PDA

View Full Version : Off topic, window tinting

phebus
01-23-2005, 10:02 AM
The windows in my home were tinted (actually a vey thin protective film) when the house was new. Now, 12 years later, some of the window film is starting to distort and wrinkle. Short of just scraping it off with a razor blade, does anyone know of a process that will make removal easier.
Thanks

upsman105
01-23-2005, 10:03 AM
razor blade is the only way, keep them wet while you do it, that will help.

HOOTER SLED-
01-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Break the glass, that will take it off real quick. :D

Kilrtoy
01-23-2005, 10:06 AM
You beat me too it H.S.

HOOTER SLED-
01-23-2005, 10:13 AM
You beat me too it H.S.
Hey phebus, I think the installers use like soapy water in a spray bottle when they're applying it to help them slide it around. Then they squeegee it out and let it dry. I may be wrong, but maybe this will help free it up. Try to use one of those razor blade holders(like you use when scraping paint). It will be easier on the hands and will give you better leverage and umff when doing it.

Dusty Times
01-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Window cleaner with amonia will penetrate and releas the glue. The film will almost slide off after that.
Use alot to make sure it soaks in.

RP1
01-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Window cleaner with amonia will penetrate and releas the glue. The film will almost slide off after that.
Use alot to make sure it soaks in.
This, along with a razor blade is the easiest way to remove it. Unfortunately it is time consuming. Just get yourself a few chillies ready and know that you'll be there awhile. :D

uvindex
01-23-2005, 10:43 AM
I just removed some tinting film from a car and I did some research on the Internet first. Here's what worked for me:
(1) Use straight ammonia in a spray bottle (you can buy ammonia at the grocery store).
(2) It's easier if the film is warm or hot, so do it when the sun has been warming the windows, if possible, or use a hair dryer to heat the film.
(3) Change the razor blade often.
(4) When you're done, you're still going to have gum on the window -- use 00 steel wool (you can get it at Home Depot) and Goo-Gone to get the gum off.
(5) There's actually two layers of film -- when you're starting an edge, try to get both layers to come off at the same time, otherwise it is a lot more work (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't).
(6) Coldies are a good idea when doing this project. :boxed:
Good luck!

Froggystyle
01-23-2005, 10:46 AM
A steamer like you would use for your cloths works well. I just did this in the Vette, and the back window is a nightmare.

phebus
01-23-2005, 10:51 AM
O.K. so far here is my parts list:
Beer
ammonia
Beer
razor blades
Beer
more razor blades
Beer
Stitches!!

Mike67rs
01-23-2005, 10:59 AM
Get "prep-All" or similar grease/adhesive/wax remover (or goof off..expensive) to remove the glue residue.
and more beer.

RP1
01-23-2005, 12:50 PM
O.K. so far here is my parts list:
Beer
ammonia
Beer
razor blades
Beer
more razor blades
Beer
Stitches!!
You have it all figured out Rick. Now get to work on the beer and the tint will follow :D