PDA

View Full Version : Rewarder or Bassett Headers???

Hondo Jet
08-03-2001, 10:36 AM
I set my 455 olds back in my Hondo when I swapped from a jacuzzi to Berkeley. Now my logs will not work because the risers hit part of the transom. So I think I will buy some headers does anybody have a opinion about the difference between Rewarder and Bassett's quality? Also were is the cheapest place to buy new headers?
Has anyone had this problem after sitting the engine back?

phillyray
08-03-2001, 04:41 PM
I've had 2 sets of Bassetts in the bast 5 years,I think the chrome work is horrible,pits,streaks,light rust between runners.And this is right out of the box!!!I cant belive how someone at quality control could look at these (my pipes)and put them in a box.I've complained to Paul Bassett about the chrome,he told me it was due to the EPA cracking down on the chemicals the chromer can use.Don't know about Rewarder,but how many other choices are there.I just keep finding people to buy my old pipes that don't care about the chrome.

HAVNAFIT
08-03-2001, 05:16 PM
had a set of bassetts on order for 3 weeks at cp, never came in so I called jim at rewarder and he sent them out same day at 4:30 p.m. 3 day ground shipment, UPS was late so I called jim and he did a trace while I was still on phone. said they were on truck and I would have them that day. he was right. great service and the quality looks perfect. no rust or pits and hardware complete. less then 600. for twisties.

77Spectra
08-03-2001, 05:29 PM
got my Bassetts in one week, 3 weeks ago. Look perfect. Send yours back.

nastyhabit
08-03-2001, 06:37 PM
hey havnafit do the rewarders look like bassetts (twisties) havent seen them going to put a new pair on, i have had bassetts since 85 blue black and chrome oooyea rust between the pipes, paul at bassett is a block away from my shop ,i missed him today is the chrome work that bad are rewarders better i dont care about the cost its my baby not like food or house pmnt or somthing

phillyray
08-03-2001, 06:58 PM
Oh sure Paul(nice fella to talk to) said I could send the Headers back, 7-10 days from east coast to west,7-10 days for someone to look at em,7-10 days to get back to me.Summer's only so long here on the east coast!!!...plus I would have to pay for shiping.Don't get me wrong,I have seen real nice Bassett Headers! Just not on my boat.However I do use the free T-shirt to polish them up.

phillyray
08-03-2001, 07:12 PM
Just one more quick note,not boat related forgive me ,about 6 years ago I ordered for my Harley a custom header,also came from the west coast,well the chrome on that also was so-so.And I recall the maker of that header telling me the same thing about Ca. had tough EPA chemical regulations.His other comment was to JUST have it re-chromed out east.That would have turned a 600.00 pipe into a 1200.00 pipe.Oh well.

My Nassty Habit
08-03-2001, 09:45 PM
I have a set of rewarder twist style
and am very happy with them
they have a good thick flange and
heavy gauge piping
also a good coating of chrome

riverlover
08-04-2001, 01:08 AM
I also have low profile Rewarder twisties. They have been on the boat for a long time and they seem to be in excellent shape (no rust).
RL

77Spectra
08-04-2001, 02:28 PM
I bet it would not cost that much to recrome them local.

DickDanger
08-04-2001, 03:19 PM
That really sucks that so many of you have had bad luck with Bassett's. The boat that I have (1977 Bahner) had the original set of headers for 17 years!!! The replacement Bassett's that are on there now look great, are chromed perfectly, and no problems so far. It does sound like a quality control issue at the manufactuers. If so, they really need to re-examine their customer service and manufacturing procedures. Just my 2 cents....-Dick Danger out.

jaqquuuz
08-04-2001, 09:10 PM
I have had them both and I just put a new set of Rewarder thru transon and they are ceramic coated to look like chrome. I had a set over the transon and loved the sound ( but the rangers dont ) I couldn't be happier with the Rewarders nice and quiet until you put the throttle down. As far as service Jim does excellent service and I got mine they day he said I would.

froggystyle
08-05-2001, 08:58 PM
Just to shake it up a little, I had a set of Sanderson's that I really liked a while back, with no chrome issues with them. I just had a new set of Bassett twisties on my Daytona, and they worked and looked great! The Sandersons are way cheaper too. I just wanted the Bassetts this time. (Bigger primaries)