PDA

View Full Version : Which is better a Whipple R-980 or a PSI

BigBlockOldsJet
01-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Which is better a Whipple R-980 or a PSI supercharger?
What are the differences between them?

sgdiv7
01-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Whipple don't make that blower anymore. Call Rodger at PSI and ask him, he told me that his blower was more efficient. He love to talk so watch out, lol. his # is 480-820-6511
btw I pick mine up later this week, can't wait its like christmas all over again, lol
Bill

Whipple Charged
01-18-2005, 12:48 AM
We had to versions of the 980, R and A. Both were far superior to the PSI until NHRA put a freeze on supercharger modifications. PSI kept making changes and over time while we followed the rules, with new casing designs, new discharge port and new rotor combo, it produced more boost. The PSI had to turn 125 over vs. ours that ran at 60 over. The higher rpm levels increase parasatic losses and temperature. This wasn't as evident in short rpm burst such as drag racing with methanol fuel. At 3000hp/9000rpm/65lbs of boost, the PSI made approx. 100hp more but took 7lbs of boost more to do it. The A980 made 200lbs of torque more though. We made changes and made another 200hp but it was not made legal by NHRA.
The earlier PSI's were in no comparison to the massive 980. Test showed over a 300hp difference and 400lbs of torque. This is at 50+lbs of boost so lower boost levels will not have as a dramatic effect but at 1300hp, it will be worth approx. 50 hp and more torque at the same boost levels. This is what you would be getting for the marine version, otherwise the SC is over $10,000.
Anything you purchase for marine will not be that supercharger and I guarantee that the 980 is leaps and bounds better than the "marine" version of the PSI. Even our quad 3.3L has proven to be more efficient and produce more power. Ask Sterling and Pfaff.
The 980 will be coming back sometime this year with an aluminum casing vs. the magnesium casing. There are quite a few of the used ones around. Racecrafters and the Sorcerer boat runs them, they make nearly 2000hp on 104 octane.
Thanks,
Dustin

Robbie Racer
01-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Dustin, were those PSI's or your 980's on the Sterling motors that Fountain was running when he set the most recent V-bottom speed record? According to the article those motors made 1500 hp each.

Rock-it man
01-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Dustin, were those PSI's or your 980's on the Sterling motors that Fountain was running when he set the most recent V-bottom speed record? According to the article those motors made 1500 hp each.
OK !!!! Keith what are you thinking ?????????

Robbie Racer
01-18-2005, 02:17 PM
I was just curious. I figured that no expense was spared on motors to set that record but was kind of surprised that they didn't make more than 1500 hp with Big Chief heads, dry sump, screw type supercharger, etc. But, I think they were 557 cu. in. so 2.69 hp per cu. in. still isn't too shabby.

sgdiv7
01-18-2005, 03:34 PM
I am looking at the artical in hot boat and the artical lists it as a psi supercharger.

superdave013
01-18-2005, 04:53 PM
what is the difference between a marine or non marine PSI??

HP350SC
01-18-2005, 05:22 PM
what is the difference between a marine or non marine PSI??
I was wondering the same thing. Can't seem to get any decent results searching for PSI s/c when google searching?

jamessampica
01-18-2005, 06:36 PM
First of all there is no web site for PSI.
Second of all there is no such thing as a marine PSI.There is high speed rotor's and cast iron rotor's.The cases are alittle different but that's it.It takes less HP to run a PSI than any other blower that i have used.If you think this is not so then call ROGER at PSI {480-820-6511}and i'm sure he will be more than happy enough to give you fact's and figure's on them.This is only my opion{SP} since i've race with them and now use them at the river and on the lakes in AZ.LATER!!!!!!!
JIM S

sgdiv7
01-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Hey Jimmy the cast rotors are not iron they are aluminum. The Billet rotors can be overdriven more then the cast rotors. the cast rotors can only be overdriven 125% and I don't the spect on the billet rotors. That blower was way out of my price range, $10,000

jamessampica
01-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Your right i got ahead of myself.Who want's 10,00.00 for there PSI?If they do they are nutt's.They are not made of gold.Go on Dragboats.com and look in the part's area.Dale Ishamira sell's them at a fair price.LATER!!!!
JIM S
P.S.Good luck BILLY!!!!!!!!!!!

jamessampica
01-19-2005, 05:17 PM
He's got one for $6500.00.Look for yourself and give him a call or e-mail him he is fair.
JIM S

Gmoney
01-19-2005, 07:02 PM
does anybody know what it takes to go from a 1471 to a psi or a whipple. If bolted on standard roots blower manifiold is there any distrabution problems or does the blower need to sit in different location than a roots?also is gas distrabution a problem with carbs?

sgdiv7
01-20-2005, 07:09 AM
By what I was told by Rodger @ psi he said that you need to use a bds intake manifold because the floor of the manifold is tented. Guys have tried the flat floor manifold and had problems with burning pistons because fuel dist. problems. he said that with the bds manifold the problems went away.
the blower side of manifold has to be modified because the psi on the bottom is longer. There is a thin plate that goes between the manifold and the blower and it hard to describe how it looks. When I pick up mine later this week I will post photos of it all.
As far as fuel dist. with carbs This is a problem at high rpms and a buddy of mine was going to ad a fuel enrichment circuit to the two ports on the top of the blower because the carbs could not keep up with the fuel demand at high rpms but he sold the boat and motor because he was afraid that if something happend to him his kids would be the ones that would suffer.

BlownNitro540
01-20-2005, 08:56 AM
I heard that it took almost 5 years for PSI to catch up to the level of performance that the Whipple blowers were producing. One of the reasons why is that Whipple stopped making the 980 almost 5 years ago. Maybe Dustin can confirm or add to this information.

Rock-it man
01-20-2005, 05:39 PM
So what is this !!!!!! hehehe !!!! Can't tell ya who's it is though !!!!!

sigepmock
01-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Rock-it-Man is that Rocket of yours running yet? Are you gonna have it in Havasu anytime soon....I'd love to see it run.
Chris

DEL51
01-21-2005, 12:02 AM
Does anybody have the screw size of each compressor for a side by side comparisson.Rocketman, have you determined the cause of the intercoolers previous failure? The fact that the whipple is discontinued, where is the support.I challenge the rocketman to allow, with his permission, The companies to duke it out on his engine. Compensation, of course, goes to the boat owner.See who will step to the plate.

Rock-it man
01-21-2005, 07:22 AM
I will be at Havasu for the Poker Run April 28-30 and back the next weekend May 6-7 for the Eliminator Regatta and will be at the Sactramento Shoot Out July 16-17. Will be staying at Queens Bay Condos.
Never figured out why the innercooler meltdown Whipple had seen it a few times before ,haven't had any trouble since. There is support for the Whipple 980 through Dustin @ Whipple and through Rod @ Racecrafters.
If all works out my be trying to break the 150 mph mark on Thur April 28 or Fri April 29 at Havasu . I have a lot of testing to do yet .

RACER52
01-21-2005, 12:25 PM
RIM- nice, very nice.
is that gonna be injected??

Rock-it man
01-21-2005, 02:19 PM
RIM- nice, very nice.
is that gonna be injected??
You guys are sure a nossy !!! bunch The guy using the 980 says yes it will be injected ( hat) Enderly but i'm not personally saying anything or admitting anything !!!!!!!

Whipple Charged
01-22-2005, 02:32 PM
There are too many PSI's to count. There was a marine PSI, Sterling had purchased quite a few of them, they had hard anodizied aluminum cases vs. the magnesium cases. The rotors were cast aluminum. There are at least 3 different styles of rotors and over 5 different casings through the years, all were changed to try to catch up to the 980. If your purchasing a brand new PSI for less than $10,000 than your not getting one thats comparable to the 9.8 Liter supercharger. To compare over drives, the 980 turned 60% over while the PSI turned 125% over and once again, only the later case and rotor profile prove to be the best on methanol injected alcohol racing.
Sterling and Pfaff have done back to back testing with our 3.3L quad and the quad made nearly 100lbs of torque more and 50HP @ 1550HP, 16lbs of boost. The 980 makes more than the quad. 20lbs of boost will make nearly 1800hp but needs 118 octane with the quad. :supp:
The Fountain had PSI's with our double billet intercooler. They were all of 1500hp, I would estimate about 1600 w/18lbs turning max overdrive. On different engines but with similar packages, the 980 made 2000hp with 27lbs at 52 over and made 1600hp @ 15lbs @ 30 over. I've seen 2400 but that was on a blown gas motor.
There is still support for the 980, there are many of them used for really good buys although Racecrafters has used a lot of them. We will be reproducing these for the marine industry this year. :idea:
I know what I'm talking about, take it for what it's worth, there is no comparison unless you get the latest, drag racing PSI which will flow more air but will create far more heat, not a problem with methanol but a big problem with gasoline. Older PSI's vs. the 980 are simply not in the ball park. The PSI is still far better than any 671-1471 on the market, but not better than the 980. :hammer2:
Thanks,
Dustin :D

Gmoney
01-22-2005, 04:30 PM
whipple charged i have a 1471 with a blower shop intercooler and a littlefield intake mani.with dominators. What would it take to bolt on a 980r with carbs.

Rock-it man
01-23-2005, 10:30 AM
whipple charged i have a 1471 with a blower shop intercooler and a littlefield intake mani.with dominators. What would it take to bolt on a 980r with carbs.
Its not just a bolt on deal ,well maybe if you buy all the parts from Racecrafters but its still a big deal to covert,call Racecrafters ( Rod)