PDA

View Full Version : G race prepped bowl and droop snoot

78Southwind
02-01-2005, 01:18 PM
I am thinking about buying a G bowl or a G race prepped bowl with a droop snoot. Is this a worth while investment with out the purchase of a ride plate? What type of performance gains will I see?
Also, is there much difference between a regular G bowl and a race prepped beside the veins being modified? Will there be performance gains between the two? The difference in the bowls cost are about $200 so I am just wondering if it is worth it to get the race prepped bowl.
Lastly, I currently have a C bowl does anyone know what the price is to convert a C to a G and then have it race prepped?
Thanks,
Jerry

sdba069
02-01-2005, 02:29 PM
I'd look for a good used Berkeley or Dominator bowl. I've sold every one I can get my hands on for between $125 and $250. Be patient and one will show up. On most lake boats I'd find it hard to justify the race prep. I doubt that you would notice much or any difference without going to the 1/4 mile and doing comparison runs. Find a good used one and send it off to have it extrude honed. The snoot would be a plus. We have a kit that is used to convert the standard intake over to where it has a shoe and ride plate. The kit runs about $250. The best way to do the shoe/intake is to pull the intake and machine it for a shoe. Lot more work, but lots more tunability. My .02.

78Southwind
02-01-2005, 05:36 PM
I'd look for a good used Berkeley or Dominator bowl. I've sold every one I can get my hands on for between $125 and $250. Be patient and one will show up. On most lake boats I'd find it hard to justify the race prep. I doubt that you would notice much or any difference without going to the 1/4 mile and doing comparison runs. Find a good used one and send it off to have it extrude honed. The snoot would be a plus. We have a kit that is used to convert the standard intake over to where it has a shoe and ride plate. The kit runs about $250. The best way to do the shoe/intake is to pull the intake and machine it for a shoe. Lot more work, but lots more tunability. My .02.
Thanks
Anyone else?

HotHallet
02-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Hey 78! Whats up? Saw your boat in Hot Boat. Congrats man. It looked great. Call Jack at MPD in Costa Mesa and inquire about the C to G conversion. I had it done on my boat and I think it was about 350.
HotHallet

berk
02-01-2005, 05:48 PM
i have two more questions to hijack on this thread.
1: where do you go for extrude honing?
2: is there any info on sharpening/prepping bowls that the backyard mechanic can use to do this job?
ps, as far as droop snoots go, beware, there are several different configs and a droop might not help either. i tried one and it seemed to make the nozzle drag in the water too much. ive read a straight snoot can be better. i havent tried one yet though.

hack job
02-01-2005, 05:48 PM
yeah the conversion is like 350-375 and then you have the time in to haveing it flowed . i odnt know what Jack gets for that ? it would depend on how far you want to take it . i woud say call jack and see what he would Charge ;)

Duane HTP
02-01-2005, 06:13 PM
I've got a used polished ATJ bowl that has already been extrude honed for sale for $400.00, and a Polished Berkeley G bowl that has had flow work done on it for $300.00. if you might be interested.

78Southwind
02-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Hey 78! Whats up? Saw your boat in Hot Boat. Congrats man. It looked great. Call Jack at MPD in Costa Mesa and inquire about the C to G conversion. I had it done on my boat and I think it was about 350.
HotHallet
Thanks Travis
I can't wait to read your article in Truckin about CBBB4 :D

tahitijet
02-01-2005, 07:50 PM
I just called Jack saturday and left a message about sending my bowl off for the conversion..
Somewhere along the line on this board (or one of them) i've read a few times that a converted C bowl flowed better then a G bowl anyway??? Im not sure if this is true or not but i think it's the way i'm going.

78Southwind
02-01-2005, 07:54 PM
I just called Jack saturday and left a message about sending my bowl off for the conversion..
Somewhere along the line on this board (or one of them) i've read a few times that a converted C bowl flowed better then a G bowl anyway??? Im not sure if this is true or not but i think it's the way i'm going.
Thanks Steve
Do you have any numbers for your boat yet?

tahitijet
02-01-2005, 09:16 PM
No not yet.. the boat has been put away for the winter and i've been swamped at the shop. I did get a GPS for my birthday yesterday so i should have some numbers in mid March or so. Hopefully i'll have it all dialed in and ready to go for CBBB

Jake W2
02-01-2005, 09:26 PM
The converted C bowl has longer Veins than the G bowl so it strightens out the water more so than the G bowl.But it is said that a stock C bowl flows better than a stock G bowl for the same reasons.
Jake

tahitijet
02-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Jerry,
FYI i called jack today cause i was wanting to get my bowl sent off asap.. he said he is to busy to do one right now.. He said the conversion is very involved and he just doens't have the time.
So if anyone has a G bowl i'm in the market for one lol.

Duane HTP
02-04-2005, 06:35 AM
The Polished ATJ bowl sold. Thanks.

moneysucker
02-04-2005, 05:52 PM
I just bought one of his bowls too. Watch e-bay. Last week was good for parts. Bad for my wallet, but good for parts. Thanks again Garry, I decided to quit and fly home and go boating and get back to my real job. I wouldn't go with the $ to get a race bowl. For your hull, I would go with a droop and diverter. Get a bowl on e-bay. Your best buy for the money.

78Southwind
02-05-2005, 10:22 PM
I've got a used polished ATJ bowl that has already been extrude honed for sale for $400.00, and a Polished Berkeley G bowl that has had flow work done on it for $300.00. if you might be interested.
PMed you Duane