PDA

View Full Version : More plumbing help

spectratoad
01-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Time to tap the wealth of knowledge again here.
I ripped out my old shower/tub insert. I am wondering now how to slide the new insert in and clear/install the shower faucet head etc.... Do I install the new one in the shower then get to it from under the house in the crawlspace of open up the other side of the wall to be able to access it???? I'm not worried about not being able to do it I am just looking for any easier methods that may be out there.
Thanks guys and gals.
:) :squiggle:

Stupid Fast
01-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Time to tap the wealth of knowledge again here.
I ripped out my old shower/tub insert. I am wondering now how to slide the new insert in and clear/install the shower faucet head etc.... Do I install the new one in the shower then get to it from under the house in the crawlspace of open up the other side of the wall to be able to access it???? I'm not worried about not being able to do it I am just looking for any easier methods that may be out there.
Thanks guys and gals.
:) :squiggle:
Do you mean to get the drain to line up and everything? I just have always checked and double checked they layout for the rough in and it just seems to always work......I do not like messing with drywall ceilings!

spectratoad
01-16-2005, 05:03 PM
The drain and stuff is no problem. I am talking about the supply lines, faucet etc....
I am trying to do this without tearing up a bunch of sheetrock.

rrrr
01-16-2005, 05:18 PM
You should be able to turn off the water in your house and disassemble the valves by removing the stems. The tub spout and shower head are 1/2 pipe threads, just unscrew 'em and remove the old enclosure.
Measure the location of the valves, spout, and head on the new enclosure, cut it out with a holesaw, and slide the enclosure in place. Then reassemble the valve.
Make sure you completely seal the penetration through the enclosure with a good silicone caulk.
The valve should come apart something like this:
http://db.grohecatalog.com/upload/p_explo/E35251US.jpg
Just start taking it apart, like when you were a kid.... It'll all work out. :D :D

spectratoad
01-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah I got the old tub out already. Thanks for the pic. That will help for the new one. My existing is all on piece. I can take the stem out but it still has a nose piece and the flat face of the mixer part does not come off like the one in the picture. I am going to probably put a whole new faucet in and get on that comes apart like that. If it does that then it should be easier to slide the new enclosure in. :idea:

rrrr
01-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Oh, I forgot. Drinking heavily makes the task more fun and helps the quality of your work. :hammer2: :hammer2: :D :D

Stupid Fast
01-16-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah I got the old tub out already. Thanks for the pic. That will help for the new one. My existing is all on piece. I am going to probably put a whole new faucet in and get on that comes apart like that. If it does that then it should be easier to slide the new enclosure in. :idea:
Most if not ALL fixtures come apart.....the good ones it is not so aparent how they come apart.....but I am almost positive yours will.

Stupid Fast
01-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Oh, I forgot. Drinking heavily makes the task more fun and helps the quality of your work. :hammer2: :hammer2: :D :D
I do my best work that way so quit knocking!
:rolleyes: :cool:

mike37
01-16-2005, 05:38 PM
If you have the typical 5'x 8' bathroom
you wont be able to get a one piece tub shower unit in there without tearing some stuff out

spectratoad
01-16-2005, 08:13 PM
I have removed/moved many walls or began a remodel process that way.

spectratoad
01-16-2005, 08:15 PM
If you have the typical 5'x 8' bathroom
you wont be able to get a one piece tub shower unit in there without tearing some stuff out
Yeah that is what I figured. I am just trying to tear out as little as possible. :2purples:

Mandelon
01-16-2005, 09:16 PM
That's right. The one piece units are installed during rough framing, before the drywall goes in. You may have to remove a good section of the drywall to get it to lay in there. A multi-piece unit may be the way to go.
With a multi piece you can avoid opening up the adjacent wall or the floor from below. With a new one piece you may very well need to open up the wall behind it.
Make sure you position the shower head up higher than before. Most of the old ones are at 6' or 6' 6" and are too low to wash your hair without bending over. We put ours up at 7' and it totally clears the fiberglass as well. One less hole you might drill in the wrong place....

rrrr
01-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Make sure you position the shower head up higher than before. Most of the old ones are at 6' or 6' 6" and are too low to wash your hair without bending over. We put ours up at 7' and it totally clears the fiberglass as well. One less hole you might drill in the wrong place....
Yessir, it's nice to have the shower head above your face. I'm 6'2", and I put the head around 7' as you suggested. Works great.

spectratoad
01-17-2005, 05:41 AM
Raising the shower head is my plan. I hate bending over to get under the shower. Must be a bending over in the shower phobia. I usually catch myself holding the soap a little tighter too. :eek:

mike37
01-17-2005, 06:17 AM
Yeah that is what I figured. I am just trying to tear out as little as possible. :2purples:
OK now the bad news even the three piec unit may not fit through your bathroom door even if its a 30" door you only have 29" of clearance
good luck

Mandelon
01-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Most tubs are only 16' high. I found if you carry it in sideways it fits better.... :D ( 3 piece )

canuck1
01-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Chainsaw

spectratoad
01-17-2005, 11:37 AM
OK now the bad news even the three piec unit may not fit through your bathroom door even if its a 30" door you only have 29" of clearance
good luck
You had to go and bring up details like that. :sqeyes: I forgot all about the f'in bathroom door. I just got back from exchanging the one piece for the 3 piece unit. On my way again. :D

mike37
01-22-2005, 09:12 AM
Did you get the tub in yet give us the gory details