PDA

View Full Version : No shoes or children in boats

ULTRA28
01-17-2005, 11:40 AM
It's that time of year again. Boat show season is here and I would like some input from H.B. members. Every year we put signs in the boats that say " Please, no shoes or children in boats". Some people take offense to this. We don't mean that no kids are allowed in the boats period, just that our boats are not a playground. You have to understand that many of the people that go to these shows don't actually boat, so they don't understand how much damage kids can do to a boat without trying. My question is, do you think the wording on the signs is rude? If so can you think of something else we should put that would get the message accross without insulting people.

JustMVG
01-17-2005, 11:42 AM
That seems to say exactly what you want, no shoes, no kids, short of not letting anyone onboard that should be enough.
MVG

78Eliminator
01-17-2005, 11:43 AM
I would just rephrase it. "Please do not enter boat without assistance". It's a tough one, cause you want people to sit and try out the boat, but at the same time you don't want them to ruin it so you have to sell it for a lot less due to damange.....

Lightning
01-17-2005, 11:43 AM
"Children must be accompanied by an adult"

superdave013
01-17-2005, 11:46 AM
ya gotta get the "F" word in there somehow. lol j/k
I think the sign is just fine.

phebus
01-17-2005, 11:46 AM
From my experience at the shows, most manufacturers put a sign up stating not to board boats without checking with a sales person first. That way you could monitor who and what boards.
Just put up a sign stating to ask before boarding, and the sales person could assure that shoes were removed, and children were not left unattended.
After all, most of the boats at the show were built and paid for by customers prior to the show, so their interests have to be protected.

Unforgiven
01-17-2005, 11:47 AM
It's that time of year again. Boat show season is here and I would like some input from H.B. members. Every year we put signs in the boats that say " Please, no shoes or children in boats". Some people take offense to this. We don't mean that no kids are allowed in the boats period, just that our boats are not a playground. You have to understand that many of the people that go to these shows don't actually boat, so they don't understand how much damage kids can do to a boat without trying. My question is, do you think the wording on the signs is rude? If so can you think of something else we should put that would get the message accross without insulting people.
some kids ain't as bad as some adults...there's places I'd take my kids instead of the "drunk Idiots", I have enough trouble as it is!!! :idea:

phebus
01-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Just post a sign that says "You must purchase me a beer before boarding", and after a while you won't care. :D

BarryMac
01-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Yeap, that way you can kick the parents asses if their brats get out of hand...

Mrs Luvnlife
01-17-2005, 12:01 PM
I think you're fine if you hang a sign that says 'Please ask for assistance before boarding'. I myself would totally understand your concern with kids & the people that don't respect the boat interior (and exterior for that matter).

Keithb87
01-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Just put a sign that reads "IF YOU BREAK IT .... YOU BUY IT !!" :supp:

Kilrtoy
01-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Please do not enter boat without assistance
I agree and put this also,
Hey they dont let you crawl in the high end cars at the car show, so if they want to crawl thru with there kids point them to the bayliners....
No it is not rude. I dont let my kids get in and they get pised, but I respect other peoples stuff....

victorfb
01-17-2005, 12:24 PM
here's a brilliant idea... why not have sales people watching and at the ready to answer any and all questions the customer may have? that way there is someone watching the boats at all times. you have to remember that these possible customers have paid to get in there aswell and it is to the manufacturers benefit that they please the customer. all too often i see unattended showrooms, or maybe one person watching the entire display. now i personally have no problem with the signs that are posted, i think you NEED to protect yourself, but you are putting that burdon on the customer. its your merchandise, you protect it.

mmered8299
01-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Well, if you see RD there, you better put a sign up saying no walking across the deck. :rollside:

XtrmWakeborder
01-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Please do not enter boat without assistance is what the sign should say. Kids are part of the family and boating is usually a family event. I know when I was little I had a little bit of a say in what purchases our family did. Besides kids don't care about price, if a parent is hung up on the price and both the kid and dad really want it the kid could sway him to the puchase. I have done this many times, hey it's not my money! lol

Ziggy
01-17-2005, 12:43 PM
"Ask for assistance" seems like the best way to go IMO.
You should see how many seat covers have to be replaced after a car show :mad: :mad: ...one car show equals about 6-8 years of life counting how many peoples butts got in and out of any one particular car :2purples:

Bre
01-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Just post a sign that says "You must purchase me a beer before boarding", and after a while you won't care. :D
LMAO

Rexone
01-17-2005, 12:50 PM
here's a brilliant idea... why not have sales people watching and at the ready to answer any and all questions the customer may have? that way there is someone watching the boats at all times. you have to remember that these possible customers have paid to get in there aswell and it is to the manufacturers benefit that they please the customer. all too often i see unattended showrooms, or maybe one person watching the entire display. now i personally have no problem with the signs that are posted, i think you NEED to protect yourself, but you are putting that burdon on the customer. its your merchandise, you protect it.
In a perfect world maybe. Unfortunately no one can staff enough people to cover every customer in the booth at peak times (when problems ususally happen). I've seen Johns booth at peak times, it's packed.
I like the ask for assistance approach. But that's assuming the people can read english. Perhaps a multi-lingual sign... :(

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Well....
I see it a few thousand times at each show.....
Parents who just don't watch their kid...or kid's....or their crap-load of kid's... with sodas, cotton candy, hot dogs w/xtra mustard....oh..and it's great when they pee.... :rolleyes:
I take my kid's to the show....My son loves looking inside all the boats.
But he doesn't get on until I'm with him.....
But "NO" shoes...like it say's and keep your eye's on the kids...
Too many kid's eat-shit while getting in/out of the boats unsupervised... :cry:
It's aboat mfg's nightmare.....
Also....Wearing your black Sketcher boots to the show.....not a great idea.
How about flip flops or sandal's ?? off & on...there ya' go.... :idea:
Oh....and please don't ask if "I can just climb in for a second without taking my shoes off"....cause, someone owens that boat, or will shortly, and I wouldn't climb into your boat with my shoes on....
Treat the boat's like you own them.....
Also, you wouldn't believe what people steal off the show boats....
Stereo face plates, cushons, cig lighter map light's, gas cap's anything & everything that's not bolted down.... :mad:
Most of the stuff is removed before the show, but some get's left on by accident....
Ahhhhhhhh.....You gotta' love it !!!!!.......I DO !!!!!!
See Ya' at the SHOW !!!!
Later,
CJG
:cool:

1978 Rogers
01-17-2005, 01:20 PM
ya gotta get the "F" word in there somehow. lol j/k
I think the sign is just fine.
Yep. Like he said. If your too PC, parents that let there kid run loose and won't get the message. Those people will think it's rude not matter what you do.
"Mam, could you please keep an eye on your kid while he's on my boat" "How Rude"
Just tell them, it's not a playground and it's not your job to baby sit.

ROZ
01-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Please do not enter boat without assistance
I agree and put this also,
Hey they dont let you crawl in the high end cars at the car show, so if they want to crawl thru with there kids point them to the bayliners....
No it is not rude. I dont let my kids get in and they get pised, but I respect other peoples stuff....
I also think this is best. Boating is a family event... Please do not enter boat without assistance, gives your assosciate time to brief them on your rules while aboard the boat; Namely no shoes, and that the boat is not a jungle gym and to please keep your children under control.

DUNDUN
01-17-2005, 01:44 PM
"Children must be accompanied by an adult" Be careful with that cause there are alot of parents that dont know wtf they are doing their own selves, which most of you have already covered.

Debbolas
01-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Our boat was a boat show special...so they had it at the show with these signs saying "Please do not board the boats". We could get into the boat, because we bought it, it was ours. Still as we were leaving some guy went into my boat with his shoes on! Shannon got him :D
Just take off your shoes, it's common courtesy. Like when you walk across decks and engine covers at a cove, you don't have your shoes on..... :hammer2:

Havasu Hangin'
01-17-2005, 02:02 PM
What about really big kids (that never grew up)?
:D

INSman
01-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Maybe what people also need to be reminded of is that some of these boats already have owners other than the MFG. and if it were their boat on display, they wouldn't want people crawling all over it and disrespecting the property of others !! :argue:

bchbum
01-17-2005, 02:10 PM
We bought our boat 2 weeks before the 2002 show , it was in the show .While I was there a lady was looking at it with a hot fudge sundae in hand in the boat .I asked her to please get out of my boat with it . I had to explan to her I already owned the boat & just get out .

Debbolas
01-17-2005, 02:13 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566Matt_I_and_our_new_baby-med.jpg
This is our baby at the show................. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566my_kids-med.jpg
Our kids (actually not fighting I love this pic) in front of our new baby at the boat show................ :wink:

XtrmWakeborder
01-17-2005, 02:26 PM
We bought our boat 2 weeks before the 2002 show , it was in the show .While I was there a lady was looking at it with a hot fudge sundae in hand in the boat .I asked her to please get out of my boat with it . I had to explan to her I already owned the boat & just get out .
OMG I would have went crazy, seriously some people should just not breed.

Screaming Pete
01-17-2005, 02:28 PM
If your mom or dad owns a Hot Boat the kids are river savvy, they must be from the jet ski and tupperwere crowd. JW if my kids are not acting right in one of your boats just smack em :cry:

phebus
01-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Maybe we should look at this from the other side.
What is the cost for a space to display at the show? Now, what is the cost of upholstery?
For the most bang for your buck, it might be worth it to let anyone and everyone romp through your boats, and fix what is necessary after the show.
For the cost of space at the show, I would think max exposure would work to your advantage vs. the comparitively low cost of possible repairs.
I know the show is big dollars!!!

ECeptor
01-17-2005, 03:43 PM
I dont let my kids get in and they get pised, but I respect other peoples stuff....
Well said!
I think this is the key point everyone who doesn't like the rule is missing - it's not a playground for kids, it's a boat show! And tons of traffic on a high dollar boat could cost major $$$ to the boat owner!
Wayyyy too many parents today immediately get pissed if their kids get pissed. I call it the "my kid is always right" syndrome...

Tom Brown
01-17-2005, 03:47 PM
You need one of those, "Must be at least this tall _____ to enter this ride" signs.
Of course, then you're cutting out potential midget customers.
Perhaps something to keep in mind here is that the general public sucks. This will not change. Whatever you do will meet with some opposition.

SHOTKALLIN
01-17-2005, 03:47 PM
LOL not all parents classify as ADULT.

Debbolas
01-17-2005, 04:23 PM
What is the cost for a space to display at the show? Now, what is the cost of upholstery?
For the most bang for your buck, it might be worth it to let anyone and everyone romp through your boats, and fix what is necessary after the show.
For the cost of space at the show, I would think max exposure would work to your advantage vs. the comparitively low cost of possible repairs.
Unless it is your boat.....then it sucks,people need to read signs and have common sense. The key would be enough employees to watch the boats.
I know I watched my boat, hated to leave it..... :frown:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Remember Deb......Common sence is all but gone.....
Most of the people who don't show respect are non boat owners....
They just wish-shop at each show.....every year....after year....after year...
We have as much as 10 people in the Advantage booth at one time.....Still not enough to watch everyone.....
CJG

SHOTKALLIN
01-17-2005, 05:59 PM
I think it could be a turn off to a potential buyer if a dealer came across as rude. Some people think thier kids do no wrong and might get offended if a dealer came across as rude even if they wern't trying to be rude. This might cause a potential sale to go to another company. How much does upolstry cost to replace when you own the company and your upolstry guy is paid by the hour? I think if you are selling family oriented custom boats then you should expect children in your boats. If you are selling $200+ boats then its another story.

superdave013
01-17-2005, 06:35 PM
It must be tough to take some nice stuff like that to a big show like that.
Sure we know to take off our shoes and watch our kids.
But what about the boat owners that have dried up fish worms (and other bait) all over their rig? Heck, those guys tie off to the dock and don't even know what a boat bumper is. No way would you get in that guys rig barefoot because it's so nasty.
We think it's gross but to them it's just normal boating (or lifestyle). Do you think those slobs are gonna take off shoes or watch their kids?
The only thing that's 100% is that they won't buying anything. Well, maybe some Blueblockers.

Norseman
01-17-2005, 06:47 PM
I'd go with a sign that says;
Please do not enter boat without assistance!
Please remove shoes before boarding!
Of course I always wear cowboy boats, and car and boat salesman love it!! :hammer2:
I don't usually wear spurs to the boat show though..... :frown:

shadow
01-17-2005, 06:48 PM
John I'd say no Shoes,food or drinks,Board boat only with a salesperson.
If your dirty rotten little rugrats can't treat ours and customers boats with respect."Burn Rubber"
Anyone in the market for a boat should have atleast some boat sense about them. If they don't like it so what you loose a sale.
The kids probablly would have screwed up the boat anyway and they'd come back and blame you.

OutCole'd
01-17-2005, 06:49 PM
You need one of those, "Must be at least this tall _____ to enter this ride" signs.
Of course, then you're cutting out potential midget customers.
Perhaps something to keep in mind here is that the general public sucks. This will not change. Whatever you do will meet with some opposition.
Tom, we prefer to be called little people.

