PDA

View Full Version : What does anyone think about the 05 Ford F-250's?

Give Me Some Slack
01-31-2005, 08:22 PM
I was wonder what people thought of the new 2005 Ford F-250's. I've heard great things. How do they ride compared to the old ones? And what can I expect for pricing? Does anyone know where I could get a good deal on one fully loaded or maybe a Harley Davidson edition?
Thanks

wrenchdaddy
02-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Im not sure what engine choices you have, I know most are diesel. This doesn't really pertain to you question but I thought I would share with you guys. I know that the 05' 5.4 liter is something I would stay away from. I work at a lube center and have changed a few of the new f-150s that have them. after you change the oil and crank it up they knock pretty bad till oil preasure comes up. It's not a tick, Im talkin about a knock and this is on brand new trucks with less than 10,000 miles!! Im not sure what it is but it definately doesn't sound good, the 4.6 and diesels don't its just the 5.4. I guess Im glad Im a chevy guy.

Eliminator 4 Life
02-01-2005, 08:08 AM
They ride a hell of alot nicer then the old ones

ryantparks
02-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Try thedieselstop.com I got alot of info from that site before I bought my 05.

Jordy
02-01-2005, 08:15 AM
I think that if you can't get a HD truck with an Allison transmission then it's not worth doing. ;)

Eliminator 4 Life
02-01-2005, 08:36 AM
I think that if you can't get a HD truck with an Allison transmission then it's not worth doing. ;)
Good call Jordy unless your 6'5" and you got your knees still burried in the dash :D

Jordy
02-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Good call Jordy unless your 6'5" and you got your knees still burried in the dash :D
Just slide the seat back and it will fix that problem. ;)

Eliminator 4 Life
02-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Damn is that what that power switch is for on the side ha ha. I might have it reloacted its like Shaq trying to fit in a bug ha ha

JetBoatRich
02-01-2005, 09:03 AM
I have no complaints with my truck. It tows my boat and other trailers with no problems.
Here is another thread with similiar questions
New Ford Truck (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68962)

Jordy
02-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Damn is that what that power switch is for on the side ha ha. I might have it reloacted its like Shaq trying to fit in a bug ha ha
Relocated hell. Shaq just pulls the front seat out and sits in back. :D

Eliminator 4 Life
02-01-2005, 09:08 AM
That is another option I was thinking of. plus I need the seat raised up higher to cause I get cramps in my knee driving to havasu damn I sound like a old man(29) ha ha

HotHallet
02-01-2005, 11:22 AM
A lot of aftermarket lift kit manufacturers are liking the '05's because of the coil spring front ends but for the hardcore guy who is going to put one up on 44's its no bueno. Companies like Fabtech are digging it though. I drove one for a week or so as a test vehicle as I work for a custom truck magazine and I wasn't all that impressed. I would by a used '03 with a diesel.

essexjet
02-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Heard bad things about the 05 transmissions.

jet4fun
02-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Heard bad things about the 05 transmissions.
heard bad things about all the diesel trannys in general... but i can say this, my 04 diesel ate up the tranny at 6,500 miles, and after 2 months of b.s. and multiple rebuilds of the original tranny, i was able to get ford to pony up and put (what they told me) a brand spankin new 05 model tranny in it, supposedly ford redesigned and beefed up a bunch of the troublesome parts that were going bad, including the one that went south in my original one... i am not saying that they are bullet proof, but i am about to turn 12k soon and i am yet to have a problem. crossing my fingers
i gotta agree with hot hallett though, if you want to go big then you,re probably gonna want the leaf springs, thats why i bought the 04, they already had 05's on the lot when i bought it.

