PDA

View Full Version : Nice day on the lake, sort of....

Tahiti350
01-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Just a short (okay a long) rundown of my afternoon.
I posted last night on the sandbar (the 3 degrees thread0 that I was going to take the boat out today. Well, good to my word, I pulled the boat out and fired it at home (just to make sure), then headed to Spanaway lake, Tacoma Wash, about 2pm (Temp was right at 66 degrees F according to the bank sign), back it down the ramp, and start launching. Now it's been almost 2 years since the boat has been in the water, so I forgot a some things. I remembered all the plugs and drain valves, no problems there, pulled the rear staps before backing in, unhooked the nose strap, pushed it back, and then I remembered what I forgot.
Any one else pushed the boat in and then realized they forgot the launch rope?? So I end up climbing across the trailer in the water (damn that was cold) trying to catch the boat before it clears the back of the trailer, and hoping not to fall in, since there were about 6 people fishing from the dock who were now watching me flounder around.
So, after looking like an rookie, things go a little better. I catch the boat, get the rope out of it, and clip it on, push back, and lead it around to the dock. Go park the truck, load up the wife and kid, and away we go. Idled out of the marina, and make a couple of easy passes to warm everything up, then laid into it. RPM's come up, secondaries tip in, and Pop, pop, pop... out the air cleaner. This sucker isn't running right. narrowed it down to lean carb, swapped on a shorter prop (wife got pic's of me sitting on the transom feet up on the drive swapping prop's), and played with it a little, made a couple of moderate passes, and with the smaller prop it wasn't popping , but still wasn't running right (obviously). I had brought a Holley that I wanted to check out, so I shut down and grab the tools. before I pulled the E-brock, I look at the Holley and realize I I forgot to plug the 1/2" vacumn port at the back. So much for testing the Holley. Once more around the lake, just to run it, and back in to load.
Everything is going okay until I pull up to the dock. As I pull in and shut it off, I realize that the oil press gauge was almost on the low peg at idle. This thing has never had great oil press, but normally about 7-10 psi at idle and 40 cruising. So, now it looks like I get to pull the motor to check the bottom end and probably replace the bearings and pump. I tlak to the wife, and tell her I have to pull the motor, and explain why, I mention that I should also swap out the camshaft, to help it breath, and she says "what's that going to cost?" Quick math, "$250-500, depending on the bearings". She says "Okay". I love my wife!!
Now to load up. when loaded my bow ring has to go over the bow bumper, and rest on the forward side of it. So I pull the boat up and just as I lift to come over the bumper the truck starts creeping back. E-brake is slipping!!! Shit. Push the boat back a little to clear, and run for the truck. Set the brake harder, and put the sucker in low (diesel with a stick) to make sure it doesn't move again. Go back and finally get it loaded, roll out, tie down, and head for the house.
Time spent on the water: 1 1/2 hours :cool:
Time spent looking like a rookie: 30 minutes :frown:
Disappointed it didn't run right: yes :mad:
Overall: priceless :) :rollside:
He!!, it's 66 degrees in the middle of January in Washington, I just spent the afternoon on the lake, in MY boat, with My wife and kid, and she just approve $500 to freshen the bottom end and swap out the cam. Does it get any better than this???

Garrddogg
01-19-2005, 06:30 PM
sounded like a good day!

Sweet Addiction
01-19-2005, 06:34 PM
I would have to approve that you had a good day. First always think that when things go wrong early that its only winter. You would rather things go wrong now and get them fixed than to go out on that nice 90 degree day and find out all those things. Hey I got a larger Rookie mistake for you. On Sunday it was nice, get to the lake everything is ready to go, looking for the keys, Um no keys. Crap there in the other truck. Spent an hour driving for nothing.

Tahiti350
01-19-2005, 06:50 PM
That's what I told the wife, at least I have time to get everything fixed, and it wasn't a weekend outing away from home :boxed: . Fogetting the key would have just frosted me!!. :220v:
I wasn't the only one having problems today, haad one other boat out testing props, went from a 20 pitch tri to a 21 pitch quad, and overheated the motor. :( Had to idle back in and trailer it. Too much prop for the motor. Sounded healthy when he jumped on it the first time, not so good when he came back in. :cry:

BIGCHRIS
01-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Hey man nice to here somebodys making some waves, sounds like u had fun :D

Tahiti350
01-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Would have been more fun if the boat had been running right, adn could have realy laid down a couple of passes. Yeah, I know 70 isn't big numbers, but for what I'm running it aint bad!!

Jbb
01-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Why is the first question always gonna be.....how much is that gonna cost...?... :D

sanger rat
01-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Better day than mine. 10 hrs of driving in snow and ice. :cry: