PDA

View Full Version : My pump is broke...please help

dreamsicle
04-27-2002, 10:34 AM
I recently bought a 78 Hallett, BBC, Berkley JG pump, with an A impeller. I bought the boat knowing it needed an engine, built a new one and put it in. I ran the new engine without hooking it up to the pump(like I learned from the forum...Thanks) then hooked it up to the driveshaft. I pulled the coil wire off and cranked the engine to make sure the impeller turns. The driveshaft turns but the impeller does not. Does the impeller have any kind of shear pin or is the shaft broke? Thanks for any help anyone can give, and for all the other help I have gotten just by searching past posts.

HYDROMOBILE
04-27-2002, 10:53 AM
THER IS A 1/4 INCH KEY THAT HOLDS THE EMPELLER FROM SLIPPING PLUS A SHAFT NUT, Jim

GM Killer
04-27-2002, 10:58 AM
Chances are the key didnt move or break, and the shaft is most likely intact, but the impellor is toast. Sounds like it is locked into the wear ring. In other words, the pump seized up. good luck

Wet Dream
04-27-2002, 11:49 AM
How do you know if the impellar is turning or not? Where did you look? Can you free spin the impellar?

dreamsicle
04-27-2002, 12:51 PM
I had someone else turn the engine over while I looked through the nozzle. What is my next step? Should I pull the back of the pump off to inspect the impeller? I tried to reach inside and turn the impeller and it won't budge.
[This message has been edited by dreamsicle (edited April 27, 2002).]

comin' unscrewed
04-27-2002, 01:04 PM
If you were looking through the nozzle, then you were looking at the exit vanes in the bowl, NOT the impeller. You must look through the intake under the boat to see it.

Wet Dream
04-27-2002, 01:10 PM
Thats exactly what I thought. What you are looking at is where the vanes in the bowl straighten the water flow. THIS DOES NOT TURN. I'm sure you're ok on the pump. Go boating.
PS, I have a Hallett too. Email me a pic if you have one.
[This message has been edited by Wet Dream (edited April 27, 2002).]

dreamsicle
04-27-2002, 01:18 PM
Should I say this was just a joke, or should I admit how stupid I am? I'll go with the truth. I am an idiot. I was looking at the exit vanes. The impeller is turning. Thank you all for the help. Now I just need to finish some wiring, and I am ready to hit the water.

TaylorLP20
04-28-2002, 01:00 AM
Don't be afraid to ask qustions, even if you think there stupid. This is how you will learn! I thought the same thing when I first got mine. Now I know better!
At least the answer to your question brought you some good news!
Happy Jettin!

Jungle Boy
04-28-2002, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by dreamsicle:
Should I say this was just a joke, or should I admit how stupid I am? I'll go with the truth. I am an idiot. I was looking at the exit vanes. The impeller is turning. Thank you all for the help. Now I just need to finish some wiring, and I am ready to hit the water.
Don't forget to put a cork in the little hole at the back of the boat. It keeps the water from entering the boat. J/K. Have fun boating.

Wet Dream
04-28-2002, 07:24 AM
Hell, I'll admit it too, looking through the nozzle, I thought that was the impeller. Don't feel bad about any questions. I usually ask the stupid ones and everyone else that was afraid to ask usually ends up learning someting. I still want to see what your boat looks like. Got one you can email?

dreamsicle
04-28-2002, 07:53 AM
Thank you all again for the help, and yes I was very much relieved to find I was wrong.
Sorry Wet Dream but I still don't have any pictures, but I will try to get some soon. Mine is Orange and like an off white. One of my kids said it looked like a dreamsicle...hence the screen name.

Hallett19
04-29-2002, 09:38 AM
Not to make fun or anything, but that is too funny about trying to spin the exit vanes, I had a friend do the same thing when I first bought my boat, "dude, this fan is not turning when you had the motor on". I am thinking "wtf", then I just looked around the inside of the housing, called him a douch bag and went about my business. Post some pics of your Hallet man, I got one too, if you didnt notice by the name.....

mister460
04-29-2002, 02:10 PM
Suuuuure Hallet! A "friend" of yours, huh?!? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif I'm sure we all have "friends" like that.