PDA

View Full Version : What Do you Think

CARRERA
01-29-2005, 10:22 PM
What do you think about the DOLLAR amout the new boats are going for? :idea: :idea:

AirtimeLavey
01-29-2005, 10:29 PM
Re-freakin-diculous!!! :2purples:
They are clearly looking for the top of what the market will bear. I talked to one well known custom mfr. and asked if he does well in the mid-west, and he said not really, because these things cost more than a lot of houses in the mid-west. It's a shame, because I think they're missing a great opportunity there...just not at these prices. :boxed:

plaster dave
01-29-2005, 10:30 PM
What do you think about the DOLLAR amout the new boats are going for? :idea: :idea:
I think they are smoking some good stuff. My buddy want a new boat but everything that we saw was $ 65,000.00 to ?????? thats so crazy. :cry: :rollside:

Nubbs
01-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Absolutely ridiculous. However, something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay, and people are still willing to pay the prices.

BarryMac
01-30-2005, 08:00 AM
Pretty nuts IMO, I as looking at a Custom four years ago for about 30K, last year when I got really serious about buying another boat the same boat was 42K, crazy how many people are spending that much cash, but if you can afford it why not...

CARRERA
01-30-2005, 08:00 AM
I think they are smoking some good stuff. My buddy want a new boat but everything that we saw was $ 65,000.00 to ?????? thats so crazy. :cry: :rollside:
It's gotten to the point where some people are not able to buy what we call a boat now day.

a catered life
01-30-2005, 08:09 AM
boating is slowly becoming a field where the mid-average family can afford to play in (used boats of course). the suck part is that the mfr. know this and are making the changes to make more money. the same boat 3 or 4 years ago from any mfr. cost 10-12 grand today but they only give you one more cup holder and another storage locker :confused:

Coleitis22
01-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Absolutely ridiculous. However, something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay, and people are still willing to pay the prices.
hey a 496 engine package costs more now than my first house. That's how old I am. Labor and workers comp costs are off the charts and dealer markup is fairly extreme. Hey Nubbs, post some pics of your Golf Carts ;) ;)

ECeptor
01-30-2005, 10:09 AM
If the market supports it, I say more power to 'um.
Personally, I don't have that kind of $$$.
I do think there would be a huge market for older boat with new interiors, rebuilt engines and outdrives, and modern paint jobs. Would cost a fraction of new plus insurance and registration would be much cheaper.

RiverOtter
01-30-2005, 10:20 AM
I think it's good to be in the business of manufacturing custom boats. Buyers don't seem to question the prices of these things so you can charge whatever you want.

Daytona100
01-30-2005, 11:03 AM
You wants to play you gots to PAY!!! Alot of the manufacturs will sell bare and prerigged hulls. If you add your own power you can save a shitload of cash. Also its alot cheaper to insure a 40.000 dollar boat than a 120.000 dollar boat. Most insurance companys only insure financed amount. Save alot of money and just buy a sea ray or bayliner and hide in the cove. :idea: :idea:

Krazy K
01-30-2005, 12:18 PM
My dad has rigged both his boats himself to save money. Our 1977 Charger (Tahiti) was bought as a bare hull with the engine and pump installed. Dad did everything else. About $5000 in 1977. Sold it in 1993 for $4500.
I think today's boat prices are ridiculus! For $65k you could buy a very nice used boat, a rig to tow it with and a bunch of toys to go with it, a couple dirtbikes and quads, and have money left over to have a major beer bash!!

Kahuna
01-30-2005, 12:23 PM
One of the eliminators at the boat show was listed for $285,000, it was a nice boat but what are they thinking. :idea:

Havasu Hangin'
01-30-2005, 12:30 PM
I know most of the custom builders are still backed up with orders (supply and demand).
However, when interest rates go up...I'll bet the prices start coming down (I'll bet a few even fold up shop).

NashvilleBound
01-30-2005, 12:40 PM
I know most of the custom builders are still backed up with orders (supply and demand).
However, when interest rates go up...I'll bet the prices start coming down (I'll bet a few even fold up shop).
I couldnt agree with you more. Its pretty crazy. Shoot, if I was building boats I would be doing the same thing. Last year when I started my quest for the new ride it was $100k..no more (if THAT isn't lame enough) now I am just under $150k....no more, so far. If my Ultra doesnt sell I'll be at $200k by the end of the year. Maybe I should just give it away to save some money :idea: :idea: :idea: :messedup:

Kahuna
01-30-2005, 12:43 PM
If you want a new boat at a good price you have to shop around and not look at the name of the boat. I got a new 21 foot with a 6.2 for $35K and another guy I met at the got a similar boat at the same time from a different manufacture but with a 350 and a Alpha drive and paid $50K. I did a lot of looking around before I got my boat. :idea:

