PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Parts "Hook-Up"

THATJEFFGUY
01-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Does anyone have a hookup on Toyota parts ? My son has a 1996 Toyota Camry, and it won't pass smog..it needs a catalytic converter. He is being told by a couple different repair shops that this is a dealer item only and very expensive. Can anyone help on this ? Thanks !!

mirvin
01-25-2005, 04:45 PM
HEy JEff, a good buddy of mine is the parts manager for Torrance Toyota. I can hook you up if you wanna come out here.
Lemme know.
mirvin :wink:

THATJEFFGUY
01-25-2005, 04:45 PM
I don't know what they are quoting you but I have a guy here in San Marcos that wanted 250 to replace the Cat on my 94 Chevy 1500.
Seemed like a good deal. He is strictly a muffler / exhaust guy.
Forensic
They are quoting like $500..seems kinda high to me for a cat !

RiverDave
01-25-2005, 04:46 PM
A new "factory" catalytic converter?
Just an idea, go down to a junk yard or a ecology or soemthing.. It's 3 screws on the front and two screws on the back if memory serves..
Probably cost ya 15 bucks, and maybe 20 minutes of your time?
RD

HCS
01-25-2005, 04:50 PM
You can get aftermarket cats at muffler shops. We do it all the time here.
I just called the shop down the street and they said 250.00 or 300.00 for a 96 Toyota Camary.
The cars you can not get aftermarket for are the obd II systems on the newer vehicles.

RiverDave
01-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Most ricers have bolt on catalytic converters between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust.. That's why your able to bolt on a header (note not "s") and exhaust..
I'll call a couple speed shops I know of tomorrow and see if anybody has a converter laying around.. Lots of guys (myself included in the past) run test pipes on cars for years.. ;)
RD

mirvin
01-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Hey Dave, what's a test pipe? And would there be any chronic involved with that??
mirvin :hammerhea

HCS
01-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Test pipes are great until smog time.
You can get them used even though the wrecking yards tell you they cant sell them. You just have to use the right lingo. I could pick you up a used one and ship it to ya. :D

RiverDave
01-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Test pipes are great until smog time.
You can get them used even though the wrecking yards tell you they cant sell them. You just have to use the right lingo. I could pick you up a used one and ship it to ya. :D
LOL... Smog time. :D Kinda makes you wonder how all those turbo'd civics running around Southern california do it every other year. :D Do you really think they pull the turbo? or in most cases pull the whole setup every other year? Hell no they don't.. You got a hundred bucks? I'll get that freakin camry smogged as it sits.. LOL
RD

HCS
01-25-2005, 05:07 PM
LOL... Smog time. :D Kinda makes you wonder how all those turbo'd civics running around Southern california do it every other year. :D Do you really think they pull the turbo? or in most cases pull the whole setup every other year? Hell no they don't.. You got a hundred bucks? I'll get that freakin camry smogged as it sits.. LOL
RD
We get em our shop. That's exactly what some guys do. They pull the stuff off and put it back on. What a hassle. With the dyno test is a little more difficult.
You have to put a different car on the dyno and punch in your info. Not that Iv'e ever seen it done. :D

THATJEFFGUY
01-25-2005, 06:06 PM
You can get aftermarket cats at muffler shops. We do it all the time here.
I just called the shop down the street and they said 250.00 or 300.00 for a 96 Toyota Camary.
The cars you can not get aftermarket for are the obd II systems on the newer vehicles.
The shops I called said it was an "obd II" system, which is why they are so expensive.

THATJEFFGUY
01-25-2005, 06:08 PM
I'll grab his card tonight and give him a call in the AM. At the very least, I can verify the price and if its a dealer item only.
Forensic <- Hopeing I remember the damn card.
Forensic, I'd appreciate that ! Let me know what you find out, and a price. Thanks !
PS...don't forget the card ! :cool:

Oldsquirt
01-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Jeff, if the Camry is a 4-cylinder, that cat is nothing like any of the "universal replacement" types available through the muffler shops/auto parts stores. It is a rather large diameter piece that bolts directly to the
exhaust manifold. If it is a V-6, a muffler shop should be able to hook something up.
RiverDave, it is now illegal for any wrecking yard to sell used convertors. Has been for several years. Don't know the logic other than the fact the wreckers can't prove the cat is functional.

