PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help

DCB
01-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Dont know if this will do any good posting this here, but DCB could use a couple of good laminators with experience. If anyone knows someone who is seeking employment please have them contact Carlos

Kilrtoy
01-17-2005, 10:57 AM
What happen to the ones you had... :confused:

DCB
01-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Still have them, but could use a couple more.

Havasu Hangin'
01-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Where do I submit my application?
Is Carlos still wearing women's clothing?
:D

MC ORION
01-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Tell DCB to talk to the ones that Ultra has. They seem to be able to buy Ultra's people behind their back.
It is hard enough to do bussiness and find good people to do your work, But it is really hard to believe that people can be bought especially after you trained them and taught them everything they know to make them the second best in the industry. We still have the best in the bussiness.
Any ways I love this bussiness, but I am never training anybody else to do my job again!!!
There is no loyalty in our line of work, what ever happened to courtesy and professional integrity?

Kilrtoy
01-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Tell DCB to talk to the ones that Ultra has. They seem to be able to buy Ultra's people behind their back.
It is hard enough to do bussiness and find good people to do your work, But it is really hard to believe that people can be bought especially after you trained them and taught them everything they know to make them the second best in the industry. We still have the best in the bussiness.
Any ways I love this bussiness, but I am never training anybody else to do my job again!!!
There is no loyalty in our line of work, what ever happened to courtesy and professional integrity?
ok continue the riddle in english, im a little slow

Jrocket
01-17-2005, 10:35 PM
We still have the best in the bussiness.
Ok I give...who's "We"?

DrewDown
01-17-2005, 10:49 PM
There is no loyalty in our line of work, what ever happened to courtesy and professional integrity?You are obviously the best. Thats why you have to get on here and tell us you are. :rolleyes:

MC ORION
01-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Well, here is the story...
Today i had a talk with my gelcoater which happens to be the same gelcoater for Ultra custom boats. I trained this guy for the last 5 years and showed him all of my techniques and secrets of gelcoat. As most of you know we have been kind of succesfull at keeping our work at the top of the market with some of the best companies out there. Well now he is going to work for DCB.
The only thing that bothers me is that for the last 9 years that I have worked here in San Diego, I was told by Jhon West that there was a gentlemans agreement if you will, between DCB and Ultra that professional courtesy was in order when trying to hire somebody from either DCB or Ultra.
Our gelcoater was approached without so much as a phone call to either Jhon or me.
Jaime is a great gelcoater and he will make DCB an even better company with his gelcoat work. I just think a little (hey we could use some help phone call) would have been nice. I know we can not stop Jaime from leaving and we wish him the best, but the way all of this was done upsets me.
Any way life goes on, and it just means that I will have to go back to gelcoating full time. I am one of those who does not trust just any body with my work. That was the reason I spent so much time teaching and perfecting Jaime's technique.
I just feel like I was stabbed in the back, and my first post was probably just venting because I was soooo upset.
I hope this explains it.
And now that I wrote about it, I feel much better.
Martin

Charley
01-17-2005, 11:11 PM
:idea: no offense Martin but aren't you the same Martin who just tooled a new boat and started his own boat company? Sounds to me like Jaime is doing exactly what you are doing..... the best he can do for Jaime

Bre
01-17-2005, 11:12 PM
Well, here is the story...
Today i had a talk with my gelcoater which happens to be the same gelcoater for Ultra custom boats. I trained this guy for the last 5 years and showed him all of my techniques and secrets of gelcoat. As most of you know we have been kind of succesfull at keeping our work at the top of the market with some of the best companies out there. Well now he is going to work for DCB.
The only thing that bothers me is that for the last 9 years that I have worked here in San Diego, I was told by Jhon West that there was a gentlemans agreement if you will, between DCB and Ultra that professional courtesy was in order when trying to hire somebody from either DCB or Ultra.
Our gelcoater was approached without so much as a phone call to either Jhon or me.
Jaime is a great gelcoater and he will make DCB an even better company with his gelcoat work. I just think a little (hey we could use some help phone call) would have been nice. I know we can not stop Jaime from leaving and we wish him the best, but the way all of this was done upsets me.
Any way life goes on, and it just means that I will have to go back to gelcoating full time. I am one of those who does not trust just any body with my work. That was the reason I spent so much time teaching and perfecting Jaime's technique.
I just feel like I was stabbed in the back, and my first post was probably just venting because I was soooo upset.
I hope this explains it.
And now that I wrote about it, I feel much better.
Martin
Hey I need a job can you teach me how to do it? :D ;)

