PDA

View Full Version : anyone know about the tow law??

OC-PARTYCAT
01-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Allright heres the deal, with my procratinating being, I didnt pay the tags on my wifes car. She was gettin her hair done on friday and when she came out....the car was gone. Come to find out, after calling 911, the car was towed because of expired tags. I know you can get towed if you are driving on the road and the cop has a hard on for you but, the car was parked on private property, shopping center. Does anyone know if it is legal for the LE to tow your car in this situation????

victorfb
01-24-2005, 12:40 PM
i was told by an orange county officer that they cannot tow cars that are parked on private property such as the shopping center parking lot.

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Allright heres the deal, with my procratinating being, I didnt pay the tags on my wifes car. She was gettin her hair done on friday and when she came out....the car was gone. Come to find out, after calling 911, the car was towed because of expired tags. I know you can get towed if you are driving on the road and the cop has a hard on for you but, the car was parked on private property, shopping center. Does anyone know if it is legal for the LE to tow your car in this situation????
I think it is because it is on the street wether it be a parking lot or not .. it is not in the registered owners driveway.. it can not be on the street at all..

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-24-2005, 12:42 PM
i was told by an orange county officer that they cannot tow cars that are parked on private property such as the shopping center parking lot.
unless it was called on privatly.

RP1
01-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Under vehicle code section 22651 (o)...
The vehicle can be towed after the tag is expired over six months. The parking lot is considered common use for public parking, regardless of it being privately owned and the vehicle can be towed from there.
This information came from a Police Traffic Lieutenant.

LHC30Victory
01-24-2005, 01:08 PM
That OC officer may be legally wrong but within THEIR POLICY:
22651 of the Vehicle Code says in part that a car may be impounded :
(o) (1) When any vehicle is found or operated upon a highway, any public lands, or an offstreet parking facility with a registration expiration date in excess of six months before the date it is found or operated on the highway, public lands, or the offstreet parking facility. However, whenever the vehicle is occupied, only a peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 of the Penal Code, may remove the vehicle. For the purposes of this subdivision, the vehicle shall be released to the owner or person in control of the vehicle only after the owner or person furnishes the storing law enforcement agency with proof of current registration and a currently valid driver's license to operate the vehicle.

Kilrtoy
01-24-2005, 01:10 PM
How expired is the reg and as a rule of thumb, I have been told cops do not go into parking lots and take cars, its not good P.R.

BoatPI
01-24-2005, 01:24 PM
The short answer is they may impound it six months after the day the registration has expired. It may be cited while parked thirty days after expiring. Most impound laws may be found under 22651 section or 22655.5.
PERIOD.
Unless a persoon posted private property impounded it for unauthorized parking. Then it is a private tow, but ONLY after it has been illegally parked for TWO hours. In this case the police do not get involved except to be notified by the private property owner that the vehicle was towed and provide ALL of the vehicle info and the towing shop location. The private property owner must sign for this tow.

OC-PARTYCAT
01-24-2005, 01:25 PM
How expired is the reg and as a rule of thumb, I have been told cops do not go into parking lots and take cars, its not good P.R.
Longer than 6 months......When I called the officer, I asked, " Why did you tow it, I thought that you could not tow the car if it is on private property" she said "Well, we cant tow it if it is parked on your driveway but, how did you get the car to the parking lot?" What if I towed it to the parking lot? They should have just waited for her to drive off, then pull her over. So, what Im getting out of this is that the LE can tow your car when it is parked in a privatly owned parking lot? That is just bullshit. I know it should have been registered but..WTF, They tow it on Friday(when the DMV is closed) so now Im looking at 200.00+ in towing and storage.

Kilrtoy
01-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Well if you read the signs at the entrance im sure it gives details about the tow company, among other things.
Also the property may be privately owned but it is open to the public, hence public roadway.....
Well you learned a valueable lesson in a very expensive way. also dont lie at the dmv and say the car was parked and skip out on penalties, god forbid they check at the court and you get caught for perjury....

Havasu_Dreamin
01-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Longer than 6 months......When I called the officer, I asked, " Why did you tow it, I thought that you could not tow the car if it is on private property" she said "Well, we cant tow it if it is parked on your driveway but, how did you get the car to the parking lot?" What if I towed it to the parking lot? They should have just waited for her to drive off, then pull her over. So, what Im getting out of this is that the LE can tow your car when it is parked in a privatly owned parking lot? That is just bullshit. I know it should have been registered but..WTF, They tow it on Friday(when the DMV is closed) so now Im looking at 200.00+ in towing and storage.
But, if that's the law and they can legally tow it from a mall parking lot, then what did the police officer do wrong? Sounds like he/she was doing their job.

