PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Putting Rails Back On The Deck

Brian Ray
01-26-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm trying to find someone/company that could install the rails back on the deck of my '75 Eliminator daycruiser...I have all the brackets just need the tubing fed through and bent around the the nose to the other side. I've tried calling all the local boat shops in my area with no luck.
Do you guys have any suggestions...I was thinking of calling Eliminator but I'm sure they wouldn't give me the time of day.
Thanks.....

sanger rat
01-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Did you try West Marine or Boater's World? I'm sure I seen the tubing at both. You would have to cut to fit yourself.

deltarat
01-27-2005, 07:19 AM
Why put it back on. I have mine off and like the look a lot better, plus it makes it a lot eaiser to wash the bow. If you need parts or peices I think I still have them some where (I have moved twice since I removed it).

old rigger
01-27-2005, 08:52 AM
BR,
Are you putting back on the old rails and mounts? If so, it's a piece of cake.
Depending on which mounts you have, the old erector set kind with 3 pieces to them, the mount for the deck, the post and the piece that slides on the rail, or the one piece kind of mounts, or even the rails that are one piece, rail and mount welded together, the method of installing them are almost the same.
I'm guesing that you have the old 3 piece style so we'll go from there. Bolt, not screw, the mounts to the deck with the posts installed. Slide the rail mounts onto the rail and with a friend supporting the other end of the rail, start with the forward mount on either side of the hull. You can eyeball pretty close how much of the rail to leave sticking out past the first mount to eventually become the nose of the rail. Tighten up all the little allen bolts in the first mount, top and bottom ones, and then move to the next one back and repeat the process. Leave the last mount free (wraped in a rag and tape from the begining) and move to the other side. Install the v piece and make sure it's centered with the point or center of the bow, and work your way back again, installing the end mounts last on both sides. You leave the ends free til the end so you can LIGHTLY tap on the rail to shift it forward of back to get it centered. Tap with a nice dead blow hammer.
It's the same process with the one piece mounts, mount the first one to the to the boat on the front on either side, slide the rail in and work your way back. All the mounts are already on the rail, but not tightened down. Only tiighten them down as you work your way back.
Ya gotta have a friend or two to help with any of the set ups so ya don't scratch the fock out of the boat if the rail falls.
The welded rails are the hardest to install but only in regards to getting them centered with the nose of the boat, once you're happy with the first mount with one of those, the process is the same as the others.
Please through bolt the mounts to the deck with some nice SS hardware. Back up the underside with some large fender washers to help spread the load.
Hope this helps a little. :cool:

BOAT ANCHOR
01-27-2005, 09:01 AM
I'm trying to find someone/company that could install the rails back on the deck of my '75 Eliminator daycruiser...I have all the brackets just need the tubing fed through and bent around the the nose to the other side. I've tried calling all the local boat shops in my area with no luck.
Do you guys have any suggestions...I was thinking of calling Eliminator but I'm sure they wouldn't give me the time of day.
Thanks.....
Brian Ray:
There is a shop in Torrance Ca. (about two hours from Bakersfield Ca.) that goes by the name of "House Of Stainless". You will have to call information for their phone number. They are in the (310) area code. They do a lot of marine oriented stainless steel fabrication work, and they have a very complete tube bending capability in house. They should be able fab up the bow rail sections you need. Good luck.

old rigger
01-27-2005, 09:40 AM
opps, I guess I should read stuff better. I didn't understand that he didn't have rails. I used to use Riley Marine down in Long Beach for all our rails. Very nice SS work. I can get the number if you need.

Brian Ray
01-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Why put it back on. I have mine off and like the look a lot better, plus it makes it a lot eaiser to wash the bow. If you need parts or peices I think I still have them some where (I have moved twice since I removed it).
Do you still have the nose piece...it's the only piece I'm missing?? I have all the posts. The previous owner cut the nose off......