MC ORION
01-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Don't get me wrong I understand Jaime trying something new and DCB trying to get somebody better for their gelcoat. Just like them I am trying to do something better for me and my family. I just think that there are better ways of doing things.
I was upset all day in part because Jaime was leaving this job, but mostly because I felt that he was approached behind our backs.
Anyways, it is done. so we must move on.
By the way my first post was edited by one of my workers after i posted and he wrote (we still have the best). I have never posted or said to any of you that we are the best, but as our work can show it, we do try hard.
Jaime will be a great addition to the DCB team, he is one of the best in the industry!!!
And Bre,
It would be very hard to teach you anything. Your beauty would distract me.
Martin

Bre
01-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Don't get me wrong I understand Jaime trying something new and DCB trying to get somebody better for their gelcoat. Just like them I am trying to do something better for me and my family. I just think that there are better ways of doing things.
I was upset all day in part because Jaime was leaving this job, but mostly because I felt that he was approached behind our backs.
Anyways, it is done. so we must move on.
By the way my first post was edited by one of my workers after i posted and he wrote (we still have the best). I have never posted or said to any of you that we are the best, but as our work can show it, we do try hard.
Jaime will be a great addition to the DCB team, he is one of the best in the industry!!!
And Bre,
It would be very hard to teach you anything. Your beauty would distract me.
Martin
:cry: :cry:
Guess I will just stay at home :cry:

Charley
01-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Martin... I wish you the best of luck in your new venture.... from what I have seen you should do well ;)

Havasu Hangin'
01-18-2005, 05:13 AM
I don't know the specifics of what you are talking about...but if you want somebody to stay, then how about paying them more?
I mean, if you've already invested training in someone, why not invest ongoing in compensation? Just think of it as the money you would have spent re-training a new person, anyway.
If someone is happy in their job, and their compensation is at a level that won't allow a competitor to come and "steal" them...then they have no reason to leave.

Jordy
01-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Alright, back on track. We never did get an answer. :jawdrop: :D :D :D

Steamin' Rice
01-18-2005, 07:56 AM
I don't know the specifics of what you are talking about...but if you want somebody to stay, then how about paying them more?
I mean, if you've already invested training in someone, why not invest ongoing in compensation? Just think of it as the money you would have spent re-training a new person, anyway.
If someone is happy in their job, and their compensation is at a level that won't allow a competitor to come and "steal" them...then they have no reason to leave.
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing.. :skull:

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-18-2005, 08:51 AM
you took the words right out of my mouth. But I don't think I would have been so nice about it. if you keep your workers happy. they will stay. that's why DCB doesn't go through workers like most people go through underwear. :D

HavaTan
01-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Where do I submit my application?
Women's or "Little Girls" ?

mbrown2
01-18-2005, 09:48 AM
The simple fact that your employee would take the phone call/offer from a competitior would concern me as a manager and would make me take a closer look at the employees that I had left to insure they were appropriately compensated, challenged, receiving training, empowered, balance between work and home, etc...Look at this way, you lost them before DCB called them.
Also, and more important, the last thing I would do would be to go on a public forum and let my current employees know that I would never train anybody else to do my job and basically send them the message that their opportunity for promotion of their own career is gone and they are not to be trusted...at least that is the way I read it.

cola
01-18-2005, 09:58 AM
The simple fact that your employee would take the phone call/offer from a competitior would concern me as a manager and would make me take a closer look at the employees that I had left to insure they were appropriately compensated, challenged, receiving training, empowered, balance between work and home, etc...Look at this way, you lost them before DCB called them.
Also, and more important, the last thing I would do would be to go on a public forum and let my current employees know that I would never train anybody else to do my job and basically send them the message that their opportunity for promotion of their own career is gone and they are not to be trusted...at least that is the way I read it.
I here Pedro is looking for a job. :cool:

