PDA

View Full Version : Intake replacement cost?

psdperformance
01-19-2005, 12:38 PM
I am new to this forum and to boats. I have a 76 wai kiki day cruiser that was given to me by my father inlaw. It runs great but last summer he hit a stump in lake havasu and hit the intake it knocked off one fin but now it takes on some water. I marine texed the outside to try and stop the leak to use. I have gotten some rough quotes of about $800-$1000 to fix this is to remove and replace intake and to remove pump and reinstall. I was told it originally had a jacuzze pump on it but was replace 2 years ago with an american tubine pump. This will be the second time for replacement of the intake grate. Is this a reasonable price for repair? :eat: How much is a new intake grate? Sorry for such a long post. Owe yeah i will be removing the 455 olds and rebuilding any have to do things to the motor? i want to keep it very reliable.
Thanks

psdperformance
01-19-2005, 12:50 PM
the only thing broken is the fin on the grate other than that it just needs to be re sealed. So i am assuming i need a new grate.

berk
01-19-2005, 07:05 PM
ive read the olds are good but need an oiling problem fixed during rebuild, something to do with the heads not draining oil fast enough at boat rpms i think.

BrendellaJet
01-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Who quoted you that? I was quoted 400 by MPD. That was about a year ago, so adjust for inflation...
With that amount of money you could have a shoe and ride plate too...if you dont already have them...
As for the olds, try a search. Lots of info on those. Ignore the drama. If you want to hot rod it and make it live, better just get a chevy. You'll be better off. For a cruiser, the olds will do if done right.

psdperformance
01-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Who is MPD? and where are they located i would like to talk to them. How hard would it be to replace with a chevy big block? What parts other than motor mounts would i need? how would it mate to the pump? :rollside:

berk
01-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Who is MPD? and where are they located i would like to talk to them. How hard would it be to replace with a chevy big block? What parts other than motor mounts would i need? how would it mate to the pump? :rollside:
thats one of the beauties of jetboats, they can accept any motor! just mount your motor and adapt the driveline with whatever yokes and youre off. also bb chev is probably the most common jet boat motor so its real easy to get going. its probably the best motor too so good choice. i run a sb chev which works too, but doesnt guzzle as much gaz. people run everything from airplane turbines to viper v10.

psdperformance
01-19-2005, 09:39 PM
How does the small block chevy do when or if you have a skier? does it have enough torque and h.p to run good?

Mrs CP 19
01-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Marine Performance Designs 1760 Monrovia, Costa Mesa unit a-7. (949) 631-2040. Jack McClure.

TRG
01-19-2005, 11:30 PM
you could take it to jack and im sure he would take good care of you, but there are also other flavors of "cool-aid" as well like, TPR Tom Papp Racing over by you in corona off of maple right behind ultra boats (in the same building as ultra) dont have his # handy right now but i will post it tomorrow (or call info)!
todd

berk
01-20-2005, 08:44 AM
How does the small block chevy do when or if you have a skier? does it have enough torque and h.p to run good?
small block would work fine for a skier! cmon man its still a big v8! we cant really do it because of the roost in the face. we need a prop boat for skiing i guess. lots or river racers run small blocks, they even have a stock small block class that is very popular due to its affordability and the motors duraility. zz4 350.
mine is actually a 383 stroker, but mild enough to call it a small block still.