Debbolas
01-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Tom, we prefer to be called little people.
Don't talk about Havasu Hanging like THAT!! :boxingguy
lol :idea:

XtrmWakeborder
01-17-2005, 07:00 PM
I've got to say that i have been guilty of going to boat shows and not taking off my shoes before boarding the boats. Now on my boat, my dad never made people take off their shoes or anything, and now that its mine i do the same. If they track in sand or put marks on the seats i clean it up later. Only after being on ***boat have i learned that it is correct boating etiquitte "sp" to take off your shoes. I've been boating all my 20 years and didn't know, maybe these people don't know either. As far as eating, drinking, putting your grubby hands on everything in the boat thats just common sense. What other things are part of boating etiquitte?
Thanks guys

Debbolas
01-17-2005, 07:07 PM
I've gotten quite good at climbing into our bow (with my shoes on) and my shoes never touch the seats :D While we are trailering........when we are beached I go for the jump up and flop in like a whale move ;)

shadow
01-17-2005, 07:07 PM
What other things are part of boating etiquitte?
Thanks guys
I'd have to say next to climbing into someones boat with sandy feet,especially on fiberglass.
Smoking in someones boat,I'm a smoker and even if the owner smokes and says it's ok i wont smoke in thier boat.Go sit on the swim step.Although i do smoke in my boat.If i screw something up it's mine and noone to blame but me.

jbtrailerjim
01-17-2005, 07:14 PM
I dont let my kids get in and they get pised, but I respect other peoples stuff....
That is exactly what I do. I don't understand why some people want to let there kids crawl over boats, at the show. Especially the high end boats.
John, I think just have a sign that says something like "Please ask for assistance from a salesperson before boarding" is good. If people don't understand the fact that you don't want there kids on your boats, to bad. I'm sure most people will understand.

JustMVG
01-17-2005, 07:21 PM
I got angry with my three at the boat show a few years ago, the little ones thought all the deck boats were just floating playgrounds, i put a stop to that, now they will ask if it's ok and if not they walk on by, i ask them to treat any boat as if it was their own, and would they like it if someone just ran all over or dropped food or soda all over it, they always say no , 'cause they know at home they have to clean it up, after a few trips and them putting mud sand and food bits all over the boat, they have wised up and realize that the cleaner it stays the less they have to deal with when they get home. Now if i could just get them to think about their rooms like that!!!!
MVG

ULTRA28
01-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Remember Deb......Common sence is all but gone.....
Most of the people who don't show respect are non boat owners....
They just wish-shop at each show.....every year....after year....after year...
We have as much as 10 people in the Advantage booth at one time.....Still not enough to watch everyone.....
CJG
Exactly, we have plenty of sales people in the booth to answer questions, but sometimes a group of kids will come running into the booth and jump right into a boat. It's not just the interior that gets hammered, they scratch the gel coat, which is not easy or cheap to fix no matter who you are. They steal anything that's not bolted down like you said earlier. Most kids that act this way are not with parents that are at all serious about buying a boat. It truely amazes me the lack of respect a lot of kids have now days. Sometimes I feel like making signs like the ones at West Coast Choppers that say "Don't Fu-kin touch!" or "keep the fu-k off", but I do want to stay in business, so that won't work and it's not really the way I feel about 99% of the people at the show. Anybody that is serious about a custom boat understands how to treat them, so I think I'll make a few different versions of the signs to have and see how the are recieved the first weekend. I appreciate all the input. Thanks again.

ULTRA28
01-17-2005, 08:06 PM
A sign like that would prohibit me from boarding my own boats. :D

a catered life
01-17-2005, 10:41 PM
I think you're fine if you hang a sign that says 'Please ask for assistance before boarding'. I myself would totally understand your concern with kids & the people that don't respect the boat interior (and exterior for that matter).
i agree

AirtimeLavey
01-17-2005, 11:32 PM
I think "Please ask for assistance before boarding. Please no shoes, food or drink while on board", is direct but non-offensive.
If you mention "please see salesperson... " in any of it, they may pass up the opportunity to check out the boat closer for fear of the SALESPERSON and the perception of pressure that may follow.
Btw, I'm a salesperson. :D

locogringo
01-17-2005, 11:33 PM
I disagree. You have to remember that there are many people there who cannot afford these boats in their present condition. Why do you think that the high end cars at auto shows are locked and off limits. For the same reason. The "general" cars are free for all to get in (and they do) and they get trashed. People forget that a matter of respect is important. I still wouldn't enter a boat without a slesperson's consent unless it had neon signs and a sexy-hot model waiting for me in the cabin. Then, i would probably start up a conversation and remove my shoes and then do some interior damage. But I would still show respect and clean up after myself. ;)

JustMVG
01-17-2005, 11:34 PM
A sign like that would prohibit me from boarding my own boats. :D
Now that THERE is Funny, good one John