PDA

View Full Version : I got raped today

Nubbs
01-21-2005, 09:59 PM
As part of my "compensation" package at work, the company pays for half of my health insurance premium. The other half comes out of my check. Since it comes out of my check, they take it out before taxes. Well, today we had our yearly open enrollment/policy changes meeting. Before the meeting I was told by our human resources lady that they worked really hard to keep the increases down. Our premium was going to increase by only 6%, but we were adding vision and some other stuff. I thought that was pretty reasonable. So off to the meeting I went. Well, the premiums only went up a couple dollars a month. No big deal. The next topic was the copay. The copay doubled from $10 to $20. That sucked, but it wasn't the end of the world. The vision and the "other stuff" were not great, but not terrible either. So I left the meeting feeling I didn't do too bad. But then I looked over the whole information packet and noticed the 20% copay on all diagnostic testing. Funny how they forgot to go over that. To make a long story short, I get a cat scan every 6 months. All testing was covered in the previous policy, but only 80% is covered in the new policy. This new policy just went from not too bad to terrible. All said and done, it's going to cost me about $1500 out of my pocket per year now. :mad: I would've been better off if they raised my premium $100 a month. At least the premium is taken out before taxes. Sorry for the long rant. Anybody else get raped today too?

HOOTER SLED-
01-21-2005, 10:02 PM
Damn, someone nutted on you and didn't even get you a towel. It's always the fine print stuff that gets overlooked or under mentioned.

Krazy K
01-21-2005, 11:09 PM
I know how you feel. I worked for John Deere and they have some of the best coverage you can imagine. Single male, $15 copay, 100% coverage if using an insystem clinic, about $50/month. First time I ever had this kind of coverage.
100% coverage, MY ASS!!!
Urgent Care bill (in system) $385
amount paid by CIGNA? $0
Diabetes training (referred by CIGNA) $595
amount paid by CIGNA? $about 150
Carpal Tunnel surgery (in system) $1000+
amount paid by CIGNA? all but $60 (only good experience with CIGNA)
CIGNA SUCKS ROTTEN FROMUNDA CHEESE EGGS!
Good thing medical bills don't count on your credit report...

HOOTER SLED-
01-21-2005, 11:18 PM
I know how you feel. I worked for John Deere and they have some of the best coverage you can imagine. Single male, $15 copay, 100% coverage if using an insystem clinic, about $50/month. First time I ever had this kind of coverage.
100% coverage, MY ASS!!!
amount paid by CIGNA? $0
Yea but if you don't pay those bills, they sure as hell WILL count on your credit report.

JustMVG
01-21-2005, 11:20 PM
100% coverage, MY ASS!!!
amount paid by CIGNA? $0
But medicals do count, they do look at them and i can vouch for that, we had to take care of a bunch of unpaid medical stuff that was on our report, we would go to the doctor or the hospital and the insurance would never pay the bills on time to the dr and hosp. so they would bill us for what the insurance is to be paying, and since we were told by the ins. co. we didn't pay them, well we got notice after notice and finally they'd go to collection. Which goes to your credit. Make sure these things get taken care of. Just FYI. MVG

HOOTER SLED-
01-21-2005, 11:23 PM
But medicals do count, they do look at them and i can vouch for that, we had to take care of a bunch of unpaid medical stuff that was on our report, we would go to the doctor or the hospital and the insurance would never pay the bills on time to the dr and hosp. so they would bill us for what the insurance is to be paying, and since we were told by the ins. co. we didn't pay them, well we got notice after notice and finally they'd go to collection. Which goes to your credit. Make sure these things get taken care of. Just FYI. MVG
That's what I meant. I think Krazy was saying that you pay so much, too bad it doesn't reflect as good standing accounts on your credit report. Right Krazy???

Kilrtoy
01-21-2005, 11:24 PM
WOW, that is a .78 cent pay cut up front, sounds chickshit, but that adds up and then the 20 % co pay on the rest of the stuff, is EXTREME. I was just discussing this with the wife tonight, I am so lucky(not trying to rub it in), I am very well taken care off.
That blows what happened to you...