MC ORION
01-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Jaime was making more money than any other gelcoater in the industry and he deserves it. He actually took less money from DCB, and the reason is that DCB only makes 30-35 boats a year. At Ultra we Average 125-150 per year.
When Jaime talked to me yesterday he had already taken the job and he was planning on working for both companies. At Ultra we can not have a worker who comes and goes. Our kind of production would not allow it.
And as far as keeping our workers Jaime is the first one in seven years to leave, and I personally had a few DCB workers asked me for work more than once. In any case the reason I was upset was not because he is going, I would have taken a small paycut if I was going to do 1/5 of the work per year just like he did. I don't blame him for making that decision even though a $40,000 dollar pay cut is not something to I would just leave.
One thing that a lot of people don't understand is that down here in San Diego there is shortage of good workers for boat building, so the companies here in town have an unwritten agreement to at least give each other notice if they are considering a worker from each others companies. Jhon West and I are upset not just because Jaime is leaving, but because we feel it was done behind our backs.

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-18-2005, 10:29 AM
well not to keep the ball rolling or take sides. I like Ultra but I love DCB,. I think maybe you said a little to much in your first post and now it will be hard to tred water. good luck to you. :shift:

Havasu Hangin'
01-18-2005, 10:42 AM
One thing that a lot of people don't understand is that down here in San Diego there is shortage of good workers for boat building, so the companies here in town have an unwritten agreement to at least give each other notice if they are considering a worker from each others companies. Jhon West and I are upset not just because Jaime is leaving, but because we feel it was done behind our backs.
The last time I checked, we live in a free-market economy that does not allow slaves. Therefore, the market (and employee's happiness) will dictate whether they stay or go.
Having a "gentlemen's agreement" with your competetor is nice from a PR standpoint, but really doesn't mean anything. Who initiates the contact doesn't really matter...if someone is unhappy (for whatever reason)...they will leave. If you want your employees to stay, get them under contract, or at least try to make them happy.
I've never seen an employee leave because they are making too much money and/or too happy.

Charley
01-18-2005, 10:44 AM
I've never seen an employee leave because they are making too much money and/or too happy.
That sorta sums it up IMHO
Oh and HH .. love yer signature!

unleashed
01-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Well you can look at it this way. Now that you know DCB will hire people from under your noses you can do the same thing to them. ;)
Its a free market society as people have posted and since you pay more maybe you can lure some of there employees over to Ultra! :eek:
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

Havasu Hangin'
01-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Oh and HH .. love yer signature!
Thanks. I guess the first step to recovering from being a "piece of shit", is admitting you are a "piece of shit".
:messedup:

Charley
01-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks. I guess the first step to recovering from being a "piece of shit", is admitting you are a "piece of shit".
Oh lighten up big guy..... you act like the comment came from left field... your comments merited my reaction
:hammerhea

BarryMac
01-18-2005, 12:08 PM
IMO the reason that Martin is upset is because of the way that DCB went about hiring his Former employee, when you have a gentlemens agreement you would hope that the other party(s) involved would honor it and when they don't you become upset, any of us would. IMO Martin had a reason to be upset and his words were out of anger and hurt, maybe they were jumbled because some of us have problems expressing ourselves when all we see is RED, nobody's perfect...
Oh, sorry, this is the ***boat Forums, there are some perfect people on here...

Jrocket
01-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Oh, sorry, this is the ***boat Forums, there are some perfect people on here...
No problem,apology excepted.

Havasu Hangin'
01-18-2005, 01:15 PM
IMO the reason that Martin is upset is because of the way that DCB went about hiring his Former employee, when you have a gentlemens agreement you would hope that the other party(s) involved would honor it and when they don't you become upset, any of us would...
I don't think a gentlemen's agreement matters if the emloyee isn't happy. I have seen instances where employees were so unhappy, that they went out of the industry.
If you are relying on a gentlemen's agreement from a competitor to keep employees, I hope you have an ongoing training program.

