PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone service in the mountains?

Krazy K
01-23-2005, 01:09 AM
As some of you may know, I'm moving down that way to continue schooling at San Bernadino Valley. I'm going to be living up in Crestline, and I'll have a land line. Can any of you recommend a good cell provider that will work up in the mountains and down the hill?? I'm with T-Mobile right now, which is Cingular down there because that is what comes on the phone when i fly down. I'm looking to stay at about $40/month......plus SALES TAX!!! I haven't paid sales tax in 7 years!!

Midlife Advantage
01-23-2005, 01:12 AM
As some of you may know, I'm moving down that way to continue schooling at San Bernadino Valley. I'm going to be living up in Crestline, and I'll have a land line. Can any of you recommend a good cell provider that will work up in the mountains and down the hill?? I'm with T-Mobile right now, which is Cingular down there because that is what comes on the phone when i fly down. I'm looking to stay at about $40/month......plus SALES TAX!!! I haven't paid sales tax in 7 years!!
what ever you do, dont get Nextel. dont quote me.

a catered life
01-23-2005, 04:22 AM
what ever you do, dont get Nextel. dont quote me.
lol i agree no nextel :yuk: but verzion is pretty good :smile:

Flying Tiger
01-23-2005, 07:14 AM
I work all over the place up there in rural areas and Nextell with a Motorolla phone seems to be pretty good.
I also have AT&T (now Cingular) that works for me.
What ever service the CHP has a contract(s) with is usually the best in rural areas.

Outnumbered
01-23-2005, 10:38 AM
I used to live in Lake Arrowhead. ATT and Verizon are the best. Nextel does not work up there very well. Regardless of carrier, there are dead spots. The service is very hit and miss and if you have to rely on your cell I would choose another area.
Just an FYI, commuting off the mountain blows. Be sure you know what you are getting yourself into. After the last storms 3 of the 4 main routes in and out were closed for quite a while.
Also, be aware that the crime rate in Crestline is th highest on the mountain (although still much better than San Bernardino). There are some great neighborhoods there but the areas near (west of) the village and VOE are tweaker infested. Just pick up the Mountain News/Crestline Courrier and read the police call lists if they still publish them.
Hope I didn't offend anyone. Just giving a fellow HB member a heads-up.
OL

FRENCHIE
01-23-2005, 10:40 AM
lately service just plain sucks!! :hammer2: :confused:

Krazy K
01-23-2005, 11:26 AM
I used to live in Lake Arrowhead. ATT and Verizon are the best. Nextel does not work up there very well. Regardless of carrier, there are dead spots. The service is very hit and miss and if you have to rely on your cell I would choose another area.
Just an FYI, commuting off the mountain blows. Be sure you know what you are getting yourself into. After the last storms 3 of the 4 main routes in and out were closed for quite a while.
Also, be aware that the crime rate in Crestline is th highest on the mountain (although still much better than San Bernardino). There are some great neighborhoods there but the areas near (west of) the village and VOE are tweaker infested. Just pick up the Mountain News/Crestline Courrier and read the police call lists if they still publish them.
Hope I didn't offend anyone. Just giving a fellow HB member a heads-up.
OL
I'm actually going to be living just NE of Lake Gregory. My aunt has lived up there for about 5 years now and she says that the commute isn't bad down the mountain, alas for these last storms. I don't really have much choice at the moment where I live. It's either Crestline or Vegas living with a cousin of mine. I don't make the big bucks. :frown: