PDA

View Full Version : The Best Burrito Place...

OGShocker
02-01-2005, 11:41 AM
IMHO and I am NOT alone.. :)
Culinary Detective: Contender for best SB burrito
-
BY CHRIS COGNAC
Special to Rave!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the things I love to do is to try to make my editor really hungry when he reads my column.HeÂ’s told me, on several occasions, that IÂ’ve succeeded, so I made it my mission to take him out for some great food at a place he had never been to. I called him for lunch three times a week for the past three months and he could never make it (editors are busy people).
-
So I decided to bring lunch to him. And I knew of the perfect place, IsaacÂ’s Cafe in Wilmington.
-
A few months ago, shortly after announcing my quest for the best burrito in the South Bay, I received an e-mail from a E! reader telling me about IsaacÂ’s.
-
The reader wrote that IsaacÂ’s has the best burritos around, a hot tip I had to investigate. So I hopped in the minivan and drove to Wilmington and, yes, to the home of some of the best burritos in town.
-
IssacÂ’s, which has been around since 1977, is on Fries Avenue, just off Anaheim Street across from the ILWU union hall (which is a good sign).
-
I spoke with Marcos Medina, the ownerÂ’s son, who told me the recipes come from his motherÂ’s family and that she still cooks the meats and salsa fresh in the kitchen every day.
-
Indeed, MedinaÂ’s mother, Antonia, was in the kitchen along with several other ladies stirring up big pots of green chili pork and red chili beef, as well as making fresh refried beans.
-
Medina said one of the most popular burritos is the Jones Burrito, made with red chili beef, cheese and fresh avocado ($3.75). He also clued me in on the Dispatch Burrito, a breakfast burrito that has bacon, eggs, rice, beans, cheese, avocado and red chili sauce ($4.25).
-
I got my big box of food and headed off to the Daily Breeze office determined to get my editor and the rest of the department to eat some great food they might not otherwise have tried. I plopped the big box of burritos, rice, beans and that tasty green salsa onto a desk and told everyone I needed to conduct some research for an article.
-
We quickly got down to some serious eating. We had the carne asada burritos made with fresh salsa and avocado ($3.75). The asada was very tasty and good quality. My editor deemed it his favorite.
-
Then came the Jones Burrito, which was good too. I really like the way the red chili beef is slow cooked, tender and not too spicy.
-
The consensus favorite by a long shot, though, was the green chili pork burrito ($3.75). The green chili pork is slow-cooked and is incredibly tender. The quality of the pork is good with very lean cuts of meat. The green chili sauce is something special and really tastes great — and it has some heat to it.
-
I watched as news reporter Ian Gregor dug into the green chili burrito, then began to turn red about 30 seconds into it. He had to stand back to gain his composure, then began to devour the rest of the burrito. He told me the spiciness sneaks up on you, but that it was really good.
-
Then I watched happily as photographer Branimir Kvartuc (who recently returned to the world of carnivores) destroyed a green chili burrito.
-
I had succeeded in my mission to show the staff what good food was about.
-
I am still on my quest for the best burrito in the South Bay, itÂ’s just going to take a little longer than expected as there are a lot of great burritos to try.
----------------------------------------------
-
IsaacÂ’s Cafe, 632 N. Fries Ave., Wilmington, CA 90744-5402 // 310-830-4933. Hours: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays. Carne Asada Burrito ($3.75), Green Chili Pork Burrito ($3.75), Dispatch Burrito, a breakfast burrito ($4.25).
-
Chris Cognac, a detective for a South Bay police department, specializes in reviewing hole-in-the-wall restaurants. If youÂ’d like him to conduct a culinary investigation at a restaurant youÂ’ve been hesitant to try, write to him at the Daily Breeze, 5215 Torrance Blvd., Torrance, CA, 90503 or e-mail him at chris@culinary detective.com.
- - -

HCS
02-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Man...after reading that I couldn't resist. Had to get a 5 speed off the roach coach.

Parker Dreamin
02-01-2005, 12:44 PM
I have had a couple myself.. they are sure yummy. Just dont go at lunch time unless you plan on standing in line for a bit.

OGShocker
02-01-2005, 01:21 PM
I have had a couple myself.. they are sure yummy. Just dont go at lunch time unless you plan on standing in line for a bit.
No Doubt! I drive down from San Gabriel at 9:00 AM for lunch.. :notam:

ONOUDIDNT
02-01-2005, 03:38 PM
you have to go and try Los Sanchez over in Garden Grove, on Harbor just South of Chapman on the West side across from the Target center... just South of the resort complex.... you will not be diappointed. Been going there for 10 years, a buddy of mine for like 25 years. Anyone that has been there can vouch that it is awesome!!

BADASS38CHEVY
02-01-2005, 03:44 PM
IMHO and I am NOT alone.. :)
Culinary Detective: Contender for best SB burrito
-
BY CHRIS COGNAC
Special to Rave!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the things I love to do is to try to make my editor really hungry when he reads my column.HeÂ’s told me, on several occasions, that IÂ’ve succeeded, so I made it my mission to take him out for some great food at a place he had never been to. I called him for lunch three times a week for the past three months and he could never make it (editors are busy people).
-
So I decided to bring lunch to him. And I knew of the perfect place, IsaacÂ’s Cafe in Wilmington.
-
A few months ago, shortly after announcing my quest for the best burrito in the South Bay, I received an e-mail from a E! reader telling me about IsaacÂ’s.
-
The reader wrote that IsaacÂ’s has the best burritos around, a hot tip I had to investigate. So I hopped in the minivan and drove to Wilmington and, yes, to the home of some of the best burritos in town.
-
IssacÂ’s, which has been around since 1977, is on Fries Avenue, just off Anaheim Street across from the ILWU union hall (which is a good sign).
-
I spoke with Marcos Medina, the ownerÂ’s son, who told me the recipes come from his motherÂ’s family and that she still cooks the meats and salsa fresh in the kitchen every day.
-
Indeed, MedinaÂ’s mother, Antonia, was in the kitchen along with several other ladies stirring up big pots of green chili pork and red chili beef, as well as making fresh refried beans.
-
Medina said one of the most popular burritos is the Jones Burrito, made with red chili beef, cheese and fresh avocado ($3.75). He also clued me in on the Dispatch Burrito, a breakfast burrito that has bacon, eggs, rice, beans, cheese, avocado and red chili sauce ($4.25).
-
I got my big box of food and headed off to the Daily Breeze office determined to get my editor and the rest of the department to eat some great food they might not otherwise have tried. I plopped the big box of burritos, rice, beans and that tasty green salsa onto a desk and told everyone I needed to conduct some research for an article.
-
We quickly got down to some serious eating. We had the carne asada burritos made with fresh salsa and avocado ($3.75). The asada was very tasty and good quality. My editor deemed it his favorite.
-
Then came the Jones Burrito, which was good too. I really like the way the red chili beef is slow cooked, tender and not too spicy.
-
The consensus favorite by a long shot, though, was the green chili pork burrito ($3.75). The green chili pork is slow-cooked and is incredibly tender. The quality of the pork is good with very lean cuts of meat. The green chili sauce is something special and really tastes great — and it has some heat to it.
-
I watched as news reporter Ian Gregor dug into the green chili burrito, then began to turn red about 30 seconds into it. He had to stand back to gain his composure, then began to devour the rest of the burrito. He told me the spiciness sneaks up on you, but that it was really good.
-
Then I watched happily as photographer Branimir Kvartuc (who recently returned to the world of carnivores) destroyed a green chili burrito.
-
I had succeeded in my mission to show the staff what good food was about.
-
I am still on my quest for the best burrito in the South Bay, itÂ’s just going to take a little longer than expected as there are a lot of great burritos to try.
----------------------------------------------
-
IsaacÂ’s Cafe, 632 N. Fries Ave., Wilmington, CA 90744-5402 // 310-830-4933. Hours: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays. Carne Asada Burrito ($3.75), Green Chili Pork Burrito ($3.75), Dispatch Burrito, a breakfast burrito ($4.25).
-
Chris Cognac, a detective for a South Bay police department, specializes in reviewing hole-in-the-wall restaurants. If youÂ’d like him to conduct a culinary investigation at a restaurant youÂ’ve been hesitant to try, write to him at the Daily Breeze, 5215 Torrance Blvd., Torrance, CA, 90503 or e-mail him at chris@culinary detective.com.
- - -
I wound hate to go into the $hitter after you guys were done.LOL

Krazy K
02-01-2005, 04:01 PM
The "Dispatch" burrito??
Is that because it "dispatches" your bowels??
I might have to check them out next time I'm in town!
There is a place up here called Super Torta, that have THE best Al Pastor burrito I have ever eaten!!

looky_lou
02-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Man, I could sure use a good burrito right now. Only problem is, I am in NY. :frown:

Kilrtoy
02-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Now this is up my alley,
Burrito's carne asada more specificly,
Issac's is good
but the best is
LA CARRETTA
is is on compton and vernon.
NOTHING COMES CLOSE....
the apache in huntington park on Gage is also the bomb, equal to isaacs

totenhosen
02-01-2005, 04:40 PM
El Tepeyac in East LA I think is the best!

Kilrtoy
02-01-2005, 04:44 PM
El Tepeyac in East LA I think is the best!
El tepeyac is way OVERRATED, go across the street to CIRO's way better

HOOTER SLED-
02-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Orales pues OG. This place is pretty close to my house. If we go to the boat show again this week, I'll have to hook you and Bobby up with a couple. Wilmington, 3 miles from me. Wilmas way ese!!! :D What days you gonna be there?

Parker Dreamin
02-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Dont claim Wemaaas being so close to you..come on..torrance in da house....

boatnam2
02-01-2005, 06:15 PM
that place is just up the street from my work and i keep hearing great things .

thesunking
02-01-2005, 06:57 PM
. . . . and the waiting time is a lot less!

HOOTER SLED-
02-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Dont claim Wemaaas being so close to you..come on..torrance in da house....
Sorry, I'm Mexican, and I have an Uncle that used to live in Wilmington.

77charger
02-01-2005, 09:05 PM
I like the king taco carne asada burritos myself with the red hot sauce.
chronic tacos in newport does a good job too!There are a few hole in the wall places that make some good ones too that i go to just cant remember the names of them.I must have all meat and hot sauce only no mild stuff here

Roxysnow
02-01-2005, 09:06 PM
You want a good burrito... go to the TACO FACTORY! They rock!

boatnam2
02-01-2005, 09:58 PM
hey sunking your a glazier my pops has being doing it for 40 years both my brothers are glaziers even did a little stint myself back in the day in the local 636.

Jrocket
02-01-2005, 10:04 PM
hey sunking your a glazier my pops has being doing it for 40 years both my brothers are glaziers even did a little stint myself back in the day in the local 636.
Hey boatnam,whats that mexican food place just south/west of your work...Always busy and its like a fast food and sit down to eat place?

boatnam2
02-01-2005, 10:14 PM
diana's they make a pretty good wet red burrito.there is a place at normandie and sepulveda called la gordito's that makes a really good colorado or verde burrito for the torannce homies!

Jrocket
02-01-2005, 10:19 PM
I think it was on Avalon just west of sepulveda...maybe it was Diana's.

djunkie
02-01-2005, 10:25 PM
The Burnt Tortilla in Gardena has some good burritos. Isaacs is good also. I like their green burrito. Burns as much going in as it does coming out. :220v:

Kilrtoy
02-01-2005, 10:29 PM
The burnt tortilla is a little pricey for a burrito, albeit it is good

Jrocket
02-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Another burrito thread? (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45953&highlight=burrito)
I thought this thread topic looked familiar? What gives Mr. Burrito guy?

Badger301
02-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Best damn burrito is in West Covina!!! Wifey learned from her mom

thesunking
02-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Dude, I've heard of your Dad at Olson and spent many years with John working in the highrise buildings of Los Angeles.

boatnam2
02-02-2005, 05:23 PM
yea i guess my dad was a legend in the glass world well in his mind anyways.ive seen him do some pretty hairy shit on highrises that had my legs trembling. i remember i my first experience on a highrise building my dads crew all get stoned at 6 in the morning about 20 guys and the go hang glass on the outside of a building i was blown away.johnny is my little bro.

thesunking
02-02-2005, 06:00 PM
yea i guess my dad was a legend in the glass world well in his mind anyways.ive seen him do some pretty hairy shit on highrises that had my legs trembling. i remember i my first experience on a highrise building my dads crew all get stoned at 6 in the morning about 20 guys and the go hang glass on the outside of a building i was blown away.johnny is my little bro.
Would you be willing to give me a crash course on Boating 101? I've had the boat since early December. The last time the boat was in the water was with the seller and myself. I'm slated for overtime for the next few weekends, I'll work with your schedule if you can help.
BTW-I'm calling John tomorrow just for shiats, hopefully I can talk him into bringing out his eggbeater.

