PDA

View Full Version : 16' 1972 Biesemeyer handling problem

M.D. Morgan
06-11-2001, 09:14 PM
I bought a 16' '72 Biesemeyer with a BB chevy and a Jac jet. Lots of fun and tons of power, the problem is that past about 35mph (guessing) I can't get the thing to go in a straight line. There is nothing wierd I can see with the hull, the skeg in the center of the boat not bent or out of alignment, the ride plates are flat and seem to be at the same angle side to side.
What it does is either violently hook, usually to the right, or I'm steering almost lock to lock trying to go straight and have to get my foot out of it.
Anybody got any ideas or heard of anyone having a similar problem?

SoggyJet
06-12-2001, 07:52 AM
Hey MD,
You did not say how the boat was riding, is the bow down or up? I am guessing that as you exceed 35 that the bow goes down so the whole keel is in the water leading to something I have heard called bow steer. I had this problem with an 18ft Sidewinder, got hard to control when I went over 37 or so. Solution in my case was to get a Place Diverter so I could trim the bow back up. You want to lift the bow up so so only the back part of the boat is touching the water.
The reason the bow goes down in the first place could be for a couple of reasons. First is the hull might have a hook near the stern, acting like trim tabs in the down position. Second is the weight distribution in the boat.
In case you are new to jets, a Place Diverter is an up down nozzle to give you power trim capability.
Hope this helps. Doug

M.D. Morgan
06-12-2001, 09:07 AM
Doug:
The bow seems to be up....but maybe it isn't enough. I have a diverter on my Omega 21 and have thought about putting one on the Biesemeyer...what do you think about adjusting the ride plates to an upward angle rather than even with the hull as they are now?
M.D.

SoggyJet
06-13-2001, 04:13 AM
MD,
I don't have any personal experience with ride plates, but have read that the typical setting is 4-5 deg up from the keel line.
Have someone watch the boat from shore or another boat as you drive. Have them tell you how the boat is riding and if it changes as you cross 35 mph mark. Take video if you can, then look at the way it rides. I think that the pros suggest the wetted surface should only be the back third of the boat.
If it is going bow down or too much hull is wetted, then try bringing up the ride plate a little.
Doug