PDA

View Full Version : How would you handle this situation?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-17-2005, 03:13 PM
A friend of mine just called me and told me her 12-yr old daughter just busted her and found her stash of wacky tobacky! Now, the 12 yr old didn't take it or try it or anything, she is just crushed to discover her mom, in her eyes, is a junky and that she doesn't like her or trust her anymore. :argue:
How can ya dig your way out of that one? :hammerhea

Tremor Therapy
01-17-2005, 03:19 PM
That is extra sticky.....but once she had kids she should have quit! Because now her talk the talk, walk the walk parent stuff is just that......bullshit!
But as a positive, maybe she can illicit her daughters help in trying to rid herself of this habit? Sitting with her daughter, talking it out, and involving her in "the plan" to clean up her act, might make the daughter feel as if she is taking a responsible role in helping with family matters. It may even help to bring them closer, and be able to discuss this types of tricky things a lot easier in the future! :idea:

jdogginla
01-17-2005, 03:19 PM
When I was about that age..........I found my mom's stash, took a lil and sold it at school. I never smoked it, and never have, but I remember get'n in trouble for it..........her demanding where I got it from, her saying how wrong it was!!@$ I said go check your box in the closet you hypocrite. Then she started telling me that it was for adults, and if used and not abused it was ok.........LOL :hammerhea

SoCalOffshore
01-17-2005, 03:20 PM
I think parents need to set a higher standard.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-17-2005, 03:21 PM
But as a positive, maybe she can illicit her daughters help in trying to rid herself of this habit? Sitting with her daughter, talking it out, and involving her in "the plan" to clean up her act, might make the daughter feel as if she is taking a responsible role in helping with family matters. It may even help to bring them closer, and be able to discuss this types of tricky things a lot easier in the future! :idea:
that was exactly my advice too. Get her daughter involved is her "recovery" so to speak.
Man, what a drag. Especially since a 12 yr old is on the verge of hitting the terrible teens. The mom is hoping she doesn't use this as ammo.

HOOTER SLED-
01-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Time for hits from the bong!! :rollside:

FMluvswater
01-17-2005, 03:25 PM
My mom never hid her habit from me. I knew the rules: what goes on at home stays at home. I feel bad for the daughter. Disillusionment hurts. Guess the mom has a choice to make: either quit smoking the stuff or don't even bother with apologies, justifications etc she won't be taken seriously anyway. The daughter will have to adjust to the new knowledge she has either way. :(

Kim Hanson
01-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Mary Jane isn't that strong of a drug either, I quit when the girls came into play and don't miss it at all..............( . )( . )........It's me crutch and don't take it away, I walk with a slit limp now but its worth it's worth it to bring them up in a drug free enviroment. :chi:

Tom Brown
01-17-2005, 03:33 PM
That's a tough dig since there's no honest way to handle it that doesn't involve admitting drug use to the child.
Personally, I'd be honest. I think lying to a family member is pretty low and the 12 year olds I know are way more perceptive than most give them credit for. We love our kids regardless of their flaws. Maybe your friend should trust her child to keep loving her, flaws and all.

ECeptor
01-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Ditto!

SHOTKALLIN
01-17-2005, 03:44 PM
How can you expect your kids to not do dope if you do it yourself? At least your friend doesn't want her daughter to do drugs. There are alot of parents(idiots) out there that have the legalize it attitude and they tell thier teens its ok, just smoke it at home though. :confused: WTF
Then they justify it by saying "at least my kid aint out in the streets or I use and I turned out ok." :confused:

Screaming Pete
01-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Tell her it's a momento of days gone by back when she was a hippie and learned her lesson and never looked back. and don't

Parker Dreamin
01-17-2005, 03:46 PM
I found my parents stach at 12 years of age too.... I never said a word to them about it to. I did not want to get in trouble for snooping around. I knew my folks did not have a problem with it.. I turned out just fine, smoke a little here and there with friends.... and to this day my folks and I can joke about it. Now I have kids and would not let them find anything around, dont want to be put in that sits.....

Havasu_Dreamin
01-17-2005, 03:47 PM
On my sopabox, but she shouldn't have been smoking that stuff to begin with. :yuk:

Liberator TJ1984
01-17-2005, 04:11 PM
On my sopabox, but she shouldn't have been smoking that stuff to begin with. :yuk:
Thats one reason why my EX is my EX !!!! Grow the F'k up and drop the Drugs :burningm:

Jbb
01-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Keep in mind ...If that info gets to the wrong person....she will be explaining it to a judge...and trying to earn back the right to keep her children...People need to make a concious decision to not tell their kids one thing ...and then do something else...It will always come back to bite them in the ass...

