 09:22 AM
Ive been at the river with HB and he definatly runs that thing ALOT.I also have ridden in that boat and it really runs hard and for a long time.I think for a river runner its the best bang for the buck.
He sent me a reply which basicly said the same that it was a good way to go :cool:
I hope with a single carb, aluminum heads and a 540 I should be in that ballpark HP range too!

MudPumper
01-17-2005, 09:45 AM
Wet, I've been to the river with HB and have ridden in the boat in it really moves. I've only known Randy to run at two speeds, idle and full throttle. You can't go wrong.

LVjetboy
01-18-2005, 01:58 PM
"lvjetboy might have an opinion on hydraulic roller motors?"
Of course i do. :) As with Randy, Bp and others, credit goes to DNE. My 540 turns 6200 on the lake for about 650 true hp on a typical lake day. Dyno corrected, well over 700 hp. That's with Crane hydraulic rollers (CRA 13532-16)
The good, one less thing to check before heading to the lake...only take the covers off to change the oil.
The bad, I'm pretty close to max rpm with hydraulics and my cam/spring setup. So I'm rpm limited and missing out on the extra power a solid can deliver. A racer like bp wouldn't want that. But if hydraulics gets you the performance you want, they work fine. No doubt there's some jets with solids (and av gas) the Dragn'd give a run for their money. :D :D
...then again, it could be my bow light.
jer

disco_charger
01-18-2005, 02:13 PM
I think Randy's motor is amazing. I like to give him shit about it, but truth be told, he runs the piss out of it, and it always seems to run great. It sure seems like a great river rod combo...