PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a home theater? Like concert DVD's?

MagicMtnDan
04-19-2006, 10:36 PM
We can talk about best movies in another thread - there are so many but I'm into concert/music DVD's - I enjoy watching them a lot more often than the movies. Here are some I highly recommend:
* Standing in the Shadows of Motown - (The story of the Funk Brothers). This DVD has song after song of great Motown hits and the quality is wonderful. Joan Osborne's "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted" has been praised as the "showstopping highlight" that "brings tears to one’s eyes" in this "soaring" rendition.
* Return of the Champions - Queen + Paul Rodgers (Paul Rodgers does not try and "be Freddy Mercury" - he handles the material beautifully).
* Queen - Live at Wembley Stadium (yes, I really like Queen) - the sound and video are above average and the concert is outstanding - over 120,000 rabid Queen fans watching Freddy and Brian and the boys rock out.
* Supernatural - Santana
* The Strat Pack - Live in Concert (lots of great talents here)
* Live at the Beacon Theater - James Taylor
* Rattle and Hum - U2
* Live from Slane Castle - U2
* One More Car, One More Rider - Eric Clapton (outstanding video and DTS sound)
* Hell Freezes Over - The Eagles (DTS reference recording)
* Live at Donington - AC/DC
* Serious Hits...Live! - Phil Collins

moneypit
04-19-2006, 10:41 PM
"Rush" twin pack dealio.
I also have "Queen".

Tom Brown
04-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Hey MP... are you talking about RUSH in Rio? I have that DVD set and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

yamamoto
04-19-2006, 11:02 PM
I too love music DVD's. My Favorites:
Billy Idol Storytellers (superb recording quality)
Eagles (of course)
I just get pissed when the sound quality is terrible.

moneypit
04-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Hey MP... are you talking about RUSH in Rio? I have that DVD set and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
I cant play it enough. Im a rush fan every week. I got to see them once.

MikeF
04-20-2006, 03:08 AM
This one is one to add to the collection. :cool:
http://www.wemeanbusiness.com/stevieray.jpg

NUTHIN
04-20-2006, 05:46 AM
Pulse-the Division Bell Tour From 1994 Is Awesome... Only Have It On Tape,, Missed The Boat On Getting The Dvd.. Would Buy One If I Could Find It!!!! ????

yamamoto
04-20-2006, 05:50 AM
New Order came out with one with all of their music videos, great quality.

a catered life
04-20-2006, 05:50 AM
We can talk about best movies in another thread - there are so many but I'm into concert/music DVD's - I enjoy watching them a lot more often than the movies. Here are some I highly recommend:
* Standing in the Shadows of Motown - (The story of the Funk Brothers). This DVD has song after song of great Motown hits and the quality is wonderful. Joan Osborne's "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted" has been praised as the "showstopping highlight" that "brings tears to one’s eyes" in this "soaring" rendition.
* Return of the Champions - Queen + Paul Rodgers (Paul Rodgers does not try and "be Freddy Mercury" - he handles the material beautifully).
* Queen - Live at Wembley Stadium (yes, I really like Queen) - the sound and video are above average and the concert is outstanding - over 120,000 rabid Queen fans watching Freddy and Brian and the boys rock out.
* Supernatural - Santana
* The Strat Pack - Live in Concert (lots of great talents here)
* Live at the Beacon Theater - James Taylor
* Rattle and Hum - U2
* Live from Slane Castle - U2
* One More Car, One More Rider - Eric Clapton (outstanding video and DTS sound)
* Hell Freezes Over - The Eagles (DTS reference recording)
* Live at Donington - AC/DC
* Serious Hits...Live! - Phil Collins
the funk brothers and u2 are the only ones i can honestly say i have watched and those are great

NUTHIN
04-20-2006, 06:11 AM
IF YOUR NOT GOING PLASMA--I HIGHLY RECOMEND THE MITSUBISHI 62" OR THE 72" DLP.. $4,700 FOR THE 72" AND THE QUALITY IS BITCHEN!!
MY KIDS KORN DVD EVEN LOOKS GOOD ON IT :)

JustMVG
04-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Have just about every DVD mentioned, may i suggest Government Mule "The Deepest End Live" this is a great jam band which i would like for everyone who likes music and good times check them out and i'm sure you will not be disappointed. Jason from Mettallica steps up and plays a few tunes with the boys...
MVG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/85deepest_end.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/85rising_low.jpg

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
04-20-2006, 07:04 AM
Have just about every DVD mentioned, may i suggest Government Mule "The Deepest End Live" this is a great jam band which i would like for everyone who likes music and good times check them out and i'm sure you will not be disappointed. Jason from Mettallica steps up and plays a few tunes with the boys...
MVG
attta boy.... !!
Dave Matthews at the Gorge is pretty good too..