Havasu Hangin'
01-30-2005, 12:52 PM
I couldnt agree with you more. Its pretty crazy. Shoot, if I was building boats I would be doing the same thing. Last year when I started my quest for the new ride it was $100k..no more (if THAT isn't lame enough) now I am just under $150k....no more, so far. If my Ultra doesnt sell I'll be at $200k by the end of the year. Maybe I should just give it away to save some money :idea: :idea: :idea: :messedup:
Another thing to look at is the used market. The used market is very soft, which is most likely due to the fact that it's tougher to finance a used boat.
Since there's not as much expendable cash out there...so the slowdown for builders is bound to catch up when interest rates rise. That will separate the big dogs from the little pups (who spend like the big dogs).
Like you said, they retail price what the market will bear- I'd do the same thing.

lost boy
01-30-2005, 01:00 PM
It won't matter as long as the seller's,buyer's can come up with a payment that is easy to swallow. For some people it is to hard to say NO...!
Remember it is so important to keep up with the JONE'S

CARRERA
01-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Another thing to look at is the used market. The used market is very soft, which is most likely due to the fact that it's tougher to finance a used boat.
Since there's not as much expendable cash out there...so the slowdown for builders is bound to catch up when interest rates rise. That will separate the big dogs from the little pups (who spend like the big dogs).
Like you said, they retail price what the market will bear- I'd do the same thing.
I think one reason for the "soft use market" is the cost of buying a new one. So a lot of us are just keeping what we have.

RiverOtter
01-30-2005, 04:55 PM
:idea: mmmmmmmm maybe I should quit investing in FL real estate and start building custom boats :idea:

JB in so cal
01-30-2005, 04:56 PM
If you want a new boat at a good price you have to shop around and not look at the name of the boat. I got a new 21 foot with a 6.2 for $35K and another guy I met at the got a similar boat at the same time from a different manufacture but with a 350 and a Alpha drive and paid $50K. I did a lot of looking around before I got my boat. :idea:
Agreed.
Prior to buying my boat, I looked hard at the deck boat from American Offshore. Conquest/Magic bottom, same layout as the original Conquest and with decent power was in the low $80's.
I just couldn't get around the AO "reputation" and that I'd be buying it from a Ski Boat dealer.
JB

slink
01-30-2005, 05:05 PM
It won't matter as long as the seller's,buyer's can come up with a payment that is easy to swallow. For some people it is to hard to say NO...!
Remember it is so important to keep up with the JONE'S
It's no longer keeping up w/ the jones' its "Keeping up with Kilrtoy" 05' vette 05' GMC 2500hd and 05' DCB 26' w/twin 300 in 6 months. Not bad for a civil servant. Who said crime don't pay :eek:

Kilrtoy
01-30-2005, 05:19 PM
It's no longer keeping up w/ the jones' its "Keeping up with Kilrtoy" 05' vette 05' GMC 2500hd and 05' DCB 26' w/twin 300 in 6 months. Not bad for a civil servant. Who said crime don't pay :eek:
Now thats funny, remember when you die with that big huge bankaccount and sancho is enjoying it....., Cuz im dying broke....with a BIG AZZ SMILE ON MY HAPPY LIFE.....
But I do know SOMEONE ON HERE trying to keep up with the Kilrtoy's, they are failing miserably :yuk:
P.S. it was 3 months

coolchange
01-30-2005, 05:26 PM
I've talked to a few manufactures and their point of view is why build a 100 boats a year when I can just build 20 really expensive ones.

Nubbs
01-30-2005, 05:45 PM
hey a 496 engine package costs more now than my first house. That's how old I am. Labor and workers comp costs are off the charts and dealer markup is fairly extreme. Hey Nubbs, post some pics of your Golf Carts ;) ;)
Check your pm's and email.
Nubbs

CARRERA
01-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Now thats funny, remember when you die with that big huge bankaccount and sancho is enjoying it....., Cuz im dying broke....with a BIG AZZ SMILE ON MY HAPPY LIFE.....
But I do know SOMEONE ON HERE trying to keep up with the Kilrtoy's, they are failing miserably :yuk:
P.S. it was 3 months
Kilrtoy, are you sure your last name is not Jones?

Coleitis22
01-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Hey , What does Kilrtoy do for a living. He sure seems to be in the spotlight lately. Does he have a Farm in Colombia???? :confused: :confused:

missboatnam1
01-30-2005, 06:01 PM
it think its totally flipin crazy what the prices are!! just thought id give my .02 :hammer2: :hammer2:

NashvilleBound
01-30-2005, 06:34 PM
it think its totally flipin crazy what the prices are!! just thought id give my .02 :hammer2: :hammer2:
Tina, Could not have said it better myself ;)

throwerb
01-30-2005, 06:50 PM
I say give it to the first guy that shows up at your house. I'm leaving now and I'll buy dinner at (guess who's standing over my shoulder) Logans!

