PDA

View Full Version : Gibson mufflers

vodkarocks
01-19-2005, 09:30 AM
I saw an ad in ***boat for gibson mufflers for boats. Has anyone tried them or know anything about them?

BoatFloating
01-19-2005, 10:30 AM
I talked to Ron Gibson at Glamis this weekend and he said they were part of the Hot Boat test that will be out in the March issue and they work great. My understanding they will be cheaper then any of MFG out there because he is in the exhaust business and it's all in house. :D

phebus
01-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Rocky, I've seen you party, how do you remember who you talk to. Damn, you are good!! I am just a rank amateur (an old one). Then again, maybe my liver is just shot. :D

shipface
01-19-2005, 10:53 AM
if i'am right only gibson,northstar,and imco mega-mufflers passed the decibal test. i'll make a cupple of calls and find out for sure :hammerhea :hammerhea

jackpunx
01-19-2005, 11:00 AM
let us know as soon as you find out..
thanks

sleekster
01-19-2005, 11:04 AM
today in summit racing catalog i noticed they sell mufflers, actually what they are are inserts that fit in the end of your headers and the best part is they are only 60.00 a piece.

roostwear
01-19-2005, 11:18 AM
I think you're talking about the Car Chemistry piece. (http://www.roostwear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153)

Music to my Ears
01-19-2005, 01:34 PM
I just called Gibson Performance Exhaust, and they say that they can't release any info on their mufflers until they are released in about 4-6 weeks. Seems odd that they would advertise a product that's not ready to go. He wouldn't confirm any test results or give any pricing. As much as I like the Rex Marine silencers, it would be nice to have other options. :hammerhea

jackpunx
01-19-2005, 01:37 PM
I just called Gibson Performance Exhaust, and they say that they can't release any info on their mufflers until they are released in about 4-6 weeks. Seems odd that they would advertise a product that's not ready to go. He wouldn't confirm any test results or give any pricing. As much as I like the Rex Marine silencers, it would be nice to have other options. :hammerhea
FYI.. have you ever seen the Gibson boat?.. well they use them on that.. Big power.. and it works really really well.. :smile:
they are not far from release..

Music to my Ears
01-19-2005, 01:43 PM
FYI.. have you ever seen the Gibson boat?.. well they use them on that.. Big power.. and it works really really well.. :smile:
I have not. Looking forward to checking them out. :shift:

vodkarocks
01-19-2005, 02:03 PM
I think it said from $499, but I will check the ad tonight and make sure

Havasu_Dreamin
01-19-2005, 02:07 PM
if i'am right only gibson,northstar,and imco mega-mufflers passed the decibal test. i'll make a cupple of calls and find out for sure :hammerhea :hammerhea
We've got the Rex Marine Silencers and I KNOW they pass the new CA law.

Music to my Ears
01-19-2005, 02:07 PM
I think it said from $499, but I will check the ad tonight and make sure
That's what the add said in ***boat, but he couldn't confirm any pricing with me.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Did they always have them on it? I had heard that the tips on his boat extended downward and actually were underwater at idle, which is how the test would be performed, but above the water once the boat was on plane. Again, this is what I was told, never have seen the boat up close enough to see for myself.

Jordy
01-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Did they always have them on it? I had heard that the tips on his boat extended downward and actually were underwater at idle, which is how the test would be performed, but above the water once the boat was on plane. Again, this is what I was told, never have seen the boat up close enough to see for myself.
You would be correct as they do exit under water at idle.

jackpunx
01-19-2005, 02:12 PM
We've got the Rex Marine Silencers and I KNOW they pass the new CA law.
maybe on your boat.. but not mine..
I talked to mike and they are working on another one for some bigger HP..

jackpunx
01-19-2005, 02:13 PM
You would be correct as they do exit under water at idle.
whatever it takes.. it only takes 5 min to put them on.. so just keep them in the boat till you get kicked off the lake.. then put them on.. :D

Bling Bling
01-19-2005, 02:14 PM
I talked to Ron Gibson at Glamis this weekend and he said they were part of the Hot Boat test that will be out in the March issue and they work great. My understanding they will be cheaper then any of MFG out there because he is in the exhaust business and it's all in house. :D
First of all guy, you slurred to Mr. Gibson(Per Blingette), and it sounds like he's got a winner for alot less money. Some of the muffler Co.s should be ashamed at what they charge. Gibson exhaust all the way.

Stealth Marine
01-19-2005, 03:22 PM
I had the opportunity to see them at the recent SEMA SHow.
They looked very nice and we intend on getting a set of them in to try on our boats as a possible standard feature for the rest of the year.

