PDA

View Full Version : JL Audio come up with a great solution integrating..

ROZ
01-18-2005, 09:41 AM
any OEM headunit to aftermarket sound systems...
JL Audio Introduces a Solution to
“Aftermarket-Unfriendly” OEM Auto Sound Systems
Revolutionary, DSP-based “smart” interface makes almost any vehicle a candidate for high-end, aftermarket autosound.
Miramar, FL—January 7, 2005 — As automakers continue to abandon the stand-alone DIN and Double-DIN head-unit in favor of “aftermarket-unfriendly” integrated designs, JL Audio's product development team felt that a need existed for a high-quality, OEM integration solution. This product would need to deliver world-class audio results while not interfering with vehicle functionality, safety or reliability. To this end, the company embarked on a two-year project to develop CleanSweep™ —an innovative, patent-pending solution which permits almost any factory supplied integrated OEM audio system to serve as the source for a high-performance aftermarket sound system.
A particularly difficult challenge was dealing with the reality that a huge number of OEM head units now incorporate non-defeatable equalization curves aimed at correcting the response of factory speakers, as well as protecting relatively weak factory speaker systems from overload. Examples of these include bass roll-off at increasing volume settings, or severe midrange EQ to tame the response of OEM speakers. With previous integration solutions, even if an auto sound installer was able to find suitable analog audio coming out of the OEM head unit (or amplifier), the consumer could end up with severely compromised aftermarket audio due to OEM equalization (garbage in, garbage out).
With CleanSweep™, installers can take the audio outputs from almost any OEM head unit or amplifier, level-match and correct the frequency response, and deliver high-quality signals for aftermarket audio equipment. This makes virtually any vehicle a candidate for high-end sound (without costly fabrication, integration or radical surgery to the dashboard).
Manville Smith, Vice President of Marketing for JL Audio says: “The unfortunate reality is that automakers are showing no signs of making new vehicles that are aftermarket-friendly and, because of this trend, the traditional "head unit swap" is becoming obsolete. CleanSweep™, quite simply, enables high-end, aftermarket audio to work with modern vehicle systems, without causing problems and without accepting compromised audio quality… It really is a powerful solution."
What exactly does CleanSweep™ do?
1) About the size of a paperback book, CleanSweep™ accepts virtually any audio signal, from low-voltage line-level to high-power amplified speaker-level, via its four differential-balanced inputs, precisely integrating stereo or stereo-front/rear signals with totally automatic level compensation.
2) CleanSweep™ internally converts the two or four connected analog signals to digital audio with 24 bit effective resolution.
4) CleanSweep™ applies the power of its on-board, state-of-the-art 32-bit SHARC® DSP processor to automatically equalize each of the four channels with 30 bands of equalization (that's 120 bands total), effectively correcting the response of almost any OEM-equalized full-range signal. The effect of these digital-domain corrections will range from subtle to dramatic, depending on the degree of equalization engineered into the OEM system. To accomplish this complex feat, the installer simply loads the supplied CleanSweep™ calibration CD into the OEM CD player, sets the OEM volume between half and 2/3 volume, plays the designated calibration track and then presses the "Calibrate" button on the top of the hideaway CleanSweep™ component. Approximately 20 seconds later, the CleanSweep™ is finished analyzing and equalizing the OEM source's response.
5) CleanSweep™ then converts the digitally corrected signals back to analog audio and sends them out through two pairs of low-distortion 8 volt (RMS) line level outputs.
6) CleanSweep™ also integrates a stereo auxiliary input circuit for adding an additional stereo source such as a satellite radio tuner, MP3 player, aftermarket source unit, or any other audio source to the system.
7) CleanSweep™ includes a good-old-fashioned knob with stops at both ends to control the master system volume (at the outputs of the processor unit) for both the OEM and auxiliary sources. The master volume eliminates the effects of any OEM equalization that is dependent on the OEM volume control position and allows a high signal-to-noise ratio to be maintained in the system. When pressed, the master volume knob also selects between the OEM and Auxiliary source.
A dash-mountable status LED changes color to indicate OEM or AUX input modes. These small controls can be easily mounted in the cockpit within reach of the driver, wherever the installer and owner select.
8) CleanSweep™ can be deployed in signal-sensing mode, powering up and providing a 12-volt turn-on signal for aftermarket equipment whenever signal is detected; or it can be activated by a conventional 12-volt trigger if the OEM system provides one.
With CleanSweep™ installed, the vehicle owner can enjoy clean, high-end sound and an additional, aftermarket audio source, while avoiding messy OEM diagnostic problems. CleanSweep™ allows for quick and simple restoration of the original OEM system setup, allowing it to be moved to another vehicle when a lease expires or the vehicle is sold. Most importantly, it gives newer vehicle owners the freedom to upgrade their audio systems with high-quality aftermarket gear, without fear of damaging complex automotive systems.
http://www.jlaudio.com/press/images/CL441_dsp_FRT.jpg