boatnam2
02-02-2005, 06:02 PM
name the day and i will be there.what lake and what kinda of boat?

thesunking
02-02-2005, 06:17 PM
name the day and i will be there.what lake and what kinda of boat?
I'll let you know as soon as my Saturday's become free or maybe we can shoot for Sunday?
http://images.snapfish.com/342%3A5%3C8323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A43%3D6%3 B%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23236%3C4%3B%3B453%3Bot1lsi
That's the eggbeater, it's a 01 Larson SEI 186 with a 5.0

totenhosen
02-02-2005, 06:40 PM
I WILL!

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
02-02-2005, 07:16 PM
has anybody mentioned El Terasco in Manhattan Beach on Rosecrans? That burrito competes with Issacs.....

boatnam2
02-02-2005, 07:26 PM
that will work i had a 18ft glastron with a 4.3.my first new boat back when.

team 933
02-02-2005, 08:38 PM
THE HOTTEST AROUND :devil:

Scream
02-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Juanitas in Pomona and Ontario. Holes in the wall to be sure, but damn good food.
King Taco, now that's some damn good food. The only time I get to eat KT is during the races in Fontucky or LB.
Scream

Ryphraph
02-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Who yanked all the West Covinaians chains? :D
Boca Del Rio has pretty good burrito...The original one in La Puente is better than West Covina though.
Ryph

thesunking
02-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Who yanked all the West Covinaians chains? :D
Boca Del Rio has pretty good burrito...The original one in La Puente is better than West Covina though.
Ryph
Now, that's getting close to home. I recently discovered another hole in the wall (that's been around since the wheel was invented) called Gardunos on Maine and Vineland in Baldwin Park. Ask for a oven baked buritto, it's wet and my choice of meat is "Al Pastor", goes down really well with a SILVER BULLET!

charlyox
02-02-2005, 10:51 PM
how about El Menero right next to the Pomona drags.great carnitas!There are all kinds of stickers from the racers that eat there

fat rat
02-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Burito Brother's, Penn ave at 1st S.E. Washington D.C............for $5.25, a honkin beef, chicken, or pork burrito and a soda. :cool:

OGShocker
02-03-2005, 02:06 PM
Burritos and SNOW never mix well....LOL

OGShocker
02-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Orales pues OG. This place is pretty close to my house. If we go to the boat show again this week, I'll have to hook you and Bobby up with a couple. Wilmington, 3 miles from me. Wilmas way ese!!! :D What days you gonna be there?
I'll be at the show ALL weekend. You going to bring some Burritos and Red Bull to the show?... :D :idea: :idea: :jawdrop:

OGShocker
02-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Another burrito thread? (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45953&highlight=burrito)
I thought this thread topic looked familiar? What gives Mr. Burrito guy?
What are you talking about? :D
I get hungry for a Greenie and forget past post. Plus the commision checks from Issac's pay for my boat fuel... :supp: :D ;)

Chase
02-03-2005, 02:16 PM
especially if somebody decides to add some silantro... :eat:

fat rat
02-03-2005, 02:16 PM
True.........but the green chile sauce sure helps keep you warm. lol ;)

OGShocker
02-03-2005, 02:31 PM
especially if somebody decides to add some silantro... :eat:
We might wanna stay away from that subject...LOL :2purples:

Artv
02-03-2005, 02:56 PM
DonÂ’t forget about Lupe's burritos in East LA. The chicharon burrito is the bomb, Its located on 1st, down the street from king taco.

dmontzsta
02-03-2005, 02:57 PM
mexi casa in Anaheim...cheap and good quality.
give me a chile verde burrito wet style.
or...a good ole hole in the wall in the ghetto with flys always has good carne asada burritos.

HOOTER SLED-
02-03-2005, 03:38 PM
I'll be at the show ALL weekend. You going to bring some Burritos and Red Bull to the show?... :D :idea: :idea: :jawdrop:
Let me see what I can swing. Besides my nuts of course. :wink: You got those Red Bulls I gave Bobby right. Or did he hide them?? That shits like crack you know. :D