Tom Brown
01-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Hey Brian, let's hook up and do some heroin again. :cool:

ratso
01-17-2005, 04:21 PM
Keep in mind ...If that info gets to the wrong person....she will be explaining it to a judge...and trying to earn back the right to keep her children...People need to make a concious decision to not tell their kids one thing ...and then do something else...It will always come back to bite them in the ass...
I like that GTO JBB. My uncle had a 66 389 3 deuce setup along with the wheels and some upgrades. He got hit head on one night by a truck and was in the hospital 3 months...had his last rites read to him three times, but the son of a bitch was too mean to die. Anyway, bottom line, that was one bad ass car...

ratso
01-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Isn't crystal meth cheaper?

mickeyfinn
01-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Sounds to me like an opportunity :D The kid probably knows people that can get better quality for less money. Sounds like the parent just found a way to save some cash!!....
Seriously though,
I have wondered myself how I will react if I found out my kids are smoking a little weed. I gave it up years ago because of family and the job. But I did love smoking and didn't ever have a problem with it. Would still be a Head if I couldn't get fired or go to jail. Don't know how I will react. If I jump in their chit I will feel like a hippocrite. If I don't I will feel like I am encouraging it....Damn...just hope they are smart enough to hide it well.

Jbb
01-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Do you really want to go there again Tom....what with you running thru the streets in womens clothing with your machine gun... shooting in the air and screaming ...The answer to the worlds problems is more bran.....and you bastards are gonna listen this time......I'll pass.... :)

Kilrtoy
01-17-2005, 04:28 PM
First off she need to QUIT.
She has been telling her daughter that she needs to listen to teachers and at school they preach drugs are for losers and the cops come to schools and teach this. No she caught her mom and she thinks her mom is a loser.
With that said for the love and well being of her daughter she NEEDS TO QUIT

Jbb
01-17-2005, 04:29 PM
I like that GTO JBB. My uncle had a 66 389 3 deuce setup along with the wheels and some upgrades. He got hit head on one night by a truck and was in the hospital 3 months...had his last rites read to him three times, but the son of a bitch was too mean to die. Anyway, bottom line, that was one bad ass car...
I used to work on my neighbors 66 3 duece setup......and was looking down the carb throats when it coughed .....lol...and left me with no eyebrows or eyelashes ....and a nice tan ...for a while... :rollside:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Amen !!
:cool:

Sherpa
01-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Ditto!
3rd that statement............
--Sherpa

Blacksheep
01-17-2005, 04:37 PM
I second this one!!!

VEGASBABY
01-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Bottom line is your the parent, and as the parent there are things you have the right to do at your discretion! In any event you should always explain that responsibility is the key in how you handle everything from driving to drinking alcohal to an occasional hit of mary jane! And as a parent you have a right to do certain things as an adult! You get drunk every now and then,does that mean that your kid is allowed to do the same thing? No! When they become responsible adults they to will earn the right to do what they want when they are responsible enough to do so!

boater72
01-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by SoCalOffshore
We have too!

Tremor Therapy
01-17-2005, 04:57 PM
In a perfect world....you are right, as an adult you have every right to do what you want, and your kid will see you as the biggest hypocrit in the world!
All of your b.s. about don't drink and drive, don't get involved in drugs....etc, is just that B.S. As a parent you need to set an example, a standard for your kids to look up to! Because if you won't, then they will get their examples on the streets.....from the other 12 year olds whose parents don't care enough to put aside their selfish pleasures for a few years to insure their kids get the best!

Flyinbowtie
01-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Lots of good advice here, and I agree with most of it.
I'd let mom know that a confrontation is coming, and then tell the girl to fire away, within reason...
The child has a right to expect her mother to be setting a standard for her.
The mother has a responsibility to fess up to her smokin' and quit. She needs to be up front with the young lady and show what an adult can do when confronted with a problem.
Mom has a great opportunity here to demonstrate to her daughter one of the great lessons of life.

XtrmWakeborder
01-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Wow never heard it from the other side... She better hope that she has done a better job of parenting outside of this, so her daughter won't start to begin with. If she does, this WILL be ammo. My question is if she does it and obviously thinks its ok, why is it not ok for her daughter to do it? I know the obvious reasons, but from her point of view.