mbrown2
01-19-2005, 11:40 AM
When will this be available? and what will be the cost?, this sounds like something I would be interested in....I personally hate moving to aftermarket players if I can get good sound out of the factory head unit...specifically cause manufactures have 6 disc in dash, and no one after market has that anymore...

ROZ
01-19-2005, 12:06 PM
When will this be available? and what will be the cost?, this sounds like something I would be interested in....I personally hate moving to aftermarket players if I can get good sound out of the factory head unit...specifically cause manufactures have 6 disc in dash, and no one after market has that anymore...
I hear it's going to retail for around 500.00, but that's only speculation.. The rep didn't foward the CleanSweep info to me...
A piece like this IS the way of the future. Hopefully a couple other companies like Zapco, will be able to transform.. Rumor says that Eclipse(div. of Fujitsu Ten) and MTX(Mitech) are proposing their products to Circiut to stay alive when they should work on future integration into OEM...
Our regional 12 guy in the CES car audio section seeing that everyone was still touting my woofer is bigger than the w7. When asked what future plans were for their company,they had baffled look on their face. You once mentioned being a chameleon when it came to employment and adapting to new COE's. A lot of these companies are not chameleons....

PHX ATC
01-20-2005, 07:31 AM
What does all that mean...in English, please? :cry:

ROZ
01-20-2005, 09:12 AM
What does all that mean...in English, please? :cry:
That means JL will make a module that will allow you to run aftermarket amp and speakers with OEM headunits by taking an analog signal from the speakerwires from your OEM headunit, digitally process it to make the signal from the headunit cleaner and stronger, and have rca outputs so it can be run through and aftermarket amp and speakers. Plus, you get a cool dash control :D
Since more and more vehicles will have coded systems like in a computer network and have various vehicle functions(like locks, chimes, etc) run through a headunit, theaftermarket headunit market will be shrinking drastically. The companies who want to stay alive will have to make some drastic changes. JL has been working on this unit for quite some time. I hope other companies have done the same....

flat broke
01-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Roz,
Bitchen find, had it been available right now, I would have done that as an alternative to FM modulation for my ipod and building block for my new Suby's sounds. Keep us updated on that, or a link where I can get more info. Are you guys going to be selling the setup?
Chris

ROZ
01-20-2005, 10:06 AM
Roz,
Bitchen find, had it been available right now, I would have done that as an alternative to FM modulation for my ipod and building block for my new Suby's sounds. Keep us updated on that, or a link where I can get more info. Are you guys going to be selling the setup?
Chris
We'll be carrying it fo shizzle.... soon as the rep gets back to me, I'll let ya know when available...

Parker
01-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Amazing piece, saw this at CES too.
Roz, you are 100% correct. Companies are going to either get busy getting current, both mfg., and retailers, or they will not be a part of the future of this business. This is the future of the business.

h2oski2fast
01-30-2005, 10:22 PM
Thats an awsome idea. I hope it works like they say it does. I'm still kinda wondering about the head units that attenuate the bass as volume rises. If you set the volume at a certain level to equalize the signal, what happens at lower levels? More than likely they will have to come up with a processor that will be able to compensate for the different variences in volume. Maybe it's already built in, or do you have to use the processor master volume control? That would eliminate the use of the redundant controls for volume.
I still think its a great idea and would like to know more about this unit. I guess I'll have to make a few phone calls to find out!