Brian Ray
01-27-2005, 10:40 AM
opps, I guess I should read stuff better. I didn't understand that he didn't have rails. I used to use Riley Marine down in Long Beach for all our rails. Very nice SS work. I can get the number if you need.
Thanks for the info on the install....
If you have the number that would be great as I'm not having any luck finding someone to install the rails....I don't mind driving.
Thanks for the help everyone!!

old rigger
01-27-2005, 11:45 AM
BR,
Riley Marine Products
840 W Ester
Long Beach
562 435 5233

AZKC
01-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Do you still have the nose piece...it's the only piece I'm missing?? I have all the posts. The previous owner cut the nose off......
Overtons or Boaters World will have the nose piece if your local boat place doesn't have it. I bought one here in Tucson off the rack when my set screws stripped. I've had my towel racks off and on over the years and I prefer them on for the most part. Riding up front seems a little more safe when you have something to hold on to.

deltarat
01-27-2005, 11:58 AM
I will look for that stuff when I get home.

Brian Ray
01-27-2005, 12:23 PM
BR,
Riley Marine Products
840 W Ester
Long Beach
562 435 5233
Thanks a bunch...I will be giving them a call shortly.
-Brian

Brian Ray
01-27-2005, 12:24 PM
I will look for that stuff when I get home.
Thanks....I will be waiting. :D

Brian Ray
01-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Overtons or Boaters World will have the nose piece if your local boat place doesn't have it. I bought one here in Tucson off the rack when my set screws stripped. I've had my towel racks off and on over the years and I prefer them on for the most part. Riding up front seems a little more safe when you have something to hold on to.
I looked in Overtons catalog and didn't see them... :( Depending on what Deltarat finds I will try Boaters World. ;)
Thanks....I like the look with the rails on too. :D

deltarat
01-28-2005, 02:20 PM
I didn't forget about you I am still digging through boxes in the garage looking.

AZKC
01-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Nothing at Overtons :( Well here's a link to BoatersWorld.com
Click Here for Towel Racks (http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchView?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&keyword=bow+rails&x=12&y=6)
:cool:

Sleek-Jet
01-28-2005, 03:05 PM
They also keep the oars from dinging the gel coat... :220v: :D

AZKC
01-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Very true :cool: Whats the deal ya gota bushwack me before Jordy does :notam: :D

Brian Ray
01-28-2005, 03:17 PM
I didn't forget about you I am still digging through boxes in the garage looking.
Patiently waiting.... :) Thanks again for looking.

Brian Ray
01-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Nothing at Overtons :( Well here's a link to BoatersWorld.com
Click Here for Towel Racks (http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchView?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&keyword=bow+rails&x=12&y=6)
:cool:
Thanks for the link...... ;)

Jordy
01-29-2005, 10:07 AM
Very true :cool: Whats the deal ya gota bushwack me before Jordy does :notam: :D
I never said anything about oars, but that is a good idea as a backup plan in case the wind isn't blowing that day. :D :D :D

Brian Ray
01-31-2005, 09:30 AM
Any luck with digging around??

flat broke
01-31-2005, 11:34 AM
Brian,
I have a complete bowrail setup from my Spectra 20 (should fit pretty well on your deal). It's been collecting dust for quite some time. If you want it, you're more than welcome to it. The part is in Torrance so it's a little ways off from Bakersfield, but it's not something you'd want to pay to ship.
Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Thanks,
Chris

deltarat
01-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Brian I have dug and dug and dug somemore, I cant find that peice or any of the other peices I know that I had for my rail.

Brian Ray
01-31-2005, 03:08 PM
Brian I have dug and dug and dug somemore, I cant find that peice or any of the other peices I know that I had for my rail.
Thanks for looking...things tend to disappear after awhile especially after moving a few times. ;)

Brian Ray
01-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Brian,
I have a complete bowrail setup from my Spectra 20 (should fit pretty well on your deal). It's been collecting dust for quite some time. If you want it, you're more than welcome to it. The part is in Torrance so it's a little ways off from Bakersfield, but it's not something you'd want to pay to ship.
Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Thanks,
Chris
Sending PM....