PDA

View Full Version : Generator Charging

BoatFloating
01-26-2005, 07:00 PM
As the boating season draws near if you want to run your boat stereo though a Generator and not worry about dead batteries your going to need one of these (http://www.cascadeaudio.com/prod/powersupp.html)
http://www.cascadeaudio.com/images/aps_2003.gif
And one of these to go with it (http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm)
http://www.iotaengineering.com/Power/iq.jpg
I'm a distributor for the Cascade products and I can save you quite a bit off the retail on these.
To run the APS75 you need the at least the Honda 2000 Generator.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Rocky

socalboater
01-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Is the cascade similar to the Iota?
What model would work with say 5 optima blue tops? Would it also act as a battery charger to plug and top off the batteries when done for the day?
Last, but not least how much are they?

BoatFloating
01-30-2005, 09:40 PM
Is the cascade similar to the Iota?
What model would work with say 5 optima blue tops? Would it also act as a battery charger to plug and top off the batteries when done for the day?
Last, but not least how much are they?
You could get rid of at least 2 batteries maybe 3 with this system.
Cascade is the audio version of the Iota. This way there is no hum thru the system when audio is playing. Cascade gets them from Iota and they add some things for audio quality. I use the APS75 amp one with my set up and it's perfect. You can plug it in at night at house or dock shore power to charge at night. They make a smart charger plug in that float, bulk and adsorbtion charges. I'll PM you the price.

AngryJosh
02-12-2005, 11:39 AM
I have no idea how this thing works. I just got a boat that can utilize a stereo system, and I want to do it right. I want to run two blue top optima's for the stereo, and another batt for starting purposes. I plan on having a pretty decent system, and have no idea where to start. Right now it has an orion amp thats running two JBL 12"s, and I think its powering the 6x9's too. No good!!
Anyways, what does this product do, and what will I need to make it work.

mbrown2
02-12-2005, 11:48 AM
I have no idea how this thing works. I just got a boat that can utilize a stereo system, and I want to do it right. I want to run two blue top optima's for the stereo, and another batt for starting purposes. I plan on having a pretty decent system, and have no idea where to start. Right now it has an orion amp thats running two JBL 12"s, and I think its powering the 6x9's too. No good!!
This unit becomes your power source in powering the system while your motors are off and your generator is on. You need a Generator like a Honda EU2000, and the Unit. The Generator sends 110 to the Cascade Unit and then the Unit sends at XX amps through the the batteries to the amps, headunit, etc...I run the Cascade 90amp unit with 3000+ watts and it works great.
The Cascade Unit has a Smart Module that you plug in after the end of day that will turn it into a three stage charger to top off your batteries at night.
When engaged as a power supply, this unit is powering the system. It might be going through the batteries, but the batteries are not a power source at this point, so that is why Rocky is saying you can dump a lot of batteries by going this way.
I run two Odyssey Batteries, one for each outboard engine and when I beach, I turn the on the generator and then it fires up the unit and the stereo plays off the Cascade Power Supply and Honda Generator.
Hope that helps.

AngryJosh
02-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Yeah that helps clear it up, but where in the hell can I put a generator on a 21 foot boat?? How big is it

mbrown2
02-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Yeah that helps clear it up, but where in the hell can I put a generator on a 21 foot boat?? How big is it
Might be tight in a 21. You might want to go with 1 starting odyssey, and 2 odyssey 1700's for stereo, or 2 Gel Filled 6 volts for the Stereo......Its about this big....btw, this is in the hatch of a 26 to give you a size perspective
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/17PICT0081-med.JPG

Blown Lavey
02-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Might be tight in a 21. You might want to go with 1 starting odyssey, and 2 odyssey 1700's for stereo, or 2 Gel Filled 6 volts for the Stereo......Its about this big....btw, this is in the hatch of a 26 to give you a size perspective
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/17PICT0081-med.JPG
Do your amps ever get real hot when playing with the hatch shut? Do you have fans on them, and if so do you have any pics?

