PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to connect my i pod to this radio?

Blown Lavey
01-24-2005, 04:09 PM
http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-5nn9YpEL5qs/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=features_and_specs&i=158cdxmp70
I just broke out of the stoneage and bought an I pod and I need to find out what accesories I will need. :cool:

ROZ
01-24-2005, 04:37 PM
There's a lot of companies comming out with IPOD adaptors this year. At the present time I'd say you'd need an XA300(I think). It allows you to hook up any aux audio(rca) source to a Sony headunit via the uni-link... You'd need a headphone minijack to RCA adaptor cable to make it work...
Also, a lot of MFG's are getting on the Ipod bandwagon. ALpine already has an interface that lets you command the ipod using your headunit. Clarion is comming out with headunits that will do the same...
:)

ROZ
01-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Does Sony already have one Roz? One that will work with the remotes?
That's a good question, Tom. I'll see what my non carrying Sony ass can come up with :D

ROZ
01-24-2005, 06:59 PM
I should know this stuff reguardless :D

flat broke
01-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Be carefull with the Inetgrated ipod controls that some comapnies like Alpine are spamming. The alpine integration is bascially just a kludge that makes their HUs think the Ipod is a changer. You can only access the first 5 playlists off the head unit. Anything other than that and you have to mess with the ipod itself. Not what I'd call seamless integration. I love Alpine stuff, but the integration was half ass at best.
Apple should be making the SDK for their menu and control hierarchy available to any aftermarket manufacturer that wants it. It's widespread acceptance is what keeps it outselling other portables that are equally as capable.
Chris

ROZ
01-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Be carefull with the Inetgrated ipod controls that some comapnies like Alpine are spamming. The alpine integration is bascially just a kludge that makes their HUs think the Ipod is a changer. You can only access the first 5 playlists off the head unit. Anything other than that and you have to mess with the ipod itself. Not what I'd call seamless integration. I love Alpine stuff, but the integration was half ass at best.
Apple should be making the SDK for their menu and control hierarchy available to any aftermarket manufacturer that wants it. It's widespread acceptance is what keeps it outselling other portables that are equally as capable.
Chris
Is this from a new headunit? I wonder if BMW is having the same problems? Alpine makes the headunit that have IPOD integration as well...
To my knowledge, they've addressed the issue on the 05 headunits. The older models you need to use the quicksearch fearute to go through the menu, but you're limited to just under 300 songs or something...
Here's the chart from their site to maximize the use with he 04 models...
http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/support/head_units/optimize/ipod/memory_chart.gif
It also reads:
It is recommended that you customize your Playlists and the number of songs in a Playlist based on the limits detailed above. Some suggestions for Playlists include:
- Creating a Playlist for each letter of the alphabet in which you could store songs by song name or by artist name.
- Creating a Smart Playlist (refer to iTunes Help for details regarding creating Smart Playlists) which can be limited with the number of songs in the Playlist.
- Creating Playlists by Genre and/or sub-Genre while keeping the number of songs within the Playlist to below the limits detailed above.
To optimize your song search capability while in the car, where possible begin your searches by selecting the Artist name that should narrow down the available songs. To further narrow down your search parameters, select the Album the song was included on before initiating a Song search.

Mr. Naudio
01-28-2005, 05:40 PM
I should know this stuff reguardless :D
Yes, you dam well should :hammerhea

Krumbsnatcher
01-31-2005, 06:41 AM
http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-5nn9YpEL5qs/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=features_and_specs&i=158cdxmp70
I just broke out of the stoneage and bought an I pod and I need to find out what accesories I will need. :cool:
You will need one of my ipod Sleeves (billet) for boats. Stop by our booth at #625 LA boat show check it out. I will try and post some pics later, or you can see it this weekend at the show it will be installed in the sound challenge boat out in the front lobby.
We are still working on the clearance and protection issues but i all ready have 100+ orders for them.
Jeff
Xtreme Audio Covers