Jordy
02-01-2005, 04:16 PM
heard bad things about all the diesel trannys in general...
I know bad things about 2 out of 3, especially when you start hopping them up. There is only one auto I'd go with. ;) :D

TOBTEK
02-01-2005, 06:46 PM
I know of a really nice 2004 GMC SLT loaded HD2500 Duramax/Allison with a 4" lift, chrome BOZE wheels, edge juice with attutide monitor, Escalade door handles, billet grill...thats much less money, reliable, and turnkey ready :wink:

BarryMac
02-01-2005, 07:48 PM
I know of a really nice 2004 GMC SLT loaded HD2500 Duramax/Allison with a 4" lift, chrome BOZE wheels, edge juice with attutide monitor, Escalade door handles, billet grill...thats much less money, reliable, and turnkey ready :wink:
Toby's truck is as clean as they come, if it were in my price range I would have driven it home the other night...

SoCal_fun
02-02-2005, 03:03 PM
I was wonder what people thought of the new 2005 Ford F-250's. I've heard great things. How do they ride compared to the old ones? And what can I expect for pricing? Does anyone know where I could get a good deal on one fully loaded or maybe a Harley Davidson edition?
Thanks
Well, I love mine! Going for around 41-43,000 it looks like with the 4x4 and Diesel.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5df06b3127cce9f6ece0fd59500000016108Abs3LNm2cti

TOBTEK
02-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Well, I love mine! Going for around 41-43,000 it looks like with the 4x4 and Diesel.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5df06b3127cce9f6ece0fd59500000016108Abs3LNm2cti
good looking truck!

shadow
02-03-2005, 06:05 AM
Im not sure what engine choices you have, I know most are diesel. This doesn't really pertain to you question but I thought I would share with you guys. I know that the 05' 5.4 liter is something I would stay away from. I work at a lube center and have changed a few of the new f-150s that have them. after you change the oil and crank it up they knock pretty bad till oil preasure comes up. It's not a tick, Im talkin about a knock and this is on brand new trucks with less than 10,000 miles!! Im not sure what it is but it definately doesn't sound good, the 4.6 and diesels don't its just the 5.4. I guess Im glad Im a chevy guy.
:confused:05 Never heard of one knocking yet.They all tick for a few seconds on start up but never heard a knock in a new one.The ticking is normal according to Ford piston to bore clearence and will not affect the longevity of the engine life.Recomened oil is 5-20.

JB in so cal
02-03-2005, 09:19 AM
:confused:05 Never heard of one knocking yet.They all tick for a few seconds on start up but never heard a knock in a new one.The ticking is normal according to Ford piston to bore clearence and will not affect the longevity of the engine life.Recomened oil is 5-20.
What do you know about it? :cool:
BTW. Stopped by and talked to the Raylar guys on Saturday. Nice pics in the book. The smile on your face is a great sales tool. My BIL is a BMW wrench turner and was impressed with what they had going on!
Never say never, I say!
Later.

SoCal_fun
02-03-2005, 02:34 PM
good looking truck!
Thanks Toby, now I need a matching golf cart right..... lol! One day (hopefully).

jet4fun
02-03-2005, 08:32 PM
I know bad things about 2 out of 3, especially when you start hopping them up. There is only one auto I'd go with. ;) :D
i agree, and i would have much rather have had the allison (especially when chevy was gonna give me 0% instead of the 3.99 i am paying for the ford)... but unfortunately chevy doesnt know how to install a straight axle under the front of their trucks anymore, and i didnt want to put a 12" lift under an ifs truck, i know they make it but i dont trust it, i want to have some fun sometimes without worrying about breaking it... besides, when i drove the chevy i felt like i was in a car, i dont know about the rest of you but i still like the feeling that i am riding in a truck... maybe my opinion will change when i get older :idea:

Jordy
02-03-2005, 08:49 PM
I'd much rather be going down the road under my own power than sitting on the side of the road with a broken tranny and a straight front axle. ;) I don't mind the way my truck rides. I'm actually in mid progress of my rear air bag install so I can make it ride like a buckboard if I so desire. :D

Give Me Some Slack
02-03-2005, 10:16 PM
My brother has a 2004 Chevy 4x4 Duramax with the allison tranny. It is awesome. But I want something different. I like the looks of the front end on the new 2005 Fords. :idea:

Kilrtoy
02-05-2005, 12:43 AM
I'd much rather be going down the road under my own power than sitting on the side of the road with a broken tranny
REALLY....:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

JetBoatRich
02-05-2005, 06:49 AM
REALLY....:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
It is a tre statement :hammerhea who wants a broken tranny :hammerhea

INSman
02-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Jordy is 290% correct, Allison tranny or go home !!!