OC-PARTYCAT
01-24-2005, 01:33 PM
(o) (1) When any vehicle is found or operated upon a highway, any public lands, or an offstreet parking facility with a registration expiration date in excess of six months before the date it is found or operated on the highway, public lands, or the offstreet parking facility. However, whenever the vehicle is occupied, only a peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 of the Penal Code, may remove the vehicle. For the purposes of this subdivision, the vehicle shall be released to the owner or person in control of the vehicle only after the owner or person furnishes the storing law enforcement agency with proof of current registration and a currently valid driver's license to operate the vehicle.
Im I wrong...but doesnt this read that the car needs to be in operation? As in driving it in the parking lot? It was parked.

LHC30Victory
01-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Well if you read the signs at the entrance im sure it gives details about the tow company, among other things.
Also the property may be privately owned but it is open to the public, hence public roadway.....
Well you learned a valueable lesson in a very expensive way. also dont lie at the dmv and say the car was parked and skip out on penalties, god forbid they check at the court and you get caught for perjury....
Hey bucket head - public property open to the public IS NOT A PUBLIC ROADWAY! What the HECK are they teaching you guys nowadays? :hammerhea :hammerhea

Havasu_Dreamin
01-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Im I wrong...but doesnt this read that the car needs to be in operation? As in driving it in the parking lot? It was parked.
No, because it says found or operated.

OC-PARTYCAT
01-24-2005, 01:37 PM
But, if that's the law and they can legally tow it from a mall parking lot, then what did the police officer do wrong? Sounds like he/she was doing their job.
Kinda chicken shit considering it is a mini van, parked in front of a hair salon, on Friday in Mission Viejo. If he had the right to do it then...my bad, its still not cool.

LHC30Victory
01-24-2005, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=OC-PARTYCAT
Im I wrong...but doesnt this read that the car needs to be in operation? As in driving it in the parking lot? It was parked.[/QUOTE]
No, it means that if the vehicle is being operated or is occupied on an offstreet facility, then ONLY a peace officer can impound it.
It also says that upon fees being paid, (and having a valid license) the car shall be released to the R/O, L/O or operator.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Kinda chicken shit considering it is a mini van, parked in front of a hair salon, on Friday in Mission Viejo. If he had the right to do it then...my bad, its still not cool.
So, it's chickensh!t for the officer to do his/her job? Is it chickensh!t for the officer to look the other way when someone runs a red light? Probably not if that person that just ran the red light almost hits you in your minivan. I understandd the frustration, but if the officer was performing his/her job and you were violationg the law, then as Kilr said, you learned a lesson the hard way.
I'm quite certain I'm coming off as a prick with what I'm writing but the point I'm trying to make is that if someone is knowingly, or unknowingly, breaking the law, and they get caught, why bitch and moan about it? I exceed the speed limit all the time to Havasu, I get a ticket, my a$$ aint coming on here and bitching about it. I know the law, I know the risks of getting caguht, and if I get caught, I accept it.

Kilrtoy
01-24-2005, 01:42 PM
Hey bucket head - public property open to the public IS NOT A PUBLIC ROADWAY! What the HECK are they teaching you guys nowadays? :hammerhea :hammerhea
If i use the correect terms most wont understand them......

Kilrtoy
01-24-2005, 01:44 PM
I guess they shouldnt also enforce the handicap parking violations either

OC-PARTYCAT
01-24-2005, 01:45 PM
So, it's chickensh!t for the officer to do his/her job? Is it chickensh!t for the officer to look the other way when someone runs a red light? Probably not if that person that just ran the red light almost hits you in your minivan. I understandd the frustration, but if the officer was performing his/her job and you were violationg the law, then as Kilr said, you learned a lesson the hard way.
Good comparison HD.... How bout just throwing a ticket on the windshield...

RP1
01-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Maybe that's why we were the fourth safest city in the us this year... don't wait for expired cars to hit the roadways and commit crimes. :D

Havasu_Dreamin
01-24-2005, 01:48 PM
I agree with you on that. But if they are required to tow it, then what can they do? And therein lies the question, could the officer had just issued a citation? I don't know the answer to that one.

