PDA

View Full Version : 460 Ford

SB
05-31-2001, 10:45 AM
I bought a 1978 Biesmeyer 20' for skiing with stock 460 and 750 carb., Berkeley 12JC, A impeller, 50 mph at 4,700 rpm. Homemade oil cooler appears to work, boat gets hot when picking up skiers, and had 1 prev. engine with bad rod. Need new interior and rebuild on motor and jet.
Motor- Would like to stay on reg. gas. Read article on 540 Ford, don't need that much power or gas usage, prefer cheaper option. What if I just do bore, not stroke? What about fuel injection. Where do I get this and Ford parts? Now in FL with warm salt water, considering using water pump, and how much oil cooler do I need?
Jet- No trim on jet, but boat has hand adjustable trim tabs. If I get hydraulic trim tabs, will this work? Stainless impeller expensive, will aggressor impeller hold up in salt?
Interior- Would like white nonskid like on fishing boat, where do I get this?

mister460
05-31-2001, 03:08 PM
Alright, a fellow Fordee! Bore isn't gonna get you much more than 10 extra cubes unless you take the bore out to something extreme like 4.5 inches or something(stock is 4.36). Bore it out just enough to fit new pistons in it and build power elsewhere. Focus on cam and heads. Port the bejeesus out of the exhaust ports! Put a decent cam in it and you'll have plenty of power. All you need to know about salt water is make sure you rinse the hell out of it with fresh water EVERY time you pull it out. You don't NEED an oil cooler but they are nice. Try a good heat exchanger if you don't want to run salt through the block. Good idea! Aluminum impeller? Just lather, rinse, repeat!!!

Teshio
05-31-2001, 05:42 PM
Trim Response:
You must get a drive trim device. Ab Sol Loot Lee! Place Diverter or Trim-A-Just or Jet-O-Vator. I recommend a Place Diverter.

montrone
06-01-2001, 09:10 AM
SB,
mister460 stands correct, when i got my olds 455 it was stock all but being bored .60 over.
but when i took off the smoged J heads it had on it, and but C heads which have bigger valves and a much more of intake, with also putting in a 280 mega cam, and including everything ported and polished, i noticed a big increase in power, and also gained an extra 100 hp just from the heads ported and polished.

YOLOMIC
06-01-2001, 07:52 PM
Hey man, I own a 1989 Lavey with a 460 king cobra and I had a rod knocking at the end of last year. I reasearched the b-jesus out of motors and what to do and nobody could touch the factory when it came to horsepower per dollar. I ended up with an aluminum head 466cu crate motor that makes 560hp on pump gas and is run on the dyno at Ford before it ever was shiped. The bonus...the motor was only $6,000 out the door! Were taking roller motor for 6k..Check your local Ford dealer or fordracing.com for info. My boat is now a legitimate 100mph boat with out nitrous! Have a good one. Originally posted by SB:
I bought a 1978 Biesmeyer 20' for skiing with stock 460 and 750 carb., Berkeley 12JC, A impeller, 50 mph at 4,700 rpm. Homemade oil cooler appears to work, boat gets hot when picking up skiers, and had 1 prev. engine with bad rod. Need new interior and rebuild on motor and jet.
Motor- Would like to stay on reg. gas. Read article on 540 Ford, don't need that much power or gas usage, prefer cheaper option. What if I just do bore, not stroke? What about fuel injection. Where do I get this and Ford parts? Now in FL with warm salt water, considering using water pump, and how much oil cooler do I need?
Jet- No trim on jet, but boat has hand adjustable trim tabs. If I get hydraulic trim tabs, will this work? Stainless impeller expensive, will aggressor impeller hold up in salt?
Interior- Would like white nonskid like on fishing boat, where do I get this?

byronk
06-01-2001, 08:38 PM
100 mph with 560 hp? What kind of hull are you running?
BK

byronk
06-01-2001, 08:41 PM
I know you said its a Lavey but is it a tunnel or v-bottom or? Whats your rpm?