Jordy
02-06-2005, 01:55 AM
290%???? SWEEEEET!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
p.s. (I'll bet your business card doesn't have an Allison logo on it either ;) )

JetBoatRich
02-06-2005, 07:39 AM
290% :idea: how do you get to that level :supp:

jet4fun
02-09-2005, 10:36 AM
I'd much rather be going down the road under my own power than sitting on the side of the road with a broken tranny and a straight front axle. ;) I don't mind the way my truck rides. I'm actually in mid progress of my rear air bag install so I can make it ride like a buckboard if I so desire. :D
well, i agree with you whole heartedly on that one... i cant wait for the day that someone figures out how to put an allison under my truck... i dont know what goes through ford's mind when they design a tranny, but i think they should lay off the cracker jacks :rollside:
one thing i will say though for anyone looking into a 2005, i ended up getting a brand new 2005 tranny put under my truck after multiple failures of the original one(and one hell of a fight with the service manager), ford told me they re-designed a bunch of parts that were failing... i am yet to have a problem, and everyone i know that has a 2005 (quite a few people now) are yet to have any hiccups to report

JetBoatRich
02-09-2005, 11:31 AM
I believe any of the major guys could have a problem now and then with thier tranny's :rolleyes:

cc322
02-10-2005, 07:50 PM
I think that they (FORD) are number one for a reason, alway's have been alway's will be. They sell more f series than gmc and chevy put together. Ford will always be #1 that's just how it is. :D

HammerDown
02-11-2005, 05:07 PM
But that's the best part of the truck... :D

jet4fun
02-14-2005, 02:22 PM
But that's the best part of the truck... :D
i agree, and its the only reason i even considered it (and the 0% financing was nice too)... its funny, i have always been a chevy guy, but i got to thinking. the truck is a chevy, but chevy didnt build the motor or tranny. so really you arent buying the truck because its a chevy at all.........

INSman
02-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Oh, and I may add that my buddy whom I finally got off of the pussy pick-up truck wagon, going from a 1500 Sierra, to a Ram w/HEMI, to a Nissan Titan that he blew up finally got a new Ford F250 with the gay ass King Ranch package and the Powersmoker turbo diesel already has the new Ford in the shop. Seems he has already blown the turbo and he hasn't even towed yet !!

Jrocket
02-15-2005, 08:40 PM
Oh, and I may add that my buddy whom I finally got off of the pussy pick-up truck wagon, going from a 1500 Sierra, to a Ram w/HEMI, to a Nissan Titan that he blew up finally got a new Ford F250 with the gay ass King Ranch package and the Powersmoker turbo diesel already has the new Ford in the shop. Seems he has already blown the turbo and he hasn't even towed yet !!
LOL,try some of these next time ".................."

INSman
02-15-2005, 09:59 PM
LOL,try some of these next time ".................."
That would have been smart, guess I got a bit carried away :eat:
My bad...

Jake W2
02-19-2005, 05:45 PM
I have a 04 SD 350 FX4 with the 6 speed 1 low and 5 up screw the auto :hammerhea rides rougher than a mother but it is a SD truck not a Cadi.I love the thing, best truck I have ever bought. :)
Jake

Flying Tiger
02-21-2005, 06:12 AM
Ford will eventually be offering a 6 speed Allison option according to the WSJnl.

Jordy
02-21-2005, 07:09 AM
Ford will eventually be offering a 6 speed Allison option according to the WSJnl.
Actually, Ford and GM will be teaming up for a joint tranny venture with a 6 speed auto. GM will keep the Allison as as option and Ford will continue to offer the Torq-shift, both in 5 speed configuration, at least that was the last word from my regional Allison rep. ;) :D

AzMandella
02-22-2005, 06:35 PM
They all have had their problems with the trannys.The allisons had their problems wiyh dropping too many gears on steep grades and red-lining the engine.Fords have had problems parts reliability.But the bottom linme is Ford has and always will build a better truck than Chevy or Dodge.Hell if Chevy buys their trannys from Allison and their diesels from Isuzu what the hell is Chevy about it.I don't know about the rest of you but I just can't bring myself to buy a truck with a ricegrinder in it.Also if you drive upa and down the major highways and really pay attention to all the trucks that are hauling heavy loads not piddly ass bayliners and sea-doos you will see that 75% or more are Fords.

Jordy
02-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Wow, so GM uses Isuzu engines, and Isuzu happens to be the largest truck/engine manufacturer in the world, and they seem to build a great product. As far as the tranny, it seems to me that Allison has the heavy truck automatic market cornered. Why not go with the best of both huh?
Ford, yeah, they build thier own trannies that are nothing to write home about. They run International diesel engines and have changed diesel engine platforms more than any other truck on the 3/4 and 1 ton market, especially in the last 10 years. I'm really looking forward to them ditching the 6.0 in favor of the new 6.6 twin turbo. That's an awful lot of heat up under that hood.
Dodge runs Cummins and a weak link of a tranny. One that once you start cranking on the engine needs almost $5,000 worth of upgrades to live.
Seems pretty much like a no-brainer to me. You can do whatever you want engine wise, but if your tranny and rear end aren't going to hold up, who cares?
As far as 75% of the trucks on the road being Ford, I call bullshit on that. Maybe 75% of the trucks being recalled for something other than a tailgate cable. ;)
Glad I don't have to worry about the cruise control on either one of my GM's starting my truck on fire even when I'm not using it. :D

PHX ATC
02-22-2005, 08:02 PM
But the bottom linme is Ford has and always will build a better truck than Chevy or Dodge.Hell if Chevy buys their trannys from Allison and their diesels from Isuzu what the hell is Chevy about it.I don't know about the rest of you but I just can't bring myself to buy a truck with a ricegrinder in it.Also if you drive upa and down the major highways and really pay attention to all the trucks that are hauling heavy loads not piddly ass bayliners and sea-doos you will see that 75% or more are Fords.
Uh, I don't think Ford has "always" built a better truck than the competition. They build a great truck, don't get me wrong, but to take king of the hill honors requires some pretty awesome and almost superhuman build skills to get it done in a truck. There's more to a truck than just brand loyalty. I'm honored that you think Ford builds the best truck ever. That's cool. Each truck brand has it's strengths and weaknesses...fit and finish, engines, trannies, rear ends, interior room, suspension, trick features, comfort, etc.
Expand your horizons and realize that the other 2 US brands are also building quality products that some people like and obviously buy. All the brands are designed by humans, budgeted by humans, and driven by humans. Flawed individuals we are, nobody will always build the perfect truck for everybody. Ford is the one for you, the rest is chosen by the other folk on here.
Sorry for the rant, I'm just sick and tired of people pounding on there chest, acting the big ego-craving monster behind the veil of internet privacy about their favorite brand of trucks. Or boats for that matter. Shit, I wear Hanes underwear...they're the friggin best in the world!!! :D
I'm off my milk crate now and will humbly go back to my corner and suck my thumb, rocking back and forth for weeks.
No offense intended.