BarryMac
01-18-2005, 01:32 PM
I don't think a gentlemen's agreement matters if the emloyee isn't happy. I have seen instances where employees were so unhappy, that they went out of the industry.
If you are relying on a gentlemen's agreement from a competitor to keep employees, I hope you have an ongoing training program.
I do agree with you but, I didn't read anywhere that Jaime was unhappy, if anything he may have been a little tired from helping build 125 - 150 boats a year, maybe in his mind going to DCB is going to be like a mini vacation, he's only going to have to help build 1/4 of what he use to.

Havasu Hangin'
01-18-2005, 01:37 PM
I do agree with you but, I didn't read anywhere that Jaime was unhappy, if anything he may have been a little tired from helping build 125 - 150 boats a year, maybe in his mind going to DCB is going to be like a mini vacation, he's only going to have to help build 1/4 of what he use to.
I'd call that happier.

Jrocket
01-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Sounds like he did the right thing to me,the goal is more money and less work isnt?

BarryMac
01-18-2005, 01:43 PM
I'd call that happier.
Sounds like he did the right thing to me,the goal is more money and less work isnt?
Yeah I suppose, the old saying is "Work Smarter not Harder" right???
I don't disagree with Jaime leaving, he has every right to try and better himself and I hope that the "Grass is Greener on the otehr side", I just have a hard time with going behind someones back, even if it is only a gentlemens aggreement, where are the ethics???
Any Puns that I've left out???
BTW, Havasu Hangin' and JRocket, not trying to start an arguement, just trying to see everyone's point...

RP1
01-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Jaime was making more money than any other gelcoater in the industry and he deserves it. He actually took less money from DCB, and the reason is that DCB only makes 30-35 boats a year. At Ultra we Average 125-150 per year.
When Jaime talked to me yesterday he had already taken the job and he was planning on working for both companies. At Ultra we can not have a worker who comes and goes. Our kind of production would not allow it.
And as far as keeping our workers Jaime is the first one in seven years to leave, and I personally had a few DCB workers asked me for work more than once. In any case the reason I was upset was not because he is going, I would have taken a small paycut if I was going to do 1/5 of the work per year just like he did. I don't blame him for making that decision even though a $40,000 dollar pay cut is not something to I would just leave.
First you come on a public forum and air your complaints toward your ex-employee and a competitor. Then you have the gual to mention wages... sometimes people would rather have more time to enjoy their family instead of spending all their time a work to make that extra $40,000.
I sure would be looking over my shoulder if I worked for you. my.02

BoatFloating
01-18-2005, 01:54 PM
I have seen instances where employees were so unhappy, that they went out of the industry.
So did you read that in a magazine or is that first hand knowledge????? Sounds like a friend of a friend deal to me. Stick to what you know....... Not what you hear. You need to know all facts before you give an opinion....
:yuk:

Havasu Hangin'
01-18-2005, 02:07 PM
So did you read that in a magazine or is that first hand knowledge????? Sounds like a friend of a friend deal to me. Stick to what you know....... Not what you hear. You need to know all facts before you give an opinion....
:yuk:
Actually, that was me.
I went from selling oranges to the Fast Food Industry (French Fry Specialist) because there was less work, and more time to spend with my 13 kids.
However, I did eventually go back (for double the pay, of course). In my industry, jumping companies seems to be the only way to get a decent raise.

BoatFloating
01-18-2005, 02:57 PM
However, I did eventually go back (for double the pay, of course). In my industry, jumping companies seems to be the only way to get a decent raise.
I'm ready your company looking for someone in the San Diego area???

Havasu Hangin'
01-18-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm ready your company looking for someone in the San Diego area???
Sure!
How much do you know about Automotive-based produce sales?
:cool:

Jrocket
01-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Sure!
How much do you know about Automotive-based produce sales?
:cool:
Basically...how fast can you run with two 20lb bags of oranges?

Jrocket
01-18-2005, 03:29 PM
BTW, Havasu Hangin' and JRocket, not trying to start an arguement, just trying to see everyone's point...
Me either,I understand what your saying.