PDA

View Full Version : A supercharged AND turbocharged engine?

MagicMtnDan
04-20-2006, 09:46 PM
VW launches TSI petrol injection technology
19th April 2006
Following its TDI and FSI engines, Volkswagen is launching TSI petrol technology, which uses direct injection plus dual-charging through a combination of an engine-driven supercharger and an exhaust gas turbocharger arranged in series.
VW says the driving characteristics of the new TSI engine are improved over those of the current FSI unit, with no turbo lag and high maximum torque. The belt-driven supercharger operates at lower engine speeds, with the turbocharger coming in as the engine speed increases.
The new TSI engine has a capacity of 1.4 litres (1,390 cc) and produces either 140 or 170 PS. The 170 PS version has the same peak power as a conventional 2.3-litre petrol unit but with 20% lower fuel consumption, returning 38.2 mpg on the combined cycle. It produces torque of 177 lbs ft (240 Nm) from 1,750 through to 4,500 rpm.
The combination of these technologies enables a small capacity engine with a high compression ratio to cruise at part load on high gearing to combine ‘dramatic performance with exceptional fuel consumption for a petrol engine’.
At the same time, the VW Golf range will be joined by a new 2.0-litre TDI engine producing 170 PS – the most powerful diesel unit ever produced for a Golf.
A development of the 2.0-litre 140 PS TDI engine, the new unit uses Piezo electric elements to control the fuel injection, thus maximising power output but minimising consumption and emissions. Emissions are further reduced by a maintenance-free particulate filter.

Jordy
04-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Detroit Diesel ran the supercharged/turbo route for years with the old ground shaking 2 strokes. I see no reason why they can't adapt the technology now and make it better with a 4 stroke. Nothing like the sound of a screamin' 2 stroke Detroit. Too bad emissions regs are forcing them out. Great in genset applications too.

NorCal Gameshow
04-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Detroit Diesel ran the supercharged/turbo route for years with the old ground shaking 2 strokes. I see no reason why they can't adapt the technology now and make it better with a 4 stroke. Nothing like the sound of a screamin' 2 stroke Detroit. Too bad emissions regs are forcing them out. Great in genset applications too.
A Diesel Audi won at sebring last month :idea:

Jordy
04-20-2006, 10:14 PM
A Diesel Audi won at sebring last month :idea:
I'm telling you right now, with gas prices going the way that they are, diesel is going to become huge across the boards. I've often thought of picking up a Cig without power and throwing a pair of Yanmars in it (I'm a Yanmar dealer through work). With what theyr'e doing performance wise on some of these boats, and what is going on in Europe with the diesel powered car market, it's only a matter of time. Personally, I'll never buy another gas powered truck. The performance diesel market in trucks is just being realized, and even more so in the car market. It's the wave of the future.

NorCal Gameshow
04-20-2006, 10:22 PM
some vegetable oil, methanol and a couple of drums you can brew your own :cool:

Jordy
04-20-2006, 10:33 PM
I know people that are getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 52 mpg out of their TDI Jettas with manual transmissions and they still drive them like a regular car, without babying them all that much. I drive my crewcab 2500HD long bed 4X4 on 285's like a racecar (it will run 14 second 1/4's and broil the tires through about 4th gear) and get 16 mpg without the boat. About 14 with it. Last gasser I had was lucky to get 8 if I did the feather foot thing and was very easy on it. I'm sold. ;)

ROZ
04-20-2006, 10:47 PM
So true.. my brother spends a lot of time in Scottland... The last "gas" car he drove over there was a Ferrari.... Everything is diesel. BMW makes a pretty quick Deisel 5 series too :cool:
I bet this country makes a SERIOUS turn around in the new vehicle market over the new year... Some of us will be forced to..

john f2000
04-20-2006, 10:52 PM
I rented an Audi A8 in Germany and after doing 120mph on the autobahn went to fill up the tank. I didnt realise it was a diesel untill then. They burn a cleaner diesel there and the car made no diesel sounds and didnt require a warm up on the glow plugs to start. It ran just like a gas car with alot more torque.