JustMVG
01-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Well helping mom with her rehab is a good thing and can teach the child how hard it is to quit after using for so long, denying that she uses/used is sending the wrong message, and if mom says it's just pot, well that too sends the wrong message, the rehab thing, if mom sticks to it would be my choice. And yes if the school or some other nosy agency chimes in mom's gonna pay for it, as simple and easy as this is to fix, the wrong person will screw this up for all of them. Good Luck, Linda you did right asking us.
Mike VG

VEGASBABY
01-17-2005, 05:26 PM
In a perfect world....you are right, as an adult you have every right to do what you want, and your kid will see you as the biggest hypocrit in the world!
All of your b.s. about don't drink and drive, don't get involved in drugs....etc, is just that B.S. As a parent you need to set an example, a standard for your kids to look up to! Because if you won't, then they will get their examples on the streets.....from the other 12 year olds whose parents don't care enough to put aside their selfish pleasures for a few years to insure their kids get the best!You are right in some respects, but dont me tell me your this perfect person that does not do other things that may be you dont want your kids to now about or may not want them to do just because you do! Thats bulls**t, If your gonna set a standard you better be perfectly clean pal! On top of that parenting is about teaching, just because you can swim does not mean you kid can also! Like everything else they need to be taught, then when ready thay can be tossed in the water!

hot_diggity_dog
01-17-2005, 05:39 PM
:cool: First off she need to QUIT.
She has been telling her daughter that she needs to listen to teachers and at school they preach drugs are for losers and the cops come to schools and teach this. No she caught her mom and she thinks her mom is a loser.
With that said for the love and well being of her daughter she NEEDS TO QUIT
This would be step one! ;)
Now back to the problem. :rolleyes: Don't lie, Two or Three more wrongs won't make the problem go away. ;)
Mom needs to be upfront with the Daughter and together they could learn from the situation. :D
HDD :cool:

bordsmnj
01-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, i will pass it all along.
Mrs. Bordsmnj

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-17-2005, 06:23 PM
And as a parent you have a right to do certain things as an adult! You get drunk every now and then,does that mean that your kid is allowed to do the same thing? No! When they become responsible adults they to will earn the right to do what they want when they are responsible enough to do so!
You know, I have to disagree here. Are you going to tell your kid, "When you're a responsible adult, it's okay to break the law?" I understand that you think that smoking pot is no worse than getting drunk, since you compared them, but the fact is, it's still illegal. Not to say I've never done anything illegal, but I sure as hell would never tell my kids that "When you're an adult, it's okay to break laws you don't agree with."
To answer the question, "How would you deal with this?" I would apologize to my kid, admit that it is wrong and quit. Then I'd drink beer to get stoned from now on.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_4_16.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm39696US') . . . or Boone's Farm. . .

OutCole'd
01-17-2005, 06:34 PM
So what are you guys telling me? I need to burn my stash before the kids find it?? :D

Norseman
01-17-2005, 06:48 PM
A friend of mine just called me and told me her 12-yr old daughter just busted her and found her stash of wacky tobacky! Now, the 12 yr old didn't take it or try it or anything, she is just crushed to discover her mom, in her eyes, is a junky and that she doesn't like her or trust her anymore. :argue:
You can't dig your way out of it.
She needs to sit down with the daughter and tell her she is getting help to stop, AND MEAN IT!!

VEGASBABY
01-17-2005, 09:00 PM
You know, I have to disagree here. Are you going to tell your kid, "When you're a responsible adult, it's okay to break the law?" I understand that you think that smoking pot is no worse than getting drunk, since you compared them, but the fact is, it's still illegal. Not to say I've never done anything illegal, but I sure as hell would never tell my kids that "When you're an adult, it's okay to break laws you don't agree with."
To answer the question, "How would you deal with this?" I would apologize to my kid, admit that it is wrong and quit. Then I'd drink beer to get stoned from now on.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_4_16.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm39696US') . . . or Boone's Farm. . .What Im trying to say is when your an adult the decisions you make, you make as an adult, right or wrong! I wish we could all say that we are perfect parents but were not! How many times have your teens said" well you did it too" And again lets not bring the law in here as a means to fix the problem! Drinking and boating is illegal to and Im sure we will all be doing that this summer, but that doesnt mean your gonna give your kid the keys to your boat and a couple of cases of beer are you ?

Kilrtoy
01-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Drinking and boating is illegal to and Im sure we will all be doing that this summer, but that doesnt mean your gonna give your kid the keys to your boat and a couple of cases of beer are you ?
No it is not, driving impaired and boating is illegal, drinking and boating is not.....

