PDA

View Full Version : Givin' Up Caffeine!!!

Huckleberry
02-02-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm joining a Biggest Loser weight loss contest at my work today, and am going to go serious Atkins Diet to shed the extra girth. The big bummer is I've gotta give up caffeine for the diet! :( For most folks this isn't such a huge deal, but I drink the Monster energy drinks.
Each one of those cans has around 7,000 mg of caffeine or caffeine-type stuff in them, and I drink two a day!!! The average cup of java has less than 200 mg of caffeine in it, so... 7,000 / 200 = 35 I'm hooked on the equivilent of 35 friggin' cups of coffee a day!!! Needless to say, I'm gonna be one grouchy son of a bitch for a week or two until the headaches and withdrawls go away!!! :hammerhea
I apologize up front if I flame on anyone during my "rehab" period! :eat: Wish me luck!

a catered life
02-02-2005, 08:46 AM
dam no caffine. :cry: good luck i think it may be longer than a week or two

Eliminator 4 Life
02-02-2005, 08:46 AM
poor Huckleberry

RiverOtter
02-02-2005, 08:47 AM
I thought Cafine helped with weight loss :confused:

AirtimeLavey
02-02-2005, 08:47 AM
Good luck...get ready for the mother of all headaches...for a while. :hammer2:

cdog
02-02-2005, 09:05 AM
I'm joining a Biggest Loser weight loss contest at my work today, and am going to go serious Atkins Diet to shed the extra girth. The big bummer is I've gotta give up caffeine for the diet! :( For most folks this isn't such a huge deal, but I drink the Monster energy drinks.
Each one of those cans has around 7,000 mg of caffeine or caffeine-type stuff in them, and I drink two a day!!! The average cup of java has less than 200 mg of caffeine in it, so... 7,000 / 200 = 35 I'm hooked on the equivilent of 35 friggin' cups of coffee a day!!! Needless to say, I'm gonna be one grouchy son of a bitch for a week or two until the headaches and withdrawls go away!!! :hammerhea
I apologize up front if I flame on anyone during my "rehab" period! :eat: Wish me luck!
Watch out! That diet is unsustainable and unhealthy. I would suggest the South Beach diet. It's a very well balanced way to eat a live healthy.

Brewzed
02-02-2005, 09:11 AM
I gave it up about 3 years ago. I also gave up regular soda at the same time. One of the hardest things I've done. Brutal headaches. I had some serious withdrawls. Thank God for diet sierra mist. No calories, no sugar and no caffine. It's my methadone.
Good Luck!

Tom Brown
02-02-2005, 09:54 AM
I apologize up front if I flame on anyone during my "rehab" period!
I look forward to it. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif
I found that I have a lot more energy now that I've cut out caffeine. The Atkins diet has been effective for a lot of people.
You've got a tough couple of weeks ahead of you. I was drinking 1~3 Cokes a day and the withdrawls were so bad I ended up taking two days off work. I believe that getting off Coke has made more of a positive change to my life than improving my diet and exercising.
Good luck. Don't forget to drink a lot of water. :)
- Tom

hallett 260
02-02-2005, 10:04 AM
I went from regular Coke to diet and lost 10 lbs in a month with just that change in diet. I was drinking about 4 a day and now I have about 5 diet cokes and never gained the weight back. I think regular Coke has about 200 calories (200 x 4= 800) thats the same as a full meal.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
02-02-2005, 10:09 AM
No caffeine? IT ISN"T WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
02-02-2005, 10:17 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_4_5.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm79987US') http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_4_7.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm79987US')

HCS
02-02-2005, 10:17 AM
I drink tea. It's good for you has lots of caffine and cuts fat. It's a great antioxidant. I drink 2 quarts a day.

AvengerBabe
02-02-2005, 11:11 AM
try drinking sparkling (carbonated) water. I get the lime and lemon flavored and it makes me feel like I am drinking a soda, but there is no sugar (or artificial sweetners, yuck!), no calories, and no caffeine. much healthier than a soda. :)

Her454
02-02-2005, 11:21 AM
If I had to give up Red Bull I'd lay down and die. Its the ONLY caffeine that goes in my system, period. Good Luck.

That Guy
02-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Good luck Jim...hang tough. You just need to get through the first couple of weeks..... :)

Rexone
02-02-2005, 11:27 AM
If you come off the caffiene slowly over a couple weeks the headaches should be much less severe or even a non issue. Cold turkey all at once... well I don't like pain that much :smile:
Those hypo drinks are definately not all that good for you IMO.

VEGASBABY
02-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Make sure you floss and always have breath mints the Atkins diet gives you bad breath,But it works I lost 40lbs!

Tom Brown
02-02-2005, 11:41 AM
I lost 40lbs!
Way to go, VB. :cool:

VEGASBABY
02-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks TB, It was work but its staying off! Plus workin out helps you gotta do that!

Her454
02-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Those hypo drinks are definately not all that good for you IMO.
:( Better than coffee tho right? :cry: Im down to two a day now...Im getting better.

Essex502
02-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Dropped caffiene over 20 years ago...no coke, no coffee, maybe a little chocolate now and again. Bad withdrawls for about a weak. Now I need more sleep than I did before I stopped taking it.
Good luck!

Artv
02-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Atkins is working for me, I have lost 13 pounds in 31 days.

Huckleberry
02-02-2005, 01:15 PM
I look forward to it. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif
- Tom
Blow me biatch!!! :wink:
How's that for a start???

Huckleberry
02-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Make sure you floss and always have breath mints the Atkins diet gives you bad breath,But it works I lost 40lbs!
Congrats of the loss!!! 40-45 pounds loss is my goal. But...unlike you, I REFUSE to wear the floss to get there!!! :)

AvengerBabe
02-02-2005, 02:14 PM
So thats what makes you so screaming Hot Hot Hot!!!!
HAHA!! thats right, dammit! :D

FMluvswater
02-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Wow. :supp: :clover: I was uncaffeinated for two years - I've decided I like me better caffeinated. I hate caffeine withdrawal headaches (I get them if I go too long without a coffee - hey it happens :D just not often :D ). I wish you success Huck. More power to you. :cool: I'll never willingly be uncaffeinated again. :2purples:

SHOTKALLIN
02-02-2005, 03:15 PM
sugar free breath mints :D

Sherpa
02-02-2005, 03:18 PM
I gave up caffeine when I started atkins about 3 years ago.... worst friggen
3-week head ache I EVER had....... totally sucked.....
but, even though I didn't maintain the program for more than about a year,
and did regain + some more weight, I never went back to reg coffee....
I only* drink a little reg coffee once in awhile, and only to make the 7-11
decaf taste a bit better.....
--good luck....
--Sherpa