PDA

View Full Version : Billet Swim Steps

Taylorman
01-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Im considering buying a set of billet swim steps for my jet. Does anyone have these on their boat. Looking for likes/dislikes from someone who has them.
http://www.rexmar.com/images/page33.jpg

Duane HTP
01-27-2005, 08:37 AM
I got them. I love them. The ones with closed slots are nice to keep under water exhaust with a wild camshaft from continually spraying the engine.

flat broke
01-27-2005, 09:33 AM
If they fit the look of your boat, I think they're great.... BUT they cost a freaking arm and a leg. If I were going to buy, I'd probably go with the ones Mikey at Rex has, but something to think about... All they are is a .375" sheet of aluminum that has been cut and had some slots cut in it. See where I'm going with this?
The material to make 2 steps would cost between $40 and $50. Then you could either buy brackets, or make those as well. I don't have any pics of mine, but as you can guess, I machined my own. Even without a mill, this would be one of the more simple bandsaw/jigsaw and router projects to do with aluminum. Make your template in wood, cut as close as you can to the outside dimension of the template with a bandsaw or jigsaw, then clamp your work piece to the template, and use a laminate router bit with guide bearing on the bottom to get the external dimensions perfect. As long as your pattern has smooth edges and looks exactly how you want the part, the router will ensure that the aluminum does the same. Once you have the outer shape dialed, un clamp it, and run a 1/8 round bit with guide bearing to make the broken edges.
Spectra Joel on RRL turned me onto this method, and I use it when I need to make radiuses etc that would take forever to setup on an indexing table. But if you don't have a mll, it is a great way to make some custom parts. Billet is billet. Whether it came out of a mill, or was done with simple power tools, files and sanding. Either way, if you take your time and know what you want, you'll have a nice looking part when your done.
Chris

nielly
01-27-2005, 09:36 AM
Be careful with the ones with the slots. If you have kids and they like to jump off the swim step, their toes can get caught in the slot. ouch!!

djunkie
01-27-2005, 09:53 AM
I've got pretty much the same steps as those but I got them from eddie marine. They do have big slots that kids can get their toes caught in and they can be slippery but if you are careful then you should have no problems. They do have somewhat of a modern look to them though so if your boat is an older one than they may not fit the look of the boat.

Shark In The Pond
01-27-2005, 02:17 PM
I just put some on mine from Rex and had them powder coated and if this link works ( ? ) look in photo gallery under Sharks boat ? http://www.webspawner.com/users/kev0468/index.html (http://)

Shark In The Pond
01-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Thats what I thought ? I have them in Hot Boat Pics but can't get them here ?

esabataj
01-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Here you go Sharkie
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/9891My_steps.jpg

Shark In The Pond
01-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Here you go Sharkie
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/9891My_steps.jpg
Thanks bud ,here ya go Taylorman :cool:

clownpuncher
01-27-2005, 05:14 PM
I have some on mine. I like em, with a couple of exceptions. Like someone mentioned, some people, especially kids, can get there toes caught in the slots. One other thing that I don't like, but, have been able to live with is that they get kinda slippery. I'd recommend the one with the rubber-filled slots. All in all they look nice and have stood the test of time. 4 seasons now and they look new.

Lightning
01-27-2005, 06:08 PM
I have some on mine. I like em, with a couple of exceptions. Like someone mentioned, some people, especially kids, can get there toes caught in the slots. One other thing that I don't like, but, have been able to live with is that they get kinda slippery. I'd recommend the one with the rubber-filled slots. All in all they look nice and have stood the test of time. 4 seasons now and they look new.
I opted for the one piece teak step on my boat instead of the billet steps. Much more user friendly and less painful on the shins on entry. If you are going to spend that much, you may want to look into the one piece billet step that Dana makes.

Taylorman
01-27-2005, 06:50 PM
I like the one piece one, but its double the price. It would also block the cleanout hole on my pump.

Taylorman
03-09-2005, 02:53 PM
They make them in 12 and 16 degree mounts. I have a Taylor SJ. Anyone know which ones to get for that boat. How would you figure what degree i would need.

sdpm
03-09-2005, 03:30 PM
I have a "Brand New" set of Eddie Marine pt # 115-50BK 12"x24" Black steps with 16 deg. brackets that I will sell for $375.00 plus freight if anyone is looking. They have never even been unwrapped! :eek:

Duane HTP
03-09-2005, 05:34 PM
You need a 12 degree set to fit that Taylor.

BarryMac
03-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Duane,
I am considering these as well, would you happen to know what the degree of Angle for my '01 Carrera 202XR is?