Performance 19
01-17-2005, 09:52 PM
That's a real tough one, especially without knowing the family dynamics, how close the 2 are, etc. She might think about call teen-anon. Like alaanon or ala teen, but for all substance abuse.. Just thinking a couselor there may have encountered this type of situation before and have some recomendations. NOT saying this person has a problem and needs a program! But as mentioned before, this is a parent, and kids that age tend to believe if it's okay for Mom, it's certainly okay for them. The whole thing is sadly just WRONG. Good luck to them both.
By the way, I DO NOT drink and boat. After the day is over, that's another story!!!

Jrocket
01-17-2005, 10:24 PM
She needs to sit down with the daughter and tell her she is getting help to stop, AND MEAN IT!!
And prove it by showing her step by step that she is doing what she says she will or a kid could very well lose faith or trust in the parent.

Trigger
01-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Bottom line is your the parent, and as the parent there are things you have the right to do at your discretion! In any event you should always explain that responsibility is the key in how you handle everything from driving to drinking alcohal to an occasional hit of mary jane! And as a parent you have a right to do certain things as an adult! You get drunk every now and then,does that mean that your kid is allowed to do the same thing? No! When they become responsible adults they to will earn the right to do what they want when they are responsible enough to do so!
Alcohol is legal, pot isn't. Very intelligent post. Being I am an adult and can now make my own decisions, does that mean I have the right to beat the crap out of you? According to your post it is ok because I am an adult and it doesn't matter that it would be illegal to do so. The parent should be having to go to court to try and get the child back which should be taken away due to her stupidity. Monkey see, Monkey do. The parent has lost all credibility with the child and hopefully this will not make the child do something that can ruin his/her future.
I am glad I didn't have this stupid parent as one of my own growing up.

slowinhavasuskid
01-18-2005, 09:58 AM
No matter what, what she has done is wrong. She should do as alot of you say apologize and quit. Bottom Line, no matter what she tells her daughter now is never going to help that child. She is going to have this held over her head for a long time. This child is only twelve. If I would have found out at that age my mom or dad were pot heads I would have been devistated and then prob. would have rebeled and gotten ahold of some myself. So This mother in the end has to do what is best for her and her child no matter what anyone says or suggests. It may come back to bite her in the a$$ but lets all hope it doesn't.

Tremor Therapy
01-18-2005, 10:03 AM
You are right in some respects, but dont me tell me your this perfect person that does not do other things that may be you dont want your kids to now about or may not want them to do just because you do! Thats bulls**t, If your gonna set a standard you better be perfectly clean pal! On top of that parenting is about teaching, just because you can swim does not mean you kid can also! Like everything else they need to be taught, then when ready thay can be tossed in the water!
By the way Pal, I try to set the highest standard I can for my kids. I gave up drugs and partying long ago. When my wife and I decided to have a family, I understood I had greater responsibilities than hiding my stash, or insuring I was sober around my family! Am I a perfect parent....sh*t, not even close. Do I like to have a few beers with my friends....absolutely!
But where my "FAMILY" is involved, when it comes to drugs, the abuse of alcohol, or putting yourself in questionable situations, I know I am making the best decision for my family. Not only do I ALWAYS try to think of my family first, but I have to watch out for the "other" adults who may not make the same decisions.
Now, I am not a premadonna, when we sit down at the dinner table I do have a beer or two, and my wife will have a glass of wine. When we are out on the lake, I have a couple of beers during the day. But I will not, and do not over indulge in any of it. I have made many parental mistakes, and will inevitably make many more. But I try to learn from them, and try not to make them again. That my friend shows my kids that not only do I teach them temperance and moderation, but I personally believe it, and I walk the walk. I take pride in being my kids role model, but like all parents, I do hope that both of them can become a better person than I.

Blown509Liberator
01-18-2005, 10:05 AM
I just read the first post and a few after that. I think the best way to clear it up in her kids eye would be to get in to rehab. Show kids they are there life on track.

THOR
01-18-2005, 10:14 AM
I cant agree more.

