PDA

View Full Version : What was your biggest cobble job?

Unchained
02-20-2003, 09:46 AM
Anyone who has wrenched on boats or cars for any length of time has at one time or the other had to cobble. So post your cobble's and don't be shy.
One of my biggest cobble's was when I had a 1966 Mustang back in 1974 ( 19 yrs old ). After I transplanted a bigger engine in it I decided I needed a roll cage. I looked in the Hot Rod magazine and it looked like the roll bar material in a funny car was about 1". I checked around and the only material I could find locally and cheap was BLACK IRON PIPE. So I got the old conduit bender and made the entire cage out of 1" black pipe. I couldn't find a good place to attach the end of the pipe so I tack welded it to the floor pan in the trunk.
Fortunately it never got tested.
CARUDE !

Blown 472
02-20-2003, 11:44 AM
68 torino wagon, gutted the car, put a kick ass 302 in it but it was not drilled on the side of the block for the stock shifter so I cut a hole in the floor and used a piece of rod up thru the floor for the shifter, yeee hawwww. :rolleyes:

Infomaniac
02-20-2003, 02:13 PM
Do not care to share "dumb ass" stories.
As a kid we used to make choppers out of our bikes. We would cut off old forks and hammer them on the existing forks. Really cool. Could not do that now days. Forks are too different.

Mandelon
02-21-2003, 09:52 PM
Cobble job? I did the front walkway, but I used sandstone... :D :D

HOSS
02-22-2003, 06:57 AM
Hate driving on cobblestone roads. Makes you feel like your operating a jack hammer.
Now if you meen ****ups, I`ve done that too. Put a cam in 180 out and blew the mufflers off my El Camino. That was scary then but real cool now. :p

Unchained
02-22-2003, 10:30 AM
I guess "cobbled up" is not a term used in other parts of the country.
Cobbled up is not a "dumb ass" story or a "****ed up" story.
It's doing something in a far less than professional way.
Crude but functional.
Example: The shifter broke off the dirt bike during the race so we used a pair of vise grips for a shifter to finish the race.
Example: The driveshaft broke on the four wheel drive truck so we laid a couple pieces of angle iron along side of it and welded them on to get home.
Example: The steering wheel hub broke out on the dunes so we had to use a pair of vise grips for a steering wheel to get home.

Infomaniac
02-22-2003, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the explaination.
My interpretation of cobbled up was at the time you thought you were doing it correctly but later on realized it wasn't worth a crap.
I am still thinking.
How many of us decided to leave it like that?

wfodude
02-22-2003, 01:27 PM
HOSS:
Hate driving on cobblestone roads. Makes you feel like your operating a jack hammer.
Now if you meen ****ups, I`ve done that too. Put a cam in 180 out and blew the mufflers off my El Camino. That was scary then but real cool now. :p Actually if i'm correct there is no way to install a cam 180 out on a chevy...1 revolution and its back in line...It is however VERY possible and easy to put the distributor in 180 out....scares the hell out of the cat when you light it up

Kindsvater Flat
02-22-2003, 03:52 PM
Well my only real experience was when the throttle broke at 9am for a day on the river. Rather than pack it up we just tied a piece of twine to the linkage and skied for the whole day. And yes I did have rope burns on the hand.

HOSS
02-22-2003, 04:03 PM
Was actually on a 305 chevy motor (`76). Very possible. Why wouldn`t it be. Timing marks on gears are both up with #1 TDC. But Cam mark down and crank mark up. Hence cam is 180 out. You are basically making a bomb. My bad, this was a 270 Isky cam. 2 bbl carb, blackjack headers, B&M shift kit set to neck snapper 350 trani with a stock stall. 1976 El Co Classic. First rod 16 years old. N 50`s on the 12 bolt rear with Michelin coil overs on all four. Alpine radio and cassette, alpine amp and eq, and 6 6x9`s. This was an orange block motor from factory. Some were blue and for some reason the orange ones were better. So I remember reading. Not in Tractor Pull either. :cool: Back in the days of being cool.1984,,,,I`m gettin` old.
If the cam is INSTALLED 180 out on any motor. How would any amount of revolutions bring it back? It is set. Wether by gear or chain. Your gonna have to explain that one to me. But wait. I`m going to get my 12 pack so give me an hour to get my groove on.
[ February 22, 2003, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