Procraftkev
02-12-2005, 07:23 PM
My system uses to amps 2000 watts total. I have a 1000 watt honda gen could I run the smaller unit and still keep up with the draw from the amps.

Procraftkev
02-12-2005, 07:24 PM
How much are the units you have?

mbrown2
02-12-2005, 09:05 PM
You should ask Boatfloating about price and which size unit for the Honda EU1000....75 and over and you really need the 2000.

mbrown2
02-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Do your amps ever get real hot when playing with the hatch shut? Do you have fans on them, and if so do you have any pics?
If I am playing at 3/4 volume or more for long periods 2hrs...then they do get hot...yes they have fans on them, but it does help to barely crack the hatch...here are pics...fans are underneath the amp...also, this is when I had the Xantrex unit....blew two of those up, so I switched the Cascade...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/17PICT0106-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/17PICT0080-med.JPG

Procraftkev
02-13-2005, 08:19 AM
Are the fuel tanks in the picture for the gen,Dont look big enough for the engines.And is that the exuast plumming from the gen.That is one clean setup! :)

phebus
02-13-2005, 09:16 AM
I think those are the oil tanks for the whackas. The generator has a self contained fuel tank.

Blown Lavey
02-13-2005, 09:32 AM
If I am playing at 3/4 volume or more for long periods 2hrs...then they do get hot...yes they have fans on them, but it does help to barely crack the hatch...here are pics...fans are underneath the amp...also, this is when I had the Xantrex unit....blew two of those up, so I switched the Cascade...
Whats a good guess of the weight of the eu 2000?

phebus
02-13-2005, 09:49 AM
Per Honda, 46.3lbs.

mbrown2
02-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Are the fuel tanks in the picture for the gen,Dont look big enough for the engines.And is that the exuast plumming from the gen.That is one clean setup! :)
Phebus was correct, those are oil reserve tanks.....Also, DCB did great job of rigging this as it was their first generator setup...thx

LHC30Victory
02-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Boy that is a really cool setup! The rigging is first class no doubt and I like all the room you have.
I would like to do that on my boat...Oh wait a minute, I have MOTORS in there :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/778Victory_Twins.JPG

mbrown2
02-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Boy that is a really cool setup! The rigging is first class no doubt and I like all the room you have.
I would like to do that on my boat...Oh wait a minute, I have MOTORS in there :D :D
That might be a little tight... ;)

syke-o
02-14-2005, 01:13 PM
here is a link from ebay for the Honda generator
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64005&item=3874407916&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

BoatFloating
02-14-2005, 07:54 PM
My system uses to amps 2000 watts total. I have a 1000 watt honda gen could I run the smaller unit and still keep up with the draw from the amps.
You couldn't run the APS 75 or APS 90. You might be able to run the APS45. I would ned to know the amp draw of your amps to make sure.

Holland
02-21-2005, 07:45 PM
I found the eu2000i generators for $875.99 at a dealer in the north us somewhere, this includes sales tax and shipping! PM me and I will forward info tomorrow as it is on my desk at work! Now I have to find the rest of the equipment!

Krumbsnatcher
02-22-2005, 12:33 PM
I thought Blue Optimas were great for starting, but were not deep cycle. I know i run the Yellows becuase we kill em and then have to recharge overnight. The Yellows will come back after 10 recharges, I am not sure of the blues.

phebus
02-22-2005, 01:05 PM
I thought Blue Optimas were great for starting, but were not deep cycle. I know i run the Yellows becuase we kill em and then have to recharge overnight. The Yellows will come back after 10 recharges, I am not sure of the blues.
They make two different blue top Optima's. One is a starting battery (dark grey case), the other is a deep cycle (light grey case).

rvrhlic
02-22-2005, 01:45 PM
About how much are we tlaking about if I need the setup for the Honda EU2000?