Kilrtoy
01-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Registration Required
4000. (1) No person shall drive, move, or leave standing upon a highway, or in an offstreet public parking facility, any motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole or pipe dolly, or logging dolly, unless it is registered and the appropriate fees have been paid under this code or registered under the permanent trailer identification program, except that an off-highway motor vehicle which displays an identification plate or device issued by the department pursuant to Section 38010 may be driven, moved, or left standing in an offstreet public parking facility without being registered or paying registration fees.
(2) For purposes of this subdivision, "offstreet public parking facility" means either of the following:
(A) Any publicly owned parking facility.
(B) Any privately owned parking facility for which no fee for the privilege to park is charged and which is held open for the common public use of retail customers.
(3) This subdivision does not apply to any motor vehicle stored in a privately owned offstreet parking facility by, or with the express permission of, the owner of the privately owned offstreet parking facility.
This should clarify everything for ya'll

OC-PARTYCAT
01-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Maybe that's why we were the fourth safest city in the us this year... don't wait for expired cars to hit the roadways and commit crimes. :D
Attention all units, be on the lookout for a hot chick with big tits driving a minivan full of kids. The tags are expired and she may be dangerous. Please be aware that she may flirt with you to get off the hook, use extreme caution. :D :D J/K

Kilrtoy
01-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Attention all units, be on the lookout for a hot chick with big tits driving a minivan full of kids. The tags are expired and she may be dangerous. Please be aware that she may flirt with you to get off the hook, use extreme caution. :D :D J/K
Come on hot wife in mini van, get her a real car, you owe it to her....
a mini van, they were doing you a favor

OC-PARTYCAT
01-24-2005, 01:55 PM
damn, it looks like Im not gettin out of this one. :hammerhea ..thanks for the help guys...

Kilrtoy
01-24-2005, 01:57 PM
You may want to delete this thread, if HOT BOAT finds out you own a mini van, they will cut your isp off and rightfully so....

OC-PARTYCAT
01-24-2005, 01:59 PM
Come on hot wife in mini van, get her a real car, you owe it to her....
a mini van, they were doing you a favor
LMAO, Your right....H2 on the way baby...When she called me and said it was stolen the conversation went like this....
Her: Hey, holy shit, my van was stolen from the parking lot...
Me: Damn, is the insurance current?
Her: yea, thank God
Me: hopefully they dont find that piece of shit and well go car shoppin
tomorrow.

Kilrtoy
01-24-2005, 02:01 PM
LOL that is funny

Havasu_Dreamin
01-24-2005, 02:03 PM
LMAO, Your right....H2 on the way baby...When she called me and said it was stolen the conversation went like this....
tomorrow.
ROFLMAO!

RP1
01-24-2005, 02:09 PM
tomorrow.
That was damn funny there :D

Jrocket
01-24-2005, 02:13 PM
LMAO...How about just mailing in the fee's on time. :eek:

OC-PARTYCAT
01-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Why do that? Id rather pay penalties and get it towed..
The man is bringin me down and I aint gonna take it.

Jrocket
01-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Its time to unite all of the procrastinators and rebell against the on timers....first thing of next week!

Eliminator 4 Life
01-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Why would you let your tags go 6 months late the law is the law. Dont fill up that party cat with gas and pay the tags :argue:

OC-PARTYCAT
01-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Its time to unite all of the procrastinators and rebell against the on timers....first thing of next week!
LOL, Sounds good...I might show up. I just need to be on the lookout for the man.

OC-PARTYCAT
01-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Why would you let your tags go 6 months late the law is the law. Dont fill up that party cat with gas and pay the tags :argue:
hey man.....you need to get your priorities straight :wink:

Jrocket
01-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Next time just leave the keys in it with a $20 spot on the seat for somebody,sounds like you'ld be better off in the long run......mini van..what were you think'n? LOL :)

Sane Asylum
01-24-2005, 03:40 PM
damn, it looks like Im not gettin out of this one. :hammerhea ..thanks for the help guys...
Why don't you just register your focking automobile...............Can't we talk boats instead of sharing various states of incompetence..... :hammerhea

OC-PARTYCAT
01-24-2005, 03:41 PM
mini van..what were you think'n? LOL :)
Hey, I dont need to drive it.
your right, what the hell was I thinking? young dumb and full of cum I guess. shit, Im not that young either ummmm, no excuse, just stupidity.
That reminds me of a story, a couple weeks ago that thing was all shiny and polished up as my wife and I was walking out of the store and I said to her..."shit girl, look at that nice clean car." she looks at me and said "what car, all I see is a big white shit box" those are the moments you charish...good times, thats what it is all about my man.