ADDICTED
01-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Well Guys if you dont no already I am Shawn Gibson. I am Ron Gibson's Son.
Originally we were not planning on releasing any mufflers until the end of the month. We were caught off gaurd when our add was in ***boat this month, becuase we were not expecting it to be seen until next month. Not a problem though. As of right now we do have 4" mufflers avalable in stock $499.00. We are trying to take everyones information down until we can acumilate enough stock to eliminate any back order problems.
We are finishing up our apllication guide as we speek and should have more information with in a week.
Aslo all testing on the bullet mufflers were done the 496, 500HP, & 525. Passed with flying colors. We are doing additional test with 575 which should have results soon.
The Power Curves are a turndown style that directs the exhaust under the water level. This is ideal for big horse power boats that cannont handle back pressure.
Every one off our parts has been flow tested on a in house flow bench to ensure maximum flow with no loss of power. I believe this is the key when it comes to designing a straght through design muffler that actually works.
There are also inserts available for the turndowns as well.
Anyone local in the Corona Area is more then welcome to stop on by and check out some of our samples.
Just ask for Shawn and I will help answer any questions.

OutCole'd
01-19-2005, 04:27 PM
So Shawn, any clamp on versions in the works?

Ziggy
01-19-2005, 04:31 PM
I always see that boat at the dock below Shugrue's.

Pet This
01-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Shawn how's it going?
Is there any chance your inserts will work inside CMI tailpipes? I need some for my little Talon with the Viper in it. They are 4.5" pipes with the small flats at 45's on top to spill the water in at the tips. I'd like to stop by maybe on fri.
tell your Dad Randy said hi!

BoatFloating
01-19-2005, 04:51 PM
I pretty sure they all are clamp on....
:)

Music to my Ears
01-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the info Shawn. When I called ealier today, the person I talked to didn't take my information and couldn't get off the phone fast enough. I only say this because I'm very interested in your product. I will call back again and ask for you this time. :)

That Guy
01-19-2005, 05:00 PM
OutCole'd - How do the clamp on's work? Can you take them on and off? Just curious.....thanks

ADDICTED
01-19-2005, 05:04 PM
OutCole'd - How do the clamp on's work? Can you take them on and off? Just curious.....thanks
If you visit our website www.gibsonperformance.com and look at our truck tips. The clamp on style is very similar, but a larger stronger design. Very easy to take on and off. Also have a thru bolt transom mount. Which replaces your factory tip and slips through the transom. This was designed for most of the boat manufactures. Leaving the office right now will answer all questions tomorow.
"The other half is calling" :D

Toomstone
01-19-2005, 05:39 PM
so are the clamp on turn-downs pretty much just a peice of piping putting the exhaust under water at idle???
Toomstone :crossx:

ADDICTED
01-19-2005, 06:33 PM
so are the clamp on turn-downs pretty much just a peice of piping putting the exhaust under water at idle???
Toomstone :crossx:
For the most part yes.( Large size, HIgh flow, and most importantly very effective.) We also supply slip in insert for higher speeds when the exhaust is above the water line.
Shawn

Jordy
01-19-2005, 06:43 PM
For the most part yes.( Large size, HIgh flow, and most importantly very effective.) We also supply slip in insert for higher speeds when the exhaust is above the water line.
Shawn
Hey, I thought you were supposed to be taking care of the other half. :D
Jordy :D

roln 20s
01-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Hey Shawn-
I saw the website and the ads--there is no doubt they are bad ass. After having the Gibson on my truck for the past 4 months (thanks again for that-I love it)...I will definately be getting your Exhaust tips once I get a boat. I definately a Gibson exhaust guy--good customer service and a great product will always keep me around.
Thanks again- a super happy Gibson owner.
Roln 20s

OutCole'd
01-19-2005, 09:05 PM
If you visit our website www.gibsonperformance.com and look at our truck tips. The clamp on style is very similar, but a larger stronger design. Very easy to take on and off. Also have a thru bolt transom mount. Which replaces your factory tip and slips through the transom. This was designed for most of the boat manufactures. Leaving the office right now will answer all questions tomorow.
Shawn, is there one of these that you are talking about here or can you give a link to where it is on your site?
http://www.gibsonperformance.com/tips.asp

Cs19
01-19-2005, 11:27 PM
shawn you still have that eliminator jetboat for blythe trips?
hope all is well.
Chris. :D

ROZ
01-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Rocky, I've seen you party, how do you remember who you talk to. Damn, you are good!! I am just a rank amateur (an old one). Then again, maybe my liver is just shot. :D
I don't think Rocky even has a liver :D

BoatFloating
01-20-2005, 07:20 AM
I don't think Rocky even has a liver :D
It's a pool filter system now....
:rollside:

alfonzo
01-20-2005, 07:29 AM
I talked to Ron Gibson at Glamis this weekend and he said they were part of the Hot Boat test that will be out in the March issue and they work great. My understanding they will be cheaper then any of MFG out there because he is in the exhaust business and it's all in house. :D How in the hell do you even remember that night? I was there and It wasn't pretty.........It was pretty funny though!

