PDA

View Full Version : what does.........mean?

AntRant
04-19-2002, 11:41 AM
Just a couple of terms i dont get....."Blue Printing" and "Hook"

Hallett19
04-19-2002, 11:52 AM
blueprinting is like "optimizing" something to make it produce results to its fullest extent.....boy I sound smart..... if you blueprint and engine for instance, when I did mine, which is not a full blueprint, I deburred it, decked the block, I don't know all the steps of blueprinting and engine or the bottom of a boat, but I am sure someone else will. And a hook is a metal object of various size that is shaped like a J that is used for many reasons including fishing, picking things up, what not....... j/k http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

gnarley
04-19-2002, 11:58 AM
Hook in a boat is more like where the bottom meets the transom. The bottom not being straight anymore or being built that way can cause undesired affects(loss of speed). So one could blueprint the hull and bring it to spec by straightening the bottom again and getting rid of the hook.

Erik
04-19-2002, 01:10 PM
As I understand it, blueprinting something means to bring it back into original specifications. (as you would see it on the design blueprints)

HavasuDreamin'
04-19-2002, 01:26 PM
Blueprinting as I understand it means better than OEM specifications. All rods are the same weight (or very close), all pistons are the same, the block is decked evenly on both sides. Everything is basically perfect, and completely balanced. Anyone have a technical answer?

rivercrazy
04-19-2002, 01:46 PM
Blueprinting = to bring specs back to the way the manufacturer "originally intended". This is also rarely what comes out of the factory as "new", hence the term "intended".
Its called expense control.

gnarley
04-19-2002, 01:50 PM
Blueprinting is a funny topic in itself. Being a motorhead from way back I remember guys trying to Bench race talkin shi_ and sayin they had their engines balanced & blueprinted, and had the blueprints. That made me laugh cause they really didn't know how bad they really sounded tryin to BS and show off.

Hallett19
04-19-2002, 03:23 PM
not to sound like an ass, but, I think my description best describes blueprinting, when you balance and blueprint you are making it superior to stock, i.e. taking a stock motor, balancing the crank,polishing the crank, lighening the rods, balancing all the rotating mass, decking the block to make the pistons flat with the deck, deburr, paint the inside for better oiling, port the heads, port the manifold, so optimizing what you alrady have without upgrading pretty much

HBjet
04-19-2002, 03:41 PM
I know ChetCapoli has worked on the hook on his boat. I don't know how far along he is, but I'm sure he can shed some light on his experiecnes of removing hook.
HBjet

gnarley
04-19-2002, 03:52 PM
Maybe while were talking ‘bout hook, someone can shed some light on terminal hull speed as well?

rivercrazy
04-19-2002, 03:53 PM
Why would Chet worry about the hook? Doesn't Aggressors impeller and bowl give you like a guaranteed 8-10mph, right?
Sorry I couldn't resist. Just kiddin Chet!

1stepcloser
04-19-2002, 04:09 PM
he term "blueprinting" means that when reassembling an engine, all the tolerances of assembly are set to a given specification. As has been stated here allready, the block is line honed square to the bores, the deck surfaces are equal, the oil clearances are all set to equal given spec, etc. etc. It basically means to assemble an engine per the original manufacturers plans. i.e. "Blueprints"
"Hook" refers to the running surface of the hull not being flat, but having a concave surface. (picture a frown)
another term that goes along these lines is "rocker" it is the opposite of "hook" (picture a smile)

RiverToysJas
04-19-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser:
It basically means to assemble an engine per the original manufacturers plans. i.e. "Blueprints"
That's the way it was explained to me by my Father years ago (Dad, a Machinist by trade, street rod builder and former drag racer, I figured he should know).
RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Hallett19
04-19-2002, 04:37 PM
well don't I look stupid now ........ http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif But why do we have to blueprint an engine that is factory stock if that is how they designed it ?

MoJetBoPar
04-19-2002, 05:10 PM
"But why do we have to blueprint an engine that is factory stock if that is how they designed it?"
Production tolerances!!!!!
They were not always within "blueprint" specs! Mass production has its repercussions. Some brands of course were better than others.

RiverToysJas
04-19-2002, 05:10 PM
From what I under, it's because over the years tolerances open up. Everything needs to be brought back to spec. Performance will increase to what it once was, when new.

froggystyle
04-19-2002, 07:21 PM
Closer to the production tolerances explanation actually. Motors for the most part are "loose" from the factory. There is a several thousandths/tens range that all of the parts need to conform within. When a shop blueprints a crank, they will optimize it at "X" clearance which will provide you with the best result for your use. The factory will use "X" plus or minus .020 or whatever figure it is. When a motor is built for racing, the tolerances need to come down for reliability and power. This "slop" for lack of a better word is removed. This applies to cylinder wall clearance, rod weight, ring gap, crank weight, dynamic balance, torque settings etc... For an example, my factory Berkeley 12JG jet drive had a .075 end gap from the factory. This is very loose, and we "blueprinted" it down to .015 gap. This is very tight, and I need to be carefull going over sand and crap. It was not the best idea for the factory to set it at my tolerance, as it would result in more worn pumps due to careless driving, and the factory tolerance better suits most drivers, just as factory tolerances on an engine are made for the same reason (like your wife forgetting to add oil).
To blueprint the bottom of the boat is a less reliable term, as it usually means correcting a design flaw. Hook is built into a lot of boats designed for stern drives because it generates transom lift, and stabilizes the boat by dragging the front end more (from the increased transom lift). Jets hate hook, and it is often removed by "blueprinting" the bottom. The misnomer is that it may have been right on the original "blueprint" but the blueprint might have sucked. Blueprinting a bottom usually describes optimizing intake placement, adding material in front of the intake to better load the pump, removing the hook (measured in inches over a given run i.e. 3/8" over 6') and straightening chines and such. Keeping the chines and keel parallel is a tough job, and most recently designed hulls do it well. Older hulls were working with older tooling, and are not quite as right on.
Hope this helped.

RiverToysJas
04-19-2002, 07:32 PM
Look who has the big brain now! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

Bense468
04-19-2002, 07:53 PM
Where did you look that up at Froggy. I must say WOW

HAVNAFIT
04-19-2002, 08:28 PM
If Boat Cop takes Papa Smurf to the station for a B.U.I., does the smurf get blueprinted? And who hooked him up with the brew?

RiverToysJas
04-19-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by HAVNAFIT:
And who hooked him up with the brew?
Papa smurf looks every bit his age, I'm sure he has no trouble getting carded.
[This message has been edited by RiverToysJas (edited April 19, 2002).]

squirts
04-19-2002, 09:18 PM
........................- means hang on Im going to get another beer

AntRant
04-20-2002, 05:59 AM
Thanks all, You all help me understand a little better.