PDA

View Full Version : Does ESSEX Boats stand behind their work?

XClutchboy725
10-05-2001, 03:53 PM
Hi everyone! I'm an owner of a '74 Southwind jet (18.5 ft.). I bought this boat from my father who bought it new when i was 7 years old. Last winter I had Essex Boats do a "complete bottom repair" and upholstery work as part of a complete restoration. The work was beautiful on both the hull and carpet and upholstery but I noticed cracks after the first trip to Perris developing in the bow area of the bottom of the hull. I immediately called Essex and spoke to Duane, the service manager, who assured me that all was fine and to continue to use the boat as long as it did not leak. Well, about the 4th trip out the cracks continued to get worse and did begin to leak. Again, I spoke with Duane who assured me that Essex would stand behind the repair and to bring the boat in when things got slow for them. I dropped the boat off 2 weeks ago. I have since been informed that the hull failed in an area not reinforced by Essex and therefore it will cost an additional $1,300 to fix! Well, I reminded Rich (the new service manager) that I paid for a "complete bottom repair" totalling mor than $4,200 and therefore the hull should be prepared under warranty. I have not yet spoke to Steve (one of the owners who originally quoted the job) to see if he wants to make it right. What do all of you think? How will this story end? If Essex does the right thing, I will let all of you know. If they don't, I will let EVERYONE know!! Please reply......

Hustler
10-05-2001, 04:10 PM
from what I have heard about essex is they are very customer savy. I would wait to talk to one of the owners and see what they say, if they dont take care of you I would be surprised.
Hustler

ULTRA28
10-05-2001, 08:02 PM
Essex is a first class organization that will stand behind their work. If it is something that wasn't included, don't expect them to cover it, you didn't buy a new boat, you had your old boat fixed, they can't guess at what might go wrong next, but if it is something they worked on then I'm sure they will take care of you, they build some of the strongest boats on the market.

XClutchboy725
10-06-2001, 07:57 AM
Just so everyone knows..... the area that broke on the boat WAS worked on by ESSEX. Essex chose not to reinforce the bow area in front of the bulkhead but they were hired and paid for a complete bottom repair. Essex did finish off the bow area by adding bow storage, carpet, a floor, etc. I'ts my opinion that they made a bad decision by not reinforcing this area from the inside prior to finish work and gel coat.

XClutchboy725
10-07-2001, 11:17 AM
well, it seems the general consensus out there is that Essex stands behind their work. I have sent a letter to Steve (one of the owners) and am looking foreward to his reply. Thanks to all for the input and please keep the cards and letters coming!!
i will keep you all informed......