ADDICTED
01-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Shawn, is there one of these that you are talking about here or can you give a link to where it is on your site?
http://www.gibsonperformance.com/tips.asp
The tip section was to show our clamp on style. I have photos but STILL do not no how to post pictures. We are working on updating our site with an apllication guide and photos.
Hot boat will be the first to no about it.

ADDICTED
01-20-2005, 08:12 AM
shawn you still have that eliminator jetboat for blythe trips?
hope all is well.
Chris. :D
No unfortunatley not. Wish I still did. So much fun in blythe. I have dads old boat now. 27 Daytona. Not a bad upgrade but just cant use it at blythe.

OutCole'd
01-20-2005, 08:55 AM
The tip section was to show our clamp on style. I have photos but STILL do not no how to post pictures. We are working on updating our site with an apllication guide and photos.
Hot boat will be the first to no about it.
Can you e mail pics? If so, send them to me & I will post them.
Bill@smnv.net

That Guy
01-20-2005, 11:03 AM
Thanks Shawn: So, theoretically, I could bolt them on to pass any test that was required and then take them off if I wanted later that day, on another lake, etc...? Sounds like an easy way to meet the requirements? Seems like you could also carry them in the boat and show LE that you just haven't had time to put them on yet :p :crossx: :)

jackpunx
01-20-2005, 11:07 AM
is there a part of the test that is when your on plane?..
meaning I know you will pass at idle but.. when the boat comes out of the water all that changes..
does the law allow for that?

Havasu_Dreamin
01-20-2005, 11:12 AM
is there a part of the test that is when your on plane?..
meaning I know you will pass at idle but.. when the boat comes out of the water all that changes..
does the law allow for that?
Yes, there still is a drive by test and I would suspect, no experience with the test, that an unmuffled boat would not pass.

BoatFloating
01-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks Shawn: So, theoretically, I could bolt them on to pass any test that was required and then take them off if I wanted later that day, on another lake, etc...? Sounds like an easy way to meet the requirements? Seems like you could also carry them in the boat and show LE that you just haven't had time to put them on yet :p :crossx: :)
I'm sure you could do that but why would you if it doesn't effect performance. Oh yeah showing the LE the mufflers and saying you hadn't had time to put them more than likely won't work. I'm sure you'll hear them say sign here and send your $250 to this address.....
:mix:

That Guy
01-20-2005, 11:57 AM
I'm sure you could do that but why would you if it doesn't effect performance. Oh yeah showing the LE the mufflers and saying you hadn't had time to put them more than likely won't work. I'm sure you'll hear them say sign here and send your $250 to this address.....
:mix:
I was kidding about the LE comment. The only reason for taking them off is I really like the sound of the engine. Depending on how motivated LE is on enforcement, there is still nothing like that sound running down the lake.... :)

Procraftkev
01-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Is the fine $250.00, If so that hurts!

Essex502
01-20-2005, 12:07 PM
And in some states the fine grows with each offense. Put them on permanently and live with it. A legally muffled HP525 still sounds good with the right set of mufflers/silencers.

ADDICTED
01-20-2005, 12:15 PM
And in some states the fine grows with each offense. Put them on permanently and live with it. A legally muffled HP525 still sounds good with the right set of mufflers/silencers.
Exactly right. It still sounds like a boat. Except now when the snow birds are sitting on there porch having tea they no longer have the need to turn down there hearing aids.

ADDICTED
01-20-2005, 12:21 PM
I was kidding about the LE comment. The only reason for taking them off is I really like the sound of the engine. Depending on how motivated LE is on enforcement, there is still nothing like that sound running down the lake.... :)
I am right there with you on this one. There is nothing better then the sound of a boat while running. I hate having to put mufflers on. I think it is rediculous. This is the biggest reason we stepped it up and built our mufflers. We were not very confident that the manufactures building the mufflers had the proper equipment to build a good sounding quiet muffler. I dont want my boat sounding like a Pontoon nor do I want it sounding like a muffled v-8. Want it to sound like a tuned v-8. I think we have got really close.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-20-2005, 12:23 PM
A legally muffled HP525 still sounds good with the right set of mufflers/silencers.
Yep, I still like the sound of ours. Still beefy/throaty but just not as loud. Although it was nice when it was louder.