Her454
01-18-2005, 10:24 AM
I agree with Higher standards but now that the damage has been done honesty is the only way to repair it period.
Practice what you preach or you reap what you sow. Im glad the only thing I have to worry about is my kids addiction to Jelllllllo. :)

Unforgiven
01-18-2005, 10:40 AM
I agree with Higher standards but now that the damage has been done honesty is the only way to repair it period.
Practice what you preach or you reap what you sow. Im glad the only thing I have to worry about is my kids addiction to Jelllllllo. :)
jello for a child is not bad..it's the jello shots you forced on us that are bad...(actually they were real good)

Seadog
01-18-2005, 10:42 AM
If she did not at some level think it was wrong, she would not hide it from her children. She needs to tell the child that her shame is part of the reason that adults warn her so much about the risks. Even though there are those who say pot is not addictive, they lie. It is as addictive as cigarettes, booze and any other crutch. She should tell her child that she is an addict, but that with help, she can break the habit. If there is anything that has gone wrong and can be demonstrated as being a fault of indulgence (divorce, pregnacy, job loss, etc.), it needs to be brought out.
Many a good person and many more losers have never lived a full life because they cannot get over partying as a way of life. Figure out the cost of the pot and the booze over the past twelve years and see what that could have bought the family. I have seen numerous situations where it has screwed up several generations. One employee used to say there was nothing wrong with pot until his son got kicked out of the military and couldn't get through college because he wouldn't give up his habit. Now he is like his dad, bouncing from job to job, with a screwed up personal life.

VEGASBABY
01-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Alcohol is legal, pot isn't. Very intelligent post. Being I am an adult and can now make my own decisions, does that mean I have the right to beat the crap out of you? According to your post it is ok because I am an adult and it doesn't matter that it would be illegal to do so. The parent should be having to go to court to try and get the child back which should be taken away due to her stupidity. Monkey see, Monkey do. The parent has lost all credibility with the child and hopefully this will not make the child do something that can ruin his/her future.
I am glad I didn't have this stupid parent as one of my own growing up.You have missed the point! No one is condoning what took place! And trying to explain this online is difficult! And yes you can as an adult try to beat the crap out of me and it is your right as an adult to try and do so! I have to teenage kids who are honer students and have never had problems with dumb parents! They learned early on, that as an adult my wife and I have certain previlages if you will! I agree with the rehab and the discontinuing of the drug! but as imperfect people this may not be the only time a parent may fail there child! And you would hope that your child would understand that if taught that! Anyways Its my opinion! do what you will with yours and do mine! See you at the lake someday were you can beat the crap out of me and show your kid just how stupid dad is! :hammerhea

VEGASBABY
01-18-2005, 12:44 PM
By the way Pal, I try to set the highest standard I can for my kids. I gave up drugs and partying long ago. When my wife and I decided to have a family, I understood I had greater responsibilities than hiding my stash, or insuring I was sober around my family! Am I a perfect parent....sh*t, not even close. Do I like to have a few beers with my friends....absolutely!
But where my "FAMILY" is involved, when it comes to drugs, the abuse of alcohol, or putting yourself in questionable situations, I know I am making the best decision for my family. Not only do I ALWAYS try to think of my family first, but I have to watch out for the "other" adults who may not make the same decisions.
Now, I am not a premadonna, when we sit down at the dinner table I do have a beer or two, and my wife will have a glass of wine. When we are out on the lake, I have a couple of beers during the day. But I will not, and do not over indulge in any of it. I have made many parental mistakes, and will inevitably make many more. But I try to learn from them, and try not to make them again. That my friend shows my kids that not only do I teach them temperance and moderation, but I personally believe it, and I walk the walk. I take pride in being my kids role model, but like all parents, I do hope that both of them can become a better person than I.Thank you! I to feel the same way and my kids to realize that im not perfect but trying! And maybe if the people in question above had the same understanding with there child as we do, this topic would not be here. So what your showing your kids then is what i was trying to say before, You as adult will make a mistake right or wrong and hopfully learn from it, but that doesnt mean you you will let your kid experiment at his or her own risk, correct? By the way nice pics of your wife in the boobs thread!

Tremor Therapy
01-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Thank you! I to feel the same way and my kids to realize that im not perfect but trying! And maybe if the people in question above had the same understanding with there child as we do, this topic would not be here. So what your showing your kids then is what i was trying to say before, You as adult will make a mistake right or wrong and hopfully learn from it, but that doesnt mean you you will let your kid experiment at his or her own risk, correct? By the way nice pics of your wife in the boobs thread!
Yes, and thank you! :)