AzMandella
02-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Wow, so GM uses Isuzu engines, and Isuzu happens to be the largest truck/engine manufacturer in the world, and they seem to build a great product. As far as the tranny, it seems to me that Allison has the heavy truck automatic market cornered. Why not go with the best of both huh?
Ford, yeah, they build thier own trannies that are nothing to write home about. They run International diesel engines and have changed diesel engine platforms more than any other truck on the 3/4 and 1 ton market, especially in the last 10 years. I'm really looking forward to them ditching the 6.0 in favor of the new 6.6 twin turbo. That's an awful lot of heat up under that hood.
Dodge runs Cummins and a weak link of a tranny. One that once you start cranking on the engine needs almost $5,000 worth of upgrades to live.
Seems pretty much like a no-brainer to me. You can do whatever you want engine wise, but if your tranny and rear end aren't going to hold up, who cares?
As far as 75% of the trucks on the road being Ford, I call bullshit on that. Maybe 75% of the trucks being recalled for something other than a tailgate cable. ;)
Glad I don't have to worry about the cruise control on either one of my GM's starting my truck on fire even when I'm not using it. :D
Well I guess you don't work in a industry that does a lot of hauling.I'm in the structural steel buisness and I see Fords over Chevy 3 to 1 when it comes to people pulling 35' goosnecks with 10 to 30 thousand pounds.I didn't say they were 75% of all trucks on the road.And yes Isuzu and Allison make excelent products I just don't see how people can go around backing something that's not made or designed by the manufacturer themselves.And Chevys not just their trucks have had plenty of wiring problems than most the other manufacturers.

Jordy
02-22-2005, 09:30 PM
I just don't see how people can go around backing something that's not made or designed by the manufacturer themselves.
You spent 15 mintues typing up that little gem that pretty much pokes a huge hole in your Ford argument. OK, I'll go ahead and respond so you feel better after all that work. Much like the threads on HavasuDoug, you really don't make any sense and going round and round with you is pointless. Ignore here as well. ;)
Gee, that pretty much wipes out just about everything out there. Obviously you missed the part where Ford doesn't build their own engines, and neither does Dodge. Hell, you want to get into heavy haul on highway, more trucks (KW, Pete, Freightliner) use outside power such as Detroit, Cat and Cummins, than use their own design like Mack trucks do.
Oh, and on the gas side in the Isuzu cabovers (like the NPR's) they use GM Vortec gas engines. Shame on them for not building their own. :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea

AzMandella
02-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Uh, I don't think Ford has "always" built a better truck than the competition. They build a great truck, don't get me wrong, but to take king of the hill honors requires some pretty awesome and almost superhuman build skills to get it done in a truck. There's more to a truck than just brand loyalty. I'm honored that you think Ford builds the best truck ever. That's cool. Each truck brand has it's strengths and weaknesses...fit and finish, engines, trannies, rear ends, interior room, suspension, trick features, comfort, etc.
Expand your horizons and realize that the other 2 US brands are also building quality products that some people like and obviously buy. All the brands are designed by humans, budgeted by humans, and driven by humans. Flawed individuals we are, nobody will always build the perfect truck for everybody. Ford is the one for you, the rest is chosen by the other folk on here.
Sorry for the rant, I'm just sick and tired of people pounding on there chest, acting the big ego-craving monster behind the veil of internet privacy about their favorite brand of trucks. Or boats for that matter. Shit, I wear Hanes underwear...they're the friggin best in the world!!! :D
I'm off my milk crate now and will humbly go back to my corner and suck my thumb, rocking back and forth for weeks.
No offense intended.
Well rant away!Your right they probably have not "always" been the best.But there is a reason why they sell more trucks than any other manufacturer.And yes they do have their own strengths.Chevy's are the best when it comes to creature comforts.But if thats what I wanted I'd by a luxury car.But there are those who inovate and those who duplicate.