BoatFloating
01-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Is the fine $250.00, If so that hurts!
Yes and it increases every offense. $250 is just a small attention getter....
:jawdrop:
I think at idle is where they muffle the sound and when you run it shouldn't sound a whole lot different. :shift:

BADBLOWN572
01-20-2005, 04:57 PM
With the pipes being put out under the water, are you having any problems with reversion? Some of us boats with bigger cams have a tendancy to suck up water. What have you guys done to prevent reversion and hydrolock?

Jordy
01-20-2005, 05:15 PM
With the pipes being put out under the water, are you having any problems with reversion? Some of us boats with bigger cams have a tendancy to suck up water. What have you guys done to prevent reversion and hydrolock?
As near as I can figure, you'd have to pull an awful lot of water up through the tips, through the pipes and up the risers before you'd see any reversion. I think you'd be more at risk from the water that dumps into the exhaust after the riser than from the submerged tips. :D

ADDICTED
01-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Good question! and Jordan you are right. It hasn't been a problem and to make sure it wont be a problem we have added some release holes for the water exit if it were to be sucked above the water line. This has worked on my dads boat quite well and never experienced any problems. ( 2- 1200hp quad rotars)
Pics will be coming soon.

Cs19
01-21-2005, 09:11 AM
No unfortunatley not. Wish I still did. So much fun in blythe. I have dads old boat now. 27 Daytona. Not a bad upgrade but just cant use it at blythe.
Ahh dude.gotta have both.
If your ever in the area, we still hang out down there in that area, if you remember how to get there.
Chris.

hot_diggity_dog
01-21-2005, 10:23 AM
http://www.gibsonperformance.com/images/gibson_home.jpg
Gibson Performance Exhaust (http://www.gibsonperformance.com/)
Well Guys if you dont no already I am Shawn Gibson. I am Ron Gibson's Son.
Originally we were not planning on releasing any mufflers until the end of the month. We were caught off gaurd when our add was in ***boat this month, becuase we were not expecting it to be seen until next month. Not a problem though. As of right now we do have 4" mufflers avalable in stock $499.00.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/55muffler-med.jpg
We are trying to take everyones information down until we can acumilate enough stock to eliminate any back order problems.
We are finishing up our apllication guide as we speek and should have more information with in a week.
Aslo all testing on the bullet mufflers were done the 496, 500HP, & 525. Passed with flying colors. We are doing additional test with 575 which should have results soon.
The Power Curves are a turndown style that directs the exhaust under the water level. This is ideal for big horse power boats that cannont handle back pressure.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/55tip-med.jpg
Every one off our parts has been flow tested on a in house flow bench to ensure maximum flow with no loss of power. I believe this is the key when it comes to designing a straght through design muffler that actually works.
There are also inserts available for the turndowns as well.
Anyone local in the Corona Area is more then welcome to stop on by and check out some of our samples.
Just ask for Shawn and I will help answer any questions.
More pictures to follow :smile:
HDD :cool:

jackpunx
01-21-2005, 10:27 AM
NICE!!
Dont forget to let me know when they are ready Shawn..

BADBLOWN572
01-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Ok, that does make sense. Wouldn't it create a lot of backpressure for the engine and cause it to load up under idle? Are there actually mufflers in the down tubes or are they simply under the water and have the water muffle the sound?
Another quick question, can you put the down tubes on boats with external steering with no stand off box? It would appear to me that the down tubes would hit the steering. I have seen the 39 MTI (SWEET BOAT BTW!) and it works with the stand off boxes, but not sure if the gimbal is bolted directly to the transom.
Are a variety of pipes going to be made in different sizes? I know that I am 4 1/2" out the back right now. Cant seem to get any mufflers due to the sizes.

hot_diggity_dog
01-24-2005, 06:58 AM
Another picture :smile:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/55TransomBullet_black_-med.jpg
HDD :cool:

BADBLOWN572
01-24-2005, 12:49 PM
ttt

ADDICTED
01-25-2005, 02:47 PM
BADBLOWN,
The tips come in diffrent lenghts. 8" drop and a 12" drop. We do have a 4.5" turndown available to. They can be rotated side to side to gain maximum clearance. Unserstandably there are some applications that will not work but they are pretty universal and should work great on your boat. This is probally the route I am going to have to go.
We have some more info now on our site www.gibsonperformance.com on the front homepage towards the bottum. I am working on an e-mail with photos, sizes, specs that I will be able to e-mail tomorow.
Hot diggity taking care of the boys Dog, Thank you!!!!