PDA

View Full Version : speedo pickup broken

speedaddict
01-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Hello,
The hydro just bought has a metal pickup tube on the trailing edge of the rudder.. The lower half is still there, but about half way up the rudder, it's snapped off. Is ther a replacement pickup tube I can weld on that you're aware of, or do I have to scab a metal tube onto it? Thanks,
Bryan

fastvdriver
01-22-2005, 09:39 PM
that is more than likely not a speedo pick up but a water pick up for the motor. Rembemer that the lowest thing in the water at the back of a hydro is the ruddar so that would have to be for the motor. That is if you are running water to the motor?

EXTREMEBOATS
01-22-2005, 09:43 PM
What is the rudder made of ?stainless? or molly? You could go down to your local steel supplier and match the tube .Cut off old one weld on the new one. If you need more details or other help give me a shout.

speedaddict
01-22-2005, 09:46 PM
thanks.. but I'm pretty sure it's for the speedo. I't only about 1/8" diameter, and the stub for the speedo tube is sticking out the back of the transom not connected to anything. The boat has 2 -10 or so size engine water pickups on the bottom of the hull just forward of the prop. It's a ski hydro, so I don't know that it would ever blow the rear.. if I do make enough power to do that, I suppose I'll need to go a little lower to get water.

speedaddict
01-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Hi Extreme.. That's pretty much what' I'm thinking... It's a round tube flattened to about 1/8" width. The only thing is that it and the rudder were chromed. I think I'll just grind off the remaining weld holding this one on, weld on a new pipe, and paint it silver for the time being.. don't really feel like pulling the rudder to have it rechromed