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-21-2005, 11:30 PM
As part of my "compensation" package at work, the company pays for half of my health insurance premium. The other half comes out of my check. Since it comes out of my check, they take it out before taxes. Well, today we had our yearly open enrollment/policy changes meeting. Before the meeting I was told by our human resources lady that they worked really hard to keep the increases down. Our premium was going to increase by only 6%, but we were adding vision and some other stuff. I thought that was pretty reasonable. So off to the meeting I went. Well, the premiums only went up a couple dollars a month. No big deal. The next topic was the copay. The copay doubled from $10 to $20. That sucked, but it wasn't the end of the world. The vision and the "other stuff" were not great, but not terrible either. So I left the meeting feeling I didn't do too bad. But then I looked over the whole information packet and noticed the 20% copay on all diagnostic testing. Funny how they forgot to go over that. To make a long story short, I get a cat scan every 6 months. All testing was covered in the previous policy, but only 80% is covered in the new policy. This new policy just went from not too bad to terrible. All said and done, it's going to cost me about $1500 out of my pocket per year now. :mad: I would've been better off if they raised my premium $100 a month. At least the premium is taken out before taxes. Sorry for the long rant. Anybody else get raped today too?
You need a government job........ :cry:
I don't think you belong in the private sector........ :argue:
How about the supermarket.....full bennies for 20 hrs a week......
Sorry.....small business owner talking....... :rolleyes:
Want troubles.....My general liability (GL) quadrupled last year and my medical went up 20%......no dental & no vision.....
Employers can't pay for it all anymore....those days are gone in the private sector.....
Sad.....but true !!!!!
Later,
CJG
:cool:

Kilrtoy
01-21-2005, 11:38 PM
I agree small business 10, 15 maybe 50 employees, yeah that can be taxing. but at what point do the workers have to suffer at the employers ability to pay or not.....

HOOTER SLED-
01-21-2005, 11:43 PM
I agree small business 10, 15 maybe 50 employees, yeah that can be taxing. but at what point do the workers have to suffer at the employers ability to pay or not.....
We're about 100 strong and we felt the hike this past year. Fortunate for me I'm in management and was given a higher allowance for benefits and ended up spending a little less per month.

Kilrtoy
01-21-2005, 11:50 PM
So the work horse's, the gruts, got boned is what you are saying.............

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-21-2005, 11:53 PM
Medical benefits are not an employees right.....Their a perk.....
I know a bunch of places that don't offer any coverage to the employees....
All you need is workmans comp.....
If you don't like the package.....brush up your resume.....
I'm luckey I can still provide OK medical.....
But it's gonna' get a bunch worse before it get's better....If it ever does get better....
Gotta get rid of the lawsuit BS in the system...
CJG

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-22-2005, 12:01 AM
So the work horse's, the gruts, got boned is what you are saying.............
Kilr....
Don't give me that...."Your only workin' if your swinging a hammer crap"....
You get "Boned" if your the lowest....most expendible.....non-profitable......non-necessary.... guy or gal on the rung.....
That goes for sales & management as well.......Hell....there usually the first....
CJG

Kilrtoy
01-22-2005, 12:11 AM
But it's gonna' get a bunch worse before it get's better....If it ever does get better....
CJG
This is very true, sad but true, i will agree Cali does make it VERY expensive to run a company here.
My company pays 5.65 an hour for my benefits, and I AM DAMN GLAD AND VERY THANKFUL

Rexone
01-22-2005, 12:47 AM
Sorry.....small business owner talking....... :rolleyes:
Want troubles.....My general liability (GL) quadrupled last year and my medical went up 20%......no dental & no vision.....
Employers can't pay for it all anymore....those days are gone in the private sector.....
Sad.....but true !!!!!
Later,
CJG
Man I hear ya on that. More premium, less benefits from ins co's each year. And don't forget our favorite.... workman's comp.

rvrpig
01-22-2005, 02:30 AM
I guess I am glad that my company has great insurance. $15 dollar co pay. $100 a month that just started last year. Before that nothing came out of our pocket. That includes medical dental and vision. If I am in a provider hospital the insurance pays 100%. Out or network they pay 80%.
The year before last I was flown from Needles to Vegas for arm and facial burns and the insurance paid 100%. That was $16,782.00 They never even questioned the bill. Just paid me the money and I sent the flight company a personal check. :clover:

