PDA

View Full Version : Sony Explode 8x9's

nodigg
01-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Are they any good?

Havasu Hangin'
01-30-2005, 10:53 AM
I personally would not put any Sony Explode in my boat...
...but that's just me.

riverbound
01-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Did you mean 6X9's ????
And no they are not any good.

nodigg
02-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Bump, any comments?

riverbound
02-01-2005, 09:23 AM
If you are lookig to sell your boat they would be agood option, they are cheaply built and they look good. The reason so many people buy sony Xplod products is it looks like you are getting a very good product for a cheap price. With the Xplod line you are paying for the looks not the quality. To put it bluntly No they are not any good.

1stepcloser
02-01-2005, 10:29 AM
I used to be a strong believer in the sony 12v stuff. Not any more.
The quality of the products has been in decline for years, and the Explode stuff is the worst yet.
I'm sure that those that run it would argue, but dont waste your dough on it, it aint worth it.
Rockwood. it the future of sound.....

BarryMac
02-01-2005, 11:34 AM
I put a pair in my boat in October, replaced one pair of 6" rounds that came with it, I will be replacing the other set of 6" with the 6" Sony Xplode's, more because the head unit is an Xplode and I want to stay consistant, probably a stupid reason but that's just me. BTW, they sound pretty darn good IMO but I'm not entering my system in any sound competitions anytime soon...

mbrown2
02-01-2005, 12:21 PM
To second HH's comments, I would never put Sony Explode Speakers or Amps in my boat....Just not great equipment and their speakers sound tinny.....When we bought our Malibu, it had Sony Explode Speakers in it, and they did not sound that great...no fullness to the sound; we changed them out for something better....there are a number of better speakers out there.

nodigg
02-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the input. Any good things to say about them anyone? Any reason why they are not good? Or are just not pricey/exotic enough for the stereo knowledged?? I'm serious here, what makes them bad speakers exactly...where's ROZ anyhow? I always thougt they were just low end speakers with fancy plastic covers but I am being told they are better than what I have now and what I have now is very clear, no distorsion Jenson 6 x 9's.

Magic34
02-01-2005, 02:12 PM
No one makes a billet speaker speaker cover for a 8x9 :wink: :idea: Don't think anyone will either. :)

boatmagician
02-01-2005, 04:19 PM
ok.... I installed many boat units over the last couple of years and this is what I have found.. First the Sony's are fine as long as you do the following and that is the correct placement in a boat is very important along with the correct Amp / Amp's and last but not least is the sub... The correct sub also goes a long ways in making the system sound correct...
I've installed many different makes and models of speakers and subs in boats and you must keep in mind that a boat is not like a car /truck nor your home system either.. You can make the system sound great but no matter what you do you still will have lost because its a boat... We installed the Sony's on just about every boat we outfit and no one has ever complained about the sound and most thank us for saving them a few dollars along the way...
I just installed a system for a former drum player of Great White I believe is the band.. He wanted crossfires and he paid a dear price for them along with crossfire amps and Treo subs... He has well a good 3K in the radio system at a discount and for all that in the end we could make the sony's play just as good for a 1/3 of the cost...
The sky is the limit when it comes to parting with your money on radio gear and I just believe its your money and you should keep as much as possible and enjoy the rest...
Just my 2cents worth...
Randy

Havasu Hangin'
02-01-2005, 06:14 PM
...you must keep in mind that a boat is not like a car /truck nor your home system either..
:confused:
...We installed the Sony's on just about every boat we outfit and no one has ever complained about the sound and most thank us for saving them a few dollars along the way...
So you sell Sony, eh? :idea:
Rockwood. it the future of sound.....
Agreed. Go Rockwood, or go home! :D

DogHouse
02-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Howdy Rick! Don't ask us for advice, just go and listen for yourself. That's the only way you're going to narrow down the choices to stuff that you like. Different ears have different tastes. I'm not a fan of Sony stuff but you may be. Some of my favs are MB Quart, Infinity Kappa, Boston Pro, and Diamond Audio. I'd love to have a boat full of MB Quart stuff but it's pricey. You're gonna need some serious pimp juice in the stereo to keep up with that new blower motor!
:cool:
ps: I have some Hifonic Zeuss amps in the boat that I'm super happy with from a performance/price/looks standpoint. They sound clean, have good power, look great, and didn't cost an arm and a leg. They also run very cool even in the summer heat.

boatmagician
02-02-2005, 07:22 AM
We sell many different brands of radio gear and we will install any brand a customer wants.... But if I can save a customer money and get the sound he happy with I see nothing wrong with that either... If you want to pay more for the same sound quality no problem...
My point is I installed many speaker / Amp combo's and all of our customers have been very happy with the sound quality.. That is not to say that its the bests but dollar for dollar it does a very nice job... and I repeat we will sell and install anything a customer wants in their boat.. They can even purchase the stuff and we will install it in the boat... So I guess that quiets the crowd
Enjoy
Randy

nodigg
02-02-2005, 09:14 AM
I'm not into "BIG NAMES" for the sake of saying I have it. After all, I run a Cheetah by choice. A lot of these guys on the boards don't even think they are real boats. Sometimes the board members can be a little elitist and sometimes they can save you some lost money on self-experimentation but in the end, I am just asking opinions to make my own informed decision. Some may influence my decisions and some may not. I appreciate all the comments however. Even Brian's! J/K. :boxingguy
Sometimes the guys with the opposing, less than polititcally correct opinions are peer pressured into keeping quiet here on the boards about their choices but hey, I am not 12 years old, peer pressure i(s) over for me. (Mostly) :D So bring on the opinions. What can it hurt to disagree?

