PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use a Powertrax no slip?

roostwear
01-23-2005, 10:44 PM
I need to put a locker in the roadster, but a Detroit locker is too harsh for a 1600# vehicle. I've been reading about the Powertrax NoSlip, and it seems to be smoother engaging and disengaging that A DL. Anyone have one? Making a left turn when I bang 2nd gear is a little too hairy, and with a little more HP, it'll only be worse without a locker.

Perfect Mixer
01-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Installed a couple of them. One was a 70 Monte Carlo SS, the other was a jeep CJ5. Seemed to work well on the Monte. The jeep would lock up and jump alot during sharp turns. They are noisey when turning though. Might have just been because of the short wheelbase though.

Drunk tank
01-23-2005, 11:30 PM
theyre real nice offroad.... but I would run one behind a high HP engine with big tires. If that were the case, Id go with the detroit

sigepmock
01-24-2005, 07:39 AM
Ran one in my Chevy truck with a five speed and didn't like it on the road. It would lock and unluck violently(sp?) if you let the power off in a curve. It did great off-road but no good on road. May have acted differently behind an auto tranny.
Chris

HP350SC
01-24-2005, 07:59 AM
I put one in my '01 Ranger 4.0 4x4. Worked excellent on and off road. Will clunk on corners but who cares. 100% no slip :smile: I don't think I would run huge power through it though. How much HP you have?

Squirtin Thunder
01-24-2005, 08:13 AM
I need to put a locker in the roadster, but a Detroit locker is too harsh for a 1600# vehicle. I've been reading about the Powertrax NoSlip, and it seems to be smoother engaging and disengaging that A DL. Anyone have one? Making a left turn when I bang 2nd gear is a little too hairy, and with a little more HP, it'll only be worse without a locker.
Mike,
Get a Lock-rite, they look cheap but are strong as hell. I have put them in a lot of off road jeeps and truck, they have held up better than stock axles.
Or have the stock third member tightend up. It will work like a posi, with out the harshness.
Jim

roostwear
01-24-2005, 08:58 AM
My biggest concern is that it doesn't bang as hard as the Detroit locker in the Mustang. This car is too light, and the ratcheting will tear it up. Strength shouldn't be a problem with most any locker, as the 429 isn't putting a ton of HP to it. I just need it to launch straight, cuz I don't need it ratcheting with the front wheels up. It has a reverse manual valve body, so any little "quirks" make it a handful to drive real quick! At 1600 pounds, a Briggs and Stratton will move this thing!
All show...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2295429-1.jpg

Squirtin Thunder
01-24-2005, 02:24 PM
My biggest concern is that it doesn't bang as hard as the Detroit locker in the Mustang. This car is too light, and the ratcheting will tear it up. Strength shouldn't be a problem with most any locker, as the 429 isn't putting a ton of HP to it. I just need it to launch straight, cuz I don't need it ratcheting with the front wheels up. It has a reverse manual valve body, so any little "quirks" make it a handful to drive real quick! At 1600 pounds, a Briggs and Stratton will move this thing!
All show...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2295429-1.jpg
Mike,
I would shoot for a real tight posi or limited slip dif. I mean clutch type. That will be easier on all things involved. If you have any questions just call me.
Jim

carreraboat
01-24-2005, 02:28 PM
What about one in a 2 wheel drive tow vehicle, you to help you get up those slimy ramps?

Squirtin Thunder
01-24-2005, 02:34 PM
What about one in a 2 wheel drive tow vehicle, you to help you get up those slimy ramps?
A real clutch type posi works real well for any everyday type vehical. The one that need friction modifier to make them work right. The ratchiting type are hard on parts, tires and axles and springs and hard to deal with on a daily basis.
Jim

jeepinscott
01-24-2005, 03:03 PM
I've used full detroits, lock(wrong)rights, posi's and now a spool. Any posi will slip when you do not want it to, that's what they do. I agree with you on the automatic locking type difs for street use, they are harsh and tend to break parts when they engage. The 'lunchbox' lockers are just as harsh as a full detroit, but rely on a standard carrier for strength that was not intended for a stock carrier. I recently went to a full spool and will never do another locker in the back of anything. They are always there, completely predictable, bullet proof and cheap. I heard the rumors of tire scuffing and such, but would never go back to anything else. Your 1600lb rod would be fun with a spool!

roostwear
01-24-2005, 03:13 PM
No questions, a posi won't do. I need 100% lockup on both wheels (going straight, that is), and posi's don't give you that by design. I'm running 15" wide M&Hs in a short wheelbase car... it WILL carry the front wheels. Anything but 100% on BOTH wheels means I'm making an unplanned turn. As it is now, when I hit 2nd gear, it makes a quick left turn that I had better be expecting, or I'm in the curb. Kind of like the old fuel altereds. I could take the Detroit Locker out of the Mustang, but it ratchets too hard around corners... I'll need dental work if I use it in the roadster. The no-spin looks like a good way to go without having to have the ring and pinion set up again.

Hallett19
01-24-2005, 03:18 PM
ARB air locker ?

Squirtin Thunder
01-24-2005, 04:11 PM
No questions, a posi won't do. I need 100% lockup on both wheels (going straight, that is), and posi's don't give you that by design. I'm running 15" wide M&Hs in a short wheelbase car... it WILL carry the front wheels. Anything but 100% on BOTH wheels means I'm making an unplanned turn. As it is now, when I hit 2nd gear, it makes a quick left turn that I had better be expecting, or I'm in the curb. Kind of like the old fuel altereds. I could take the Detroit Locker out of the Mustang, but it ratchets too hard around corners... I'll need dental work if I use it in the roadster. The no-spin looks like a good way to go without having to have the ring and pinion set up again.
The spool type will get a bit harry on a slick surface. But a road racing type posi unit with clutches will keep you going strieght with little or no ill afects.
Mike call me !!!
Jim

roostwear
01-24-2005, 04:23 PM
Even though the car will be doing mostly show duty this year, I still want to "putt around" in it on the street, and a spool would be WAY to much hassle. With as gummy as these slicks are, they don't like slipping... at all!

BOBALOO
01-24-2005, 04:46 PM
I had a Lock right in my 88 4x4 toyota and can say that they act very much like a detroit locker. When you corner they are LOUD and when they suddenly engage while cornering you had better hold on if you are on the gas cuz it will jerk you sideways. Worked killer in the dirt which is where the truck spent 90% of it's time.

Froggystyle
01-24-2005, 05:01 PM
To re-iterate what Aaron said, use an ARB.
I had one in a rock crawler in ther front. It worked very, very well if you had it locked up and it was completely loose with it unlocked. Seems a great solution for you. 100% driveability unlocked, nothing weird happening at all and if you are going to get after it, just flip a switch and give it hell.
I love the ARB. Works great, very strong and durable.

Sleek-Jet
01-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Well shoot, I'll say ARB as well... They are locked solid like a spool when engaged and act like an open diff when disengaged.

Outnumbered
01-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Ditto the ARB or better yet an OX-bullet proof cable activated. IT depends on what rear end he's running because both ARB and OX have limited applications. Detroit makes an electric locker now too which is also strong as Hell. Its called the Electrac (sp) and it is just like the ARB and OX, full spool or open diff on command. I had a K5 Blazer with ARBs front and rear and they are bad-ass. The only thing that sucks about the ARB is the compressor is a little noisy and the air tank/compressor unit will be a tight fit on a rod. I would go with the Electrac or OX if it fits your diff. If you go ARB be sure to go for the stainless lines option, the poly lines suck.
OL