BoatFloating
02-22-2005, 04:00 PM
About how much are we tlaking about if I need the setup for the Honda EU2000?
Depending on what unit you want APS 75 or APS 90 and smart charging module. I'll send you a price list.

Waldo
02-22-2005, 09:26 PM
That's just F'n beautiful man! I hope I see it in person someday!

mbrown2
02-22-2005, 11:16 PM
That's just F'n beautiful man! I hope I see it in person someday!
Thanks appreciate it...hopefully taking her out in two weeks...

Phat Matt
04-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Hey Rock, I think we need to talk. :D

BoatFloating
04-12-2005, 06:26 AM
Hey Rock, I think we need to talk. :D
Really....
:hammerhea Just let me know..... :220v:

Phat Matt
04-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Really....
:hammerhea Just let me know..... :220v:
I read up on those units and if I am reading it right I wouldn't need to add any extra batteries to the boat. I could run the genny setup to one of the starting batteries and run all the stereo stuff to that battery since you are running through the battery with the genny on...right?

BoatFloating
04-12-2005, 02:03 PM
I read up on those units and if I am reading it right I wouldn't need to add any extra batteries to the boat. I could run the genny setup to one of the starting batteries and run all the stereo stuff to that battery since you are running through the battery with the genny on...right?
On paper that's what it says, but in real life it doesn't work that way. You need 2 batteries so you have a little reserve. So you can run the stereo when genny isn't running riding through the channel or going down the river. What the genny/inverter do is keep your batteries at a stable level. So I think best case is 2 motor batteries and 2 stereo batteries and it's done and done right......
:D

Phat Matt
04-12-2005, 03:27 PM
On paper that's what it says, but in real life it doesn't work that way. You need 2 batteries so you have a little reserve. So you can run the stereo when genny isn't running riding through the channel or going down the river. What the genny/inverter do is keep your batteries at a stable level. So I think best case is 2 motor batteries and 2 stereo batteries and it's done and done right......
Then where is the weight savings if I am now adding 2 more batteries and a genny? Mbrown has his set up with a battery on each engine and fires it up as he beaches. If you are cruising the channel or running down the river your alternator would keep that battery charged. Am I wrong on this?

BoatFloating
04-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Then where is the weight savings if I am now adding 2 more batteries and a genny? Mbrown has his set up with a battery on each engine and fires it up as he beaches. If you are cruising the channel or running down the river your alternator would keep that battery charged. Am I wrong on this?
First of all Mbrown I think doesn't play his stereo as hard and long as we do all day. You go his way just go 2 odyessies and the inverter/genny and it should work for you. If it doesn't then you can add just one more batt. for a total of 3. Weight savings is small it's the deal to play all day. You heard mine Fri night did it skip a beat?????

Phat Matt
04-12-2005, 04:51 PM
First of all Mbrown I think doesn't play his stereo as hard and long as we do all day. You go his way just go 2 odyessies and the inverter/genny and it should work for you. If it doesn't then you can add just one more batt. for a total of 3. Weight savings is small it's the deal to play all day. You heard mine Fri night did it skip a beat?????
It did skip a beat...when you had to bail. :D But it was back later. I think I'll do 2 batteries off of one engine then. That should handle it.
Mbrown is running 3000 watts also. I'll be at 1600.

BoatFloating
04-12-2005, 08:19 PM
It did skip a beat...when you had to bail. :D But it was back later. I think I'll do 2 batteries off of one engine then. That should handle it.
Mbrown is running 3000 watts also. I'll be at 1600.
Watts and Amp draw 2 different ball games my young Skywalker..... Those JL you're going to get draw some power. The 2 batteries on one will work good.
:)

Phat Matt
04-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Watts and Amp draw 2 different ball games my young Skywalker..... Those JL you're going to get draw some power. The 2 batteries on one will work good.
:)
Have you ever looked into the Coleman generator. They use the same engine, and are fully enclosed as well. It doesn't say how many dB's they are at a full load so I just emailed them. The specs are real close to the Honda 2000. The Honda puts out 2000w max and is rated at 1600w. The Coleman puts out 1850w max and is rated at 1500w. The Coleman weighs about 20lbs more but has a slightly bigger gas tank.
Here is why I ask though. You can pick them up at Home Depot for $399. :D Less than half the price of the Honda. I'll let you know what the say about the dB rating.