wfodude
02-22-2003, 04:41 PM
Because my friend the gears are different size....crank turns 1 turn the cam only turns 1/2 so one more rotation and she would have lined up.both up would turn into one up one down or dots together as we called it. if you really wanna freak out check the timing marks on a massey ferguson diesel..they only line up once in like 600 revolutions due to the different gear sizes..those were a real pain in the butt jawdrop

Sangster
02-22-2003, 05:04 PM
cob·ble2 v. –tr. cob·bled, cob·bling, cob·bles. 1. To make or mend (boots or shoes). 2. To put together clumsily; bungle: cobbled a plan together at the last minute :D
[ February 22, 2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Sangster ]

wfodude
02-22-2003, 05:35 PM
A.K.A. jury rig,jimmie rig or in my case okie rig

Mandelon
02-22-2003, 08:00 PM
I think that's supposed to be "Jerry Rig" after Germans, like they did in WW II cuz they couldn't get parts.
Isn't it nice how we are all so PC we don't say the other kind of "______"rig cuz it would be wrong? See, we can learn!

Infomaniac
02-22-2003, 08:17 PM
wfodude:
A.K.A. jury rig,jimmie rig or in my case okie rig Hey Now :rolleyes:

wfodude
02-22-2003, 08:30 PM
I think jerry is right the right term ....hey info no offense there bro .....you know I love your stuff....Besides Like my daddy once told me ...Hey I resemble that remark wink

HOSS
02-22-2003, 09:21 PM
The gears are different sized? Dude, rice burners are for you. But in fact,,,,they are less forgiving. Live and learn bro. Have fun. Dave, by the way how many names you and your potnas got. see ya tomorrow maybe.

Moomawnster
02-23-2003, 01:00 AM
My Econoline 300 van had a vise grip shifter on the column for 10yrs ...... Never "fixed" it cause it worked better than original ! :rolleyes:

Unchained
02-23-2003, 04:28 AM
Sangster:
cob·ble2 2. To put together clumsily; bungle: cobbled a plan together at the last minute :D THAT'S IT !
"Junkyard wars" is an example of cobbling on a mass scale.
Sangster, You going to Red Bluff in May?
A few of us Michiganders will be there.

Sangster
02-23-2003, 06:40 AM
Unchained...We'll be there Saturday, Spectating...We usually go to lake Berryessa that weekend(have for years).You bring a boat....

02-23-2003, 10:38 AM
Unchained:
I guess "cobbled up" is not a term used in other parts of the country.
Cobbled up is not a "dumb ass" story or a "****ed up" story.
It's doing something in a far less than professional way.
Crude but functional.
Example: The shifter broke off the dirt bike during the race so we used a pair of vise grips for a shifter to finish the race.
Example: The driveshaft broke on the four wheel drive truck so we laid a couple pieces of angle iron along side of it and welded them on to get home.
Example: The steering wheel hub broke out on the dunes so we had to use a pair of vise grips for a steering wheel to get home. Thats not cobbled....thats called a "field repair" and is legal and acceptable so that the fun may continue. :D

Fiat48
02-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Cobbled? Well, there was the time I stripped out the spark plug threads at a race with the Fiat. Was no time to fix between rounds, so I smashed a spark plug square, threaded it in with Devcon. Tied a wire cable to the plug and fastened the other end to the engine to stop it from shooting clear through the body should it come out. Plug came out at 3/4 track but we won the round.
Or the time we had an oil leak real bad at the back of the manifold. Used a kotex and duct tape on the back of the manifold to catch all the oil. Worked like a champ. though we took a little ribbing about that one, especially from the ladies. We just told them "some days are heavy, some days are light." We still carry them in the trailer.
Then there was the time on the Flatbottom that we broke the driveline cover at a race. Went to a hardware store and built one out of ABS. Guess you would call that 'cobbled." Now we need a thread on "greatest mistakes." :rolleyes:

02-23-2003, 07:35 PM
Fiat48, That qualifys as a "Between round field repair" and should earn a place for "Creative thinking under pressure" award. :D

Fiat48
02-23-2003, 08:29 PM
058:
Fiat48, That qualifys as a "Between round field repair" and should earn a place for "Creative thinking under pressure" award. :D :) Only thing that makes you wonder is sometimes the "cobbled repair" works better than it should. Example: We split a cylinder in a friends Blown gas hydro on the last qualify run at Phoenix. This was the world finals and we didn't want to give up. Pulled the head and there was #4 split from top to bottom. You could have put a pocket knife blade in the split it was so wide. We went to a hardware store and bought a bag of Quickrete, came back and filled the one side of the block. Just rolled the block over in the boat and filled the one side. Rerouted the cooling lines and figured we'd at least be in the first round. Whole crowd of racers were laughing at us. Next day and several rounds later, we won the event. Darn thing ran more consistant than ever! Quickrete was still holding when we got home and gave the block a decent burial. :D

Jordy
02-23-2003, 09:15 PM
wfodude:
if you really wanna freak out check the timing marks on a massey ferguson diesel..they only line up once in like 600 revolutions due to the different gear sizes.. Seems to me they had better be lining up about every couple revolutions in order for it to run.
As far as the cam being 180, if it's installed 180 out, it's going to be 180 out until it's corrected. If the crank makes 1 revolution, the cam timing mark will be horizontal and on the next revolution, the crank will be 180 out from the cam timing mark.
[ February 23, 2003, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: jordanpaulk ]

Keith
02-23-2003, 10:50 PM
cobble job eh? how about a blown radiator hose at 3 am on freeway. found a bread bag, i had a pack of zip ties in glove box... walked a ways to a creek and filled a gas can with dirty water, made the last 25 miles home. in college, i drove to another town 165 miles away to see a gal. in the way back. the oil light came on my POS car. a gas station 1/2 mile away had closed before i got there. found oil cans in trash can, an old car in the back became a donor. always have a pair of pliers handy!

HOSS
02-24-2003, 07:31 AM
Thanks JP! I thought I was the only one on this forum that knew how to install a cam. Or set timing for that matter. yeah, how bout that 600 revolutions. Must not burn too much fuel. Runs on residue and air. I`d like to buy one of those. Must get 600-1000 miles per gallon.
wfodude, your in the right forum, you just have to READ a hell of alot more. Its all in the chair. Gotta be comfortable to bench race and win.

02-24-2003, 08:41 AM
Fiat48:
058:
Fiat48, That qualifys as a "Between round field repair" and should earn a place for "Creative thinking under pressure" award. :D :) Only thing that makes you wonder is sometimes the "cobbled repair" works better than it should. Example: We split a cylinder in a friends Blown gas hydro on the last qualify run at Phoenix. This was the world finals and we didn't want to give up. Pulled the head and there was #4 split from top to bottom. You could have put a pocket knife blade in the split it was so wide. We went to a hardware store and bought a bag of Quickrete, came back and filled the one side of the block. Just rolled the block over in the boat and filled the one side. Rerouted the cooling lines and figured we'd at least be in the first round. Whole crowd of racers were laughing at us. Next day and several rounds later, we won the event. Darn thing ran more consistant than ever! Quickrete was still holding when we got home and gave the block a decent burial. :D The other racers were laughing???? Hell, I would have been giving you guys a standing ovation. Thats true "thinking under pressure." Its funny the things one can come up with when there is nothing else to loose.
[ February 24, 2003, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: 058 ]

wfodude
02-24-2003, 04:46 PM
jordanpaulk:
wfodude:
if you really wanna freak out check the timing marks on a massey ferguson diesel..they only line up once in like 600 revolutions due to the different gear sizes.. Seems to me they had better be lining up about every couple revolutions in order for it to run.
As far as the cam being 180, if it's installed 180 out, it's going to be 180 out until it's corrected. If the crank makes 1 revolution, the cam timing mark will be horizontal and on the next revolution, the crank will be 180 out from the cam timing mark. Nope and they run just fine ...good old diesel pigs.The gears stay in time just the marks dont line up...And as far as the chevy thing goes...get your timing set out and you will see piston number one is on top for overlap...both valves open.At this point those marks are dot to dot. Rotate the crank one turn and the valves are both closed...the position in which the ignition fires...both timing marks will be up Hence there is no way to put the cam 180 off only the relationship to the distributor can be off...