Trigger
01-18-2005, 12:50 PM
You have missed the point! No one is condoning what took place! And trying to explain this online is difficult! And yes you can as an adult try to beat the crap out of me and it is your right as an adult to try and do so! I have to teenage kids who are honer students and have never had problems with dumb parents! They learned early on, that as an adult my wife and I have certain previlages if you will! I agree with the rehab and the discontinuing of the drug! but as imperfect people this may not be the only time a parent may fail there child! And you would hope that your child would understand that if taught that! Anyways Its my opinion! do what you will with yours and do mine! See you at the lake someday were you can beat the crap out of me and show your kid just how stupid dad is! :hammerhea
"Having Certain privilages" does not mean illegal activities. A child that is brought up in that environment stands a better chance of repeating that same activity (smoking, drugs, etc..) A child that sees their parent as an authority figure will see those "illegal" actions as something not to be concerned with due to the fact that their parents do it as well. Live your life as you would like your children to. Children have to go through enough tempations and problems growing up, seeing their parents do what so many tell them is wrong is only going to be confussing and contradictory to what they were told. What do you think an influential child is going to pick up from this? Time to grow up and take responsibilty for your actions and teachings.
You will not see me out on the lake as I do not live anywhere near you and I would never put myself in that position to let my kids (if I had any) see me lose my head over something that is not life threating to them or me. If need be I am sure I would not have to "try".
BTW- straight "A" students can become losers and criminals too you know. Good grades is not always a sign of "perfect kids". I would rather have a child that earns "C's" and never tried drugs and is brought up to be respectful than one that gets "A's" and does drugs and thinks they can do as they see fit whenever they chose. But that is just me.

Her454
01-18-2005, 01:05 PM
"BTW- straight "A" students can become losers and criminals too you know. Good grades is not always a sign of "perfect kids". I would rather have a child that earns "C's" and never tried drugs and is brought up to be respectful than one that gets "A's" and does drugs and thinks they can do as they see fit whenever they chose. But that is just me.
Very well said and I agree..................

VEGASBABY
01-18-2005, 02:15 PM
"Having Certain privilages" does not mean illegal activities. A child that is brought up in that environment stands a better chance of repeating that same activity (smoking, drugs, etc..) A child that sees their parent as an authority figure will see those "illegal" actions as something not to be concerned with due to the fact that their parents do it as well. Live your life as you would like your children to. Children have to go through enough tempations and problems growing up, seeing their parents do what so many tell them is wrong is only going to be confussing and contradictory to what they were told. What do you think an influential child is going to pick up from this? Time to grow up and take responsibilty for your actions and teachings.
You will not see me out on the lake as I do not live anywhere near you and I would never put myself in that position to let my kids (if I had any) see me lose my head over something that is not life threating to them or me. If need be I am sure I would not have to "try".
BTW- straight "A" students can become losers and criminals too you know. Good grades is not always a sign of "perfect kids". I would rather have a child that earns "C's" and never tried drugs and is brought up to be respectful than one that gets "A's" and does drugs and thinks they can do as they see fit whenever they chose. But that is just me.You are correct in saying that straight "a" students are just as capable of failure ,and so far mine have not ,but how ignorant of me and them to assume otherwise! I hope that considering you have" no kids" your parental skills stay on par with your convictions! However you will realize that kids are alot smarter then you give them credit for! And by the way keep up the positive attitude, builds good character!!!!

FMluvswater
01-18-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm sure this incident has put a definite wrinkle in the fabric of their relationship but it isn't the end of the world. That the mom is even concerned how this will now affect her daughter tells me she is a good parent. That supposed, it stands to reason she has given her daughter guidance and skills thus far to make reasonable decisions for herself regarding whether or not she will ever do drugs. Not every child exposed to parents who use, will choose that for themselves later. Kids don't come with a manual and having a kid doesn't suddenly make you a saint either. Human beings live and learn ... best case scenario. :)

Her454
01-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Kids don't come with a manual and having a kid doesn't suddenly make you a saint either...............
ROTFLMAO...........................once again, she comes up with a classic.......
DAMMIT FM, Im gonna have to take that phony manual back and turn in my halo now................... :D

canuck1
01-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Pot isn't legal?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Not every child exposed to parents who use, will choose that for themselves later.
That's true. My dad smoked it until I was about 20. He never hid it from us, but I never tried it.

