PDA

View Full Version : Steering Problem at Low Speed...

Raisin Wake
01-19-2005, 07:34 AM
Bravo I outdrive on a 22' Eliminator. At idle speed, the hydrolic steering is hard to keep in a straight line. The boat wants to turn. When you correct for the turn, the boat goes to far the other direction. Ideling in a straight line is very difficult. At speed, however, all works fine. This is my forst boat with hydrollic steering, so I'm not 100% sure what it should feel like. Thanks for any advice.....

phebus
01-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Sounds more like bow steer then a hydraulic steering problem. All vee's will bow steer to some extent at wake speeds, try playing with your trim a little and see if it changes.

Havasu Hangin'
01-19-2005, 07:44 AM
Did you try to wiggle the outdrive when it's on the trailer? Any play?
If not...like phebus said...most boats wander a little. I just make very (the key word is "very") small corrections on the wheel. There's a delay, but it eventually comes back...just be patient.

Raisin Wake
01-19-2005, 07:53 AM
I didn't think of the bow steer issue. My last boat was not as deep as this one. It was also a V-drive.
There is a little play in the outdrive. How much play is normal? Should there be any play?
Thanks

Havasu Hangin'
01-19-2005, 07:56 AM
I didn't think of the bow steer issue. My last boat was not as deep as this one. IT was also and V-drive.
There is a little play in the outdrive. How much play is normal? Should there be any play?
Thanks
Is it external steering?
V-Drive and Stern Drive are two different animals...

Raisin Wake
01-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Is it external steering?
V-Drive and Stern Drive are two different animals...
When you say external steering, do you mean the outdrive itself?

Havasu Hangin'
01-19-2005, 08:04 AM
When you say external steering, do you mean the outdrive itself?
External steering means the ram is outside the boat, and mounted on the transom (bolted to the top cap on the outdrive).
If you have stock steering, any more than an inch or two is not good. External should have zero.

Raisin Wake
01-19-2005, 08:57 AM
I think I have internal steering, then. So you say a little play is OK. Next time I go out, I'll play with the trim. I think I'm just getting used to the whole outdrive thing. I've been driving an inboard since I was 12.

jackpunx
01-19-2005, 09:27 AM
I think I have internal steering, then. So you say a little play is OK. Next time I go out, I'll play with the trim. I think I'm just getting used to the whole outdrive thing. I've been driving an inboard since I was 12.
a little is ok.. You should be fine when on plane.. if you trim up a bit while at idle you will have to turn the boat less..
and the V will send you in all directions.. You will find if you just leave it.. it will come back to where you need to be..
you need very little input and patients..
Seat time in your boat will be your best bet..
It doesn’t sound like you have any mechanical issues.
Good luck
Mark

phebus
01-19-2005, 10:29 AM
Besides playing with trim to correct bow steer, how you carry the load in your boat will also effect it. (i.e. people positioned in open bow). Again , as stated, patience is the key. If you correct it to steer straight quickly, you will then have to coorrect again when it starts going the other way. Small adjustments allowing it time to correct is the best way. Don't oversteer, it sounds like that is your problem. Unless you need to make a correction to avoid something you will be fine with a gradual wander.