PDA

View Full Version : mpd????????????????

lilrick
04-24-2002, 04:09 PM
Hay fellas! Ijust bought a berk JB split bowl with droop to replace the old panther.I want to have it blue printed and,I know that Jack comes highly recommended, so would somebody please post his web. I saw it here the other day somewhere. Also, would somebody kindly explain what blueprinting a pump is,And what kind of extra work should I have done to my pump if any? I've heard about polishing the bowl,and the A,B,C impeller categories. I have an 18' hornet full stringer with a mild 454. I gps at 61 mph right now, lookin' for 70. Any suggestions? thanks.

77charger
04-24-2002, 04:11 PM
Dont know the web address but have the phone number (949)631-2040.Hes usually there til 10 pm

RandyH
04-24-2002, 05:18 PM
Here you go......
http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure/

squirt
04-24-2002, 06:35 PM
Just by switching pumps even a "blueprinted" one picking up 10 mph with your stock motor is a tall order. Your going 61 mph now with a stock BBC so it dosen't sound like you pump is wasted maybe it could use some sprucing up. Your pump change out will set you back 1to 2 G's why not spent a 1/3 of that dough and put it into that 454 you will see 70 plus nodoubt!
last year ran with a guy with a 460 and a panther that did 70 single carb & nothing fancy.......Just a thought........I run a berk. but there's nothing wrong with Panthers

ChetCapoli
04-24-2002, 06:46 PM
I like squirts attitude!
Chet

Oldsquirt
04-24-2002, 06:57 PM
Lilrick, as I understand it, there is a WHOLE LOT of work involved in swapping out the Panther and replacing it with a Berkeley(or Dominator/Legend/Aggressor, etc). I agree with squirt. Put the money into engine mods first. You may also want to contact Steve at Panther for hints on how to squeeze a little more performance out of that pump. You can find his contact info at Panther Pumps (http://www.pantherjet.com)

454,pantherjet witchcraft
04-24-2002, 06:59 PM
Good post squirt. I have a panther and happy with it. Right now I sprucing up my motor to give the old cat a little more umph. http://communities.msn.com/JetBoatFun
Witchcraft

77charger
04-24-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by ChetCapoli:
I like squirts attitude!
Chet
Well chet like to see you give some advice for someone who is looking for more speed.Or your opinion istead of a slam.BTW i to think that motor work is a step there.

lilrick
04-24-2002, 08:07 PM
well, I understand the work involved but I have lots of help,quality help. Also, by investing the money into the berk, more doors open for parts;place diverter, wedges,droops,etc .The motor is not completely stock either. 10:1, merlin heads,steel crank,je pistons,manley h-beam rods, and a full roller valve train .I run a single demon 850 with an edelbrock air gap.So other people tell me that its pump time!

77charger
04-24-2002, 08:10 PM
NITROUS NITROUS NITROUS NITROUS NITROUS NITROUS NITROUS.AND A LITLLE PUMP WORK THEN.

Cas
04-24-2002, 08:18 PM
darn, I hate when people suggest logical ideas.... I was hoping to pick up another Panther pump to test some of my own thoughts.
Anyway, I'm another that agrees with squirt and I'm also a very satisfied Panther owner.
With all the money you'd spend on the conversion, you could build a pretty healthy motor with some very good pump mods. It would also allieve your hull of a patch job.

lilrick
04-24-2002, 08:41 PM
With all do respect, I don't see any drag boats with Panthers nor have I seen any records held by Panther. Nobody in my research advertises that they even work on these pumps and who has parts around Cali?The only guy I've spoken with that has anything good to say about um is in Oregon!

rivercrazy
04-24-2002, 08:42 PM
Aggressor doesn't make parts for Panthers...
Originally posted by 77charger:
Originally posted by ChetCapoli:
I like squirts attitude!
Chet
Well chet like to see you give some advice for someone who is looking for more speed.Or your opinion istead of a slam.BTW i to think that motor work is a step there.

454,pantherjet witchcraft
04-25-2002, 05:28 PM
As far as Parts CPPERFORMANCE carries all the parts for a panther. There are a few people around that work on the panther. In reno, at Sunny's Marine he blue prints it and makes it give the most performance for just over $800.00.
Question for anybody
What is the difference between a gen 4-5-6 BBC?
Witchcraft

lilrick
04-26-2002, 10:34 AM
gen 4 has a 2-piece rear main and 5,6 have one-piece rears.This also means different crankshafts,easiest way to to tell is the keyway difference on the front, gen4 has 2 small keyways and 5,6 have one big one.Also,maincaps are taller on 5,6.The water jackets on the block and heads on gen 5,6 have been enlarged.