FMluvswater
01-18-2005, 02:43 PM
ROTFLMAO...........................once again, she comes up with a classic.......
DAMMIT FM, Im gonna have to take that phony manual back and turn in my halo now................... :D
LMAO, Her454! :D My mom told me my whole life whenever I challenged her "I'm a mother and mothers know everything!" well ... I believed her too ... until I became one myself! :supp: What a rude awakening that was, lol! :D I even took a parenting class when my son was an infant. It was called Nobody's Perfect Parenting. I kept mentally ignoring the Nobody part of it and thought I could be THE perfect Mom ... feet are now firmly planted on the earth! :D It's so easy for a casual onlooker to pass judgement. As a parent I hear the advice, the "you have to"'s and the snap judgements on all that I'm doing wrong and I take what I can use and leave the rest cuz when it comes down to it, it's between me and my kiddo. He thinks I'm the greatest Mom ever (hey I've tried to explain to him I'm fallible but he still insists!) ! :D ). :)

VEGASBABY
01-18-2005, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=FMluvswaterbabe]LMAO, Her454! :D My mom told me my whole life whenever I challenged her "I'm a mother and mothers know everything!" well ... I believed her too ... until I became one myself! :supp: What a rude awakening that was, lol! :D I even took a parenting class when my son was an infant. It was called Nobody's Perfect Parenting. I kept mentally ignoring the Nobody part of it and thought I could be THE perfect Mom ... feet are now firmly planted on the earth! :D It's so easy for a casual onlooker to pass judgement. As a parent I hear the advice, the "you have to"'s and the snap judgements on all that I'm doing wrong and I take what I can use and leave the rest cuz when it comes down to it, it's between me and my kiddo. He thinks I'm the greatest Mom ever (hey I've tried to explain to him I'm fallible but he still insists!) ! :D ). :)[/QU
Nice job, your kids probably right ;)

FMluvswater
01-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Nice job, your kids probably right ;)
Thank-you. :) It's a mutual admiration thing for us ... I happen to think he's the greatest kid in the world, too. :wink: :D

Trigger
01-19-2005, 06:34 AM
You are correct in saying that straight "a" students are just as capable of failure ,and so far mine have not ,but how ignorant of me and them to assume otherwise! I hope that considering you have" no kids" your parental skills stay on par with your convictions! However you will realize that kids are alot smarter then you give them credit for! And by the way keep up the positive attitude, builds good character!!!!
I know kids are smart, all the more reason not to put yourself in the position to be be caught with something ILLEGAL! I am sure all parents make some mistakes, I will too, but why increase the risk of having a big screw up blow up in your face. It is called maturity. If you chose to do it when younger than fine, but now if childen are involved grow up and put to rest the chapter in your life that can only do harm to the family structure. You are talking like an immature child yourself that does not see the risk you are taking. How embarssing would it be if the cops came and arrested you for buying drugs and took you away in hand cuffs in front of your child. It is a sign of a weak person that can't do what is morally and LEGALLY right by a child.
BTW- I was that "A" student and I never have tried one drug (well alcohol) and have never smoked either. So I hope your children don't follow in your path and I give them credit for the good scores. Maybe intelligence can skip a generation. (Thank god for your kids)

VEGASBABY
01-19-2005, 10:14 AM
I know kids are smart, all the more reason not to put yourself in the position to be be caught with something ILLEGAL! I am sure all parents make some mistakes, I will too, but why increase the risk of having a big screw up blow up in your face. It is called maturity. If you chose to do it when younger than fine, but now if childen are involved grow up and put to rest the chapter in your life that can only do harm to the family structure. You are talking like an immature child yourself that does not see the risk you are taking. How embarssing would it be if the cops came and arrested you for buying drugs and took you away in hand cuffs in front of your child. It is a sign of a weak person that can't do what is morally and LEGALLY right by a child.
BTW- I was that "A" student and I never have tried one drug (well alcohol) and have never smoked either. So I hope your children don't follow in your path and I give them credit for the good scores. Maybe intelligence can skip a generation. (Thank god for your kids)Ah Trigger you assume that I have delt with this perticular trouble in my life, but i to have never done drugs but have indulged in a drink now and then. And as far as maturity is conserned the fact that you feel the need to put me down(someone you now nothing about) and talk about kids( which you have none) tells me that you have little life experience! And remember "A" student, this is a discussion(you may have had them in school) without differences in opinion life would be boring! Good luck with your future kids!!!!!