Blacksheep
01-22-2005, 03:04 AM
Nubbs, look into a Flex Spending Account (FSA) for your medical costs. It still comes out of your pocket, but the money is taken out before taxes so you will reduce your taxable income. At a minimum, atleast you save some money there. The only catch is, don't take out too much because if you don't use it by the end of the year, you lose it.
Just a thought for ya.

v-drive
01-22-2005, 06:14 AM
That sucks Nubbs but it looks like everyone except the people in DC are in the same boat. The insurance companys blame the doctors and lawyers, The doctors blame the lawyers and insurance company's. The lawyers don't care because they are getting paid no matter what. The entire healthcare system is broken and it is going to get worse until it is run by the government and then even the lawyers will be getting screwed.
:coffeycup :coffeycup v-drive

framer1
01-22-2005, 06:22 AM
That sucks Nubbs but it looks like everyone except the people in DC are in the same boat. The insurance companys blame the doctors and lawyers, The doctors blame the lawyers and insurance company's. The lawyers don't care because they are getting paid no matter what. The entire healthcare system is broken and it is going to get worse until it is run by the government and then even the lawyers will be getting screwed.
:coffeycup :coffeycup v-drive
I don't know of anything the government runs that doesn't have a ton of waste, I can't believe you want to give them control of the entire health system :yuk:

Desert Rat
01-22-2005, 06:41 AM
Best rephrase and say a State gov job because the medical that the Fed Gov offer SUCKS :mad: . We use the Insurance that is offered through my wifes company (Costco) which really takes care of their employees. Well for the time being anyway, i'm sure as soon as the founder/#1 share holder moves on it will go through the roof too.

KingCole
01-22-2005, 06:58 AM
It blows me away that people think they are getting screwed when their employer doesn't pay "more" into their medical ins., which is a bonus or perk, however you look at it. It's not the employeers responsiablity, or the employee's right to get med. ins. If you don't like your deal and can get a better one, than get out. I'm in the construction industry and very few co. offer "any" medical ins. to their workers. The cost of doing business in CA. is extremly high. Try being on the other end of it and paying some sorry unapperciative workers ins. out of your co.'s profit and you would see thing a little different.

Mrs.Racer277
01-22-2005, 07:15 AM
I feel your pain. For full benefits my husbands company went from about $140.00 a month to over $350.00 a month. And that is just for the two of us. So now we have just my insurance which is a HMO. Sucks. :(

totenhosen
01-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Nubbs, look into a Flex Spending Account (FSA) for your medical costs. It still comes out of your pocket, but the money is taken out before taxes so you will reduce your taxable income. At a minimum, atleast you save some money there. The only catch is, don't take out too much because if you don't use it by the end of the year, you lose it.
Just a thought for ya.
I'm surprised no one else mentioned this. This is a great option for people such as yourself that know x amount per year will be spend on medical items out of pocket. If you do have money leftover at the end of the year I beleive the program covers basic items such as headache pills, contraceptives etc.

Clown Midgets
01-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Kilr....
Don't give me that...."Your only workin' if your swinging a hammer crap"....
You get "Boned" if your the lowest....most expendible.....non-profitable......non-necessary.... guy or gal on the rung.....
That goes for sales & management as well.......Hell....there usually the first....
CJG
Very well put. :idea:
The day of companys paying for insurance is coming to an end. The reason why you have less benefits is because the compny probably got a quote that was almost double for the same coverage you had.
2 years ago our Insurance(and I work for a large company) went from (386 )per month for a family to (713). IM thankful that the company absorbed 1/2 or I would have been screwed.

a catered life
01-22-2005, 08:20 AM
government job :frown: got one not much better our raise this year was a 0% out of the pocket co pay from us :cool: sounds good right. yea right :2purples: that contract only last one year so next year watch them claim that the rate went up and now we will have to pay half fr the benefits that means the so called raise is gone and now my check will be smaller cause i will half to pay for half of my benefits. now that sucks :hammer2:

OutCole'd
01-22-2005, 08:20 AM
CJG
Could not agree more. Seems like employees think they are chained to their job. If you don't like the bene's or pay, send out that resume.
The grass is always greener. Just ask that employee that just quit at the company your looking at going to.
Or better yet, start your own biz. It's real easy to succeed, Just look at the stats. Almost every small company makes it. :rolleyes:

INSman
01-22-2005, 08:24 AM
To expand a bit on what others had mentioned, kindly ask your company to implement or expand thier (Section 125 Plan) to include "unreimbursed" medical expenses and "childcare" expenses. These are voluntary deductions that are taken out of your check "pre-tax" based upon a "use it or lose it" limit that you determine, based upon plan maximums. The max for the childcare is $5k per year, unreimbursed medical which can cover a host of things like medical, dental, and vision co-pays, deductibles, prescriptions, etc. is usually is capped by the employer at $2k, so people don't get too pissed by "over-estimating" their out of pocket expenses for the year and not being able to recover them from the plan deductions.
This is also a "win" for the employer, as it reduces their taxable wages, which in turn reduces Workers' Comp premiums, FICA and FUTA taxes.

Mandelon
01-22-2005, 08:59 AM
I own a construction company. I think we have 10 or 11 employees. I could afford to pay medical on the guys if we could do away with workers' comp..... :idea: Or maybe if my liability insurance hadn't gone from $6000 a year to $32,000 a year for less coverage....

ECeptor
01-22-2005, 09:49 AM
More cost, less coverage. Who is winning here? Owners? Workers? Nope.
The lawyers and doctors are winning....and winning big. Although I'm not a fan of more government, something has do be done to limit the size of court rulings and to limit what Dr's can charge for their services.
Hell, maybe I should just join 'um by going back to school for a law degree...

rrrr
01-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Insurance costs are killing me. We have 11 employees and spent over $250K on GL, WC, and health last year.

Krazy K
01-22-2005, 11:45 AM
That's what I meant. I think Krazy was saying that you pay so much, too bad it doesn't reflect as good standing accounts on your credit report. Right Krazy???
I had heard that even though medical goes on your credit report, it doesn't count in the way of renting an apartment or buying a house. They don't hold the same stigma as, say, a defaulted loan? I've got a credit union loan that is still open for about $4200 that I am paying just over $200/month for. I have to keep that up because Dad cosigned for it.

INSman
01-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Sounds like you need a new broker :idea:
Insurance costs are killing me. We have 11 employees and spent over $250K on GL, WC, and health last year.

Nubbs
01-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks for all the info on the fsa stuff. I never heard of that, but I'm gonna check into it come Monday morning. I'd rather pay pre-tax money than out of pocket money. I know I can leave if I don't like it and I know that I don't have a right to insurance either. However, when I hired on, I negociated a compensation package based on a certain insurance policy. With the policy changes for this year, effectively, I got a $2300 paycut.

v-drive
01-22-2005, 07:29 PM
I don't know of anything the government runs that doesn't have a ton of waste, I can't believe you want to give them control of the entire health system :yuk:
I just re read my post and I don't see where I said that I wanted the government to run healthcare. I believe I said that is the way it will end up.
v-drive

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-22-2005, 07:36 PM
I just re read my post and I don't see where I said that I wanted the government to run healthcare. I believe I said that is the way it will end up.
v-drive
Government healthcare will never work.....
It doesn't work in Canada & England.......
It is just impossible to take care of everyone.....
:squiggle:

Wicky
01-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Please don't get me going....lol.
Wicky

ROZ
01-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Hey Nubs...If you itemize your deductions, besure to keep all receipts from out of pocket medical expenses...

Buster
01-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Boy this hit's close to home for me. I employ 250 people and just went through the rollout of new insurance. Here are some stat's, we pay almost 80% of the cost for each employee and 75% of dependants. Last year we spent 1.7mil (yes dollars) on our portion of the premiums. Our costs went up by over 20% from last year and will continue to rise.
During the open enrollment people still complained they had to pay $6 to $10 more per week.
My point is that this is all over ever paper and news show. Why are people complaining about it. Most here have said that allot of companies don't even provide healthcare. If you got it, you need to see this as the benefit (perk) that it is. It is a benefit!!!!
I am thanksful we are able to provide a good health care program to our employees. There are many companies that just can't afford it and stay in business.