AzMandella
02-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Gee, that pretty much wipes out just about everything out there. Obviously you missed the part where Ford doesn't build their own engines, and neither does Dodge. Hell, you want to get into heavy haul on highway, more trucks (KW, Pete, Freightliner) use outside power such as Detroit, Cat and Cummins, than use their own design like Mack trucks do. Much like the threads on HavasuDoug, you really don't make any sense and going round and round with you is pointless. Ignore here as well. ;)
Oh, and on the gas side in the Isuzu cabovers (like the NPR's) they use GM Vortec gas engines. Shame on them for not building their own. :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea
I didn't miss the part about ford using International to produce their engines.But if you go to the Navistar web page you will find out that Ford and International jointly designed their engines for ford together.And have been for 15 yrs or more.Now you want to compare Big Riggs to Pickups?Semes like it's you who doesn't make sense.And Freightliners,Kenworths,Peterbuilts,and the others have always been built around the mighty powerplants of Detroit Cat and Cummins.They never produced their own engines as far as I know.Or ever intended to.But Ford never ran out and bought somebody elses,let alone a Jap, motor to catch up to another manufacturer who was killing them in the truck market.Kinda funny since the GM corp. owns Detroit deisel.

Jordy
02-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Kinda funny since the GM corp. owns Detroit deisel.
I skipped over all your other bullshit to jump right to this one. Daimler-Chrysler owns Detroit Diesel (since 2000), as well as Mercedes (MBE). GM hasn't had a hand in DDC for years. :eek:
Oh, and another little interesting tidbit: GM doesn't buy their transmissions from Allison for the light truck market, as Allison is a division of GM. More holes for your argument. Now we're down to the big three, none of which use their own engines in their diesel trucks. Hmmm. I guess they all suck then huh? :D
Open mouth, insert foot, again. :hammerhea

SeaSlut
02-24-2005, 10:31 AM
As far as 75% of the trucks on the road being Ford :D
Yeah, the other 25% make it home.
Cummins goes the most miles, with the least amount of repairs.
If you buy a new truck every three years go ford or chevy, if you want it to go the long haul get the truck with the truck motor.

Flying Tiger
03-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Allison fan here.
I tow 12.000 lbs regularly with mine, and at 60k, no problems.
Neighbor bought a new Ford and is putting all kinds of money into performance stuff on his motor that would have come standard on a GM.
He's also burning through trannys towing his 5th wheel, and it's a $#!t$torm of a hassle with Ford to get it fixed on warranty. Bad enough ya lost a vacation. On top of all that,, it's a good 3 weeks before work begins on tranny repair.
Ya can't reason with a hard core Ford owner.
I found out the hard, expensive way. I was a thick skulled Ford owner.
You know you'll be needing a trans within 2 years at least. What vacation will be ruined because of it?
I head out for the river in full confidence I'll not be leaving my trans and my families vacation someplace on the 10 fwy.
Towing doesn't get any tougher than for the crowd on HB's. Super hot conditions, super tough, long heavy hauls.
No time for a patched up old style tranny.

Sherpa
03-15-2005, 09:58 AM
ford simply can't build an auto trans that will last, know when to shift, and
not break..... period.... the E40D sucks 10x donkey wang.... the C-6 was
the only strong tranny they ever did..........
anyone wanting vehicle recall, or TSB data, go to:
www.alldata.com
[EDIT] wholly crap! It would appear that Autozone has control now of
alldata.com's website.... shit.... looks like it's not a public/free service
anymore... that totally blows........ Sherpa
just for giggles, go look up a mid 90's f-250/e40d tranny-equipped truck..
out of about 10 pages of TSB's and recall info, about 7 pages are only
about the retarded E40D trans problems..... (last time I looked anyway)
I wish GM was smart enough to put a straight axled front end in their 4x4
line up..... evendently, the engineers from 1988-current don't like them...
CHevy is my new truck.
--Sherpa

INSman
03-15-2005, 10:17 AM
A buddy of mine just got Ford to "Buy-Back" his brand new 2005 F-250 !!
Blew up his turbo in the first month and the dealer just can't seem to figure out how to fix it properly.
GM / Duramax /Allison all the way baby !!!