PDA

View Full Version : I need some plumbing advice...

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-16-2005, 10:11 AM
My dishwasher will not drain all of the water out. It is pooling in the bottom about an inch or two deep. Why is it happening and how do i fix it?

Mandelon
01-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Did ya check the waste line? Sometimes they get clogged up where they enter the disposal, and occasionally at the airgap. The hose can get pinched between the airgap and the disposal. If you have just replaced the disposal, don't forget the knockout plug needs to be removed.
IF that's clear, its probably an issue in the appliance itself. Check with the Flyin Vees.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-16-2005, 10:17 AM
i did just replace the disposal. what's the knockout plug?

Mandelon
01-16-2005, 10:19 AM
A-Ha! Where the waste line that comes from the air gap goes into the disposal there is an inlet. You put the black hose on to it and tightened the clamp right?
Take that fitting off and get a big screwdriver and a hammer. stick your finger into the hole and you will feel a metal knockout plug. Whack at it a couple of times with the screwdriver and hammer and it will pop out.
Some folks still in the stone age do not have dishwashers and leave that plug in, so the water and food don't shoot out under their cabinets. :hammerhea

Stupid Fast
01-16-2005, 10:20 AM
i did just replace the disposal. what's the knockout plug?
It is a plug in the disposal that keeps the thing from throwing water and ground up stuff out of the disposal if you do not hook up a dishwasher. If you hook up the dishwasher you "knock it out so that the water can drain into the disposal....

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-16-2005, 10:23 AM
you guys kick arse......

Mandelon
01-16-2005, 10:25 AM
Its amazing the level of expertise on the boards for almost any subject. Somebody knows something useful.
If its just smartass comments you need, we are good at that too. :rollside: :rolleyes:
Lets see if our advice works first...... :idea:

Stupid Fast
01-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Just don't ask where to put a prop or about useing golf cat batteries..... :D

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Its amazing the level of expertise on the boards for almost any subject. Somebody knows something useful.
If its just smartass comments you need, we are good at that too. :rollside: :rolleyes:
Lets see if our advice works first...... :idea:
Sure enough it says in Step 8-- Remove knockout plug. It has pictures and everything. That's what i get for reading the instructions!!
So i knocked it out, turned on the d/washer and it drained right away.
Thanks Mandy.....

Mandelon
01-16-2005, 11:19 AM
You are most welcome, sir. The price will be one cold one, on the river, somewhere, someday. :smile:

OutCole'd
01-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Mandy, is there anything you can't do?

rrrr
01-16-2005, 01:18 PM
Very impressive plumbing detective work. You should be on TV.... :D :D

Mandelon
01-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Its true. I am amazing. :hammerhea

Wet Dream
01-16-2005, 03:34 PM
Heres a little more info for you too. I'm remodeling my kitchen and removed the dishwasher and the drain hose that goes to the disposal. Not thinking, I used the garbage disposal. I found plenty of water and muck at the bottom of the cabinet. :hammerhea