1stepcloser
02-02-2005, 10:05 AM
My opinions stem from experience. I, like yourself, ask for advice as well as opinions, particularly on things I havent used before, as well as to see what others have done.
I will say that those opinions do influence what I might (or might not) purchase, as I figure if most people dont recommend a certain brand, there might be a good reason for it and I will research to find out why.
As I stated in my earlier post, I have used Sony gear many times in the past, and currently have Sony at home.
Their 12v line up used to be very high quality, at least as far as the head units went, and I ran then in all my vehicles, for many years. Somewhere along their production the quality of the product began to decline. the last unit I tried was admittedly more that 6 years ago, but I follow a couple of Audio forums as well as a trade magazine, and the general feeling is the same.
When the Explode line came out I tried again, and was sorely disappointed with the product. It was the last time for me, and has formed the opinion that I now have toward the 12v line in general.
I am not swayed by a "big name", besides, in my opinion Sony is a pretty "big name" in the field.
Much of what I currently have in my boat goes against what the "elitist" on here would have.... but I think it sounds great, and it works really well for me.
In the end.... if you like the gear, then by all means run it! It's your money, and your boat, and your pleasure, right? :cool:

nodigg
02-02-2005, 11:55 AM
My opinions stem from experience. I, like yourself, ask for advice as well as opinions, particularly on things I havent used before, as well as to see what others have done.
I will say that those opinions do influence what I might (or might not) purchase, as I figure if most people dont recommend a certain brand, there might be a good reason for it and I will research to find out why.
As I stated in my earlier post, I have used Sony gear many times in the past, and currently have Sony at home.
Their 12v line up used to be very high quality, at least as far as the head units went, and I ran then in all my vehicles, for many years. Somewhere along their production the quality of the product began to decline. the last unit I tried was admittedly more that 6 years ago, but I follow a couple of Audio forums as well as a trade magazine, and the general feeling is the same.
When the Explode line came out I tried again, and was sorely disappointed with the product. It was the last time for me, and has formed the opinion that I now have toward the 12v line in general.
I am not swayed by a "big name", besides, in my opinion Sony is a pretty "big name" in the field.
Much of what I currently have in my boat goes against what the "elitist" on here would have.... but I think it sounds great, and it works really well for me.
In the end.... if you like the gear, then by all means run it! It's your money, and your boat, and your pleasure, right? :cool:
Yup, now were's the info you promised? me a couple of years ago?? :idea: :mix:

ROZ
02-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Your application is what matters most. Remember that all speaker mfg's speakers have different characteristics. It could be the way they sound, the way it fits in certain appliations, power ratings, what it's made of, etc...Sony speakers are a lower mid grade speaker made for average listening and will not handle a ton of power at high volume at long intervals and sound good for very long(longevity). If this is what you're looking for, you may want to consider another brand...
Most important is:In the end.... if you like the gear, then by all means run it! It's your money, and your boat, and your pleasure, right? :cool:
Best piece of info in the thread.....

nodigg
02-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the input ROZ.

DogHouse
02-02-2005, 09:16 PM
...After all, I run a Cheetah by choice...
It's ok Rick, I'll still park next to you at the Sandbar.
:D

nodigg
02-03-2005, 10:36 AM
It's ok Rick, I'll still park next to you at the Sandbar.
:D
No problem Brian, I'm use to my boat being used as a fender for the big boys, expensive boats like yours! :yuk: :wink: :D

Phat Matt
02-04-2005, 01:56 PM
I originally had these in my boat...
Sony XS-HD690G 6 x 9" 3-Way Speaker
Then I switched out to these...
Infinity KAPPA 693.5I 6" x 9" 3-Way Loudspeaker
The two speakers were not even in the same class. The infinity speakers sound so much better all around. I ended up changing everything to Infinity Kappa Perfects.

Mr. Naudio
02-04-2005, 06:39 PM
IMO
Everything that has to do with equipment choice in the audio field,
is based on personal preference.
Just at the place I work you could get six different opinons on the same thing.
(prob not this) :shift:
Ps. ours dont matter.
Listen to all the systems you can.
Then go to a shop that wont stop until your happy.

DogHouse
02-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Then go to a shop that wont stop until your happy.
I'm guessing that would be Car Toyz? ;)
You're Frank right? Nice meeting you a couple weeks ago. I was the guy that came in with Greg to get some tweaks on the system in his new Cheetah.
-Brian
:)