mbrown2
04-12-2005, 09:37 PM
First of all Mbrown I think doesn't play his stereo as hard and long as we do all day. Hmmm? I have played it at 3/4 volume for 6-7 hours on a couple of occassions...basically ran the genny out of Gas or to right about empty....
Matt, 3000 watts of Rockford at 3/4 volume is drawing more amps then 1600 watts of J/L at same volume (I don't have problems with the power they put out, but shutting down from heat on occassion), but because of this massive AMP draw you will eventually run down a battery since the 90amp unit is not going to keep up with 120amps being pulled from possibly 2 to 3 amp running at 3/4 volume. This is why eventually even with a 90amp unit I might run down my batteries. Has not happened, but it will eventually if I played it long enough. I wanted to save weight due to the outboards, and the Genny was right for that setup.
However, if you are not worried about weight there are a couple different ways to go....6 Volt (maybe the best and no genny), Genny (the best with charging capabilities), Lifelines (simplest and Shadow plays all day), Oddyssey's (Great without the weight)...Just remember the Genny does add some complexity....I went through 2 Xantrex chargers, LaveySabre575 went through 2, and Rocky has been through at least one Cascade....I am still on my 1st Cascade.....but my 3rd charging unit....These things seem really plug and play until they BREAK.

Phat Matt
04-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Hmmm? I have played it at 3/4 volume for 6-7 hours on a couple of occassions...basically ran the genny out of Gas or to right about empty....
Matt, 3000 watts of Rockford at 3/4 volume is drawing more amps then 1600 watts of J/L at same volume (I don't have problems with the power they put out, but shutting down from heat on occassion), but because of this massive AMP draw you will eventually run down a battery since the 90amp unit is not going to keep up with 120amps being pulled from possibly 2 to 3 amp running at 3/4 volume. This is why eventually even with a 90amp unit I might run down my batteries. Has not happened, but it will eventually if I played it long enough. I wanted to save weight due to the outboards, and the Genny was right for that setup.
However, if you are not worried about weight there are a couple different ways to go....6 Volt (maybe the best and no genny), Genny (the best with charging capabilities), Lifelines (simplest and Shadow plays all day), Oddyssey's (Great without the weight)...Just remember the Genny does add some complexity....I went through 2 Xantrex chargers, LaveySabre575 went through 2, and Rocky has been through at least one Cascade....I am still on my 1st Cascade.....but my 3rd charging unit....These things seem really plug and play until they BREAK.
Decisions, decisions...

Party Cat
04-13-2005, 04:57 AM
Have you ever looked into the Coleman generator. They use the same engine, and are fully enclosed as well. It doesn't say how many dB's they are at a full load so I just emailed them. The specs are real close to the Honda 2000. The Honda puts out 2000w max and is rated at 1600w. The Coleman puts out 1850w max and is rated at 1500w. The Coleman weighs about 20lbs more but has a slightly bigger gas tank.
Here is why I ask though. You can pick them up at Home Depot for $399. :D Less than half the price of the Honda. I'll let you know what the say about the dB rating.
Matt...one thing to consider with the Coleman.....it may not be strong enough to push a 90 amp Cascade...Per the specs on a 75....the Honda has just enough to drive it....