HOOTER SLED-
01-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Boy this hit's close to home for me. I employ 250 people and just went through the rollout of new insurance. Here are some stat's, we pay almost 80% of the cost for each employee and 75% of dependants. Last year we spent 1.7mil (yes dollars) on our portion of the premiums. Our costs went up by over 20% from last year and will continue to rise.
During the open enrollment people still complained they had to pay $6 to $10 more per week.
My point is that this is all over ever paper and news show. Why are people complaining about it. Most here have said that allot of companies don't even provide healthcare. If you got it, you need to see this as the benefit (perk) that it is. It is a benefit!!!!
I am thanksful we are able to provide a good health care program to our employees. There are many companies that just can't afford it and stay in business.
The problem is, is the average employee NEVER sees the costs incurred by their employer. They're are mainly concerned with what dollars effect their paycheck. As a member of management, I've seen the figures. I have a better understanding of what my company pays to provide this benefit. It's just that. A benefit. There is power in numbers. Obviously, the larger the company, the better the buying power. It's inevitable that the average employee is gonna be hit harder by higher premiums. Thus their tendency to bitch and complain.

canuck1
01-23-2005, 12:04 AM
Government healthcare will never work.....
It doesn't work in Canada & England.......
It is just impossible to take care of everyone.....
:squiggle:
????????? seems to work just fine here

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-23-2005, 12:19 AM
????????? seems to work just fine here
For all 32 Million of you.......
We have that many in California.......
And....what's your friggin tax rate 40%....
No thanks....
CJG

Midlife Advantage
01-23-2005, 12:34 AM
This is very true, sad but true, i will agree Cali does make it VERY expensive to run a company here.
My company pays 5.65 an hour for my benefits, and I AM DAMN GLAD AND VERY THANKFUL
there ya go, finally someone who can see the reality. We are very proud to provide health insurance, but it is still a perk, still expensive, and good god a pain in the ass.

Midlife Advantage
01-23-2005, 12:37 AM
unfortunately, your profound wisdom here cannot be understood by most of the people that we refer to as the "employee mentality" - sorry folks, but its a dividing line that is real, and a harsh understanding to grasp. the simple numbers are never seen until you own a business.

canuck1
01-23-2005, 12:37 AM
Tax rate is not 40%
Health insurance cost me less than $150 a month for a family of 4
I don't have to go bankrupt if I end up in the hospital
So answer me a question, If you make 10 grand a month what would you take home?

canuck1
01-23-2005, 12:43 AM
So using Kilrs numbers, it costs his employers almost a thousand dollars a month for his insurance based on a 40 hr week, sounds like he is very lucky

Buster
01-23-2005, 12:53 AM
unfortunately, your profound wisdom here cannot be understood by most of the people that we refer to as the "employee mentality" - sorry folks, but its a dividing line that is real, and a harsh understanding to grasp. the simple numbers are never seen until you own a business.
Funny you say that.. We were going to share the numbers with everyone but decided not to because we have offices in four states and did not want to open up a whole new can of worms. You know, different rates and plans in other states..

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-23-2005, 12:59 AM
Take home pay is not the issue.....
The issue is medical insurance...
I don't know where you live in Canada, but I have quite a few customers in "The Great White North"...... Most of them say that they pay out of their pocket to go to the Doctor or to have certian procedures done as the wait is too long and the quality of the care sucks.....
Socialized medicine for a cold or physical....yes.......For the rest of life.....No Thanks.......
When people think its "FREE".....and forget it comes out of there taxes.....Then they abuse it....Go to the Doctor for everything, which loads the system down......
I don't want the "Low Bid Doctor"......or the socialized medicine Doctor.....
All of my family still lives in England......Everyone one of them say it SUCKS !!!!
The mentality is....."Why put money into the OAP's...old-age-pentioners....Their just gonna' die soon......NO Thanks !!!! They wait forever for minor tests & such.....
Lastly, you don't have the illegal immigrant shit as bad as we do.......
It's bad enough the we are losing ER's due to the illegals here in LA.... Can you imagine the mad house we'd have if it was "FREE"......free to them that is..
Yikes!!
We are never gonna' be able to feed, house & medically treat everyone......sorry.....it's not the governments job.....
To defend the Country and provide a basic infastructure is all we need.....
Then stay the hell out of the way......
Christ!!!.....we'll end up like Sweden......75% tax rate......
Great !!!!
CJG
:notam:

Midlife Advantage
01-23-2005, 01:04 AM
I don't know where you live in Canada, but I have quite a few customers in "The Great White North"...... Most of them say that they pay out of their pocket to go to the Doctor or to have certian procedures done as the wait is too long and the quality of the care sucks.....
Socialized medicine for a cold or physical....yes.......For the rest of life.....No Thanks.......
When people think its "FREE".....and forget it comes out of there taxes.....Then they abuse it....Go to the Doctor for everything, which loads the system down......
All of my family still lives in England......Everyone one of them say it SUCKS !!!!
The mentality is....."Why put money into the OAP's...old-age-pentioners....Their just gonna' die soon......NO Thanks !!!! They wait forever for minor tests & such.....
It's bad enough the we are losing ER's due to the illegals here in LA.... Can you imagine the mad house we'd have if it was "FREE"......free to them that is..
Yikes!!
We are never gonna' be able to feed, house & medically treat everyone......sorry.....it's not the governments job.....
Great !!!!
CJG
Bravo brutha! its too simple for most simple folk to understand. OOPS, thats me being me again, sorry.

ROZ
01-23-2005, 01:05 AM
.what's your friggin tax rate 40%....No thanks....
What tax bracket is a person who has a gross of 350k per year?
Not to mention all of the federal income taxes and attatchments, state income tax, and tax on the taxed money we spend... Sometimes I think they have it waaaay better...

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-23-2005, 01:07 AM
In the US....I would hope not more than 28%....
That's all it would be in my world.....
:rolleyes:

Midlife Advantage
01-23-2005, 01:10 AM
Not to mention all of the federal income taxes and attatchments, state income tax, and tax on the taxed money we spend... Sometimes I think they have it waaaay better...
Roz, you get my PM today?

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-23-2005, 01:14 AM
Well......
I WISH everyone here paid a 20% flat tax.....
From the Compton, crack *****, baby makin' machine......to Bill Gates.....
I take that back.....Bill Gates shouldn't have to pay a dime in taxes.....
Look at the jobs, employee income tax, sales tax, international trade....ect....
He's tax free......
Later,
CJG
:)

ROZ
01-23-2005, 01:15 AM
In the US....I would hope not more than 28%....
It doesn't stop at 28%.... :(

ROZ
01-23-2005, 01:17 AM
Roz, you get my PM today?
Yup, I pm'd you back... I can call you tomorrow if you like?

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-23-2005, 01:18 AM
It doesn't stop at 28%.... :(
No......I know that.......
Don't get me started on vehicle reg, sales tax again & again on the same car or boat sold 10 different times, luxury tax.......it's BS.....
C'mon.....$400....$500.....$900......a year for auto reg ????....WTF !!!!!
CJG
:hammerhea

Midlife Advantage
01-23-2005, 01:22 AM
Yup, I pm'd you back... I can call you tomorrow if you like?
sure, I went to Al and Eds and Transonics today (thread robber)

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-23-2005, 01:24 AM
Nite Boys.... :sleeping:

Midlife Advantage
01-23-2005, 01:25 AM
Don't get me started on vehicle reg, sales tax again & again on the same car or boat sold 10 different times, luxury tax.......it's BS.....
CJG
Thats my brutha! best on his soapbox, damn! go boy! no really, listen carefully people, here is the voice of reality, not idealism and dreams.