THATJEFFGUY
01-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Jeff, if the Camry is a 4-cylinder, that cat is nothing like any of the "universal replacement" types available through the muffler shops/auto parts stores. It is a rather large diameter piece that bolts directly to the
exhaust manifold. If it is a V-6, a muffler shop should be able to hook something up.
RiverDave, it is now illegal for any wrecking yard to sell used convertors. Has been for several years. Don't know the logic other than the fact the wreckers can't prove the cat is functional.
So basically I'm screwed...and I gotta get it at the dealer then ? :(

HCS
01-25-2005, 10:40 PM
I must have got wrong info from the muffler shop since it's an obd II system.
OLDSQUIRTS your Toyota man.
I can find used systems through my connect at the wreckers. But you have to hope it works. It could be trial and error. Iv'e had good luck with his used systems so far........but you never know. There un-tested.

HCS
01-25-2005, 10:45 PM
So basically I'm screwed...and I gotta get it at the dealer then ? :(
I can make a call tomorrow on a used set up. My buddy ownes the yard.
It's worth a call. I can let you know. Freights the only problem. It would be a ping pong game if the set up fails. :notam:

THATJEFFGUY
01-25-2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks..it's worth a shot !

ROZ
01-25-2005, 11:32 PM
I can get 20% off, but you have to pay for shipping. They ain't going to send a truck up there :D

Oldsquirt
01-26-2005, 10:13 AM
Jeff, is it a V-6 or a 4 cylinder? If its a 4cyl, my parts guy quoted $170 for the cat(which seems way too low to me) and about $20 for the two gaskets needed. Invariably some of the studs will break off in the old cat, so add a few bucks more for that. Labor shouldn't be more than two hours, just depends on how rusty/stubborn the bolts are.

HCS
01-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Jeff, is it a V-6 or a 4 cylinder? If its a 4cyl, my parts guy quoted $170 for the cat(which seems way too low to me) and about $20 for the two gaskets needed. Invariably some of the studs will break off in the old cat, so add a few bucks more for that. Labor shouldn't be more than two hours, just depends on how rusty/stubborn the bolts are.
Are those a 2 cat system?

Oldsquirt
01-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Are those a 2 cat system?
As a matter of fact, Tom , they are. The "main" cat is the one attached to the manifold. The "sub"-cat is in the header pipe. Other than getting loose and causing a rattle, I've never seen a "sub" fail. I wish Jeff could provide more details. With OBD II, if the main cat had a problem serious enough to cause a smog failure, the system should have set a code P0420-"Catalyst efficiency low".

THATJEFFGUY
01-26-2005, 11:53 AM
It's a 4-cyl. That seems like a decent price...where is your guy at ?

Oldsquirt
01-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Jeff, I'm at a dealership in NorCal. That's the "list" price as quoted by one of my parts guys, but I have to repeat that it seems too low to me. Just didn't want to hassle the guy as I rely on him to pull me the correct parts every day. :D Just ask HARDCORE-SKI how much a pissed off parts guy can mess up a tech's day. ;)

HCS
01-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Jeff, I'm at a dealership in NorCal. That's the "list" price as quoted by one of my parts guys, but I have to repeat that it seems too low to me. Just didn't want to hassle the guy as I rely on him to pull me the correct parts every day. :D Just ask HARDCORE-SKI how much a pissed off parts guy can mess up a tech's day. ;)
There aren't any factory Nissan converters that cheep.
Jeff, did they say you needed to replace the back converter? or were they that specific. Wouldn't want to piss you off and get a wrong part. :rolleyes:
Just ask OLDSQUIRT he knows what it's like to get wrong parts. :D