NorCal Gameshow
04-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Why does diesel cost more per gallon ? extra taxes ? I was under the impression there is less processing for diesel. ultra low sulphur diesel is coming, are they charging for the upgrades now ?

Jordy
04-20-2006, 10:58 PM
They burn a cleaner diesel there
I don't know about that. They keep cleaning it up here and it's only going to get worse. Get ready starting in '07 for the next tier of diesel emissions regulations. :notam:
What people don't understand, aside from the smoke and particulate matter, which can be controlled for the most part (aside from the guys with tuners) by regular maintenance, is that diesel is a cleaner burning fuel. It has a far more complete combustion burn, is much more efficent because of that, and pretty much everything that exits the tailpipe on a diesel ends up on the ground, not in the atmosphere. I believe they're cracking down on the NOX and particulate counts in the emission regulations.

Jordy
04-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Why does diesel cost more per gallon ? extra taxes ? I was under the impression there is less processing for diesel. ultra low sulphur diesel is coming, are they charging for the upgrades now ?
My theory has always been, and I could be wrong, is that it has to do with the oil companies looking at the sheer amount of diesel trucks being sold. I remember when diesel used to be at least 30 cents a gallon cheaper than gas. Then everyone started getting diesel trucks. Started as a $3,000 option, and grew from there. I figured that the oil companies looked at is as a luxury charge for the surcharge paid for the option.
However, in light of the latest emissions regulations, there is indeed more processing involved in making the lower sulfer "clean" diesel. The newer diesels with the common rail injection won't notice the lower sulfer levels like the guys with the older injection pumps who require the sulfer for lubricty for the seals in their injection pumps. Diesel used to just be a byproduct of the gas that was produced, however, now, based upon processing, it's the new super unleaded and seems to be priced accordingly.
That's just my understanding of what's going on, combined with my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

ROZ
04-20-2006, 11:08 PM
I don't know about that.
Not that it's cleaner, but more of the fuel injected into the cylinder is burned. Basically it's a better burning fuel over there.

NorCal Gameshow
04-20-2006, 11:09 PM
when I look at the breakdown of crude products per barrel. they put diesel in the same category as heating oil . I wonder if it competes with the heating oil on processing and pricing.

ROZ
04-20-2006, 11:12 PM
when I look at the breakdown of crude products per barrel. they put diesel in the same category as heating oil . I wonder if it competes with the heating oil on processing and pricing.
Could be.. Both are slow burning...

Jordy
04-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Here, I stole this off your other post in the bullshit Bush and gas prices thread:
What a barrel of crude oil makes.
Product Gallons per Barrel
Gasoline 19.4
Distillate Fuel Oil 9.7
(Includes both home heating oil and diesel fuel)
Kerosene-Type Jet Fuel 4.3
Coke 2.0
Residual Fuel Oil 1.9
(Heavy oils used as fuels in industry, marine
transportation, and for electric power generation)
Liquefied Refinery Gases 1.9
Still Gas 1.8
Asphalt and Road Oil 1.4
Petrochemical Feedstocks 1.1
Lubricants 0.5
Kerosene 0.2
Other 0.4
Figures are based on average yields for U.S. refineries in 2000. One
barrel contains 42 gallons of crude oil. The total volume of products
made is 2.6 gallons greater than the original 42 gallons of crude oil.
This represents “processing gain.”
The only thing I'm curious about would be the differntiating line between Jet A/Kerosene and Diesel. I know diesel and heating oil are dirty fuels, compared to Jet-A. If you figure that into the mix with the fuel oil, it's about the same as the gas. Diesel is a universal fuel. I've had generators out on the front lines of the fire scenes where they only had Jet A to fuel their helicopters and they ran great around the clock for months at a time. Jet A is like super diesel. Talked to a few guys at the airport when I was getting av for my old boats. Said some of the Ford guys with dual tanks would fill one with diesel and one with Jet-A and switch tanks to the jet when they needed more get up and go running up hills.