wfodude
02-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Oh yeah...My opinion didn't come from reading ..After 20 years of putting motors together 6 days a week I think I'm qualified to discuss cam installation on a chevy as well as a massey ferguson

Oldsquirt
02-24-2003, 05:24 PM
HOSS:
.....Timing marks on gears are both up with #1 TDC.
But Cam mark down and crank mark up.
Hence cam is 180 out...... The first statement is TRUE!
The second statement is the correct way to install a timing chain and gears. However, you have to remember that this is TDC for cylinder #6for a GM v-8
If you installed the gears as indicated in statement #2, then statement #3 is incorrect! Remember, cam gear has twice the teeth as crank gear. One rotation of crank will put the gears in the same location as in statement #1, which we all agree is correct cam timing.
The problem comes in when a person assumes that the chain and gears are installed at #1 TDC and then installs the distributor with rotor set to #1. You end up with the ignition timing 180 degrees off,not the cam timing.
[ February 24, 2003, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: OLDSQUIRT ]

Jordy
02-24-2003, 05:46 PM
OLDSQUIRT:
The first statement is TRUE!
If you installed the gears as indicated in statement #2, then statement #3 is incorrect! Remember, cam gear has twice the teeth as crank gear. One rotation of crank will put the gears in the same location as in statement #1, which we all agree is correct cam timing.
The problem comes in when a person assumes that the chain and gears are installed at #1 TDC and then installs the distributor with rotor set to #1. You end up with the ignition timing 180 degrees off,not the cam timing. I can agree with all this to the extent that it comes down to splitting hairs as the only reason the timing is out 180 is because the cam is out 180 correct?
I suppose it would run that way, but you'd have to correct the distributor 180 and time it treating #6 as #1 so the timing mark on the balancer would correspond right? Therefore, it would just be easier to put the cam in the right way the first time.
As far as the Massey deal, they must run 6 or so gears off the crank and up to the cam unless the 600 revs to line the marks back up was a gross exageration. I know alot of those old diesels had a hell of a setup to run the cam.

Oldsquirt
02-24-2003, 06:04 PM
JP, been doing this for a living for 25+ years.
Remember #1 TDC and #6 TDC both occur at the same point on crankshaft.
Here's the correct procedure. Install chain and gears with marks together(crank mark up, cam mark down). This ensures the timing of cam-to-crank is correct. Rotate crank 360 degrees. This puts cam mark up and crank mark up, again. Install distributor with rotor set to #1. Done. Nothing fancy, no tricks.
What I dont understand is why it ever became industry standard for marks not to be lined up at their closest point on Cylinder #1 as opposed to Cylinder #6.

HOSS
02-24-2003, 06:06 PM
Ok, cam timing is crucial on a diesel in order for the fuel pump to operate correctly.
I did state tdc #1 first post I believe.
wfodude, putting together motors for 20yrs 6 days a week and not learning a damn thing is telling me that you are a parts changer at best. When you stated the #1 valves were open, that IS #6 tdc. Do you understand that? If you install the cam with both marks straight up with #6 TDC, you cam is 180 out. Period. Spin motor one revolution or 360 crank rotation only puts #1 at top dead center but the cam is still 180 out. Now the cam mark is on the bottom and the crank gear is on the top. So how do you figure that its in time? It is impossible to be so.
I am guessing that you deal with 2 stroke detroits. remember that all the motors we are referrencing are four strokes! This means that from intake charge to exhaust charge takes 2 complete revolutions of the crank gear and 4 revolutions of the cam gear. Notice the 2to 1 ratio. You just ended up back where you started with marks. Where did we ever come into time? And that was 2 360 revolutions of the crank.
JP, run? yeah if balls of lit gas flying out the top of carb is running then I guess that is. Remember, I blew the california turbos off my El Co! This does not work. Put your timing belt one tooth off. It runs but like shit. Put it off three and it`ll crank all day with nothing.
Gee, why didn`t I just turn the motor 360 and line up the marks? idea Dude, you haven`t even made bench racer status. And if you really believe this bullshit, you never will.
One serious question? Who do you work for? Honestly. I promise I will do everything I can to make damn sure NO ONE I know buys a motor that you may have built! :rolleyes:

Jordy
02-24-2003, 06:22 PM
OLDSQUIRT:
Here's the correct procedure. Install chain and gears with marks together(crank mark up, cam mark down). This ensures the timing of cam-to-crank is correct. Rotate crank 360 degrees. This puts cam mark up and crank mark up, again. Install distributor with rotor set to #1. Done. Nothing fancy, no tricks. I understand all this. It's just when we're talking timing versus the cam being out 180 and my point was, the only reason the timing was out 180 is because the cam was out the same, at least that's how I understand it. Too much thinking going on in here. :D

HOSS
02-24-2003, 06:29 PM
JP, I know you got it. Simple. Dude apparently does not get it. Like you stated the only way to fix it was to re-stab cam. Maybe take chain off and turn crank but then you risk hitting the valves. Might not but I wouldn`t chance it. Not good practice. No matter how many revolutions one does, out is out.
Next crisis.

Oldsquirt
02-24-2003, 06:39 PM
Try thinking less JP, it's a very simple concept.
180 camshaft degrees = 360 crankshaft degrees. If you think your cam is off 180 degrees, you could take off the chain rotate the cam 180 degrees and put chain back on. Or you could do the simple thing and rotate the crank 360 degrees. End result is EXACTLY the same. Like I said before, the big problem comes in when you install the distributor. You must rotate the crank 360 degrees after installing the chain and gears to put engine at #1 TDC on compression stroke. Then you can install distributor set to fire #1. I've seen plenty of novices forget this step. It leaves the ignition timing 180 off. No amount of cam re-timing will correct this condition.
Lot of words for a simple concept, huh? :D

HOSS
02-24-2003, 07:19 PM
I got one. Since we have figurred out simple camshaft installation I feel this post is ready for it.
In relation to the rear of the block, (wfodude) what is the correct degree of crankshaft installation? Hint: this is a trick question. :D

Sangster
02-24-2003, 07:25 PM
I don't know what the hell to say.....

Jordy
02-24-2003, 07:25 PM
OLDSQUIRT:
Try thinking less JP, it's a very simple concept.
180 camshaft degrees = 360 crankshaft degrees. If you think your cam is off 180 degrees, you could take off the chain rotate the cam 180 degrees and put chain back on. :D I understand all that Oldsquirt and I just prefer to do it right the first time so the crank, cam and distributor are all on the same page. It's the realm of the theoretical that we're in now. If somehow the cam ended up 180 out, I'd just fix it and set it up like I normally would and not mess with running the distributor 180 out. I like to keep that kind of stuff simple. :D

wfodude
02-24-2003, 07:35 PM
HOSS:
JP, I know you got it. Simple. Dude apparently does not get it. Like you stated the only way to fix it was to re-stab cam. Maybe take chain off and turn crank but then you risk hitting the valves. Might not but I wouldn`t chance it. Not good practice. No matter how many revolutions one does, out is out.
Next crisis. Wrongo big fella...you are the gentelman who does not get it..The block goes together first....you CAN NOT GET THE CAM 180 OFF ON A CHEVY after that the distributor CAN be installed 180 off the cam so...take the distributor out and re time it.lift it up and move it 180 degrees.bingo bammo done thank you very much

HOSS
02-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Huh?

Jordy
02-24-2003, 07:46 PM
HOSS:
This means that from intake charge to exhaust charge takes 2 complete revolutions of the crank gear and 4 revolutions of the cam gear. Notice the 2to 1 ratio. You just ended up back where you started with marks. Where did we ever come into time? And that was 2 360 revolutions of the crank. Hey Hoss, I hate to say it, but 2 revolutions of the crank is only 1 revolution of the camshaft.

