PDA

View Full Version : trailer questions

dtr352
01-25-2005, 02:36 PM
I am about to redo the trailer for my southwind and I have a few questions.
1. Should there be a support under the bow? Right now it just has bunks from the transo forward about halfway. Should I add something under the bow in the front to keep it from bouncing going down the road? Some say it needs to move up and down others say it should not. Which is it.
2. What is the best type of paint and primer for a boat trailer? Should I use clear coat.
3. I plan to set the boat on some old tires and partially support both ends with engine lifts. Will this be ok for a few days while I do the work?
Thanks

moneysucker
01-25-2005, 04:02 PM
If it is a SWDT I use 2x12s and saw horses to hold it up. Slide it off with the help of a cherry picker and pot it on the boards. If it is a V this could work too but you will have to get creative and nail everything together. Tires will work. If going that route, I wouldn't use the hoists to suppore each end. I feel that this would add undue stress that the boat is not used to supporting. it is used to sitting on the bottom. Iused PPG single stage paint on mine shine with no clear. If you want the # I can get it for you High gloss black.

dtr352
01-25-2005, 05:08 PM
That sounds like a good idea to use saw horses. It is the tunnel dragster. Did you just support the 2x12 at each end on the saw horses and set the boat on top. Did the 2x12 flex a lot.

moneysucker
01-25-2005, 05:30 PM
SWDT, easy money. When did you get it? I have one as does my brother. They are both on www.southwindjetboats.com the black one and the yellow one. I use the short ones from home depot. Screw the boards down and maybe do what I did, since you are re doing the trailer anyways, buy the same size boards you will use to replace the ones on the trailer and carpet them before you start. You may need to use the old boards until you go to the lake and then change them out, but at least you aren't wasting money on wood that you could use to complete the trailer restoration. The saw horses did ok supporting the boat because they were under the the boards longways. I would reccomend attaching the boards to the saw horses. They want to move sometimes. Most importantly, Invite your friends over for beers or something and make them help. before beer. Hint: only invite the amount you need. It is hard to trick them twice, you will need a new group to put it back on the trailer.

BrendellaJet
01-25-2005, 06:57 PM
I wish I took pics of what I did to hold my boat up. Picture this. I took two 12 inch cement blocks with the metal straps cast into them(something one might use to support a deck...)Got em at the Home Depot. Then, I strapped into them some 2x6(standing on the 2 inch side) and sinched them up real tight, then spaced them like the bunks on my trailer. The 2x6 was about 9 feet long. At the other end, I I spaced them so they were parallel and put another piece of 2x6 between them and attached with 4 screws per side. This end I laid on the ground because I wanted the nose end of the boat up in the air to paint...Worked like a charm. Was a little tough getting it back on the trailer, but you could raise the rear if you needed to make it easier...

Oldsquirt
01-25-2005, 06:58 PM
Most importantly, Invite your friends over for beers or something and make them help. before beer. Hint: only invite the amount you need. It is hard to trick them twice, you will need a new group to put it back on the trailer.
ROTFLMAO!!!!! :D

bp
01-25-2005, 07:21 PM
if all you're going to do is replace the 2x12s, just prep the new 2x12s, carpet them, then unbolt the old one's from the supports.
using a cherry picker, hook a strap to one header and lift one side of the boat off a board, then slide that board out from under the boat; slide the new board under. center the board where you want it, screw it into place, and lower the boat back down. repeat on the other side.
if you want to get the boat off the trailer to do more than replace the bunks, than the sawhorse method works like moneysucker said, or you can build yourself something shorter with some wheels under it so you can move it around a little bit. 'course, if you're gonna pull it off, i'd pull the engine first.

Hallett19
01-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Most importantly, Invite your friends over for beers or something and make them help. before beer. Hint: only invite the amount you need. It is hard to trick them twice, you will need a new group to put it back on the trailer.
One of the funniest posts I have seen in a very long time ! :D

Squirtcha?
01-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Or there's always this..................
Get yer boat off the trailer the easy way (http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/Kidsriding.html)
You can skip the flipping it over part.

dtr352
01-25-2005, 09:02 PM
I bought the boat at the begining of summer. I am doing a complete ground up rebuild. Too bad I didn't buy the boat at that price. Oh well. Anyway the motor is out as is everything else except the pump and the fuel tanks.
Or there's always this..................
Get yer boat off the trailer the easy way
You can skip the flipping it over part.
This was kind of what I had in mind. It will have to sit for a few days while I redoo the trailer. Any suggestions on bow support for the trailer. Is it necesary.

HoffmanEagleMarine
01-25-2005, 11:18 PM
I just rebuilt my trailer. It was broken at the angle point. I can't find my memory card right now, but check out www.hoffmaneaglemarine.com
See the trailer and the front frame support. If you beef up the front too much, your flex will occur at the angle. That is where the trailer broke. The driver side trailer broke and went thru the bottom of my boat. (I didn't own it back then, but it's mine now). The original manufacturer placed the 4" channel at the angle point. I added the 45 degree supports at the angle and the back section. This ties the box together and still has a little flex. It will crack if it is too rigid. The front was very stiff and did not flex at all. That is why it fell apart.....At least, that's what I have found....Doug :idea: