PDA

View Full Version : engine input...

Domn8er
02-01-2005, 10:14 PM
I put this in the tech forums but didn't get too many responses...
I don't know much about blown engines. I was told yesterday (Saturday) at the boat show it is better to build horsepower on the outside of the block rather than inside. And that bigger ci is more torque and that will cause more problems. I have a guy that can build an engine with a 540 ci block that will put out 702 hp naturally aspirated. So my question is, should I go with the bigger displacement with out the blower or should I get a smaller block maybe 509 and get it blown? I also want longevity out of the engine.

4-B
02-01-2005, 10:17 PM
I say go with the big horse power and the blower :devil:

Tom Brown
02-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Why not have the best of all worlds?
Go with a setback bracket and an outboard. :cool:

Domn8er
02-01-2005, 10:19 PM
I say go with the big horse power and the blower :devil:
I've heard good and bad things about blown engines so I want to get peoples input on them. Again, I want longevity and as little problems as possible (and yes I know it is a boat so that is impossilbe). :hammerhea

boatnam2
02-01-2005, 10:21 PM
good question i have had both a 454 blown making around 750+ and now a 509 na making 620.mysef i would go with the bigger cubes with out the blower.

Tom Brown
02-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Blowers require maintenance. The frequency of this maintenance varies with the capacity of the blower.
I'm surprised your question didn't generate a ton of great input in Gear Heads. :confused:

Sleek-Jet
02-01-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm surprised your question didn't generate a ton of great input in Gear Heads. :confused:
They are all dreaming about Fiat's billet dildo.... :220v: :D

Tom Brown
02-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Oh boy... that's good. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Midlife Advantage
02-01-2005, 10:34 PM
I don't know much about blown engines. I was told yesterday (Saturday) at the boat show it is better to build horsepower on the outside of the block rather than inside. And that bigger ci is more torque and that will cause more problems. I have a guy that can build an engine with a 540 ci block that will put out 702 hp naturally aspirated. So my question is, should I go with the bigger displacement with out the blower or should I get a smaller block maybe 509 and get it blown? I also want longevity out of the engine.
Hey brutha, the guy to talk to is Shaken not Stirred, he does more research on engines than he should! Paul Pfaff built his latest engine, it has a Whipple on it and he's pretty happy.

Domn8er
02-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Hey brutha, the guy to talk to is Shaken not Stirred, he does more research on engines than he should! Paul Pfaff built his latest engine, it has a Whipple on it and he's pretty happy.
sup Tim? Cool, thanks for the input.

C-2
02-01-2005, 11:07 PM
I also need to repower and will be looking for some big cubes, N/A motor. 572's are the flavor of the day.
You might try research in the tech section at OSO - some boys over there really know their chit.
Obnoxious001 (Barry) from this board used to be over at GT Performance and builds a smoking motor from what people have said. You might try picking his brain although I think he is at a ski tow race in Auzzie land.
A 540 with 700 ponies is pretty damn nice.

Domn8er
02-01-2005, 11:12 PM
A 540 with 700 ponies is pretty damn nice.
True. I want to get all sort of input. Would getting the 540 blown be bad?

C-2
02-01-2005, 11:21 PM
What are you putting it in, what type of boating do you do and can your hull and DRIVE handle anything more than 700?

Roxysnow
02-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Would much rather be faster at lower RPM's and easier on the engine. Stick with the bigger cubes. Less maintence too. :D

Burnout
02-02-2005, 05:07 AM
Your best bet for HP is always by blower. But, if I wanted a really reliable engine, build the engine from the inside. The torque can be facilitated through cam lift, duration, manifold, etc. You can build HP by going to a higher compression ratio. A well built engine from the inside can be built bullet proof!

LHC30Victory
02-02-2005, 08:15 AM
I would guess that whenever you put a compressor on a motor, you lessen the life due to increased stress in side. I would talk also to Ray at Raylar (he's at the show still). and see what his explanation would be.

THOR
02-02-2005, 08:19 AM
I have a few friends that run the n/a 540 and they love it. Never seen or heard of problems with them either.

Domn8er
02-02-2005, 08:57 AM
What are you putting it in, what type of boating do you do and can your hull and DRIVE handle anything more than 700?
28' Domn8er Cat. The drive will be an Imco SC drive. Type of boating???? I usually will be at Lake Mohave but Havasu every once in a while. Another possibility would be getting twin 496 HO's... any input on this as well???

LHC30Victory
02-02-2005, 09:14 AM
28' Domn8er Cat. The drive will be an Imco SC drive. Type of boating???? I usually will be at Lake Mohave but Havasu every once in a while. Another possibility would be getting twin 496 HO's... any input on this as well???
We LOVE our Twin 496 HO's!!! Even Phat Matt will agree

Domn8er
02-02-2005, 09:18 AM
What speeds are you getting?

LHC30Victory
02-02-2005, 10:00 AM
we are getting about 80 at 4900 with stock 28P bravo 4Blades. the boat is so far out of the water at that speed we need to rework the props for more bow lift and perhaps tabs to see the last coupe hundred rpm.
We cruise all day long at 52-54 at 3400.

jackpunx
02-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Go with the big CI and a blower then De tune it..
Get the right parts.. and it will last.. you can always put a smaller pulley on it to go faster.. Just remember.. You will never take it off once you put it on..lol
I ran a HP500 with a 3.3 whipple for two seasons (about 800hp190 hrs) and I ran it hard..we took it apart and the only signs of stress was the rings.. I’m building another one right now.. it will be done next week..
540 quad rotor..
GT Performance did both engines.. I have never had a problem.. Not ONE!! He takes the time to explain the pros and cons to each application depending on the type of boating you do.... He stands behind his work..
You will hear lots of different stories..
The thing that I have learned is....
SPEND THE MONEY NOW!.. get exactly what you want.. Don’t skimp.. You will be out on the lake kickin yourself if you do that.. do it right the first time and it will cost less in the long run..
Good luck
Mark

LHC30Victory
02-02-2005, 10:41 AM
I too talked to GT about twins vs one big motor. They bluntly stated that twins in a (relatively) heavy boat is the right way to go because a single will tear up drives! Iagree that GT has a GREAT rep for their work and would have them build any custom motor.
The thing about twins is the reliability, redundancy and maneuverability you get. Can a single let you turn the boat on its own axis?
Another thing, after talking to Raylar, they can make the same (reliable) HP of a 525 with their kit. that combo costs less that a 525. If I had the $$, it would be done already!

jackpunx
02-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Would much rather be faster at lower RPM's and easier on the engine. Stick with the bigger cubes. Less maintence too. :D.
The problem with this is you need a lot of torque.. Although that is what will get you out of the hole.. Its also what kills drives.. If you build an engine to run at a higher RPM .. You can less pitch in the prop.. This puts less stress on the drive and with less pitch.. you will have less slip.. Either way you have to give something up.. If you maintain your engine and its built correctly you can run the crap out of it..

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Yep.....
More cubic inches.....565 !!
Nothin beats a sweet blower motor !!!!!!
Mine dynoed at 987HP at 5,900 RPM and peak torque was at 963LBS at 4,000 RPM, at 9 LBS of boost.
I de-tuned it to see if I can make it last 400 hrs or so.....
She'll run about 5,500 RPM in the summer & 6,000 RPM in the winter.
I am running a 28P prop to help save my drive..... I can just push a 30P, but as stated above, too hard on the drive.....
I have about 60 hours on the motor without any problems.....
Blew my drive up at 5 hrs......So far 55 HRS without drive problems....
CJG
:wink:

Domn8er
02-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Yep.....
More cubic inches.....565 !!
Nothin beats a sweet blower motor !!!!!!
CJG
So, in my case what would you go with????

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-02-2005, 12:31 PM
So, in my case what would you go with????
Well.....
No one ever says "Hey...I wish my boat was a little slower"......
Don't build a 509 or a 540.....Just build a 565 blower motor and keep the boost down to 6 or 7 lbs.
I have had great luck with Whipple, but some here like root's type blowers and I'm not a ProCharger fan.
Use either Bob Teague, Gary Teague or Pfaff......and get your motor dynoed....and get a dyno sheet.....You spent that kind of money....You want it dynoed......and not just a test motor, YOUR motor.
But......
Know what your getting your self into.....Big HP blower motors don't last as long as non-blown motors, but they sure are fun while they run. And you WILL be spending some money on a drive now & then.....
I am hoping to change the valvetrain at 200 hrs & re-fresh the motor at 400 hrs......So we'll see........
Hope this helps.....
Later,
CJG

jackpunx
02-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Well.....
Don't build a 509 or a 540.....Just build a 565 blower motor and keep the boost down to 6 or 7 lbs.
I have had great luck with Whipple, but some here like root's type blowers and I'm not a ProCharger fan.
Use either Bob Teague, Gary Teague or Pfaff......and get your motor dynoed....and get a dyno sheet.....You spent that kind of money....You want it dynoed......and not just a test motor, YOUR motor.
But......
Know what your getting your self into.....Big HP blower motors don't last as long as non-blown motors, but they sure are fun while they run. And you WILL be spending some money on a drive now & then.....
I am hoping to change the valvetrain at 200 hrs & re-fresh the motor at 400 hrs......So we'll see........
Hope this helps.....
Later,
CJG
This sounds right to me..
good luck .. let us know what you decide.. Infomaniac can help also.. he builds a good motor.

LHC30Victory
02-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Speed costs money! How fast do you want to go???

Domn8er
02-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Speed costs money! How fast do you want to go???
I want to go about 90. I was shown the dyno sheet and the engine put out 702 hp and was hitting 80 mph on the 28' deckboat. I think the cat and the deck are about the same weight.

Domn8er
02-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Well.....
But......
Hope this helps.....
Later,
CJG
Thanks for your input. :cool:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Why not have the best of all worlds?
Go with a setback bracket and an outboard. :cool:
Well.....The Weed-Wacker approach is the best power/weight wise..... :notam:
But it just sounds "Pussy-As-Hell".......c'mon....give-us-a-rev!!
Wingggggg.......Winggggg !!!!! :p
Hehe! :cool:
CJG

LHC30Victory
02-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Wingggggg.......Winggggg !!!!! :p
Hehe! :cool:
CJG
Hey Chris, can't you see this guy is trying to get serious answers? Go back to work!

Tom Brown
02-02-2005, 02:53 PM
I love the gut pounding rumble of a burbling big block but there's something blood curdling about an outboard cranking out a 9K RPM note. Also, let's be honest here, outboard guys get way more sex than the car motor boys. :cool:

Mrs D
02-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Nice choice in boats ;)

Midlife Advantage
02-02-2005, 06:29 PM
I love the gut pounding rumble of a burbling big block but there's something blood curdling about an outboard cranking out a 9K RPM note. Also, let's be honest here, outboard guys get way more sex than the car motor boys. :cool:
HA! says you! what do women prefer? wingwingydingydingding or BROPAAAHH!

shadow
02-02-2005, 06:51 PM
I want to go about 90. I was shown the dyno sheet and the engine put out 702 hp and was hitting 80 mph on the 28' deckboat. I think the cat and the deck are about the same weight.
I wouldn't think that a deckboat with a cat bottom should take 702 HP to get 80MPH.I've got a 27' cat with 525hp and am at 80mph.The 702HP should put you pretty dam close to where you want if 90mph is your goal.

Domn8er
02-02-2005, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't think that a deckboat with a cat bottom should take 702 HP to get 80MPH.I've got a 27' cat with 525hp and am at 80mph.The 702HP should put you pretty dam close to where you want if 90mph is your goal.
It's a heavy boat...but good quality construction.

shadow
02-02-2005, 08:22 PM
It's a heavy boat...but good quality construction.
Just curious,my boat is about 5000lbs then loaded with another 500lbs of stereo equip and batteries,fuel & passengers.whats the 28 Domn8er weigh?

Domn8er
02-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Just curious,my boat is about 5000lbs then loaded with another 500lbs of stereo equip and batteries,fuel & passengers.whats the 28 Domn8er weigh?
This is from powerboat...
An 850-hp supercharged engine, built in-house at Domn8er, powered the cat, which rode on stepped sponsons and a center pod. Though the engine was not performing to its 5,500 rpm potential, we did run the boat to more than 90 mph. With the engine at its best, the cat should top 105 mph, according to the company representative.
That’s not bad for cat that weighs in at a hefty—for a 28-footer—6,100 pounds dry. Domn8er’s representative told us that the company’s goal is not to “build really light for speed.” And though we didn’t put the 28 cat through rigorous handling drills, we found it easy to drive.
“It’s definitely not light,” the company representative said. “Our goal is to build solid, user-friendly boats.”

Phat Matt
02-02-2005, 08:33 PM
I love twins. :D
http://www.jlphotography.com/tw8.jpg http://www.jlphotography.com/twins1d.jpg http://extratv.warnerbros.com/dailynews/pop/05_01/images/bt_pink.jpg http://extratv.warnerbros.com/dailynews/pop/05_01/images/bt_10.jpg http://extratv.warnerbros.com/dailynews/pop/05_01/images/0103_2.jpg http://www.twinship.tv/images/twinscoors3.JPG
Two engines are pretty cool to. :D

shadow
02-02-2005, 08:41 PM
This is from powerboat...
An 850-hp supercharged engine, built in-house at Domn8er, powered the cat, which rode on stepped sponsons and a center pod. Though the engine was not performing to its 5,500 rpm potential, we did run the boat to more than 90 mph. With the engine at its best, the cat should top 105 mph, according to the company representative.
That’s not bad for cat that weighs in at a hefty—for a 28-footer—6,100 pounds dry. Domn8er’s representative told us that the company’s goal is not to “build really light for speed.” And though we didn’t put the 28 cat through rigorous handling drills, we found it easy to drive.
“It’s definitely not light,” the company representative said. “Our goal is to build solid, user-friendly boats.”
Dammm! and i thought my boat was heavy.Heavy is not all bad though. Unless you are out to win races.

Domn8er
02-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Dammm! and i thought my boat was heavy.Heavy is not all bad though. Unless you are out to win races.
I agree. I want to get good speed, but I'm not out to race anybody.

shadow
02-02-2005, 08:43 PM
I always thought i could live with out twins untill now. :p

TPI
02-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Domn8r,
MY OPINION:
The "easier" way all around is to go naturally aspirated, and cheaper. If you need at least a 700 hp EFI motor, its going to take some cubic inches (572,588, etc............)MINIMUM! Trust me, its the truth. They will be a bit sluggish out of the gate, but they will come on strong, which is easier on the drive. For me, a 540+ with a single 3.3L whipple is the best money spent and the best investment overall by far. But for you, I think the N/A motor is going to be the ticket to satisfy ALL of your needs. Good luck
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9686&stc=1
TP700EFI

C-2
02-02-2005, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=LHC30Victory]I too talked to GT about twins vs one big motor. They bluntly stated that twins in a (relatively) heavy boat is the right way to go because a single will tear up drives!
QUOTE]
If you can catch Fred Inman at the show - ask him this same question. He'll also tell you the biggest mistake everybody makes is too much horse on a single drive in a heavy boat. Guys are breaking drive's on 25' Daytona's in the 800hp range, which obviously is a much lighter boat.
My buddy's son just got a 28' Eliminator tall deck cat with twin 496 ho's - I'll ask him how fast he's running.
I also remember seeing a HB mag story with a 28' Daytona w/two of the converted 572 crate motors - maybe yopu should see if you can find that info too.
With a single drive on your boat - anything above 600-700 hp and you're gonna have drive problems based upon everything I've ever heard/read.
Keep asking around, you're a smart man for doing so!

HP350SC
02-02-2005, 09:23 PM
I ran a HP500 with a 3.3 whipple for two seasons (about 800hp190 hrs) and I ran it hard..we took it apart and the only signs of stress was the rings.. I’m building another one right now.. it will be done next week..
540 quad rotor..
Mark
AH-HA! I knew it Jockpinx! 540 quad will be one sick mo-fo! I will be interested to see how it runs. See you at Shasta :D HP305SC out. :wink:

DogHouse
02-02-2005, 09:55 PM
After building and living with a naturally aspirated EFI 598 that dyno'd at over 800 hp and 770 ft-lbs on pump gas, I can honestly say that I would not do it again. Making big power without boost requires some compromises. In my case, the pistons are short, so oil control is not great, the valve trane is very agressive, requiring periodic valve adjustments and accelerated wear/tear on springs and rollers, and an idle that is rough, making shifting a challenge. "Next time" I would build something smaller, with a low maintenance valve trane, and use some sort of blower or turbo setup to make moderate boost and get the power.
-Brian

C-2
02-02-2005, 10:04 PM
After building and living with a naturally aspirated EFI 598 that dyno'd at over 800 hp and 770 ft-lbs on pump gas, I can honestly say that I would not do it again. Making big power without boost requires some compromises. In my case, the pistons are short, so oil control is not great, the valve trane is very agressive, requiring periodic valve adjustments and accelerated wear/tear on springs and rollers, and an idle that is rough, making shifting a challenge. "Next time" I would build something smaller, with a low maintenance valve trane, and use some sort of blower or turbo setup to make moderate boost and get the power.
-Brian
Twins or single, Brian - whadda ya think?

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-02-2005, 10:22 PM
For me, a 540+ with a single 3.3L whipple is the best money spent and the best investment overall by far.
What he said!
:D

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Actually......
Boat Dry - 4,500
100 Gal of Fuel - 600
3-4 People - 650
Anchors,Stereo,Tools,Batteries,Cooler & Crap - 250
--------
Yikes! 6,000 Lbs
Sure add's up fast......
No more fat chicks !!!!!.....or another 100 HP !!!!!
Hehehehehehe!!!!
CJG
:cool:

DogHouse
02-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Twins or single, Brian - whadda ya think?
Why twins, of course... if one is good, two must be better!
We're still talking boats here right?
;)

Midlife Advantage
02-03-2005, 08:36 AM
so lets hear more about twin 496 HO's, on say a 26 or 28' boat, with maybe the kit mentioned, Raylar? cat or deepV, speed vs comfort. I know that I would not put anymore horsepower in my 25' citation, it rides too high in the water on plane, and doesn't take the rough water nearly as well as a cat. SNS likes his 27' Adv with the block he has, I think the extra two feet help a lot in rough water, but I am thinkin Cat for my next boat, and two blocks. I like the ideas on one high HP block blowing drives vs. splittin it up between two.

boatnam2
02-03-2005, 09:23 AM
my 28ft deckboat with a teague 620 100gallons of gas and 4 people went 77-78mph.even though a deckboat is a cat the wall in the front where you walk through is like a friggin wind block scrubbing a few mph's off im sure.

LHC30Victory
02-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Midlife - you are welcome on our boat anytime. Ask Matt and Jen about the ride. :p
Yes the extra two or three feet make a difference in the ride and yes we are running a 30'. The extra motor is nice (except when spending $ on maint and upgrades) the fuel cost isn't a big deal since ea motor is running slower than a comparable single. Withe the two motor/drives, I am putting 850hp out in B1X drives and expect them to last quite awhile (fingers crossed!).
I would like a cat for the "regular" water but when ya get the 4' stuff, the V is the only way to go. And you don't have to worry about blowing over or digging a sponson. Storage in a V is usually better.

Domn8er
02-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Midlife - you are welcome on our boat anytime. Ask Matt and Jen about the ride. :p
Yes the extra two or three feet make a difference in the ride and yes we are running a 30'. The extra motor is nice (except when spending $ on maint and upgrades) the fuel cost isn't a big deal since ea motor is running slower than a comparable single. Withe the two motor/drives, I am putting 850hp out in B1X drives and expect them to last quite awhile (fingers crossed!).
I would like a cat for the "regular" water but when ya get the 4' stuff, the V is the only way to go. And you don't have to worry about blowing over or digging a sponson. Storage in a V is usually better.
what speeds are you getting???

LHC30Victory
02-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Right at 79m/h at 4800- 4900 w/stock 28 bravos, 80 gal fuel, three adults, 50qt ice chest - gonna do some tweaking on the 18th/ 19th.

Midlife Advantage
02-03-2005, 09:40 AM
duly noted, good input. I get to take my time on the next boat thats for sure, so all these little pieces help..

jackpunx
02-03-2005, 10:08 AM
AH-HA! I knew it Jockpinx! 540 quad will be one sick mo-fo! I will be interested to see how it runs. See you at Shasta :D HP305SC out. :wink:
LOL>. Im sick of trying to keep secrets.. It should run good.. we'll see if I got the sack :D

LHC30Victory
02-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Right at 79m/h at 4800- 4900 w/stock 28 bravos, 80 gal fuel, three adults, 50qt ice chest - gonna do some tweaking on the 18th/ 19th.
Lookie here:
Advantage 27' Victory
Paul Pfaff Racing Engines - Huntington Beach, CA.
Whipple Charged 565 @ 850 HP - GPS 85 MPH
Max Machine Worx Drive - Lake Havasu City, AZ.
Same HP - single drive (meaning about 1200lbs lighter) on a 3 ft shorter boat (about what, 800lb lighter?) only about 5mph difference. What does this mean? Not to dish Chris' boat cause it rocks, but something seems out of place here, what am I missing?

Midlife Advantage
02-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Lookie here:
Advantage 27' Victory
Paul Pfaff Racing Engines - Huntington Beach, CA.
Whipple Charged 565 @ 850 HP - GPS 85 MPH
Max Machine Worx Drive - Lake Havasu City, AZ.
Same HP - single drive (meaning about 1200lbs lighter) on a 3 ft shorter boat (about what, 800lb lighter?) only about 5mph difference. What does this mean? Not to dish Chris' boat cause it rocks, but something seems out of place here, what am I missing?
Its that annoying little line of trade off between weight, horsepower and hull types. I think you can get much better speeds out of a tunnel hull, of course, but the benefits of a V are obvious too. Somewhere in here is the perfect set up for a V: length vs. weight, dual engines with or without the added weight and wear of a blower, and the cost of blowing outdrives! The secret of the universe, mine at least.

UnionJack
02-03-2005, 10:55 AM
why dont more people use twin turbo?

Midlife Advantage
02-03-2005, 10:57 AM
I dunno. I dont know that much about them. but I would guess that they would blow drives out even faster.

LHC30Victory
02-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Not too smart on turbos, but isn't there lag on and off throttle?

Phat Matt
02-03-2005, 11:14 AM
I think running twins is a great set up. I guess you can think of it like 2wd vs 4wd. The boat gets up and moves without having to hammer it and you have less stress on stock drives. I like it!
Now should I buy a bigger new boat with twins or keep mine and invest in another house? That's the real question. :D

LHC30Victory
02-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Now should I buy a bigger new boat with twins or keep mine and invest in another house? That's the real question. :D
Keep your boat, buy our drinks and split the fuel.
Dont buy the house, rent ours and pay for our Raylay kits, Hyd Steering and Drive upgrades :D

UnionJack
02-03-2005, 11:18 AM
turbo has less torque then a blower motor....

UnionJack
02-03-2005, 11:18 AM
all the power is in the high rpm's

Phat Matt
02-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Keep your boat, buy our drinks and split the fuel.
Dont buy the house, rent ours and pay for our Raylay kits, Hyd Steering and Drive upgrades :D
Between rent, drinks, Raylar kitS, steering and drive upgrades I can do both.
Fuggit, I'll just do both! :D

Domn8er
02-03-2005, 11:48 AM
Fuggit, I'll just do both! :D
Nice... :D

HP350SC
02-03-2005, 12:07 PM
LOL>. Im sick of trying to keep secrets.. It should run good.. we'll see if I got the sack :D
Few questions if you don't mind: Are you going with injection? About how much was the total after all the motor work? Did you use the GEN VI block?

jackpunx
02-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Few questions if you don't mind: Are you going with injection? About how much was the total after all the motor work? Did you use the GEN VI block?
I used my block.. And I’m staying with Carbs
As far as total.. It was a lot.. But still about 20k less if I were to go to Teague and buy a TCM 1200.. basically its the same motor.. and I get the GT handshake warrantee. (if its a part frailer.. He'll fix it.. he does all the maintenance on it so nothing else could go wrong with it that I could do)
I just got off the phone with him.. its just about done.. The blowers are on they are dressing up the rest of the motor and then it goes on the dyno.. Im going to stop by and take a look tomorrow.. Hopefully I'll have it back by next weekend :smile:

Two K's
02-03-2005, 02:26 PM
If it was my choice I would go with a single big cube roots type blower engine over the n/a engine or the twin engine. These are just my thoughts but to get some good hp out of the n/a engine it will probably require an exotic cam and raised compression which could mean special fuels, possible water reversion at idle,stalling while trying to shift around docks and if you have to add mufflers with a hi perf cam can greater the reverison chance. Either engine needs a stronge lower end in it so why not have the blower engine that could idle better and you could dail in hp with boost. Either engine will require a strong drive so that shouldn't have any effect on your decision.As for going with twin setup it could be great. I think my tunnel would have worked better as a single. My boat was a 30' New Jersey built cobra with twins. Most of them were built as a single engine tunnel. I feel that the single version performed better than mine and with around 800hp was faster. When I asked the company why , they felt that the tunnel worked better with less weight of the second engine/drive package. The money you save by not going twins could be invested into a severe duty drive package.Either way you decide good luck with your domn8er, thats a nice boat!

Domn8er
02-03-2005, 02:38 PM
If it was my choice I would go with a single big cube roots type blower engine over the n/a engine or the twin engine. These are just my thoughts but to get some good hp out of the n/a engine it will probably require an exotic cam and raised compression which could mean special fuels, possible water reversion at idle,stalling while trying to shift around docks and if you have to add mufflers with a hi perf cam can greater the reverison chance. Either engine needs a stronge lower end in it so why not have the blower engine that could idle better and you could dail in hp with boost. Either engine will require a strong drive so that shouldn't have any effect on your decision.As for going with twin setup it could be great. I think my tunnel would have worked better as a single. My boat was a 30' New Jersey built cobra with twins. Most of them were built as a single engine tunnel. I feel that the single version performed better than mine and with around 800hp was faster. When I asked the company why , they felt that the tunnel worked better with less weight of the second engine/drive package. The money you save by not going twins could be invested into a severe duty drive package.Either way you decide good luck with your domn8er, thats a nice boat!
Thank you. With the blower, does it really make an engine less reliable? I know that it forcing air so eventually it will wear on the parts but are we talking a summer, two summers, a couple of trips???

jackpunx
02-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Thank you. With the blower, does it really make an engine less reliable? I know that it forcing air so eventually it will wear on the parts but are we talking a summer, two summers, a couple of trips???
I would say to take a look at your motor every 3 seasons.. I was going on 2 on my last one and could have made another one..
it ends up being around 300hrs

Domn8er
02-03-2005, 02:55 PM
I would say to take a look at your motor every 3 seasons.. I was going on 2 on my last one and could have made another one..
it ends up being around 300hrs
Thank you. That gives me a time frame. You had a 800hp and a whipple. What size block was that on?

jackpunx
02-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Thank you. That gives me a time frame. You had a 800hp and a whipple. What size block was that on?
It was on a stock HP500
It was a 502ci
allum heads
cam
whipple 3.3
1050 dominator carb
7 lbs boost on pump
9 lbs boost on Av gas
it was turn key for two years..
it was really hard for me to take it appart.. but.. I wanted to go bigger..

Domn8er
02-03-2005, 03:03 PM
It was on a stock HP500
It was a 502ci
allum heads
cam
whipple 3.3
1050 dominator carb
7 lbs boost on pump
9 lbs boost on Av gas
it was turn key for two years..
it was really hard for me to take it appart.. but.. I wanted to go bigger..
Thanks again for your input.

Two K's
02-03-2005, 03:13 PM
I feel engine timming being setup right is the biggist part of letting a blower engine live,and not letting it run lean. I think a blowermotor has become alot more reliable with todays technolgy in ign systems and in engine internal parts like ring, piston and bearing material. Maintence helps it live too.