BoatFloating
04-13-2005, 07:20 AM
Hmmm? I have played it at 3/4 volume for 6-7 hours on a couple of occassions...basically ran the genny out of Gas or to right about empty....
Easy there turbo...... I wasn't saying you don't play yours hard just haven't seen it. And I beleive that just because you have 3000 watts doesn't mean it will draw at the same Amps per hour at the same volume. Some units will draw more for true power.
So the one Cascade that broke on me was a defect and the 2nd one was replaced at no charge because I think I was using it with only 1 battery and it just couldn't handle the power draw. So this is why I went with another battery and no problems since.
The sickest stereo on the water today is Bill Auberlin's Carrera "Shaft". He's got over $40K in stereo alone. He uses 4 Optima's and the Cascade 90 with the Honda 2000 and that thing plays to sun up to sun down. The bottom line is you run a Genny you need 2 batteries for capicity. Like PC said the Coleman sucks and is a lot louder than the Honda. It won't run the Cascade 75 unit. I tried the Coleman since my work had one and didn't work well at all. So you have a lot of choices but you have time to do homework...... :smile:

Phat Matt
04-13-2005, 08:28 AM
Easy there turbo...... http://www.ezydvd.com.au/g/i/p/222587.jpg I wasn't saying you don't play yours hard just haven't seen it. And I beleive that just because you have 3000 watts doesn't mean it will draw at the same Amps per hour at the same volume. Some units will draw more for true power.
So the one Cascade that broke on me was a defect and the 2nd one was replaced at no charge because I think I was using it with only 1 battery and it just couldn't handle the power draw. So this is why I went with another battery and no problems since.
The sickest stereo on the water today is Bill Auberlin's Carrera "Shaft". He's got over $40K in stereo alone. He uses 4 Optima's and the Cascade 90 with the Honda 2000 and that thing plays to sun up to sun down. The bottom line is you run a Genny you need 2 batteries for capicity. Like PC said the Coleman sucks and is a lot louder than the Honda. It won't run the Cascade 75 unit. I tried the Coleman since my work had one and didn't work well at all. So you have a lot of choices but you have time to do homework...... :smile:
Homework is what I am doing. Coleman just emailed me back and they are at 73.1 dB at 3/4 load. Much louder than the Honda so I don't think I'll be saving money there. Rocky, do you have an exhaust hose hooked up to yours, or do you just keep the hatch open?

rvrpig
04-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Ya how do you guys exhaust the fumes from the genny? Can you plum it into the rugular boat exhaust with a pne way valve to keep the water exhaust out of the genny?

mbrown2
04-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Ya how do you guys exhaust the fumes from the genny? Can you plum it into the rugular boat exhaust with a pne way valve to keep the water exhaust out of the genny?
Exhaust is out the side into a fitting that looks like an additional bilge dump...it plastic tube (nasa stuff) that can withstand high heat wrapped in braid...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/653R-Generator.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/653Genny_Exhaust-med.JPG

rvrpig
04-13-2005, 08:25 PM
i saw that but thought it might be a fuel line...is that exhaust big enough not to back up and make the motor work harder....and i know it it whisper quiet...does the exhaust make it louder doing this?

mbrown2
04-13-2005, 09:10 PM
i saw that but thought it might be a fuel line...is that exhaust big enough not to back up and make the motor work harder....and i know it it whisper quiet...does the exhaust make it louder doing this?
No different then without...and the engine pretty much runs at an idle...

rvrpig
04-14-2005, 08:29 AM
sweet!

pussycat
04-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Homework is what I am doing. Coleman just emailed me back and they are at 73.1 dB at 3/4 load. Much louder than the Honda so I don't think I'll be saving money there. Rocky, do you have an exhaust hose hooked up to yours, or do you just keep the hatch open?
Matt, I'm at my buddies house. I exhaust it out the side thru a bilge dump fitting, works great....
Rocky

Phat Matt
04-14-2005, 09:16 PM
Matt, I'm at my buddies house. I exhaust it out the side thru a bilge dump fitting, works great....
Rocky
Thanks Rock...er I mean pussycat. :D

margarita island
04-25-2005, 08:13 PM
if 6volts are the best and also the least expensive and maybe the lightest why use the cascade methed other than the oveous

mbrown2
04-25-2005, 08:25 PM
if 6volts are the best and also the least expensive and maybe the lightest why use the cascade methed other than the oveous
It would have taken at least (4) 6 volts to get the time I am getting out of the APS90 with Genny...and do the math, two oddyssey 1200's with Genny is a lot lighter then (4) 6 volts + 1 1200 Odyssey for starting.....I have outboards, so I am weight sensitive...if I were not, I might look into (4) 6 volts, or maybe just go the way I did...many roads to the same place..