OC-PARTYCAT
01-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Why don't you just register your focking automobile...............Can't we talk boats instead of sharing various states of incompetence..... :hammerhea
nope, sorry

mirvin
01-24-2005, 04:16 PM
I know how you feel OC...It's not that anyone did anything wrong in their job but it just suck when someone goes out of they're way to scru you:hammerhea
Sorta like how I got a seatbelt ticket on a Sunday morning in the middle of a residential area one block from my house.......it just pisses in your cheerios is all.....
mirvin :wink:

slink
01-24-2005, 04:20 PM
I know how you feel OC...It's not that anyone did anything wrong in their job but it just suck when someone goes out of they're way to scru you:hammerhea
Sorta like how I got a seatbelt ticket on a Sunday morning in the middle of a residential area one block from my house.......it just pisses in your cheerios is all.....
mirvin :wink:
Mirvin, According to OC, You must be smoking hot with huge boobs :p

OC-PARTYCAT
01-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Mirvin, According to OC, You must be smoking hot with huge boobs :p
no, that was a joke. She wasnt in the car when it got towed. but she is smokin hot with huge boobs :smile:

Kilrtoy
01-24-2005, 04:44 PM
no, that was a joke. She wasnt in the car when it got towed. but she is smokin hot with huge boobs :smile:
We dont believe you,
POST A PIC OF HER

Mandelon
01-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Prove it. We need a pic. :cool:

OC-PARTYCAT
01-24-2005, 04:55 PM
I knew that was coming....Ill pull something together, or down, tonight and post tomorrow.

rivrbrat
01-24-2005, 04:57 PM
What State and City was the vehicle towed from?
If it was California and on private property you are at the mercy of the property owner or his agent. If a municipality towed it off of private property for expired registration get a good lawyer and start picking out your new boat.
Rivrbrat

Kilrtoy
01-24-2005, 05:06 PM
What State and City was the vehicle towed from?
If it was California and on private property you are at the mercy of the property owner or his agent. If a municipality towed it off of private property for expired registration get a good lawyer and start picking out your new boat.
Rivrbrat
Why who is paying for it, besides him.....You.....

JB in so cal
01-24-2005, 05:06 PM
We are just trying to keep Mission Viejo a Mini Van - free zone. If your vehicle doesn't weigh at least 6000 lbs, we're gonna' tow it!

Ultracrazy
01-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Bingo

98 Vector 21
01-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Some private property owners have accounts set with local tow operators to in force there parking areas and impound/tow for illegal infractions

Wicky
01-24-2005, 08:26 PM
I had someone leave their car in my parking lot and after one week I called the POLICE to see what was up. The police dept said they can have the car towed but, I would be billed. Needless to say, the car was found in the middle of the street out in front of my shop. No towing charge, thank you very much.
Wicky

Kilrtoy
01-24-2005, 08:29 PM
I had someone leave their car in my parking lot and after one week I called the POLICE to see what was up. The police dept said they can have the car towed but, I would be billed. Needless to say, the car was found in the middle of the street out in front of my shop. No towing charge, thank you very much.
Wicky
Good for nothing cops, you probably bugged them on one of their union given 12 breaks

Perfect Mixer
01-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Your lucky they didn't try and give you a violation in your driveway. I've got a buddy that lives in Mission Viejo that was hassled for his truck being out of reg IN HIS OWN DRIVEWAY!!! Needless to say he paid it up and was not bothered again.

SHOTKALLIN
01-24-2005, 08:39 PM
I used to hook em out of the grocery store if they were over a year expired. If I have to pay 4 tags then everybody does. No free lunch.

Wicky
01-24-2005, 08:40 PM
Good for nothing cops, you probably bugged them on one of their union given 12 breaks
Cops....the only guys who get more breaks than an orthopedic surgeon!!lol

Wicky
01-24-2005, 08:44 PM
I used to hook em out of the grocery store if they were over a year expired. If I have to pay 4 tags then everybody does. No free lunch.
Damn straight!!
Glad my tags are only $70 or I'd start griping about that too.
And no, I'm not registering a 74 Nova.
Mow,
Wicky

LHC30Victory
01-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Your lucky they didn't try and give you a violation in your driveway. I've got a buddy that lives in Mission Viejo that was hassled for his truck being out of reg IN HIS OWN DRIVEWAY!!! Needless to say he paid it up and was not bothered again.
Own driveway = private property and the Ca Veh Code doesn't apply there (except a few laws) especially the registration law. Now quite a lot of cities have abatement laws and your friend may have fallen into that one.

Kim Hanson
01-24-2005, 08:56 PM
Did you say HUGE BOOBS, I need to see this....( . )( . )..........PLEASE ! :D Im serious :D

Kilrtoy
01-24-2005, 08:57 PM
I knew that was coming....Ill pull something together, or down, tonight and post tomorrow.
Alright where are the pics or did the PT Cruiser just get towed also.....