Sangster
02-24-2003, 07:46 PM
HOSS:
Huh? Now that's the I see it too.....

Jordy
02-24-2003, 07:48 PM
So even if the cam was 180 out, a complete revoltion of the crank puts them back in time as the cam has only turned 180 and the crank has gone 360 so the timing mark is back at the top where it started. :D

wfodude
02-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Jordy...you got it...you totally freakin got it....thank you lord for granting my prayer. :D ......sorry I don't mean to act like a smart ass ..but that is exactlly my point I was trying to make...ok then lets get back to cobble jobs oh yeah the diesel...it does have like 7 timing gears all different size

HOSS
02-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Your right JP. My bad. The other way. Now why didn`t wfodude catch that?

HOSS
02-24-2003, 07:57 PM
Wrong wfodude.
Listen carefully: however the cam is install (no matter what degree) it is impossible for the degree to change no matter the amount of revolutions relative to piston position on given stroke.
I`m sorry. GOD made the law of physics.

Jordy
02-24-2003, 07:58 PM
wfodude:
Jordy...you got it...you totally freakin got it....thank you lord for granting my prayer. :D ......sorry I don't mean to act like a smart ass ..but that is exactlly my point I was trying to make...ok then lets get back to cobble jobs oh yeah the diesel...it does have like 7 timing gears all different size I understand all this stuff, diesels too, but just wasn't using the mechanical side of my thinker to picture it all... guess the short bus can skip my house tomorrow. :D

HOSS
02-25-2003, 02:49 PM
wfodude, I owe you a big apology. I see what you are saying. I am a blowhole. Sorry bro. Just now checked sight and actually read it. Your are right. Ok everyone I suck. I am a bench racing fag. But point being, the cam can and was installed 180 out. I just didn`t have to re-stabb for a 180 out scenario. Just re-stab distributor after the revolution.
Damn that hurt! **** eek!
[ February 25, 2003, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

rivercrazy
02-25-2003, 03:12 PM
HOSS
Your are right. Ok everyone I suck. I am a bench racing fag.
Damn that hurt! **** eek! [/QB]Just had to get that recorded!

rivercrazy
02-25-2003, 03:12 PM
But is it possible to install a PCV valve 180 degrees out? LOL! :D

HOSS
02-25-2003, 03:15 PM
I`m sure your not the only one. This is gonna leave a scar. Damn that hurt. :D

rivercrazy
02-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Sorry Bro. I just had to do it!

Froggystyle
02-25-2003, 04:19 PM
The server doesn't have enough space to allow me to go into detail on everything I have done to get myself or one of my group home from a rock crawling event in my old Scout.
One that comes to mind right away is the two vice grips (I'm sensing a theme with vice grips and cobble jobs) holding a flat plate onto a broken main leaf on another guy's scout. To further the repair, I wrapped the whole shindig in 1" tubular nylon and called it a day. Worked great.
Another good one was after breaking a heim-joint on the steering arm, I routed more 1" tubular nylon to pull the knuckle on the wheels to turn left, as well as pull them to turn right. The tie rod kept them aligned, and this got me to the road where I could go scrounge a welder from a nearby Navy base (Warner Springs)

wfodude
02-25-2003, 09:30 PM
It's all good bro....sometimes my feet taste like crap too...no worries I'm just glad we're all on the same page...Thanks

HOSS
02-26-2003, 08:33 AM
Just wondering wfodude. Forgive me cause I shouldn`t but just what do you meen by your feet tasting like crap? Is that within itself a cobble? Does this remark pertain to a stinky foot fetish? Just had to ask. Now that we`ve made it through the correct definition of cobble, and I now understand that I didn`t have to re-stab the cam meerly re-stab distributor (no shit, Jesus), does this belong in the test post forum under secret forum? :p

Froggystyle
02-28-2003, 11:16 AM
I think he was referring to the famous "Put foot "A" into Mouth "B" dillemma"