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Would this Be enough to run one JL 1000/1 and two JL 300/4's?
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/gen/ef1000iS.html

BoatFloating
05-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Would this Be enough to run one JL 1000/1 and two JL 300/4's?
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/gen/ef1000iS.html
No, your not running the amps your running an inverter. A 1000 watt Genny no matter what brand will run the APS inverter....
:messedup:

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-02-2005, 07:11 PM
pardon my ignorance, or maybe I missed your sarcasim, it will or will not work?

BoatFloating
05-02-2005, 07:18 PM
pardon my ignorance, or maybe I missed your sarcasim, it will or will not work?
The 1000 watt genrator isn't enough power to run the inverter that runs the amps. So the answer is no without any sarcasim... :D

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Back to the Drawering board. :messedup:

BoatFloating
05-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Back to the Drawering board. :messedup:
Or a Honda 2000.....
:D Only 46lbs...

Procraftkev
05-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Were do you get the nasa hose for the exuast,Boat floating can you show some pics showing the way you routed your exuast. :cool:

BoatFloating
05-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Were do you get the nasa hose for the exuast,Boat floating can you show some pics showing the way you routed your exuast. :cool:
It will be a couple weeks before I can get pictures. But I'll post when I do.

Procraftkev
05-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Need to know were to get the flexable exuast hose for the genny set up.Thanks

Phat Matt
05-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Rocky. PM me the price for the aps-90 and the iota.
Thanks
Matt

BoatFloating
05-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Need to know were to get the flexable exuast hose for the genny set up.Thanks
I use heater hose and it works fine. 500 degree stuff 3/8". I should have pictures of my setup after this weekend... :wink:

BoatFloating
05-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Here is my setup.... The heater hose is 3/4"
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/372IMG_0304_Medium_.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/372IMG_0302_Medium_.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/372IMG_0303_Medium_.JPG

phebus
05-28-2005, 03:48 PM
What is all that shit growing in your bilge?

BoatFloating
05-28-2005, 03:52 PM
What is all that shit growing in your bilge?
That's scratches on the distrbution center that has rust from moist air. Boats get wet..... :idea:

Procraftkev
06-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info boatfloating! :cool:

Phat Matt
10-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Here's a good winter project. :)

BoatFloating
10-13-2005, 06:30 AM
Your winter project is selling your other boat.

mbrown2
10-13-2005, 07:47 AM
With how long it took to build the E-Ticket, why was it not done when it was built? Seems like small potatoes to the system you had installed.....

Phat Matt
10-13-2005, 08:08 AM
With how long it took to build the E-Ticket, why was it not done when it was built? Seems like small potatoes to the system you had installed.....
It was. I was saying for someone else. :rollside:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524DSC01116.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524DSC01128.JPG

mbrown2
10-13-2005, 11:01 AM
It was. I was saying for someone else. :rollside:
Ahhh Grasshopper....install looks good. :)

FLOJO
10-13-2005, 07:12 PM
did you have to weld a pipe on the end of the genny exuaust. i have an eu 2000 and there doesent seem enough room to attach a hose with a clamp.

BADASS38CHEVY
10-13-2005, 08:01 PM
I had LaveyCraft wire up a bilge pump to the generator so when you fire it up it automatically sucks lake water from a pick up nozzle at the bottom outside of the transom and pumps it around the exhaust pipe to cool it down and then spits it out the bilge outlet under the swim step.The exhaust is vented with high temp hose that vents out the rear side with a bulge outlet.Very little heat with this set up.I will be at the absolute regatta this weekend for anyone that wants to check it out.