PDA

View Full Version : floor repair

mario
05-16-2001, 06:08 AM
HELP NEEDED Discovered my floor was soft on each side of the motor in my 1978 28 Hawaiian jet boat. so I removed my twin 40 gallon tanks what is the correct way to repair this, floor was only bad where gas tanks are, all is good under the rear seat.
thanks
mario

rstover1
05-16-2001, 07:42 PM
I have repaired a few floors before the best thing to do is cut out all roten wood and replace with new then use a fiberglass resin with cloth I always apply two or three layers also check your tanks for leaks gas will eat through fiberglass over time (note cover all the exposed wood with fiberglass and cloth to form a water tight seal)

Slick
05-18-2001, 07:17 AM
Mario,
I'm redoing the whole floor in my boat currently. Have it all out but the bow section as of today. If you can get the screws out of the stringers, great. Mine were counter set and resined over so I had to grind down the heads and just rip the ply up. I'm using a 4" grinder with a continuous rim diamond tile blade to cut through the resin at the hull line. It works well. Just be care full not to go too far or you'll have a leaky boat. I'm replacing the floor with 3/4" marine ply. I'm going to use 2-3 coats of resin on the ply and then use fiberglass strips to fasten it to the hull. Just take your time. I'm probably going to use West Systems because they have a distributer not too far from me. They have a web site, westsystem.com, and will give you any information you like. Also try rotdoctor.com. Let me know if you have any questions.
Slick

mario
05-18-2001, 05:06 PM
thanks for the tips.I will start removing the floor sunday or monday. I think when I remount the fuel tanks I will mount on some type of perches so air can flow. will let you know how I make out.
Thanks Mario