Kim Hanson
01-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Alright where are the pics or did the PT Cruiser just get towed also.....
I think the camera was leased and it ran out, now we sit and watch..........( . )( . )....... :D

plaster dave
01-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Look I am not a fan on the parking enforcement or the police but pay your tags and it wont happpen. But with that said I was in the middle of moving and I stored my sea doo trailer at a friends house and when i was settled in I went and got my trailer and a damn CHP pulled me over for expired tags on the trail and then Impounded it. Then to top it off I see him 2 weeks later on the freeway and he waves to me what a prick. :hammerhea

Kilrtoy
01-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Look I am not a fan on the parking enforcement or the police but pay your tags and it wont happpen. But with that said I was in the middle of moving and I stored my sea doo trailer at a friends house and when i was settled in I went and got my trailer and a damn CHP pulled me over for expired tags on the trail and then Impounded it. Then to top it off I see him 2 weeks later on the freeway and he waves to me what a prick. :hammerhea
What was his name
oh you said chp, I meant her name

plaster dave
01-24-2005, 09:41 PM
What was his name
oh you said chp, I meant her name
LOl I think it was ASS H*** but realy I dont remember but he was like 20 something brown hair buzzed on the 118 freeway.

Kilrtoy
01-24-2005, 09:49 PM
All, but a few of them( I MEAN A FEW, AS IN HANDFUL) are AZZHOLES....

plaster dave
01-24-2005, 09:57 PM
All, but a few of them( I MEAN A FEW, AS IN HANDFUL) are AZZHOLES....
Ya tell me about it I was driving in the slow lane when a cop pulls out from behind me to pull a girl over in the carpool lane. The cop turns his lights on and starts to pull her over. So now I am right next to them so I just drive on and that PRICK pulls the girl over tells her to follow him and he comes after me for not yelding to his lights. :devil:

Kilrtoy
01-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Ya tell me about it I was driving in the slow lane when a cop pulls out from behind me to pull a girl over in the carpool lane. The cop turns his lights on and starts to pull her over. So now I am right next to them so I just drive on and that PRICK pulls the girl over tells her to follow him and he comes after me for not yelding to his lights. :devil:
Well, it is the law that you yeild...., does suck

plaster dave
01-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Well, it is the law that you yeild...., does suck
Ok You D*** :hammer2: J/K :D

canuck1
01-24-2005, 10:20 PM
I was speeding once and got a ticket

Wicky
01-24-2005, 10:44 PM
I was speeding once and got a ticket
Most people in Idaho carry guns. I carry donuts!!!
Only problem is, last time I was pulled over it was by an airplane cop!!
Of course, his buddy showed up a little later and the donut was already stale.
Wicky

bigd1
01-25-2005, 03:19 AM
What a ****ed up situation. What's next? Random safety inspections where you're towed if your headlights are out of adjustment? I'm glad I don't live in CA.

Jbb
01-25-2005, 05:45 AM
Lowriver Sez......
Tow the Cars/ Cuff em n Stuff em...! :p
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860697960ed15d383b.jpg

JetBoatRich
01-25-2005, 06:07 AM
At the Price of registering a vehicle in Cal. :mad: ..........................

LOWRIVER2
02-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Damn Brian!
I come over here once/twice a week and you still "hit" me!/LOL
Man, ever since I went back to REAL police work at METRO, I don't need to come around the internet. Life is fun again. Just got my stats: 656 hours overtime for 03', 624 hours for 04' 273 felony arrests for 04, LIFE IS GOOD, A FULL JAIL IS A HAPPY JAIL!
Big, fast boats are a sign of a boring job. Glad I have a bitchen job!
METROPOLITAN DIVISION: 911 for Cops
Trust me JBB, reg. is the LAST thing I worry about in the SOUTH BUREAU. I could care less, it's one more way I get to "see what's inside" to find bigger and better things.
Keep up the laughs, and who's "waxing your boat" these days? LOL
"GO HARD OR GO HOME"!!

Coleitis22
02-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Just curious. How much is your registration? I bet it's less than the fine, towing charges and your wife's new hairdo. Sorry to hear about it, but I'm willing to guess the property owner called on your car. Most cops don't give a hoot about expired tags unless it PC to pull over a suspicious vehicle. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jordy
02-05-2005, 02:03 PM
You should get in touch with AzDon. He seems to be a victim of the system and would probably have some good pointers for you. :D :D :D

rrrr
02-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Six months? That's a long time. Do you really think you have a reason to complain?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Own driveway = private property and the Ca Veh Code doesn't apply there (except a few laws) especially the registration law. Now quite a lot of cities have abatement laws and your friend may have fallen into that one.
Damn Cops......Think they know everything...... :D