Midlife Advantage
01-23-2005, 01:25 AM
Nite Boys.... :sleeping:
OH NO YOU DONT BITCH!

canuck1
01-23-2005, 01:35 AM
CJG
I pay $68.00

Midlife Advantage
01-23-2005, 01:38 AM
I pay $68.00
WHAT, on a go-cart?

canuck1
01-23-2005, 01:42 AM
Yikes!!
Great !!!!
CJG
I typed out a long reply to this but somehow I lost it. So we will just agree to disagree

canuck1
01-23-2005, 01:50 AM
WHAT, on a go-cart?
registration
04 dually is $68.00
03 pick up is 68.00
02 TJ is 68.00
01 Cherokee is 68.00
70 pontiac is 68.00
67 z is 68.00
trailers are a one time of $30 something
I think my total auto ins bill was around $4000.00 this year, maybe 4500 with the boat,

INSman
01-23-2005, 08:31 AM
I forgot to add that whatever expenses you incur out of your own pocket, you put in a very simple claim form and get the cash back direct, subject to your plan maximums. It is almost like a small profit center for the expenses you KNOW that you are going to have.
Thanks for all the info on the fsa stuff. I never heard of that, but I'm gonna check into it come Monday morning. I'd rather pay pre-tax money than out of pocket money. I know I can leave if I don't like it and I know that I don't have a right to insurance either. However, when I hired on, I negociated a compensation package based on a certain insurance policy. With the policy changes for this year, effectively, I got a $2300 paycut.

INSman
01-23-2005, 08:38 AM
You are VERY generous to be contributing that high on the "Dependent" coverage, as I work for a large publicly-traded company, am in the insurace business and they only pay for a % of me the employee on the cheapest plan offered.
What we usually do for our clients like you to garner some appreciation from those employees that still like to complain about the increases, is provide them with a "Hidden Paycheck" report that outlines everything that your company pays for on their behalf that is in some form of benefit. This shows the employee what they are really making in the form of wages that they are not paying for, but you as the employer are. EE's to often get caught up in what they are making on their check, just the simple take home dollars and that is about where it stops for most.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-23-2005, 10:55 PM
I typed out a long reply to this but somehow I lost it. So we will just agree to disagree
Agreed.....
Thanks for the debate..... ;)
CJG

Nubbs
01-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Well, I asked about the FSA today. Of course, my company doesn't offer an FSA. Any other ideas?
Thanks

INSman
01-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Well, I asked about the FSA today. Of course, my company doesn't offer an FSA. Any other ideas?
Thanks
Just a modified (Section 125) plan will do. What part of saving money on Work Comp premiums along with Employer FICA and FUTA taxes did they not understand ?? Ask them kindly to get a real broker, as we do this and more for our clients every day. How many employees does your firm have and in what states ??

Nubbs
01-25-2005, 06:54 AM
Insman,
I don't know what they don't understand. We have about 200 employees. Check your pm.
Nubbs

INSman
01-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Insman,
I don't know what they don't understand. We have about 200 employees. Check your pm.
Nubbs
I checked the PM's and have already responded. Look forward to helping solve the problem.

Up 4 River
01-25-2005, 02:56 PM
Setting up a section 125 plan should not be that difficult for the company you work and it's fairly easy to administer. I have set them up for companies in the past with far smaller work forces when we roll out their benefits package and most owners grasp the concept and like it. Like INSman it is a benefit to the owner because of the cost savings and the taxes they will not have to pay.

Coleitis22
01-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Welcome to the world of Caleeforneeeugh Business 101. Govenor Awnold, has not developed reform of the workers comp insurance plan. Ergo, companies have to cut benefits to pay the workers comp premiums. I own a pizza business. :cry: My workers comp rates went from $625.00/month to $1700/month. My friend owns a Convalescent Hospital and his rates are $26,000/month. Keep your resume current and your skills sharp. Start negotiating performance increases and for insurance in the event of market dips negotiate a severance package. When the going get tough, the employees get screwed. Good luck. Bill

OutCole'd
01-25-2005, 03:35 PM
When the going get tough, the employees get screwed. Good luck. Bill
Are you serious? What about the employer that is paying 26K a month for insurance? That's not getting screwed?

Nubbs
01-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Well, after way too many phone calls to the insurance broker, blue cross, the health care provider and anybody else related to the insurance, I got a piece of decent news. The "contracted" rates the insurance companies pay are way (and I mean way) less than the billed rates. I can't believe how much less the companies pay. Anyways, my out of pocket cost will be much less than the anticipated $1500 I was thinking. It still sucks, but it's not as bad as I thought. Thanks to all those that replied.
Nubbs