slowinhavasuskid
01-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Some of you people amaze me!!! How did the topic of needing some help turn into a bitch at eachother fest????? :hammerhea all we needed to do was give some input. So stop bitching at eachother and help the woman out with suggestions not bitching at eachother on how you think life should or shouldnt be!!!! :mad: yes we all have differnet opinions but if we all cant get along to some extent keep your mouths shut!!! (or just stop typing!)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Some of you people amaze me!!! How did the topic of needing some help turn into a bitch at eachother fest????? :hammerhea all we needed to do was give some input. So stop bitching at eachother and help the woman out with suggestions not bitching at eachother on how you think life should or shouldnt be!!!! :mad: yes we all have differnet opinions but if we all cant get along to some extent keep your mouths shut!!! (or just stop typing!)
LOL, you get em! :p
I had no idea that asking for advice would turn so ugly.
Oh, and an update on the situation....the mom and daughter are doing fine. Mom is quitting and having daughter "help" her and making her feel she is making a difference. Mom and daughter were always very close and although this situation just happened a few days ago, it doesn't seem to be having the devastating effect we all anticipated.
:)
Linda

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
01-19-2005, 11:33 AM
I think you may have some thing here

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
01-19-2005, 11:35 AM
easy there rockie, to much coffee to day or what :hammerhea

FMluvswater
01-19-2005, 11:36 AM
LOL, you get em! :p
Oh, and an update on the situation....the mom and daughter are doing fine. Mom is quitting and having daughter "help" her and making her feel she is making a difference. Mom and daughter were always very close and although this situation just happened a few days ago, it doesn't seem to be having the devastating effect we all anticipated.
:)
Linda
Thanks for the update. :) Isn't it funny to feel such concern for 2 nameless faceless people, lol. I'm really glad to find out that they are working things out the right way for them and that they are still close. :cool:

OGShocker
01-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Grow the F'k up and drop the Drugs :burningm:
Here here!!

Tom Brown
01-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Good one, Linda. :D :D :D

Jbb
01-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Good one, Linda. :D :D :D
Shut up Brown.. :mad: .................................................. .............. :D

Trigger
01-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Thats one reason why my EX is my EX !!!! Grow the F'k up and drop the Drugs :burningm:
Simple and to the point! I agree, but some on here believe that as an adult you have the rights to do what you feel is ok regardless of whether it is illegal or that you have little ones who look up to you for leadership and to be a role model. I know I would think highly of a pot smoking mommy even though she tells me not to ever do it. Hypocrits. You can't teach DUMB to some people.

al cole'holic
01-19-2005, 12:03 PM
...she'll be snappin loads with her kid in no time.

Tom Brown
01-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Shut up Brown.. :mad: .................................................. .............. :D
Fortunately for me, Canada legalized marijuana for medicinal use just prior to my glaucoma flare up.
You should come to Canada for your vision care, Brian. It would do wonders for your hostility.

Jbb
01-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Fortunately for me, Canada legalized marijuana for medicinal use just prior to my glaucoma flare up.
You should come to Canada for your vision care, Brian. It would do wonders for your hostility.
What Hostility....... :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2: :cool: :D

lucky
01-19-2005, 02:10 PM
hell - i'd say time to make brownies :D

VEGASBABY
01-19-2005, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=Trigger]Simple and to the point! I agree, but some on here believe that as an adult you have the rights to do what you feel is ok regardless of whether it is illegal or that you have little ones who look up to you for leadership and to be a role model. I know I would think highly of a pot smoking mommy even though she tells me not to ever do it. Hypocrits. You can't teach DUMB to some people.[/QUOTE} Stupid, shut up already, havent you read the last few post,there right, were yapping over our own opinions !!!

slowinhavasuskid
01-19-2005, 03:22 PM
easy there rockie, to much coffee to day or what :hammerhea
Sorry it came out so harsh. I just get sick of people bitching at eachother when all someone was asking for was some help. So sorry if I came off as a Bitch I am just trying to break up the fight! :(

VEGASBABY
01-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Sorry it came out so harsh. I just get sick of people bitching at eachother when all someone was asking for was some help. So sorry if I came off as a Bitch I am just trying to break up the fight! :( No fight here, just bitchin bitch slappin

canuck1
01-19-2005, 11:42 PM
hmmmm
Smoke pot bad
drink 300 beers good
what was the question?

AirtimeLavey
01-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Sounds like she's handling it the right way. Who knows...it may bring her and her daughter closer, and her daughter may learn that everyone is vulnerable, and sometimes doing the right thing is really, really hard.

Tom Brown
01-20-2005, 07:25 AM
Sorry it came out so harsh.
No need. Follow this link. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)

Trigger
01-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Vegas, you have done alot of back stepping since your first posts and these are what my comments were directed to. Just go back and read your previous posts. So don't get all mighty with me. If you have children you should not be doing "an occasional hit of mary jane" as you say you have a right to do as an adult. Do as you wish, just don't hurt your a$$ on the fence posts. Good luck.