PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tires

dego red
01-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Any one know what the regulations are regarding boat trailer tire ratings? A friend put two 15" LT type tires on a boat trailer, now someone is saying that they are not legal. I'm sure they are within the load range needed,as they are rated a higher wieght than the original 700x15 bias tires. Thanks for any info.
red

Moneypitt
01-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Last September I took 4 wheels to Walmart for boat trailer tires. You know, just old fashioned down the road tires......The salesman was showing me some tires of the approx. size/load range as the ones that were on it. Until I mentioned TRAILER. Sale stopped. Walmart will not sell "passenger car" tires to be used on a trailer! There must be some kind of liabilty involved if the tires fail......AND trailer tires are mega bucks in comparison...........I don't know of any law about it, maybe Boatcop can shed some light here?.........MP

plaster dave
01-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Well I'm in ca. but I got 5 new tires for my boat trailer it was $350.00 and they are trailer tires.

Kim Hanson
01-24-2005, 08:44 PM
Car tires make your trailer bounce...........( . )( . )........You need the hard sided trailer tires on boat trailers........ :)

al cole'holic
01-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Roadmaster Rampage G/T have been good to me, and like 75-100 buck for rim and tire usually :D

HOOTER SLED-
01-24-2005, 09:20 PM
I would be sketchy about putting passenger tires on a trailer if I was hauling a big boat. Trailer tires have more plys in the sidewalls.

dego red
01-24-2005, 09:33 PM
These were Goodyear Wrangler light truck tires. We bought them in Fullerton California at a Just Tires shop. We told the guy that they were for a boat trailer and that we were going to tow it to Canada eh? They did'nt say "don't use them". With taxes and all they were $287.00 for the pair!!!! BTW the wheels are a six stud rim
red

canuck1
01-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Hey Red, hows it hangin?
Always liked goodyear trailer tires from Fountain tire

dego red
01-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Hey Mike, it goes good, just got to make one more trip to California to pick this boat up.
red

canuck1
01-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Boat????

dego red
01-24-2005, 09:44 PM
Yeah, a freind bought a blowbote off ebay. It is located just south of L.A.. I just got back last Tuesday. We flew down to get the boat on the trailer and ready to tow back up here when the weather improves in late March.
red

canuck1
01-24-2005, 09:53 PM
WTF is a blow boat?

dego red
01-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Sail boat.... :hammer2:

canuck1
01-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Ahhhh a kim hanson ride

JDB
01-24-2005, 10:10 PM
I also just recently went through this educational process. The difference between a passenger tire (hence the prefix P as in P75) and a ST (Standard Trailer Tire) is that a P tire is a 4 ply tire and a ST tire is a 6 ply tire. The load factors between the tires were about the same (1,200 lbs per tire to 1,300 lbs per tire) but obviously, the ST tire had two more plys or more side wall strength AND the P tires were rated for a max of 35 pounds of air to the 60 pounds of air on the trailer tire.
The bottom line: Being that Bullhead City is in the middle of "BFE" I could not find a trailer tire in the size required....so....I slapped a pair of passenger tires on my trailer to get me home to Riverside.....got me home ok....but ever see one of those....errrrr.......uh.....shall we say "large chicks" at the river with their "junk" sagging? Thats what my new tires looked like! The difference between 35 pounds of pressure and 60 pounds of pressure was like the difference between "junk" and say BRE. (Sorry BRE! No offence, that be a compliment) ;)
Just my $.02 and hope it helps!

dego red
01-24-2005, 10:11 PM
Is'nt Kim's boat a cheap copy of that Canadian submarine??? His likes to go down too..... :rollside:
red

dego red
01-24-2005, 10:14 PM
JDB, these are rated for 50 lbs cold.
red

JDB
01-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Yes, 50 cold

canuck1
01-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Didn't see the blue one but the red one that he claims is a v drive is actually a skidoo

dego red
01-24-2005, 10:21 PM
Sorry, 50 lbs cold is what these Wranglers are rated for. They are not a passenger tire, but a light truck tire. They are pretty big too. Just don't want a bunch of problems on a 1500 mile tow if you know what I mean
red

spectras only
01-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Hi Dego, I would go for proper trailer tires.In the last couple of years the mounties seem to be busy checking trailers , boat trailers at the tollbooth on the Coke . I've got the Goodyear Marathon radials for the Spectra and Hankook trailer radials for the Mirage. The Goodyears are not that expensive as people think. Check it out on www.1010tires.com and here =
http://www.epinions.com/Goodyear_Marathon_Radial_Trailer_Utility_Tire

Wicky
01-24-2005, 11:03 PM
WTF is a blow boat?
I know what a blow boat is!!! And it doesn't need a sail either!!!lol.

moneysucker
01-24-2005, 11:04 PM
On a single axle trailer with a sail boat, Depending on what it weighs, Those tires should be ok. See what trucks they go on and how much weight is on the front tires especially if it is a diesel.Grease your bearing buddies. I would say the bearings are more of a worry than a set of brand new tires. I know thet my 9ply dually tires aren't cheap. R run passenger tires but my boat is a drag boat on a tandem axle trailer so it is the equivelant weight of a honda with a fat guy in it, There are those tire stores across the US, right? get the insuranse and AAA + RV and you will have no worries. Auto club is by far the best investment I have ever made, In lock outs alone. Good luck, I am sure you will be fine

dego red
01-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks Moneysucker, I've re-packed the bearings and checked and adjusted the brakes. This trailer has never been in the water as the boat is always hoisted from the trailer. We also installed a new coupler for the surge brakes. I think it should be good to go, but my friend that owns it is getting some differing opinions on the tires. With all the blow outs with so called trailer tires,I don't see them as being much better than what is on the trailer now.
red

Flying Tiger
01-25-2005, 03:16 AM
Ya want load range E or G if you can find them.
Forget using load range c or d.
Remember proper inflation in the key or they heat up and blow::
Load range c 50 psi
Load range d 60 psi
load range e 80 psi
D and E are available at Americas tire stores with a full no hassle warranty.