PDA

View Full Version : Edelborck Carter Help

Tahiti350
01-19-2005, 05:03 PM
I know this should be in the Tech area, and will post it there also, but I need help dialing in my carb for the new manifold (haven't messed with the Edelbrock/Carter much). I went from an old style Torquer to the Performer RPM, and now I'm way lean on top. Bottom and mid range feel better, but once the secondaries tip in it starts missing and occasionally pops out the carb :mad: . Couldn't get it to pull past 4k rpm on the big prop, 14x21+ S/S, and only to 4,800 on the 14 1/2x19 aluminum.
The rest of the setup is: mostly stock 350 Chev, mild rv type cam, OSO water manifolds running thru the drive, and HEI.
This set-up, with the Torquer, ran to 5,400-5,600 with the big prop 2 years ago, I never got it out last summer (work sucks). Any ideas from the carb guru's?? :confused:

Spotondl
01-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Do you have a needle and spring assortment? Are you happy with your power curve with the exception of the fall off at the top end? Any other flat spots from 1000 to 4000 rpm?

Tahiti350
01-19-2005, 05:19 PM
It feels really good until the secondaries tip in, then just falls apart. Has a minor stumble just off idle if I hammer it hard, but no where near as bad as with the Torquer. Bumping the timing up a couple of degrees pretty well covered that stumble.
If I feed the throttle in smoothly it comes up clean, right to the secondary tip in. I'm thinking I need to richen it a couple of steps, but I haven't messed with the Carter style carbs. Have always run Quadra-jets on the street (lots of parts and pieces for them), and the carter worked pretty well when I got the boat so I just left it alone.

HP350SC
01-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Check for intake leak, spray carb. cleaner around ports on manifold and see if idle raises. How is your valvetrain? Intake valve maybe? If you are sure it's the carb, buy their jet/spring kit which comes with the booklet on how to tune. They are very simple carbs. to make changes on, can be done on the water. Get the biggest accelerator pump they sell, that will cure your off idle stumble. They also sell a larger needle and seat which is good insurance. Good luck. :smile:

Tahiti350
01-19-2005, 06:31 PM
Are there any charts, or any personal recommendations, on where to start change wise? Do the secondaries use metering rods similar to a Q-jet?
Iv'e played with Q-jet's, some Holley's, and a few Autolite's. I guess it's time to learn something new.

Spotondl
01-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Yes, your fuel mixture is controlled with metering rods and springs. Where are you located? What is the altitude you are running? Edelbrock sells a metering rod and spring kit and they are VERY easy to change out... 2 screws on the top of the carb to remove the retaining plates.

Tahiti350
01-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Located near Tacoma Was, adn lake elevation is around 250 ft or so