NashvilleBound
01-30-2005, 06:52 PM
I say give it to the first guy that shows up at your house. I'm leaving now and I'll buy dinner at (guess who's standing over my shoulder) Logans!
Pork chops again eh?? lol.....

RiverOtter
01-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Pork chops again eh?? lol.....
Y'all gotta meet me and MrsRiverOtter at Pearls one night and get over this Logans thing. Check it out www.pearlscafe.com

NashvilleBound
01-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Y'all gotta meet me and MrsRiverOtter at Pearls one night and get over this Logans thing. Check it out www.pearlscafe.com
You name the time and date....looks good to me!!! Making me hungry....

RiverOtter
01-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Here's another on the same exit www.highpointrestaurant.net

throwerb
01-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Looks good to me too.

NashvilleBound
01-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Here's another on the same exit www.highpointrestaurant.net
Ok...THATS IT!! Make reservations for the weekend of their opening. Escargot...Seafood.....Oysters....I am counting the days. No prices on their menu...they way I like it. My wife only looks at prices...kills me. Just order what looks good already:) See if you can get a private room or special table area. I always like to make it memorable.......

NashvilleBound
01-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Looks good to me too.
This guy a friend of yours RO??? He's been following me all around....cant shake him;)
It looks like the High Point doesnt open for two weeks.... Looks like its worth the wait tho.

RiverOtter
01-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Ok...THATS IT!! Make reservations for the weekend of their opening. Escargot...Seafood.....Oysters....I am counting the days. No prices on their menu...they way I like it. My wife only looks at prices...kills me. Just order what looks good already:) See if you can get a private room or special table area. I always like to make it memorable.......
:idea: mmmm you mean like Beaumont memorble or good food memorble?? :D Would Friday or Sat be better?

NashvilleBound
01-30-2005, 07:20 PM
:idea: mmmm you mean like Beaumont memorble or good food memorble?? :D Would Friday or Sat be better?
Either day is ok for us....were always free. ...and its good food/friends memorable. Cant say I do things Beaumont style;)

RiverOtter
01-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Either day is ok for us....were always free. ...and its good food/friends memorable. Cant say I do things Beaumont style;)
Whew.... I don't wear pasties well :D We'll make some calls tomorrow :mix:

NashvilleBound
01-30-2005, 07:26 PM
Whew.... I don't wear pasties well :D We'll make some calls tomorrow :mix:
Not that there is anything wrong with B'mont style:) just not for me.... been there done that :D

RiverOtter
01-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Not that there is anything wrong with B'mont style:) just not for me.... been there done that :D
Mrs prefers Friday night. Make it for 6?? Y'all, us, and the Throwerb's? Anybody else?

NashvilleBound
01-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Mrs prefers Friday night. Make it for 6?? Y'all, us, and the Throwerb's? Anybody else?
High Point wont be open so anywhere you choose is cool. Fridays good for us....Brad should be chiming in soon too...if not I will call him tomorrow. I am sure we'll talk before then.....

RiverOtter
01-30-2005, 07:30 PM
High Point wont be open so anywhere you choose is cool. Fridays good for us....Brad should be chiming in soon too...if not I will call him tomorrow. I am sure we'll talk before then.....
Won't be open?? Did I miss something?

NashvilleBound
01-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Won't be open?? Did I miss something?
Didnt it say it is opening Feb 14th or something??? Or was it Jan? duhh....
Its been a long day.....
I checked....Jan 12th...pretty sharp eh??? I dont miss anything :rollside:

RiverOtter
01-30-2005, 07:33 PM
Didnt it say it is opening Feb 14th or something??? Or was it Jan? duhh....
Its been a long day.....
Donno, but I'll call them 1st if not there then Pearls. Then we'll do a spring thing in the nooga involving boats and good weather. Course since y'all are used to towing for long distances.... You could tow that new deckboat to my condo at the FL panhandle :D

NashvilleBound
01-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Donno, but I'll call them 1st if not there then Pearls. Then we'll do a spring thing in the nooga involving boats and good weather. Course since y'all are used to towing for long distances.... You could tow that new deckboat to my condo at the FL panhandle :D
Hmmmm...new deckboat??? Have no idea what your talking about :220v: :220v: :220v: Give me a call tomorrow and let me know what they say. I'll call Brad if he doesnt respond.. Boss says its bed time for the kids...so gotta run...

RiverOtter
01-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Hmmmm...new deckboat??? Have no idea what your talking about :220v: :220v: :220v: Give me a call tomorrow and let me know what they say. I'll call Brad if he doesnt respond.. Boss says its bed time for the kids...so gotta run...
Headed the same way. :sleeping:

RiverOtter
01-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Ok, I went back to the website and they were talking about the Chattanooga location opening. Monteagle is open.