PDA

View Full Version : Ford PU and SUV Recall

Havasu_Dreamin
01-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Commentary: At the risk of opening a whole Ford vs. GM debate, I'm posting this to inform the Ford owners.
Ford to Recall 792,000 SUVs, Trucks
Faulty Cruise Controls Caused Fires in Parked Vehicles
- The Ford Motor Company will announce a major recall of 792,000 Ford vehicles because of fires caused by faulty cruise control systems, ABC News has learned.
The entire 2000 model year of the Navigator, Expedition and F-150 truck will be recalled along, with a limited number of 2001 F-150 Super Cabs.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened an investigation into the problem in November, having looked at 39 incidents in which fires occurred.
At the time, Ford officials said they were cooperating with the agency's investigation.
All of the fires occurred when the vehicle was already parked and with the engine turned off, according to the NHTSA.
In some of the incidents, garages and a house have burned down. There are no reports of fatalities or injuries, though.
Ford does not have enough new cruise control systems in stock to make the changes to the vehicles, so people who bring their sport utility vehicle or truck back to the dealer will have their cruise control systems deactivated, rather than replaced.
The recall is not expected to bring an end to the NHTSA investigation because investigators are not convinced that other model years don't have the same problem. In November, ConsumerAffairs.Com reported receiving numerous complaints about similar problems with Ford trucks and SUVs from the 1997 model year.
In 1999, Ford had to recall 279,000 Lincoln Town Cars, Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford Crown Victorias from the 1992 model year because of the same problem.
Reprinted without the consent of ABCNews.com

HCS
01-27-2005, 11:16 AM
We had one burn down right in our lot. :jawdrop: Got to watch the fire dept. drop an axe through the front window while the customers truck flammed up.

OGShocker
01-27-2005, 11:32 AM
F.O.R.D. :D

a catered life
01-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Commentary: At the risk of opening a whole Ford vs. GM debate, I'm posting this to inform the Ford owners.
trust me this will!!!!!! :p

RiverDave
01-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Fock... Everytime I goto that dealership it costs me 3000... Now your telling me I gotta take my truck back?
RD

a catered life
01-27-2005, 11:45 AM
F.O.R.D. :D
did they make the pinto too right? :frown:

ratso
01-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Years back I remember taking my girlfriend to look for her first car... It was a toss up between a Pinto and a Vega. Anybody remember the Cosworth Vega???

HCS
01-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Years back I remember taking my girlfriend to look for her first car... It was a toss up between a Pinto and a Vega. Anybody remember the Cosworth Vega???
Yep. Black Cosworth with the aluminum dash.

ROZ
01-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Guess they can bring the "Fire On Road Daily" slogan back from 1973 :D

Froggystyle
01-27-2005, 12:32 PM
Don't forget the vaunted Mustang II... A real pony car. Shetland pony that is...

Havasu_Dreamin
01-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Fock... Everytime I goto that dealership it costs me 3000... Now your telling me I gotta take my truck back?
RD
Well, at least this time they should be paying for it and not you. :wink:

HEDJUG
01-27-2005, 02:01 PM
My 1994 F150 lit up right in front of a hospital maternity ward. I was taking the wife in for a visit when I noticed my brake lights & cruise control didn't work. The sensor that shuts off the cruise when you hit the brakes shorted out & blew the fuse. So, I replaced the fuse at the hospital parking lot & poof. Up in smoke.

RiverDave
01-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Well, at least this time they should be paying for it and not you. :wink:
That's what you think... I always end up paying for it. They'll say.. BTW we found this, this and this wrong.. and I'll say.. ****ing truck ran fine when I brought it to you for an oil change?
RD

Havasu_Dreamin
01-27-2005, 02:46 PM
That's what you think... I always end up paying for it. They'll say.. BTW we found this, this and this wrong.. and I'll say.. ****ing truck ran fine when I brought it to you for an oil change?
RD
ROFLMAO! :rollside:

ratso
01-27-2005, 02:49 PM
RD
River (I carry my own vaseline) Dave :D