INSman
04-20-2006, 07:08 AM
Have a ton of them, usually stick to those that have DTS encoding and I play them very loud (Sunfire Cinema Grand, 425wpc x 5 channels)
Toto live in Amsterdam sounds great, both Eagles, Elton John, Matchbox 20 and of course Nickelback live if you can find it.

desertbird
04-20-2006, 07:24 AM
Alice in Chains. Unplugged.
Really good.

Captain Dan
04-20-2006, 07:26 AM
Pulse-the Division Bell Tour From 1994 Is Awesome... Only Have It On Tape,, Missed The Boat On Getting The Dvd.. Would Buy One If I Could Find It!!!! ????
How about Floyd - Live at Pompeii

Jyruiz
04-20-2006, 07:29 AM
Alice in Chains. Unplugged.
Really good.
I was just about to add Alice in Chains till I reread the thread. Metallica S&M is another great one.

Jordy
04-20-2006, 07:29 AM
I picked up the 3 Doors Down "Away From The Sun Live" dvd. It's a Monster Music DVD and is THX encoded. Unbelievable.
I saw Motley Crue's Carnival of Sins concert on HD cable once and it hasn't been back on again. That was a great show and the HD concert footage was outstanding. Figure it would be even better on DVD.

Dave C
04-20-2006, 07:32 AM
crue.... shiat I would love to see that concert.... :mad:
anyone see the velvet revolver on HD cable. :crossx:

INSman
04-20-2006, 07:33 AM
I picked up the 3 Doors Down "Away From The Sun Live" dvd. It's a Monster Music DVD and is THX encoded. Unbelievable.
I saw Motley Crue's Carnival of Sins concert on HD cable once and it hasn't been back on again. That was a great show and the HD concert footage was outstanding. Figure it would be even better on DVD.
The Motley dvd is pretty decent as far as quality, certainly not the best, but it is "The CREW" !! :)

NUTHIN
04-20-2006, 07:34 AM
Pink Floyd - La Carrera Panamericana Also... (the Wall!!??) Classic!
Chains Unplugged Sweet!!!! Lane Had A Voice!!!
River Rats Ii !!!!! Nice!!

deltarat
04-20-2006, 07:38 AM
This one is one to add to the collection. :cool:
http://www.wemeanbusiness.com/stevieray.jpg
DITTO

Jyruiz
04-20-2006, 07:39 AM
If you are looking for very good quality sound, get into multichannel SACD or DVD-Audio, it blows away DTS, DD, and THX.

MagicMtnDan
04-20-2006, 08:31 AM
If you are looking for very good quality sound, get into multichannel SACD or DVD-Audio, it blows away DTS, DD, and THX.
Sure but there's no video with it :rolleyes:
DVD concerts are the best buy - typically less than CD's with great sound and video (shows how overpriced CD's still are).

Jyruiz
04-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Sure but there's no video with it :rolleyes:
DVD concerts are the best buy - typically less than CD's with great sound and video (shows how overpriced CD's still are).
No they don't, but concert DVD's are taped, and not recorded on film like movies, so the video quality is really really poor when transfered over to DVD.

anchorman
04-20-2006, 08:38 AM
My two fav
Dave matthews Band Listener supported and
Peter Gabriel In Milan Italy
Brandon
Also Sting All this time
OOo and John Mayer any given sunday

Todd969
04-20-2006, 08:57 AM
This is truely a musicians band, but try:
Dream Theater scenes from a memory, or live in Japan. These are Berkley school of music Honors grads and are amazing to see live. If you like Rush, Queensryche or any other progressive band, you'll enjoy this.

HOOTER SLED-
04-20-2006, 09:08 AM
I love cranking my Godsmack DVD!!! :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

JMC
04-20-2006, 09:22 AM
David Bowie's REALITY DVD (live concert) and the Best of Bowie (video's not concert) both are good.

PACKERFAN
04-20-2006, 10:05 AM
David Allen Coe live at Billy Bobs Texas. Great DVD.

Jordy
04-20-2006, 10:14 AM
David Allen Coe live at Billy Bobs Texas. Great DVD.
That's gotta be good. Saw him in concert here in Phoenix once, like 12 years ago. Great show!!! :D :D :D

Tom Brown
04-20-2006, 10:15 AM
I cant play it enough. Im a rush fan every week. I got to see them once.
I like to play it while I do my laundry.

JustMVG
04-20-2006, 11:42 AM
PearlJam Live Touring Band 2000, and the Live At The Showbox are must haves for any PJ fan, or Fanny.
And Rock A Bye, you know i gotta put the word out on my boys!!!!! Anaheim WAS KICK ASS!!!!!!!!! U done missed out, but they'll be back we gotta go!!!